Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Has anyone ever heard of a catalytic converter being stolen from a car? It happened to a colleague of mine a few days ago.

What car? Some cars have cats worth €€€

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It's supposed to be a huge problem with Mk2 Prius at the moment. They are particularly valuable and particularly easy to steal. I've seen a few CCTV videos etc and the lads are in and out in 3-4 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Isn't 3-4 minutes par for the course for the right people with the right gear for anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's supposed to be a huge problem with Mk2 Prius at the moment. They are particularly valuable and particularly easy to steal. I've seen a few CCTV videos etc and the lads are in and out in 3-4 minutes.

Yep. I thing the Mk2 Prius has a non standard type of cat that contains more precious metals than normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

On the m50 today 3pm ish Audi on fire (only started by the looks of it) luckily timing an apex fire van was passing and pulled in to help. Hope they got it sorted in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Havent sold anything on adverts in a long time. Stuck the roof rack off the old transit up the other day.

Just wondering was this still for sale?

It is john

Cheers does it come with a ladder and all the fixings?

Nowhere does the add mention or have a picture of a free ladder! :pac: low ball offer coming soon i suspect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

swap for half a mars bar and a jack russell pup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

And a pair of wellies. But one is missing.

bazz26 wrote: »
    swap for half a mars bar and a jack russell pup.
    joujoujou wrote: »
    And a pair of wellies. But one is missing.

Will yis take half each?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

My replacement Alloy arrived cleaner than I expected if anything one small mark on the edge but I used that to haggle down the price. Think I done alright on it at 150 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

CIP4 wrote: »
    My replacement Alloy arrived cleaner than I expected if anything one small mark on the edge but I used that to haggle down the price. Think I done alright on it at 150 euro.

New car was best option.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

What car? Some cars have cats worth €€€

It was a Mk2 Prius!!
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yep. I thing the Mk2 Prius has a non standard type of cat that contains more precious metals than normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Just got a notification on my phone from YouTube to watch MR. Fancy pigeons latest video...:pac:

Is he doing videos?!

New car was best option.....

Yes I did a detailed cost analysis and surprisingly turned out that its more cost effective to buy a replacement alloy as opposed to buying a new car :pac:

Dear I say I might finally be growing up as the thoughts of spending big money on another new car makes me slightly ill. Coming close to the end of having this one paid for which appeals to me a lot. Although to be fair I only owed a couple of thousand on the Leon when I traded it seemed like a good idea at the time :pac:

• Advertisement

Doing a bit of a drive across Germany & Austria at the moment in a nice CLA200 (diesel)....as good as winter tyres are I still find it disconcerting to be booting along nicely on white frosted roads :pac:

It's more then frost we woke up to.... mmmmm ....have a 2 hour spin to do through alpine area...
    471309.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Interslice wrote: »
    Havent sold anything on adverts in a long time. Stuck the roof rack off the old transit up the other day.

Just wondering was this still for sale?

It is john

Cheers does it come with a ladder and all the fixings?

Nowhere does the add mention or have a picture of a free ladder! :pac: low ball offer coming soon i suspect

you could have the other parts of the Roof Rack set still in the van not pictured, how is he to know. A normal roof rack consists of Roof Rack, 2 extendable ladders and a set of golf clubs i thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Got back from my travels around New Zealand yesterday, what an amazing place. Plenty of lovely motors, lots of Holden V8's about (obviously) but quite a lot of mustangs, cameros and other American muscle cars too. It was one hell of a driving country too, amazing roads even driving a big lumbering campervan was great craic. I longed to have my 325 in the twisties!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

Is it true that there're no potholes?

And that people never speed?

And that the clouds are unusuually long?

• Advertisement

Got back from my travels around New Zealand yesterday, what an amazing place. Plenty of lovely motors, lots of Holden V8's about (obviously) but quite a lot of mustangs, cameros and other American muscle cars too. It was one hell of a driving country too, amazing roads even driving a big lumbering campervan was great craic. I longed to have my 325 in the twisties!

Would love to do a similar NZ trip sometime. Taking a spin across the pyrenees from san sebastian to montpellier for a wedding in august. Cant wait for the twisties and the scenery. Only renting an aul clio or similar and will have the missus telling me to slow down all the time but cant wait for it none the less. Looking at following this sort of route.
    https://classictravelling.com/pyrenees-to-monaco/

Have it roughly figured out and saved on the phone. Didnt realise until this moring you can save routes to the home screens of your phone. Fierce handy.

Augeo wrote: »
    CLA200 (diesel)....

Really nice car.
    Google tells me it's just shy of 180bhp and it doesn't feel any faster TBH but a nice drive. Lovely 7 speed autobox.
    A little front wheel drive merc. Lovely interior and nice touches like drilled front discs.
    I must take a pic or three later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Dartz wrote: »

And that people never speed?

Can't speak for NZ but that it the case for Australia. Fines are so hefty over here and roads are full of speed cameras so everyone does behave themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Has anyone here ever presented a car for NCT the night before the test? I've a test on Saturday morning but now I've to work the morning and no one to bring it in for me. I want it don't and dusted so would prefer not to change it

statto25 wrote: »
    Has anyone here ever presented a car for NCT the night before the test? I've a test on Saturday morning but now I've to work the morning and no one to bring it in for me. I want it don't and dusted so would prefer not to change it

I used to do that years ago but not sure if they’ve tightened up on it.

statto25 wrote: »

I used to do that years ago but not sure if they’ve tightened up on it.

Is it leaving the car overnight thats the issue?

Oh! I mean just turning up early and getting it tested.

Can you call during the week and ask the team leader?

The oul Lexus passed the test today no bother I was smiling actually as the guy alongside me was telling me I was mad trying to tax and insure that big yoke but happily his 151 Corolla failed....:D:D

Ya I will drop into them during the week when I'm passing. I'd prefer to leave it Friday evening as I will be up and about long before the NCT centre opens.

Truckermal wrote: »
    Can you call during the week and ask the team leader?

The oul Lexus passed the test today no bother I was smiling actually as the guy alongside me was telling me I was mad trying to tax and insure that big yoke but happily his 151 Corolla failed....:D:D

Surprising for a 4 year old car to fail its first NCT that would be rare enough.

Actually on NCTs does anyone know do you have to display the actual disk or are you ok once your car just has a valid NCT ? I know with tax and insurance you do have to display it. Just my car is due it’s first in the next year and prefer just having the two disks.

• Advertisement

Failure to display is an offence.

Surprising for a 4 year old car to fail its first NCT that would be rare enough.

Actually on NCTs does anyone know do you have to display the actual disk or are you ok once your car just has a valid NCT ? I know with tax and insurance you do have to display it. Just my car is due it’s first in the next year and prefer just having the two disks.

I think you have to display it too..

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/Your-Vehicle-/Road-Worthiness--Related-Offences/General-Roadworthiness/

Failure to display is an offence.

Ah ok thanks. That’s annoying.

Only one thing for it etc etc

Anyone else watching the new series of The Grand Tour? First episode around American muscle cars driving around Detroit was ok. Episode 2 and 3 are bit meh though and very Top Gear towards the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

bazz26 wrote: »
    Anyone else watching the new series of The Grand Tour? First episode around American muscle cars driving around Detroit was ok. Episode 2 and 3 are bit meh though.

Liked the first, but thought the special was completely bu the numbers. Just badly copying some bits from other specials, especially Bolivia.

Yep, there are only so many variations on the same theme you can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I thought the special was better than the rest of the other episodes of TGT.

There were some non scripted stuff and it didnt seem so wooden as earlier episodes did. At the end of the day the chaps are hilarious together and I'd watch them talk about anything.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/joe-duffy-motors-new-no-haggle-used-car-network-will-also-buy-your-car-1.3772453?mode=amp

A very appealing way to pedal your trade stock, very similar to Kearys CarStore. Nice to see a break away from more conventional dealer concepts all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/joe-duffy-motors-new-no-haggle-used-car-network-will-also-buy-your-car-1.3772453?mode=amp

A very appealing way to pedal your trade stock, very similar to Kearys CarStore. Nice to see a break away from more conventional dealer concepts all the same.

I read that today, but I don't really understand what it brings different to normal used cars salesman, apart from not being able to haggle the price?

No haggle is a big move, particularly for Ireland, everyone expects a haggle. I'd say this will work well both for the business and the consumer, like a supermarket, there's the price, that's it. Open 7 days, still not too many dealers doing that, used car warranties including service plans. It'd be a refreshing buying experience because there is no smoke and mirrors and hard sells. Everything is menu priced, the cars, the warranties and the services.

Also, it'l be one of the first, if not the first trustworthy "we buy cars for cash" outlets in Ireland. The prices will no doubt still be low ball, but at least the buyer is trustworthy, so if you "need the car gone", these guys will do you a deal without having to purchase from them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

Have you checked how much you'll get as a trade in off a new A4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    For some people the idea of the sales man and haggling is stressful and puts them off the entire buying process. The idea that you go in and no messing around appeals to certain people. Not for me but I think to have that choice is a good thing.

Maybe on paper it's a good thing, but I somehow doubt it will be priced well in the first place. You are right though, have a choice is good.

Will they still do trade ins? Because sure as feck people will haggle on that.

Yep, if youre on a no haggle price system, that means if they are pricing them correctly for what they are, they’ll be offering less on paper for trade ins than the fella building in a margin for discount but charging more.

You’d think this would be the ideal system but Fiat proved with open book pricing 20 years ago that people don’t understand the concept of cost to change.

I love the idea myself, and hopefully it’ll help the used car market here move on from where it is now.

The sooner we move to the system that Tesla have for used cars the better, click "buy" online and pick up your car the next week.
    Can't be doing with this haggling crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

ELM327 wrote: »
    The sooner we move to the system that Tesla have for used cars the better, click "buy" online and pick up your car the next week.
    Can't be doing with this haggling crap.

Yeah about that

Check out a guy called rich rebuilds on YouTube.

He did just that and it was a major tit job altogether.

Tesla’s used car programme seems to be a bit of a shambles.

Yeah about that

Check out a guy called rich rebuilds on YouTube.

He did just that and it was a major tit job altogether.
    Rich Rebuilds, is that the guy that cobbled together two teslas and was surprised when it wouldn't update? Yeah he's a bit of a moron tbh wouldnt be holding him up as a pedestal for anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Just got a notification on my phone from YouTube to watch MR. Fancy pigeons latest video...:pac:
    Is he doing videos?!

Feck! All I have on that channel are crappy dashcam vids...

Must put a bit more interesting content up someday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

ELM327 wrote: »
    Rich Rebuilds, is that the guy that cobbled together two teslas and was surprised when it wouldn't update? Yeah he's a bit of a moron tbh wouldnt be holding him up as a pedestal for anything.

He did but a Tesla online and took about 3 months and a mountain of phonecalls to get it with a lot of fluting around

I didn't bother with his previous videos tbh , that just caught my attention recently

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement