Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Definitely no clubsport TDI's i think i know the car Beertons is referring too, grey 3door DSG with black wheels and wingbacks ? I was leering at it myself when i was in there. I'd have the seats in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

OSI wrote: »
    Diesel prices are nuts at the moment. I know they had to change the composition which made it more expensive, but just the variance in price from garage to garage is crazy. In a 20 minute drive around Dublin I saw everything from 122.9 to 142.9.

With Diesel you have completely different composition throughout the year anyway with Summer and Winter Diesel because of Cloud point, waxing, gelling and all the good stuff. God petrol is a lot simpler when you think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Texaco Clonkeen Road today was petrol 131.9 and diesel 129.9, done remember ever seeing them so closely priced or maybe I just havn't been paying attention.

Every diesel drive i know can tell me the price of diesel in 5 different towns, i couldn't tell you the price of petrol where i buy it. That's not a brag i'm far from flush but you buy a petrol car to use petrol , no point obsessing over it. Any time owned a diesel i was the same lol

I know people who will drive 3 or 3 towns away to save 5c a litre that's on average a saving of about 3 euro a tank - madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Were you pushing on? I did that in an Audi A8 once, thought I was doing about 110kmh, was doing 165kmh. Got a woeful fright with the bang..

About 5km/h....

Pitch dark, side street turn off and road is like a v..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

tossy wrote: »
    I'd have the seats in a heartbeat.

As would the fellas that like knocking on your door at 3am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Definitely no clubsport TDI's i think i know the car Beertons is referring too, grey 3door DSG with black wheels and wingbacks ? I was leering at it myself when i was in there. I'd have the seats in a heartbeat.

Is there a link to this car. I'm intrigued.

Is there a link to this car. I'm intrigued.

https://www.sheehymotors.ie/search/ad/24308507

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

That looks a million times better than an R.

That looks a million times better than an R.

I agree, there is a white 3 door clubsport near me that's probably the best looking MK7 i've seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Just posting to offer my 2 cents for today. Midlands, lovely stretch of relatively new 7k stretch of straight road. Travel on it regularly and although 80kph many push 120 -130 when overtaking.

Safely progressing at 100 , white i40 burns up quickly and stays. After 1 min and about 2 km of following and me after using up the daily allowance of non stick deodorant the blues come on. Fuk.

Burns past me at 120 + and on.

The feeling I had was near orgasmic. I gave him an imaginary nod as if to say thanks bud, were all on the same boat etc.....

How much was that golf new?

vintagevrs wrote: »
    How much was that golf new?

Not sure probably pretty close to the price of an R if not the same price considering the seats were probably 2/3k. That's where the trouble starts , i think the Clubsport is a nicer looking car but for the same money i'd take a similar spec R.

It probably holds its value better so therefore cheaper to own. Hard to know though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

That Golf with those boxes ticked would have been 55k++.
    VW Ireland brought a bunch of them in here, and spec’d them with MPH clocks “just in case”. They ended up shipping a lot of them across to the U.K.

Priced about right so on the face of it, asking price of 70% of the new price at 18 months old :)
    40k kms is more than you'd expect on a car like that but it's not a whole pile of miles either.

A buddy has a normal Golf GTi '17 reg too iirc and I think the normal one looks just right, this one is a tad OTT imo but I'm very conservative to be fair, and old too. Dare I say I reckon the 5 doors actually look more balanced or something.

111361118.jpg?h=1000&w=1000

111361121.jpg?h=1000&w=1000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I kept an eye on on Golfs myself, but funny thing is, that there are more R golfs then GTI!

I like R, but GTI would be a nice golden spot for daily driving. Can't see being reasonable to run with 300hp, petrol and 4 wheel drive. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I kept an eye on on Golfs myself, but funny thing is, that there are more R golfs then GTI!

I like R, but GTI would be a nice golden spot for daily driving. Can't see being reasonable to run with 300hp, petrol and 4 wheel drive. :)

Never say that..... More power

Never say that..... More power

Hey, I am poor, I can't afford Rs to run. :D I am not Clarkson or 19 anymore. My days of more power are gone too.

Hey, I am poor, I can't afford Rs to run. :D I am not Clarkson or 19 anymore. My days of more power are gone too.

A Relation has a Leon Cupra 290 DSG not 4 Motion I know but he gets fairly good MPG out of it when not driving it hard will comfortably do late 30s I would of thought you'd get mids 30's out of a Golf R driving it normally.

• Advertisement

CIP4 wrote: »
    A Relation has a Leon Cupra 290 DSG not 4 Motion I know but he gets fairly good MPG out of it when not driving it hard will comfortably do late 30s I would of thought you'd get mids 30's out of a Golf R driving it normally.

Not a hope. I’d question your relatives mpg/driving style. Guy in work has a manual cupra 290 and he’s not getting over 30. He’s in his late 50s and wouldn’t drive hard all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Nice and all as the Golf R is, I personally prefer the look of the S3 saloon. Love the proportions and lines on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

No. I averaged 27-28mpg over 2.5 years in one.

I saw mid 30's once on a very very lazy Sunday drive, but that's not what I consider driving "normally".

My plan was always to upgrade to Leon cupra, but they are too steep for me brand new. Second hand ones are very very high priced. 2016 ones going for 27k ish, which is a bit mad, when demo is 33k. New leon is coming 2020, so I wonder if they would do good deals on old cupras.
    I drive 90%+ of Motorway and N road, very little city driving, so I guess I could get okayish mpg out of leon 300.
    Not a hope I could get anything decent put of Golf R. My past experience showed me that petrol, turbo, 4 wheel drive cars will never give okayish mpg. Thats why I was eyeing Golf gtis too.

Nice and all as the Golf R is, I personally prefer the look of the S3 saloon. Love the proportions and lines on it.

S3s are like gold dust though doesn’t even ever seem to be that many Demo ones going around. They would be my preference but the interior let’s them down a tad relevant to the new A1, A4, A5, A6 etc.

OSI wrote: »
    An S3 with same spec as a Golf R is near 15k more.

Coming from an S3 I was looking at S3s but the difference between S3s and Rs in year spec and mileage I was looking for was about 5/6k so I went for an R. It has to be said decent spec and well minded Rs aren’t 10 a penny either.

Mid 20s mpg is where the R will sit for most people. My commute is 50km each way on national roads with little traffic and that's all I was getting. I used to drive it with a light foot the odd time then copped my self on. Saving a euro of fuel to not enjoy the car that's costing thousands on depreciation, tax, insurance tyres etc. So once it was warmed it, it was driven as it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Interesting piece here about post Brexit no deal on UK imports:

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2019/0124/1025161-400-extra-staff-for-revenue-to-deal-with-no-deal-brexit/

Not sure about the VAT bit, if a used car already had VAT paid before the UK leaves the EU but then again if the UK have to pay the UK £40b to divorce the EU then one could assume that figure includes VAT refund therefore meaning any UK used car would then be liable for VAT here the same as if importing one from Japan. That and the customs duty of 20% for diesels and 10% for petrol would practically kill off importing from the UK unless you were really willing to pay for a car you could not get here.

An interesting side effect might be that second hand values here would increase given that for most there would be no choice but to buy here.

Endgame is approaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

bazz26 wrote: »
    Interesting piece here about post Brexit no deal on UK imports:

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2019/0124/1025161-400-extra-staff-for-revenue-to-deal-with-no-deal-brexit/

Not sure about the VAT bit, if a used car already had VAT paid before the UK leaves the EU but then again if the UK have to pay the UK £40b to divorce the EU then one could assume that figure includes VAT refund therefore meaning any UK used car would then be liable for VAT here the same as if importing one from Japan. That and the customs duty of 20% for diesels and 10% for petrol would practically kill off importing from the UK unless you were really willing to pay for a car you could not get here.

An interesting side effect might be that second hand values here would increase given that for most there would be no choice but to buy here.

Endgame is approaching.

They say it will be the same as buying a Jap import, I really wanted to buy something before this happened but anything I want is out of budget plus our car would not sell easily privately...

• Advertisement

Yeah it's looking very much that way making them way more expensive. It will probably come down to how much you really want the car and are willing to pay for it.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Yeah it's looking very much that way making them way more expensive. It will probably come down to how much you really want the car and are willing to pay for it.

I would love a 3.0 G30 but not at the minute so I certainly won't pay over the odds for it!

Truckermal wrote: »
    I would love a 3.0 G30 but not at the minute so I certainly won't pay over the odds for it!

Yeah they are still very new so strong money.

Any thoughts on a 7er? New model G11 here for under 29k now:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201901244261561?onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&make=BMW&model=7%20SERIES&year-to=2016&exclude-writeoff-categories=on&sort=price-asc&postcode=m193pw&year-from=2015&advertising-location=at_cars&radius=1500&page=2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

• Advertisement

Is there an itch you are hoping to scratch young Bazz?! :pac::pac::P:P

Na, a 7er would just be too big for me.

I am just browsing donedeal 191 cars and I sow that they have Seat leons back with that 1.5tsi engine. Looks like to comply with new testing, they droped it to 130hp from 150hp.
    I wonder if all VW group will detune their 1.5 engines now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

There's always been a 130 and 150 version of the 1.5 in different markets. The 130 is the replacement for the 1.4 125 in it.

Yes you can still get the new Leon in 150bhp as well as the 130bhp with the new 1.5tsi engine which replaced the 1.4. There was a 191 excellence 1.5tsi 150 dsg on Carzone earlier in the month.

A SEAT Alhambra drove past me this morning with a red nose on it, on the 25th of January... Seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

A SEAT Alhambra drove past me this morning with a red nose on it, on the 25th of January... Seriously.

Oh, that's nothing - some of them will still have them in April! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Add bunny ears on windows - Easter sorted! :D

jimgoose wrote: »
    Oh, that's nothing - some of them will still have them in April! :pac:

There should be penalty points for anyone caught with them on their car after 1st January :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

There's a truck in work with a nose on since Christmas 2017. It's now brown and shriveled up.

Makes a change from the other brown noses I see at work, that's for sure!

There should be penalty points for anyone caught with them on their car after 1st January :pac:

What bothers me about it is, we appear to have people in charge of motor vehicles who are distracted to the point of not realising that the stupid-looking antlers that they actually do remember to take off after Christmas were accompanied by a stupid-looking red nose and, worse, these people never, ever, ever, look at the fronts of their cars. :pac:

There's always been a 130 and 150 version of the 1.5 in different markets. The 130 is the replacement for the 1.4 125 in it.

You are right, they replaced 1.4tsi with this new one, but I dont see any 150hp versions of leon yet.
    Thing is, I sow some new vag 2.0 tdi 130hp instead of 150hp.
    So question is: due to new test they have to detune engines or they have two hp options for same engines in vag range.

Edit: They finally updated Seat configurator. 1.5tsi 130hp manual and 1.5tsi 150hp dsg. You can't get 150hp manual, which is a bit weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Has anyone ever heard of a catalytic converter being stolen from a car? It happened to a colleague of mine a few days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Has anyone ever heard of a catalytic converter being stolen from a car? It happened to a colleague of mine a few days ago.

Certainly a growing problem in the UK. I think SUVs are most at risk due to ground clearance making it easier.

I have heard tell a couple of years back that they were being cut out from under Land Rovers and the like.

Yes but more out of truck's someone was saying even some of the car one's are very valuable!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement