Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Duke gimme a shout if you're stuck for any other random e11 tack. I've a rake of stuff thrown around for them.

I probably have owners manuals but I wouldn't think I've any brochures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

These guys have fairly quick delivery nationwide:

http://www.eireplates.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Duke gimme a shout if you're stuck for any other random e11 tack. I've a rake of stuff thrown around for them.

I probably have owners manuals but I wouldn't think I've any brochures.

Thanks, I don't think I need anything at the minute but I might drop you a pm if something comes up.

I'm only looking for the brochure to look nice in with the other books in the glovebox :o No big deal if I don't find one but it'd be nice to have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I've bought genuine fitted rubber floor mats for that authentic culchie feeling. Replaced a cracked wing mirror repeater and a new set of wipers. That'll do for now.

Had German plates on mine a while back, nah they don't look right. Was looking up rubber floor mats the other day, save the carpet ones for the summer. Have you a pic of them, I've a fair idea what genuine ones look like but can't find them online. Dealer job it looks like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Rubber floor mats are one of my biggest pet hates in a car even the OE ones look terrible OE fitted carpet ones all the way for me.

CIP4 wrote:
    Rubber floor mats are one of my biggest pet hates in a car even the OE ones look terrible OE fitted carpet ones all the way for me.

Ya I prefer carpet, but they're not always practical, especially this time of the year and when you live in the country!

Has VRT increased recently?! Looking at a few yokes and the VRT makes an absolute cnut of everything. Hardly worth importing anything.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I have to say lads, I went near 3 years in the Honda without spending anything on "accessories".
    Black mesh grille was a must for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Had German plates on mine a while back, nah they don't look right. Was looking up rubber floor mats the other day, save the carpet ones for the summer. Have you a pic of them, I've a fair idea what genuine ones look like but can't find them online. Dealer job it looks like

Will post a pic in the daylight tomorrow. They are excellent, very heavy and they aren't flat, they curl up around 50mm on every edge so dirt can't spill over the edge of them. €38 from the dealer, I just bought fronts, it was nearly the same again for rears.
    Nixonbot wrote: »
    Black mesh grille was a must for me!

I always thought the full glass grille made them a bit unique, I liked it. I'd agree though that the mesh grille takes years off the car, the glass was very dated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

45572535_10156031711242947_6480247747126493184_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=0f12e3c0154af6c56c8164fc38ec2e89&oe=5C6ADE8D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Could someone in the know clarify an issue for me, i have a 2005 VW Golf, 1.6 petrol, it is not my main runner, ,mileage is 251,000km's, i have only done 500km's since i bought it, 300 since it passed the NCT, i had it out for a spin the other day and the clutch pedal is starting to get a bit high, i don't know when the clutch was last done, if ever. Would i be mad to change the flywheel if i change out the entire clutch kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Could someone in the know clarify an issue for me, i have a 2005 VW Golf, 1.6 petrol, it is not my main runner, ,mileage is 251,000km's, i have only done 500km's since i bought it, 300 since it passed the NCT, i had it out for a spin the other day and the clutch pedal is starting to get a bit high, i don't know when the clutch was last done, if ever. Would i be mad to change the flywheel if i change out the entire clutch kit?

I think you'd be mad to change a clutch based on the pedal feeling a bit high.

If the clutch is slipping go for it, but if it aint broke.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

I think you'd be mad to change a clutch based on the pedal feeling a bit high.

If the clutch is slipping go for it, but if it aint broke.....

Yeah it isn't slipping, but being high gives the impression it is worn quite a bit. Had a release bearing go on me in a car one time without warning though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Put it into top gear and floor it at low revs. If the revs go up progressively as the speed increases, then your clutch is still fine. As it gets more and more worn, it will start to 'bite' later and later, and start to feel softer, but as long as it's not slipping why fix something that's not broken?

You'll know when it goes because the revs will jump instantly but the speed won't increase or increase quite slowly. To begin with the revs will jump and settle down straight away but as it starts to slip more the revs will stay higher for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Put it into top gear and floor it at low revs. If the revs go up progressively as the speed increases, then your clutch is still fine. As it gets more and more worn, it will start to 'bite' later and later, and start to feel softer, but as long as it's not slipping why fix something that's not broken?

You'll know when it goes because the revs will jump instantly but the speed won't increase or increase quite slowly. To begin with the revs will jump and settle down straight away but as it starts to slip more the revs will stay higher for longer.

And once it starts slipping, you can get around 6 months of pretending to have an automatic before changing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Quick one for you lads

What are we making of black lion tyres ?

Just looking around online for info and they are getting good reviews but are made by the sailun / jinyu company

Had / have jinyus on the BMW because they came with the car and I'm wearing them off but the tyre garage are recommending the blacklions as a good replacement of good quality

Currently getting one fitted to a different car and I'm not sure what to make of them.

Should point out I have gotten rid of two of the jinyus and replaced the front 2 with blacklions also. But because their on the front I can't really judge

Just wondering anyone here can compare them to say a Dunlop or Firestone in terms of quality etc ?

Hate the likes of hi-fly / jinyus etc so like to keep near the top of the ranges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Stay away from them if you ask me. You have one life. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

joujoujou wrote: »
    Stay away from them if you ask me. You have one life. :)

That bad ?

I don't like the fact who makes them, that poxy Chinese crowd Sailun / jinyu but they get great reviews

Plus their not the cheapest on the market but a good price none the less

Unregistered Users

What sort of reviews you're talking about? I would not trust random drivers going 5 miles to tesco and back again and claiming they're awesome. Did you check how much more would you pay online for decent enough brand?

• Advertisement

What sort of reviews you're talking about? I would not trust random drivers going 5 miles to tesco and back again and claiming they're awesome. Did you check how much more would you pay online for decent enough brand?

Online reviews from Google from tyre reviews UK etc.

Not word of mouth.

They are priced competitively to a named brand.

But thinking about it I probably would be more comfortable with a Dunlop or similar on my car.

The one that got fitted today was to a different car, a small hatch back

Unregistered Users

Missus got Chinese tyres once. I wouldn't even consider fitting them to horse drawn carriage. Got one of the cheapest European brands after that and difference was like night and day. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

What kind of prices are you being quoted?

Can't find them on Openeo/Camskill/tyreleader

What kind of prices are you being quoted?

Can't find them on Openeo/Camskill/tyreleader

Can't remember what I paid for the BMW but it was cheap I remember.

The car today was running 205/50/17 and just got the one for €75

I'm nearly sure I got a pair for my BMW for €150 - €170 on 225/50/17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Its the grip rating you need to be aware of, not the brand name. Cheap Chinese are exactly that, cheap. All tyres are made in china nowadays anyway, just different brand names and obviously different ratings. there are also noise ratings, which personally, I would rate second after grip rating.

Unregistered Users

cadaliac wrote: »
    [...] All tyres are made in china nowadays anyway,[...]

No, they're not. Just recalling some recent purchases: Germany, Portugal, France, Finland, Russia, Poland and Czech Republic.

• Advertisement

No, they're not.
    *most*
    apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Missus got Chinese tyres once. I wouldn't even consider fitting them to horse drawn carriage. Got one of the cheapest European brands after that and difference was like night and day. :)
    Friend of mine bought a car with Chinese tyres.
    Took a corner hard and the thread peeled off one like an orange skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I had Barum tyres on a Mondeo ST a few years back and they were a decent budget tyre. I had Matador tyres before and they were ok too. Budget brands but not in the same vein as the chinese stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

cadaliac wrote: »
    Its the grip rating you need to be aware of, not the brand name. Cheap Chinese are exactly that, cheap. All tyres are made in china nowadays anyway, just different brand names and obviously different ratings. there are also noise ratings, which personally, I would rate second after grip rating.
    the grip ratings are self appointed though.

colm_mcm wrote: »

Was just about to say the model tyre on my car, the tyre label says

Wet grip "B"
    Fuel "C"
    Noise "71DB"

On the other car they it's a different model tyre and also show
    Wet grip "B"
    Fuel "E"
    Noise "71DB"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

I always buy wet grip A. the difference in stopping distance between an A rated Tyre and a G rated one is 18 metres. That's the difference between stopping and killing someone. It just cost me €961 for Michelin Pilot sports. I could have bought chinese crap for under €500. I really can't believe that they even make a budget 275/35/19

I have Nexen N'FERA RU1 on a Kia Sorento, they were/are also OE on the Porshe Macan........... they have stopped me once or twice in an oh fnck moment where I didn't think I was going to stop in time.

I think the N'FERA RU1 are SUV only type sizes but Nexan seem to be fairly cheap as tyres go and they OE on lots of other stuff too.

Their N blue HD Plus is OE on Superbs and Ovtavias in some markets.

https://www.nexentire.com/international/product/original_equipment/

there's 25k kms on the N'FERA RU1 on my yoke and there's maybe just under 5mm on the fronts and just over 5mm on the rears, it's an AWD thing that's predominantly FrontWD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Augeo wrote: »

Looks like they are OE on every Hyundai and Kia.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Pops_20

I find people on here go over the top with their opinions on "cheap Chinese rubbish" tyres.

I have had four Triangle Sportex TSH11 (made in China) fitted to two different 1.25L Fiestas over the last 2 years and I find them to be a great tyre. Great grip in all conditions, wearing well and low noise.

There are good and bad tyres manufactured in all regions of the world. Quote the brand name and model/size of the tyre. Don't tar them all with the same brush.

colm_mcm wrote: »

So who, if anyone, do you believe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Got my first puncture in 4 years today bolt through the thread couldn't plug it��

Good and bad news for the E46.

My insurance broker says I can get it insured for only €715 next year. By way of reference, it cost me €2295 this time last year! For a car that will be 16 years old next year and has a 2.5 litre engine, that's seriously good.

However the money saved won't be lasting for too long, because the diff bearings are past it. I've noticed a grumbling sound for a while above 60 km/h and it's been driving me mad, so at least I finally know what the problem is.

It has me concerned to say the least, because I know bearings tend to make a noise for a while before just giving up, so needless to say it's going to be back in the garage again as soon as I can find time. I remember the last time I ignored a bearing noise I needed a new gearbox :rolleyes: so I will not be making that mistake again for sure.

I had planned on finally getting around to sorting out rust and wheels early in the New Year but they're gonna have to wait yet again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cars are a labor of love.

Good and bad news for the E46.

However the money saved won't be lasting for too long, because the diff bearings are past it. I've noticed a grumbling sound for a while above 60 km/h and it's been driving me mad, so at least I finally know what the problem is.

It has me concerned to say the least, because I know bearings tend to make a noise for a while before just giving up, so needless to say it's going to be back in the garage again as soon as I can find time.

Try some xado additive before you go rebuilding or replacing the diff.

My diff has had an awful whining noise from 50 km/h and above for nearly a year now. I added xado during the week and it seems to have cured the worst of the noise. I didn't have any confidence that it would work but since it's only 20 quid I tried it and it worked.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Old BMW's are a labor of love.

Fixed that for you Bazz.

• Advertisement

Pops_20 wrote: »
    Try some xado additive before you go rebuilding or replacing the diff.

My diff has had an awful whining noise from 50 km/h and above for nearly a year now. I added xado during the week and it seems to have cured the worst of the noise. I didn't have any confidence that it would work but since it's only 20 quid I tried it and it worked.

The diff oil was changed only last month and an additive was added in, made no difference at all unfortunately!

Taking short cuts with the car isn't an option for me. I've made the decision to stick with the diff I know, aside from the fact that I expect it will be almost impossible to find a manual E46 325 diff in this country (there's plenty in the UK, but I'd imagine postage won't be cheap), I could be back in the same boat again with a used diff, so I'd rather get all bearings replaced now and hopefully that will keep the car happy. To be fair, this is the first serious problem I've had with it since this time last year, it's been solid out the whole year actually!

I must talk to my mechanic when I get it back on Saturday but I'm off the first week of January, so I'll bring it to him then if he's open.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

ofcork wrote: »
    Got my first puncture in 4 years today bolt through the thread couldn't plug it��
    Bet it was a high tensile bolt into a cheap chinese tyre :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

The diff oil was changed only last month and an additive was added in, made no difference at all unfortunately!

Taking short cuts with the car isn't an option for me. I've made the decision to stick with the diff I know, aside from the fact that I'd imagine it will be very difficult to find a manual E46 325 diff in this country (plenty in the UK, but I'd imagine postage won't be cheap), I could be back in the same boat again with a used diff, so I'd rather get all bearings replaced now and hopefully that will keep the car happy. To be fair, this is the first serious problem I've had with it since this time last year, it's been solid out the whole year actually!

I must talk to my mechanic when I get it back on Saturday but I'm off the first week of January, so I'll bring it to him then if he's open.

I had the diff for a W124 rebuilt in Cork for about €700.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Taking short cuts with the car isn't an option for me. I've made the decision to stick with the diff I know, aside from the fact that I'd imagine it will be very difficult to find a manual E46 325 diff in this country (plenty in the UK, but I'd imagine postage won't be cheap), I could be back in the same boat again with a used diff, so I'd rather get all bearings replaced now and hopefully that will keep the car happy.

There's a fella the Roscommon side of Ballygar who specialises in rebuilding diffs. He can also convert them to lsd's and he definitely has experience with e46 diffs, although I'd imagine is200 diffs are his bread and butter.

Could be an option for you. From what I hear he's both reasonably priced and good at what he does.

Wrong side of the country for ya though.

+1

They were the crowd I text you about earlier LH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Might be a good opportunity to get the LSD. Possibly not really needed on the car though. Think the rear wheels on those m sports are 255 section. I have a 320ci and I think an LSD would be wasted on it, and on me. The 2.5 might be different though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

There's a fella the Roscommon side of Ballygar who specialises in rebuilding diffs. He can also convert them to lsd's and he definitely has experience with e46 diffs, although I'd imagine is200 diffs are his bread and butter.

Could be an option for you. From what I hear he's both reasonably priced and good at what he does.

Wrong side of the country for ya though.

Mr N?

Does quality work ;)

Karcher K4 compact for 139.99 in Aldi at the moment. 60 less than what i paid 6 months ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Emmersonn wrote: »
    Bet it was a high tensile bolt into a cheap chinese tyre :rolleyes:

Wasn't a cheap Chinese tyre.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

ofcork wrote: »
    Wasn't a cheap Chinese tyre.
    Lighten up man did you not see the smilwy face :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement