Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Dug out the old iron X and tar X from the garage today. After a normal wash, the white still really shows how much tar and grime doesn't get lifted, car is nearly yellow after a wash. Not sure if these two products are still regarded as the best fall out and tar removers but they work great.

This was taken after I washed the car....
    IMG-20190119-145141.jpg

IMG-20190119-145512.jpg

IMG-20190119-155836.jpg

IMG-20190119-155847.jpg

IMG-20190119-155906.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

OSI wrote: »
    And so begins CIP4s marathon of man maths :pac: I'll go with red for the new A4.

Well like it needs an alloy repaired or replaced and then the skirt sprayed thats a lot of work would be better to just cut my loses and move it on at this stage. This is a sign :pac: S3 you mean ;)
    JoeA3 wrote: »
    Unless you made a dogs dinner of the alloy it’ll be easily refurbished for less than a hundred quid.

No need to upgrade the whole car ;)

Handier from a time perspective to just try get a secondhand one as I don't have a 5th wheel to be able to drive around on for a week while the other is gone. AFAIK there is no one decent to do it in kilkenny either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

CIP4 wrote: »
    Well like it needs an alloy repaired or replaced and then the skirt sprayed thats a lot of work would be better to just cut my loses and move it on at this stage. This is a sign :pac: S3 you mean ;)

Handier from a time perspective to just try get a secondhand one as I don't have a 5th wheel to be able to drive around on for a week while the other is gone. AFAIK there is no one decent to do it in kilkenny either.

There's a good place in Carlow I believe, recommended by a bodyshop, which isn't too far. They might have a spare they can lend you.

I can get the details next week.

.....Rang Audi to price a new alloy that really didn’t help my mood when they quoted a cost (for the alloy) that a lot of people would consider a good weeks salary.

So less than a week's salary for you so is the subtle message :pac:

Augeo wrote: »
    So less than a week's salary for you so is the subtle message :pac:

Ah well I didn't intend it to sound like that not exactly something to brag about anyway that you can afford to buy one Audi Alloy with a weeks salary :pac:

I found a fairly decent looking genuine OE one secondhand in Germany for ok money so bought it that should do me plus I will have a spare now that I can keep as a spare or get refurbed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭job seeker

Ah well I didn't intend it to sound like that not exactly something to brag about anyway that you can afford to buy one Audi Alloy with a weeks salary :pac:

I found a fairly decent looking genuine OE one secondhand in Germany for ok money so bought it that should do me plus I will have a spare now that I can keep as a spare or get refurbed etc.

What website? I am looking for a particular oem Honda alloy and I can't find another one anywhere online.

job seeker wrote: »
    What website? I am looking for a particular oem Honda alloy and I can't find another one anywhere online.

eBay if you get the part number and just type that in you should get something. I bought one of it before for my B8 and it turned out to be in good condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

What happened on the M50 today that was big enough to close it in both directions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Patww79 wrote: »
    What happened on the M50 today that was big enough to close it in both directions?

Girl on the bridge between junctions 12 & 13. Reopened now so looks like they got her down safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Girl on the bridge between junctions 12 & 13. Reopened now so looks like they got her down safe.

Ah. I was wondering why details were so sketchy initially. Makes sense, thanks.

• Advertisement

Just remembered have the A4 a year today. The joint record holders are still the Megane and Leon which both lasted 14 months so the A4 will surely beat that.

Got it cleaned yesterday and almost looks odd now clean as I had kind of got used to it looking dirty over last 2 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

I can't imagine changing a car every year.

Engines maybe.... but the car remains the same.

Dartz wrote: »

Yes I never plan it just works out that way would love to keep a car for 5 years as it would be far cheaper than constantly changing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

At last, my 325 is back on the road.

It was definitely worth the wait, it drives the way I imagine these cars drove when they were brand new - which is to say very well indeed.

With its new window seals and its type 188k diff rebuild kit, it's so much quieter than before (although there is a worn driver's door seal that needs to be addressed and then it will be properly quiet :o:rolleyes:).

The carrier bearings were the source of all my problems with the diff, there were some burn marks on them (don't ask me how) and this is why it was making strange noises under acceleration in 5th from about 60 to 80 or trying to hold 115-120 up a hill on the motorway, there was also a wheel bearing like sound for good measure above about 30 km/h. As you can imagine, the noises from the diff were really spoiling the way the car drove, especially at higher speeds when the diff was under load. Thankfully, it's all gone now. The rebuild kit includes pinion bearings (head and tail), a pinion bearing preload crush spacer (whatever that is), as well as the aforementioned carrier bearings.

The Bilstein shocks and suspension refresh have transformed the ride, no wonder Bilstein have such a good reputation, and it handles and steers a bit sweeter for good measure (although I'm sure the new steering coupler helps as well). It also got a new propshaft bearing so it's even smoother than it used to be under load.

Obviously none of this came cheap but it's worth it every cent:D!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

And just like that, that's the Avensis retired as my daily driver. 378k kms, having put up 57k kms since October 2017. A fairly anonymous bland car that's had one very interesting life with me, serving me well and beyond. From charging up snow infested hills to tramping across fields and towing cars, being regularly fully loaded with coal, building equipment and once s full set of floors for a house. Where did the time go!

In dire need of a battery, clutch and a bit of tidying up, I'll be putting it through it's NCT sometime soon enough. Confident it needs naff all work to pass the test again. It deserves a well earned rest :D

Onto bigger, hideously complex, floppier, cheese eating, beret wearing cars that cost buttons... Have addressed the limp gearbox, wherein I whacked in a replacement ecu I pulled out of thin air. Car now has a working lockup that didn't work before and changes gears far smoother, hopefully that was the problem all along. I do conveniently have a valve body to replace should the gearbox require it in future. There are a few other niggly little bits to address in due time too such as a maggoty drivers door rubber, mouldy seatbelts, change the mfd (it is the wrong screen and I can't set the time so it flashes constantly :p) and disable the tyre pressure monitors along with various other scuttery little bits I can't remember!

Vive la France, for now :cool: :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Dartz wrote: »

That's a problem unique to RX8 owners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The new yoke passed the NCT at lunchtime there - good 'til April 2021. Yurt! :cool:

...Vive la France, for now :cool: :p

Le grande Roquefort, l'odeur des pieds de Dieu. Bien! Is it be any chance a large, flobbery old Citroën?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

jimgoose wrote: »
    Le grande Roquefort, l'odeur des pieds de Dieu. Bien! Is it be any chance a large, flobbery old Citroën?

I'd have loved a floppy Citroen! Alas, tis the next best thing, a floppy 607... Which if my various snippets of procrastinating serve me well, it's bui8lt on the 605 chassis, which in itself shares the platform with the XM... Roundabout Citroën?! :D

The smell of leather is intoxicating and rather alluring :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Browsing through aliexpress... Searching bonnet strut supports - will probably never understand what sort of artificial intelligence they use for "suggested items", because this one appeared:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32948722345.html

And I have to admit number 6 (scroll down for the list) made my day. :D

Think I'll buy one and install it just for the craic. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

joujoujou wrote: »
    Browsing through aliexpress... Searching bonnet strut supports - will probably never understand what sort of artificial intelligence they use for "suggested items", because this one appeared:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32948722345.html

And I have to admit number 6 (scroll down for the list) made my day. :D

Think I'll buy one and install it just for the craic. ;)

LOL that is brilliant! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Very similar switches to what's fitted in buses.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Folks any idea what could be the problem with a very very poor radio signal? Not too bad when stationary, but when moving sometimes no stations will work clearly. Mk6 Golf RNS510. Wires at the back are all plugged in.

Unregistered Users

Poor connection somewhere between a plug and antenna, I'd say. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mayo.

• Advertisement

joujoujou wrote:
    Poor connection somewhere between a plug and antenna, I'd say.

Seems the only logical reason, I'll have to go rooting so!
    colm_mcm wrote:
    Mayo.

Hmm could be, was wondering why they all become clear once I cross into Galway....

Unregistered Users

Before you start dismantling the car, plug something else instead of antenna - 1-2 metre long wire for example, and do a test drive. In some rare cases it's FM part of a stereo acting up.

joujoujou wrote:
    Before you start dismantling the car, plug something else instead of antenna - 1-2 metre long wire for example, and do a test drive. In some rare cases it's FM part of a stereo acting up.

I joined 4 wires just at the back of the radio a few years ago (as the end of the antenna was snipped off) they looked fine at a quick glance but I'd say it's there so!

OSI wrote: »
    Diesel prices are nuts at the moment. I know they had to change the composition which made it more expensive, but just the variance in price from garage to garage is crazy. In a 20 minute drive around Dublin I saw everything from 122.9 to 142.9.

Lot of variation alright. But prithee, tell me more of this composition change?

For some reason there seems to be a big variation in the prices for petrol as well, I filled in Cork on Sunday for 140.5 (Topaz Miles Plus) which I thought was a fair enough price, but on the way back to Dublin I saw the same fuel going for only 131.9, and on the Naas Dual Carriageway of all places.

Odd because normally it's dearer in Dublin than Cork and the main Dublin-Cork/Limerick/Waterford road is rarely the cheapest.

• Advertisement

Lot of variation alright. But prithee, tell me more of this composition change?
    More bio, bio is more expensive, therefore the cost goes up.
    The requirement changed from 7 to 10%

ELM327 wrote: »

Oh yes, of course - that. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

What does the more Bio mean for us peasants driving euro V daysul engines or lower?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is that requirement not to increase the number of forecourt pumps with 7% biodiesel though rather than increasing the existing biodiesel content from 7% to 10%? Afaik most modern diesel engines cannot take more than 7% biodiesel content.

I am very much a layman and do stand to be corrected but it was my understanding from the articles (including stuff posted here) that the content was to be increased from 7% to 10%.... and there was concerns expressed that most diesels can't take 10% bio.

What does the more Bio mean for us peasants driving euro V daysul engines or lower?
    Switch to green or cherry? On the basis that there's no other suitable fuel :cool::pac:

bazz26 wrote: »
    Is that requirement not to increase the number of forecourt pumps with 7% biodiesel though rather than increasing the existing biodiesel content from 7% to 10%? Afaik most modern diesel engines cannot take more than 7% biodiesel content.

I remember now. At worst, some forecourts will feature one pump with 10% biodiesel, which is also called (IIRC) "B10". There is a system of certs in operation which means there are various clever-dick ways of complying with the new regulations which stop short of blowing up Uncle Ger Mick-Mike's 1987 Ascona. Seems to me this accounts somewhat for the discrepancy in prices, with some forecourts sticking with cheaper diesel blends and selling more petrol with bioethanol blended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Ryath

Been done to death already B7 will remain the diesel on forecourts. Only a handful of cars can run on B10 mostly French cars.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057929647

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

The 10% thing hasn't come in yet has it?
    Plus, I think it'll be like unleaded and super in that they'll need separate pumps. Most cars can handle a max of 7% except for the brand new ones I think.

Between my 20 year old petrol BMW and my 13 year old daysul Volvo I'm goosed! Lol!

• Advertisement

Between my 20 year old petrol BMW and my 13 year old daysul Volvo I'm goosed! Lol!

Oddly enough, it looks like cheaper diesel is now the better stuff, and there was never a better case for the odd dose of Dipetane. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I am very much a layman and do stand to be corrected but it was my understanding from the articles (including stuff posted here) that the content was to be increased from 7% to 10%.... and there was concerns expressed that most diesels can't take 10% bio.

There was a good post about it on another thread on here a while back. We can sleep easy for a while more at least is the vibe i get.
    heroics wrote: »
    So as well as the fuel suppliers and BMW I also emailed the Department of Communications, Climate Action & Environment and got the response below. TL:DR - Its to do with the obligation certificates not the actual blend.

"There is no intention at this stage to introduce biodiesel blends which would go beyond the EN590 standard for diesel fuels. All modern diesel cars are compatible with this standard.

There is an increase happening in 2019 to the Biofuels Obligation Scheme where the obligation on fuel suppliers is being increased to 10%. What this means is that fuel suppliers must hold 10 biofuel certificates for every 90 litres of petroleum based fuel they place on the market. Biofuel certificates are awarded on the basis of 2 certificates for biofuels produced from wastes and residues (accounts for over 60%) and one certificate per litre for other biofuels. More information on the scheme can be found at www.nora.ie.

Currently, most if not all of the biofuel blended with fossil diesel is FAME (Fatty Acid Methyl Esters) and EN590 only permits the blending of up to 7% FAME with 93% fossil diesel. Over 90% of the FAME placed on the market over the past few years has been produced from waste products such as used cooking oil and tallow (a residue from the meat processing industry) and as such qualifies for double certificates. There are other biofuels available which can be blended in higher percentages with fossil diesel, such as Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (HVO), and still meet with EN590 standards (and therefore compatible with modern diesel vehicles) but the availability of these fuels is limited currently.

The Department does not expect the increase in 2019 (nor a further increase to 11% due in 2020) to impact on the availability of either B7 or E5 for petrol. Further increases after 2020 may have to address these ‘blend walls’ perhaps by seeking to introduce E10 petrol blends or increasing the use of HVO or other biofuels in diesel fuels. This issue will be addressed next year following a public consultation."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well my thoughts are that you cannot just roll out 10% biodiesel overnight if the majority of the national diesel fleet won't run on it. Fuel retailers and possibly the government would be wide open to all sorts of litigation from people with damaged vehicles.

Edit: Answered above. ^^

Oddly enough, it looks like cheaper diesel is now the better stuff, and there was never a better case for the odd dose of Dipetane. :D

Can't bate it! I'd be tempted to have sup of it myself and see would it clean me out!

It's certainly meant to have happened........

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/news-and-media/press-releases/Pages/Minister-Bruton-Announces-Increase-in-Level-of-Renewable-Energy-Used-in-Transport-Sector.aspx

".......In addition to an increase from 8% to 10% from the 1st of January 2019....."

But........
    https://www.circlek.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/milesPLUS_diesel.pdf
    "......miles PLUS diesel contains up to 7%
    biodiesel (FAME acc. to EN 14214)"

Fortunately your E36 will be fine - all petrol BMWs are approved for using E10 regardless of the year of manufacture.

Pretty much every petrol can use it actually bar some very early direct injection stuff.

B10 won't be forced on any diesel owner for now at least, just as well since very few cars are approved for it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Had to pick up a dip stick tube for my car earlier, mechanic asked me to get it while it was in for a service and complete brake replacement. Saw 2 brand new r's, and a club sport tdi from 2016. Didn't like the seats in the club sport, and 'coz I have kids, no rear doors would have killed me. But the r really tickled my fancy. Almost same blue as my bus too.

She'd kill me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Had to bring the wife to collect some party stuff, dip in the road ripped off the chrome tip on the rear exhaust..... Dang it road.

It bottomed out on the front and the rear.

Had to bring the wife to collect some party stuff, dip in the road ripped off the chrome tip on the rear exhaust..... Dang it road.

It bottomed out on the front and the rear.

Were you pushing on? I did that in an Audi A8 once, thought I was doing about 110kmh, was doing 165kmh. Got a woeful fright with the bang..

• Advertisement

beertons wrote: »
    Had to pick up a dip stick tube for my car earlier, mechanic asked me to get it while it was in for a service and complete brake replacement. Saw 2 brand new r's, and a club sport tdi from 2016. Didn't like the seats in the club sport, and 'coz I have kids, no rear doors would have killed me. But the r really tickled my fancy. Almost same blue as my bus too.

She'd kill me though.

Are they making Club sport diesels these days as in GTDs ?

Kind of gone slightly obsessed with Golf Rs myself since watching a few videos on the UK based 600bhp one but even unmodified ones seem to be quite impressive. Only thing that would bother me is they seem to attract a lot of the wrong attention e.g. being stolen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement