Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Spocker

I saw this on the Bypass in Waterford last week, any pointers to what it might be? The usual plethora of dealers are nearby Jaguar, BMW, Land Rover, Volvo but it doesn't look like any of those. The moveable spoiler is whats interesting on this one.

472595.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Spocker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Speaking of jags, didn't get a pic but one of these came up behind yesterday.

17tthg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

For anyone thinking of getting their wheels refurbished, I can wholeheartedly recommend Wheel Wizards.

I had my 325 into them this week, and the results are stunning. I was always a big fan of the MV2 wheels my car has, but I'm still gobsmacked at how well the wheels on the car look now and what a lift they give to the look of it. I debated changing the colour of them but seeing them the way they are now, I'm so glad I stuck with the OEM colour.

I'll put up a photo tomorrow when the rest of the car is actually washed.

Absolute pros - very happy with the work they did for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

Got passed by some waste of oxygen in an AMG on the N11. Must've been doing well north of 180kph.

Ten minutes later the same oxygen thief is sitting in the hard shoulder with an unmarked mondeo parked up behind it, getting an utter bollicking from the cops.

Doing that sort of speed within a half-hour of Newtown is sort of asking for it. There'll always be something either heading away from base - or on the way back.

Had me giggling the whole way home. Someone never heard of the M9.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Any cork lads know what happened to the autofast garage in ballincollig different name on it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Tesco have Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL VW507-00 spec oil at €10.15 a litre bottle. Good price I thought.

Not sure if it's everywhere but Tesco Tramore had a few left!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

In the NCT now. Not feeling overly optimistic! It’s done a lot in the last 2 years.

A2-A0-EB46-7416-43-F9-8-CEE-48930417-A331.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I see the black is gone off the rear centre light thingy

I see the black is gone off the rear centre light thingy

Yeah, no rear fog so bought another one for the NCT! The bulbs are weird in the Civic so it was the easiest option. Messed around with a red bulb in the drivers side reversing light and other options but ran out of patience.
    Well?

Well - it failed on track rod end dust covers. Not the worst outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

A but pedantic though, maybe. I'd be disappointed if that's all that came between me and a fresh test. At least it's cheap and handy enough.

Mechanic friend actually looked at them last week and said they’d probably pass. They didn’t look bad. Not sure whether I need new track rod ends or just covers. You can get the covers separately apparently. It was only the covers they failed, nothing about excessive movement. I fear if I just get €30 spurious ones that they’ll not last as long as the originals have left. Probably changing car but I was saying that last year too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Looking up insurance quotes before my renewal hits looking to be around €700 this year which I’d be delighted if I get it around that money the A4 seems to be particularly cheap to insure for some reason even compared to the Leon which they are similar cars I am thinking the collision avoidance feeds into it.

Was thinking about insurance in general and it’s mad that when you are younger generally in college with little / no money trying to start out driving the cost of insurance is insane and financially crippling then as you get older and earn more money are in a better position to pay for it, it goes way down in price.

As there is a placement student in working I have been bringing to work and she just bought a car and insurance is €3k for it like on a student salary there is a lot of earning on €3k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Quick q:

My windscreen is scratched, on both sides due to the wipers not being changed in time by the previous owners :rolleyes:

What would you recommend to remedy this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Quick q:

My windscreen is scratched, on both sides due to the wipers not being changed in time by the previous owners :rolleyes:

I've had good results with regular old polish and a DA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

I've had good results with regular old polish and a DA

Have tried this already with a compounding head :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Quick q:

My Car in the same boat. Nobody seems to know anything about the screen polish ......
    going to try and order some this weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Cerium oxide will remove shallow scratches but you need to have patience with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Quick q:

Windscreen cover? Loads of stones on the roads in winter ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Sooooo.... My car had wheel bearing gone, so I got this for 3 days while my car being fixed. It's Leon FR St 184hp 2.0 diesel. Lots of extras, ex demo with 10k kms on it. I gave it back today. On test drive I hated it, but after few days living with it, it really grew on me. Completely different animal to my car though, but my aging body really appreciates extra comfort and size.
    They made a good deal on it now for me and I said I'll think of it. Can't believe I am considering diesel again.

IMG-20190213-111408.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

the parking though..... :pac:

bazz26 wrote: »
    the parking though..... :pac:

Criminal isn't it.

Nice machine.

I find my parents Leon FR very noisy particularly around town its a 2.0tdi estate as well but 150bhp think I am just use to petrols now would struggle to go back. I don't drive it a lot but still a couple of times a month. To be fair the above facelift in white looks nice. I suppose for you SH the decision is whether to be sensible and buy something like that which I am sure will be cheap to run or go mad and buy a Cupra which I have driven and think they are a serious car.

CIP4 wrote: »
    I find my parents Leon FR very noisy particularly around town its a 2.0tdi estate as well but 150bhp think I am just use to petrols now would struggle to go back. I don't drive it a lot but still a couple of times a month. To be fair the above facelift in white looks nice. I suppose for you SH the decision is whether to be sensible and buy something like that which I am sure will be cheap to run or go mad and buy a Cupra which I have driven and think they are a serious car.

Sound isolation is garbage in it, but after driving Ibiza cupra for so long, it's still improvement. It's still firm ride in FR, but it's so much softer on the road. I did 13h shift on Valentine's day and I was freaking wrecked. Driving back home in Leon was best thing ever and made me appreciate for what it is.
    Diesel engine was first thing that really put me off on test drive. Around city it's very clunky and first gear is dead, which is very annoying when you try to pull out, gigidi. On usual trip to work and back on open N roads it's pretty no difference. And honestly, that 95% of my driving.
    And yes, my little cupra is still faster and feels so much more agile. It's like that little dog, that constantly jumping and wants to do zoomies, but Leon just makes me lazy and relaxed. At this point I need to make decision if it's time to hand in my boy racer ID and go sensible, or have fun, before EVs will take over.
    Would like to take Leon cupra for few days, same way I did with this FR.
    Thing is, that after handed this back, they came back with really nice deal on this car. Considering I am changing not even 2 years in to my PCP.

@SH sounds like you have it fairly well thought through. Even though they are the same basic car the Leon Cupra and FR TDI are such different cars the adaptive suspension in the Cupra alone changes it and makes it quite comfortable in normal mode. You should probably do a spreadsheet with all the costs as there would be a big difference between the two if you were to keep them for 3 years for example. Benefit of the FR is it’s 184 while a lot of them are only 150bhp.

@SH sounds like you have it fairly well thought through. Even though they are the same basic car the Leon Cupra and FR TDI are such different cars the adaptive suspension in the Cupra alone changes it and makes it quite comfortable in normal mode. You should probably do a spreadsheet with all the costs as there would be a big difference between the two if you were to keep them for 3 years for example. Benefit of the FR is it’s 184 while a lot of them are only 150bhp.

I always go prepared and researched. :)
    Even right now, Leon would only save me about 15eu a week on petrol, that is feck all. I would pay that much extra just to drive something better. :)
    For money that I would pay for that fr, I would barely pick up 151 280 cupra with high mileage. Funny thing is, Leon cupra really holds value well.
    A good point on 150 vs 184. You can't even get them brand new anymore due to new emissions tests. Tax goes higher on brand new models now too. So I wonder if it would keep it's value better.

Now it has driving modes too, but I am not sure if it's proper adjusting suspension like in my cupra, or it's just adjusting the sound and steering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

Benefit of the 184 too is has independent rear suspension it definitely handles better and feels more composed. Upgraded brakes too.

Not sure where we're going to go yet. 1.5 tsi with 150bhp doesn't quite cut it comparison. Pity they don't don't offer the 2.0 tsi with 190bhp here. Think we might just refinance the gmfv and wait and see what the Mk4 Leon offers on the other hand there will be better offers and finance rates with the existing model before it's phased out.

Ryath wrote: »
    Benefit of the 184 too is has independent rear suspension it definitely handles better and feels more composed. Upgraded brakes too.

Not sure where we're going to go yet. 1.5 tsi with 150bhp doesn't quite cut it comparison. Pity they don't don't offer the 2.0 tsi with 190bhp here. Think we might just refinance the gmfv and wait and see what the Mk4 Leon offers on the other hand there will be better offers and finance rates with the existing model before it's phased out.

Exactly, the only option we have is 1.5tsi 150hp, I find it weak even in new Ibiza, but now that is gone too. Can't see it be any good in Leon at all.
    New model is part of the problem why I am holding off. Then again, I am one of those people who will gladly take old mature model, which has all issues fixed and heavily discounted, over being beta tester for new model.
    Now I don't know how much this claim stands, but they are saying that 7 new cupra models will be launched before 2021. One of them bound to be Ibiza cupra. Do I wait for that?

• Advertisement

Currently doing car searches myself everything petrol demo / year old on carzone is a bit meh. So I have done the logical thing of moving onto new cars :pac: my current favourite is an A5 2.0 Tfsi Quattro S-Tronic 252bhp doing alot of man maths here it wont end well :eek:

Literally nothing wrong with my A4 other than the fact its not Quattro, S-Tronic and 252bhp. Then I was like I will just do an insurance check as it will be mad high and that will put me off it turns out its only a couple of hundred more.

Ever part of me is logical and like absolutely crazy idea but then there is that one part that is like do it that would be a class car now is your chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

The new A5 is gorgeous, especially in that dark green Audi are offering now

Do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

And it begins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

And it begins.

I'm selling some magic beans if CIP4 is interested......

CIP4 is to be celebrated. Sure he changes his cars more than I wash mine, but I say fair play.

And it begins.

Next month is annual bonus and pay rise month in work so was always going to be a dodgy time.

Do it, but do it properly. Don’t compromise. Buy something you’ll keep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

colm_mcm wrote: »

For a year that is......

I admire someone who has the ability to upgrade cars every so often and wish I could do it myself, great that you can do it CIP4, you're in a good position etc and fair play lad !

But fu,ck if I be buying identical cars everytime.

If I had an Audi A6 this year , it'd be a 5-7seres next year or an E-class the following etc.

Wouldn't be going Audi, Audi , Audi.

Well the only thing I don’t like about my A4 is lack of auto and it just lack slightly in power I think the 252bhp would be plenty for what I’d want Quattro would be a nice added bonus. I do like manuals but the S-tronic gearbox is so smooth and nice. The problem with Audi is you have to add about 4-5k of extras to an S-Line spec just to get it to a nice place.

Need to think it through as if I waited another two years could just completely go mad and buy a new S4 which let’s face it would have far higher running costs. Would much rather buy a year old car as I have no need for it to be brand new but they don’t exist for the models I want.

• Advertisement

Have you considered booking some extended test drives of various competing cars to build up more perspective on what you like

Have you considered booking some extended test drives of various competing cars to build up more perspective on what you like

Good idea although the lack of stock petrol models is an issue. Not really a BMW/ Merc lover but would be worth test driving a 3 / 4 series I suppose. I should probably try hold off buying till June as I am a bit up to my eyes at the minute doing a part time college course havent had a free weekend since Christmas but finished that in May anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Currently doing car searches myself everything petrol demo / year old on carzone is a bit meh. So I have done the logical thing of moving onto new cars :pac: my current favourite is an A5 2.0 Tfsi Quattro S-Tronic 252bhp doing alot of man maths here it wont end well :eek:

Literally nothing wrong with my A4 other than the fact its not Quattro, S-Tronic and 252bhp. Then I was like I will just do an insurance check as it will be mad high and that will put me off it turns out its only a couple of hundred more.

Ever part of me is logical and like absolutely crazy idea but then there is that one part that is like do it that would be a class car now is your chance.

If you are going to buy something petrol with a bit of power then buy the S3 you've had an itch for, A5 is a fine car but it won't cut it for you and you know it :D

See you might drive a 4 series diesel for example and fall in love with the steering, handling, whatever - which would get you in the mindset to seek out a petrol. You might have a go of a Tesla and get hooked on electric, you might have a go of a Golf R and fall in love.
    Nothing wrong with Audi’s of course but there are some lovely cars within your grasp, so get out there and blag some demos.

tossy wrote: »
    If you are going to buy something petrol with a bit of power then buy the S3 you've had an itch for, A5 is a fine car but it won't cut it for you and you know it :D

Rs3 drool

tossy wrote: »

Yes the thing I find a little bit off putting on the S3 is the interior isn’t great just very bland and the weird vents etc., the A4/A5 interior when specced right is far nicer. I’d say the golf R probably has a nicer interior than the S3 a bit more going on in it at least. The S3 Saloon is lovely looking from the outside alright. Insurance could possibly be an issue with S cars aswell as I am still under 25.

• Advertisement

Rs3 drool

Yes they are 83k new......

Yes they are 83k new......

Yes but but but.... They are massive

Need to think it through as if I waited another two years could just completely go mad and buy a new S4 which let’s face it would have far higher running costs.....

I can't see you being impressed with north of €10K/annum depreciation TBH...... petrol would be almost insignificant in comparison :)

Augeo wrote: »
    I can't see you being impressed with north of €10K/annum depreciation TBH...... petrol would be almost insignificant in comparison :)

Yes I suppose if I buy anything new depreciation will be strong for the couple of years. If I could convince a dealer to demo the car I want that would be ideal would take the sting out of the first years depreciation.

Although tbh I look at cars differently to most basically I look at them as whatever it costs on the day I buy it (minus the value of my trade in) as money that is gone and anything I get back when I trade it is just rolled over to the next car as chances are I will always be buying more expensive cars than my trade in.

Like for example let’s say my current A4 has 20k of equity in it as the bit of a loan that’s left on it is small but the figure doesn’t matter. I wouldn’t consider that currently as me having 20k now of money equivalent to savings or worth so therefore if it’s worth 5k less next year it doesn’t cost me 5k as to me the car is something I need, for it to be actually worth 20k to me I would have to sell it and have no car which I wouldn’t do.

Probably difficult to understand but it is kind of like a banks view if you have 10k of equity in a car you can’t put that down as an asset against a loan or mortgage they only care about money you actually have in savings etc.

Although tbh I look at cars differently to most basically I look at them as whatever it costs on the day I buy it (minus the value of my trade in) as money that is gone and anything I get back when I trade it is just rolled over to the next car as chances are I will always be buying more expensive cars than my trade in.

I think that's how most people look at cars except most have some idea/expectation of the expected depreciation and they don't write it all off in the first instance.

Most don't pony up the cash either of course....finance etc is common.

Not many throw 70k at a new S4 too nonchalantly :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement