Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Augeo wrote: »
    I think that's how most people look at cars except most have some idea/expectation of the expected depreciation and they don't write it all off in the first instance.

Most don't pony up the cash either of course....finance etc is common.

Not many throw 70k at a new S4 too nonchalantly :)

Ah no the S4 is well and truly out of budget unfortunately. Would be a class car though.

Ah going to try not be impulsive about changing this time. As at the new car level I am looking buying it to sell on after a year would be absolute madness if I knew I was going to keep it for 3-4 years I would do it but that is difficult to predict but based on past experience its not likely. Have a bit of a YOLO attitude to cars but have to draw a line somewhere at the same point. I am conscious I give the impression on here that I am a financial mess that just spends all my money on changing cars which is actually not the case at all generally good with money just not when it comes to cars :pac:

In other news going to the Nurburgring in summer hope to do a good few laps in a few different cars. Should be good fun looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Make sure you get a sticker!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Make sure you get a sticker!

Yes I actually have one somewhere never used it :pac: It will be cool to actually drive around it after seeing the track so much when playing forza on Xbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

CIP4 wrote: »
    Yes I actually have one somewhere never used it :pac: It will be cool to actually drive around it after seeing the track so much when playing forza on Xbox.

Playing it on a video game doesn't prepare you in anyway for the real thing - it'll blow your mind. The elevation changes alone are spectacular never mind fearing for your life/car :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Out in Prague at the minute, there is nothing but skodas here, absolutely mental. About 80 percent of the cars here are superbs or octavias! Not so many vws. Nice few BMW and Audi too.

Far more cars have Xenon or HID lights than at home too, very little of the newer stuff has halogen bulbs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Out in Prague at the minute, there is nothing but skodas here, absolutely mental. About 80 percent of the cars here are superbs or octavias! Not so many vws. Nice few BMW and Audi too.

Far more cars have Xenon or HID lights than at home too, very little of the newer stuff has halogen bulbs

Well they are from there in fairness :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Well they are from there in fairness

I know, but still didn't expect the numbers to be that big!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I know, but still didn't expect the numbers to be that big!

I presume prices are a lot lower then anything imported. Lucky buggers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I see Porsche and Volkswagen are starting to roll out a "delivery supplement" on new UK orders as well as orders due to arrive in the next few months. I wonder what brands will follow suit.

Anyway this brought up some fairly interesting conversation in work today about the Cypriots and their penchant for UK cars. Much like us Cyprus is a big market for UK imports. I wonder if they'll start looking at us next door for their RHD imports when things start tightening up, or if they'll just stop altogether.

• Advertisement

I see Porsche and Volkswagen are starting to roll out a "delivery supplement" on new UK orders as well as orders due to arrive in the next few months. I wonder what brands will follow suit.

Anyway this brought up some fairly interesting conversation in work today about the Cypriots and their penchant for UK cars. Much like us Cyprus is a big market for UK imports. I wonder if they'll start looking at us next door for their RHD imports when things start tightening up, or if they'll just stop altogether.

Possibly although they would only be importing the older stuff anyway. Like a 10 year old car out there is seen as a fresh car. Not sure in terms of quantity how much they import. Their national fleet is very different to ours.

I spend at least a couple of weeks out there every year and last year when I was out was driving my Aunty and Uncles 2018 Ateca they bought brand new out there. It actually felt weird driving it around as it stood out so much as you would drive into a car park and it would be just the Ateca and then 20 year old scrap parked around it.

I think it is the only car in the village with LED lights. In Ireland no one would think anything of a new Ateca.

Couple of dealers in the UK are reporting that they send pretty decent stuff out, or at least new-ish. Not sure where your family are in Cyprus and I don't know the first thing about the place to be honest, so not doubting you, but maybe the new/decent stuff goes to more metropolitan areas?

Couple of dealers in the UK are reporting that they send pretty decent stuff out, or at least new-ish. Not sure where your family are in Cyprus and I don't know the first thing about the place to be honest, so not doubting you, but maybe the new/decent stuff goes to more metropolitan areas?

Ah I have been to most areas of it as it’s not that big. Ah no you would never care out there 4/5 years old just porportionally I suppose there is still a lot of older cars out there. To be fair in the bigger cities you would see more newer cars.

It can be eye opening as poorer locals really get the full life out of their cars whereas her a lot are scrapped just because no one wants them as opposed to them being completely knackered.

Although at the same time you get scrap that’s not road worthy being driven which is not so nice to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

CIP4 wrote: »
    I think it is the only car in the village with LED lights.

Im+the+only+gay+in+the+village+_b35000de0aa06a9a8f94e8ac08e59eae.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Meant to mention it here before but forgot about it till tonight.

https://www.cornmarket.ie/car-insurance-quotes/your-car A handy and free way to see the purchase date of a car by its current owner.

That’s a great link to have! Thanks for sharing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Meant to mention it here before but forgot about it till tonight.

https://www.cornmarket.ie/car-insurance-quotes/your-car A handy and free way to see the purchase date of a car by its current owner.
    That is hilarious and really interesting.
    Even has years of historical data.

My first car is on there!

Car Make ROVER Model 400 SERIES What's the engine size? 1396 What fuel type does your car use? PETROL What date was your car purchased? 04/01/2006 When was the car first registered? 1994

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Got brought on a spin in this last week and got to feel all of it 350bhp 6.0l V8 :D

20190118-200248.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Got brought on a spin in this last week and got to feel all of it 350bhp 6.0l V8 :D

20190118-200248.jpg

vauxvectraestate%202005-09_750_500_70.jpg

Check out the windows :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Doubt they inherited the massive torque steer :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Vectra was one of the worst handling cars I ever had and it died a horrible death into a tree.

8 air bags and not one went off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

ELM327 wrote: »
    That is hilarious and really interesting.
    Even has years of historical data.

My first car is on there!

Car Make ROVER Model 400 SERIES What's the engine size? 1396 What fuel type does your car use? PETROL What date was your car purchased? 04/01/2006 When was the car first registered? 1994

Has mine too! Only seems like yesterday :p

Car Make FIAT
    Model TEMPRA
    What's the engine size? 1581
    What fuel type does your car use? PETROL
    What date was your car purchased? 21/12/2005
    When was the car first registered? 1992

Wonder how far back it stretches... I can only go back to 1978 :p

Car Make LEYLAND
    Model UNKNOWN
    What's the engine size? 0
    What fuel type does your car use? DIESEL
    What date was your car purchased? 27/02/1978
    When was the car first registered? 1971

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

Handy link that cornmarket one.
    Wife’s 07 Corsa that was nearly at 300k km when we sold 3 years ago seems to still going new purchase on it in January.

This one surprises me. Wife bought it in 05 I drove it till 2011 when I nearly gave it away to garage as a trade in. Didn’t think it was worth spending money on but somebody must have, coolant system needed to be over hauled and it was drinking Oil. Was about 120k miles on it.

Car Make SKODA
    Model FABIA
    What's the engine size? 1397
    What fuel type does your car use? PETROL
    What date was your car purchased? 30/01/2018
    When was the car first registered? 2000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

A quick one lads. The mother in law is looking to buy a car, a Toyota C-HR is top of the list, she's driven a few and loves them. Looking at hybrids, but there's a small bit of a dilemma. She's seen a 171 car with 18,000km, it's a Sol which means it is the top of the range model with GPS, leather and other nice features. This is coming in at a sticker price of 28,500, and with an old Golf trade-in comes to 26900 (there was a lot of bargaining with little movement on this price). This is a from a Toyota dealer.

A brand new C-HR Sport model is 31,600 - scrappage comes to 29,500. No GPS, no leather but very similar in every other aspect. So we have a brand new 191 vs a better spec but still low mileage 171 for a 2600 difference.

To me all that information screams go for the new car, but the only trouble is that the original budget was 25k including whatever the trade-in would get. But this was pushed a bit for the 171 Sol at 26,900 and now is being pushed further to a new car. So we've landed at 30k. Which is quite the jump really.

What do you all reckon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

A quick one lads. The mother in law is looking to buy a car, a Toyota C-HR is top of the list, she's driven a few and loves them. Looking at hybrids, but there's a small bit of a dilemma. She's seen a 171 car with 18,000km, it's a Sol which means it is the top of the range model with GPS, leather and other nice features. This is coming in at a sticker price of 28,500, and with an old Golf trade-in comes to 26900 (there was a lot of bargaining with little movement on this price). This is a from a Toyota dealer.

A brand new C-HR Sport model is 31,600 - scrappage comes to 29,500. No GPS, no leather but very similar in every other aspect. So we have a brand new 191 vs a better spec but still low mileage 171 for a 2600 difference.

To me all that information screams go for the new car, but the only trouble is that the original budget was 25k including whatever the trade-in would get. But this was pushed a bit for the 171 Sol at 26,900 and now is being pushed further to a new car. So we've landed at 30k. Which is quite the jump really.

What do you all reckon?

I'd spec up the new car on the configurator & find out what the list price of it is. Then work out if it's expensive for what it is. You're comparing apples & oranges a bit as it stands. To me the only dilemma is what's worth more to your MIL, 191 reg or bells & whistles, i'd personally prefer the latter.

• Advertisement

I'd spec up the new car on the configurator & find out what the list price of it is. Then work out if it's expensive for what it is. You're comparing apples & oranges a bit as it stands. To me the only dilemma is what's worth more to your MIL, 191 reg or bells & whistles, i'd personally prefer the latter.

Cheers, very good point.

The new Sol, high spec car is 34,595 excluding delivery charges etc. I'll have a chat with her later, I actually think she's drawn towards the high spec 171 car to be honest. She's out to see have a drive in the 171 Sol this afternoon so I'll see what she thinks! They definitely seem to be holding their value very well.

If GPS and leather are the only spec differences of note I'd be tempted to stump up the extra €3600 for the new car tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If GPS and leather are the only spec differences of note I'd be tempted to stump up the extra €3600 for the new car tbh.
    +1
    Then in 3 years you're selling a 1 owner 3yo instead of a 2owner 5yo car, for similar money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Another quick Q!

Since I've changed the toll tag to the 607 it just won't pick it up since day 1... I've got a replacement tag in the post and it still doesn't work!

Before I'm told it's because it's French (:p) has anyone ever had this trouble before? The cameras pick it up on the M50 but at any other toll bridge I have to go to the booth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

What do you all reckon?

Some things to note

The trade in booster apparently only lasts until end of February from the spiel I just read now. (My sister in law is in a similar position to your mother in law).

The hybrid system warranty has a stupidly short mileage limit both original 5 year warranty on hybrid parts and the yearly extension you get for doing annual hybrid health checks at the dealer up to 10 years old.

I'd stretch to the new one if possible - I'd always feel I paid stupid money for the 171 and id feel less happiness in the car as a result once the novelty wore off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Another quick Q!

Since I've changed the toll tag to the 607 it just won't pick it up since day 1... I've got a replacement tag in the post and it still doesn't work!

Before I'm told it's because it's French (:p) has anyone ever had this trouble before? The cameras pick it up on the M50 but at any other toll bridge I have to go to the booth

Had to put them at the centre base of the windsceen on the work van. Was having the same issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Another quick Q!

Does it have a UV protection windscreen?

Thanks for all the input lads, very much appreciated. I think she'll be off to buy the brand new 191 sport model tomorrow.

The 171 is horrendous value. Sol model Toyotas are a novelty second hand but they’re not really worth much more outside of the Toyota dealer bubbble. A new one with warranty is a much better bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The 171 is horrendous value. Sol model Toyotas are a novelty second hand but they’re not really worth much more outside of the Toyota dealer bubbble. A new one with warranty is a much better bet.

The CHR is refusing to loose much value on the used market. It affects more than just the SOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

My sister in law wants the CHR too.

Thing about them is that they sell heavily on the look - and if you love the look - then nothing else will do.

Driving wise they are okay but don't feel a big leap forward in my opinion. That's for the 1.2 - not driven the hybrid.

The rear of the car is quite dark too for rear passengers - a CHR with NO privacy glass actually feels darker in the rear seat then a current model Nissan Leaf with rear privacy glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cheers, very good point.

The new Sol, high spec car is 34,595 excluding delivery charges etc. I'll have a chat with her later, I actually think she's drawn towards the high spec 171 car to be honest. She's out to see have a drive in the 171 Sol this afternoon so I'll see what she thinks! They definitely seem to be holding their value very well.

Check and see if the brand new one has apple carplay/android auto as standard. That way she can use apple/google maps from her mobile instead of the need for built in GPS which is pretty poor in Toyotas anyway imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

** stupid question alert ** :p

I want to purchase standard font pressed metal plates from eireplates. The current plastic plates on the car are fixed with screws. For the new metal plates, are they stuck on using adhesive pads? There are 6 mm pads on the eireplates website... I'm guessing I need them?

Folk generally use double sided tape or the adhesive pads you mention ........or they drill holes in the plate on the white bits which are likely to require drilling more holes in the car/bumper to match up with them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Folk generally use double sided tape or the adhesive pads you mention ........or they drill holes in the plate on the white bits which are likely to require drilling more holes in the car/bumper to match up with them :)

Use old plate to drill holes already there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

[HTML][/HTML]

Or you could be a dope like me and put loctite on the pads and it ran down the Bootlid on a new Audi..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Do not drill the new plates anyway, nothing ruins a set of platers like to big dirty screws. Use double sided tape for a nice clean look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Another quick Q!

Do you have a front heated windscreen?

If you have the tag behind that section of the glass it can cause some interference. (the part with the heating element).

I had a similar experience driving a sprinter, and had to wave the tag around the front of the windscreen before it beeped.

tossy wrote: »
    Do not drill the new plates anyway, nothing ruins a set of platers like to big dirty screws. Use double sided tape for a nice clean look.

Yes I never realised how bad screws are until I got my current car which has stuck on plates they are so much neater and cleaner looking. Screws just look terrible no matter where you put them on the plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

CIP4 wrote:
    Yes I never realised how bad screws are until I got my current car which has stuck on plates they are so much neater and cleaner looking. Screws just look terrible no matter where you put them on the plate.

You can get those white plastic covers that clip on over the screw head. Anything stuck with double sided tape will not stay in position for very long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I always thought that double sided sticky wouldn't work on plates but I've used it on a few cars now and its held firm for years.

chicorytip wrote: »
    You can get those white plastic covers that clip on over the screw head. Anything stuck with double sided tape will not stay in position for very long.

Mine are on since 2012 with double sided tape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Any particular brand of tape?

chicorytip wrote: »

Well when I was saying screws I meant the ones with the plastic covers. Someone using screws with no covers would be just completely rough out altogether. Mine are fairly secure double sided tape has come on a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Screws/Tape anything is better than number plate surrounds or holders:o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement