Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

Use old plate to drill holes already there.

Holes can go through a letter or digit then....looks brutal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Interslice wrote: »
    Any particular brand of tape?

I just got mine in top part, it’s foam tape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Cheers for the replies!
    Had to put them at the centre base of the windsceen on the work van. Was having the same issue.

I've mocked this up going through the M3/M50 and it doesn't work either :(
    ba_barabus wrote: »
    Does it have a UV protection windscreen?

I'm not sure, it does have a strange purple hue under certain reflections of light which could be a protective coating of sorts. Nowhere near as prominent as an early 00s Renault
    Hal1 wrote: »
    Do you have a front heated windscreen?

If you have the tag behind that section of the glass it can cause some interference. (the part with the heating element).

I had a similar experience driving a sprinter, and had to wave the tag around the front of the windscreen before it beeped.

I don't, but the next test is to try it outside the car to see if it beeps... It's a new tag I got and all, probably nothing wrong with the one I had! :o

** stupid question alert ** :p

I want to purchase standard font pressed metal plates from eireplates. The current plastic plates on the car are fixed with screws. For the new metal plates, are they stuck on using adhesive pads? There are 6 mm pads on the eireplates website... I'm guessing I need them?

I've used double sided tape on my Avensis front and back, clean the surface behind the old plate very well and have it as dry as you can. Used tape from lidl, never fell off. Local motor factors, €30 a set

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

How do you fare if you need to replace a plate if it gets damaged etc?
    Surely the sticky tape will take paint with it if you need to pop a new plate on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Any particular brand of tape?
    OEM tape I assume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Augeo wrote: »
    Holes can go through a letter or digit then....looks brutal

But look at all the 2000 with a screw in the last 0 then they have a 2008 and other examples of such

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

If you warm the side of the double sided tape that's going to be stuck to the car (after its been stuck to the plate) ever so slightly with a lighter it helps to sweat out a bit more adhesive making it a bit stickier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Cheers for the replies!

I've mocked this up going through the M3/M50 and it doesn't work either :(

I'm not sure, it does have a strange purple hue under certain reflections of light which could be a protective coating of sorts. Nowhere near as prominent as an early 00s Renault

I don't, but the next test is to try it outside the car to see if it beeps... It's a new tag I got and all, probably nothing wrong with the one I had! :o

I've used double sided tape on my Avensis front and back, clean the surface behind the old plate very well and have it as dry as you can. Used tape from lidl, never fell off. Local motor factors, €30 a set

Does the windscreen have an area with black dots around the mirror - I think you're supposed to put tags etc. in there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

But look at all the 2000 with a screw in the last 0 then they have a 2008 and other examples of such

I've got white, black and yellow plastic caps to go over the screws, your only problem is when the screw inevitably ends up half and half and you have to choose!

I've got white, black and yellow plastic caps to go over the screws, your only problem is when the screw inevitably ends up half and half and you have to choose!

Tipex.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I find 3m to be the best quality double sided tape. A lot has got to do with the reg plate itself and whatever material it is. I had to put the legal ones on for the NCT a few weeks back and would they hell stick, was about to send screws through the plate. Went back to put the "illegal" ones back on after and they stuck on tight no bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

chicorytip wrote: »
    You can get those white plastic covers that clip on over the screw head. Anything stuck with double sided tape will not stay in position for very long.

In my experience they only fall off if you use the double sided tape from Mr. Price. Never a problem with 3M or Gorilla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Start changing brakes tonight. Find spacer welded to hub. Stop changing brakes :pac:

Will try again tomorrow evening, well overdue a service now :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Start changing brakes tonight. Find spacer welded to hub. Stop changing brakes :pac:

Will try again tomorrow evening, well overdue a service now :o

Have you tried a little gas torch before FN? I find them brilliant for sorting this sort of problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Went to get the car washed today at 4:30pm and they said they were booked out for the rest of the day. Annoying as could of really done with getting it cleaned it’s fairly dirty plus that’s the only place I know of that don’t use brushes.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

With brexit looming closer and closer, does anyone know what will be the changes with importing a car from the UK? Has there been anything said about it that I’ve missed out on? Or is it a case of just wait and see?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

What image hosting websites are people using these days? I use postimg.org as it's fairly easy but I think whatever way it works that the images don't work on certain browsers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

What image hosting websites are people using these days? I use postimg.org as it's fairly easy but I think whatever way it works that the images don't work on certain browsers.

tinypic.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

blade1 wrote: »
    tinypic.com

Were you about Macroom area today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Truckermal wrote: »
    Were you about Macroom area today?

No,did you see a white f-sport?
    I was out on the bike as it was a cracking day for it but I headed the opposite direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

blade1 wrote: »
    No,did you see a white f-sport?
    I was out on the bike as it was a cracking day for it but I headed the opposite direction.

Yep seen 2 actually one near Coppeen and another caught up to me near Macroom! I thought one might be you, it was a cracking day surely I'm heading to Beara tomorrow for a spin..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Meanwhile another normal day driving in Rome:

https://twitter.com/liam11/status/1099451494062014469

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Anyone know if there is such a thing as an LED light cluster repair? I have condensation in the offside rear light cluster and the brake light has stopped working. I will try to dry it out and see if that works but I am not hopeful.

I was quoted €300 from a Peugeot dealer (2012 Pug 508). Anyway, that won't be happening.
    I can't see any other quick fix either as they are a sealed unit afaik.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

CIP4 wrote: »
    Went to get the car washed today at 4:30pm and they said they were booked out for the rest of the day. Annoying as could of really done with getting it cleaned it’s fairly dirty plus that’s the only place I know of that don’t use brushes.

Wash it yourself ? Washing my car has always been one of life’s little pleasures .....as it generally means you’re guaranteed some peace and quiet time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

cadaliac wrote: »
    Anyone know if there is such a thing as an LED light cluster repair? I have condensation in the offside rear light cluster and the brake light has stopped working. I will try to dry it out and see if that works but I am not hopeful.

I was quoted €300 from a Peugeot dealer (2012 Pug 508). Anyway, that won't be happening.
    I can't see any other quick fix either as they are a sealed unit afaik.
    Thanks.

I had the same issue a few months ago, don't think a repair is that easy, as you say it's meant to be a sealed unit and the repair will likely make it worse.
    Try a scrap yard is probably best bet for cheapest option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

bazz26 wrote: »
    Meanwhile another normal day driving in Rome:

https://twitter.com/liam11/status/1099451494062014469

Someone isn't being paid enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

tossy wrote: »
    Wash it yourself ? Washing my car has always been one of life’s little pleasures .....as it generally means you’re guaranteed some peace and quiet time.

Yes I would generally do it myself over the summer. But it’s a bit less appealing doing it over winter plus I am a bit short on free time at the minute as between work and I am in college part time also in Galway which is doing a good job eating up my weekends and evenings. I have that new alloy for about a month at this stage and still haven’t got it changed driving around on the wrecked one. Ah once college is done in May I will have more time hopefully :)

Managed to find a manual wash in a petrol station this morning so used that so will do for the time being.

Updated my nav today. Fair bit of dicking about to do it. Downloaded the 30 something gigs from non official source. Then had to get this onto an external harddrive that was formatted to fat. Then spent a while trying to generate my own fsc code which is needed by the idrive to allow the update to happen. Gave up on this after trying a few that didn't work so bought a lifetime one on eBay for 15 dollars. The seller messaged me within about 20mins with the code and it worked perfectly. So I now have 2019 maps instead of 2013. Complete waste of time as I never use the nav but was interested in the process. They look the exact same. There is a bypass down in Cavan somewhere that usually shows me driving through fields so I'm guessing it'll fix that. Yay.

Someone isn't being paid enough!

Doing the work of 25 gardaí.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I know it's been asked before but when a garda is in their car with the speed gun out the window, do they have to pull you over to nab you?

Was going to work this morning, I was leading a convoy of about 4 cars, fairly tipping on, seen the squad car perpendicular to the road. Didn't know if the road was 100, 80 or 60 as it's on the outskirts of a town. I erred on the side of caution and brought it down to about 57, 58. (turned out it was a 60 Road after all). Seen him in plenty of time so I'd say I'm ok. Cars behind seem to brake hard too. If nothing else I took the bullet for them all :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Updated my nav today. Fair bit of dicking about to do it. Downloaded the 30 something gigs from non official source. Then had to get this onto an external harddrive that was formatted to fat. Then spent a while trying to generate my own fsc code which is needed by the idrive to allow the update to happen. Gave up on this after trying a few that didn't work so bought a lifetime one on eBay for 15 dollars. The seller messaged me within about 20mins with the code and it worked perfectly. So I now have 2019 maps instead of 2013. Complete waste of time as I never use the nav but was interested in the process. They look the exact same. There is a bypass down in Cavan somewhere that usually shows me driving through fields so I'm guessing it'll fix that. Yay.
    I've a 2011 Passat CC and the navs out of date - seems VW are offering the files to download for SD card install on 2015 models and up, whereas Audi are still charging around 250 for files via disk which is madness considering Android Auto is available.

Anybody here have any feedback on Android auto being used, if I upgrade the car I'd be looking for integration with android rather than the old Nav/Bluetooth setup in most cars.

I know it's been asked before but when a garda is in their car with the speed gun out the window, do they have to pull you over to nab you?

Yes :)
    99% of the time.
    In cases where folk don't stop and they aren't caught other avenues are of course followed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

D'Agger wrote: »
    I've a 2011 Passat CC and the navs out of date - seems VW are offering the files to download for SD card install on 2015 models and up, whereas Audi are still charging around 250 for files via disk which is madness considering Android Auto is available.

Anybody here have any feedback on Android auto being used, if I upgrade the car I'd be looking for integration with android rather than the old Nav/Bluetooth setup in most cars.

Much prefer android auto. Always updated and usually the routing is better. Wife's car has it and it's very good, handy when your looking around for places to go or eat as you can see the google reviews too. Andoid auto is very handy for spotify and audible too.

I've a 16 Opel with built in Sat nav it works well if a little clunky to use but even in 2016 the maps were at least 2 years out of date. Sandyford Industrial estate roundabout is on it and that's gone a good few years.

I've still used it a lot in Europe and UK and it works better there as it's much quicker putting in postcodes than street addresses. Opel do have a phone app so it's usually quicker to search on that and send the destination to the car. Could use my Onstar but I don't like talking to people!

Twice in France I've had new roads not on it and once where a street had been made one way.
    Looked at updating last year it but it's about €200 for the disc.

Quick question.

If I declare my car off the road from tomorrow for 3 months can I just declare another 3 when thats done or will I have to tax it?

You can declare it again. You must do this before your first 3 expire though or you'll be liable then to tax it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Also declare it now as it will be too late tomorrow. Just a heads up but you probably already knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2019/0219/1031481-dublin-motor-show-preview/

Before my time, but a good watch. My dad worked in the Ford Cork Factory its closure and Dunlop was devastating to Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I saw a Nissan Qashqai today and the owner had some GTR decals on it :pac: :pac: :pac:

st%2Csmall%2C215x235-pad%2C210x230%2Cf8f8f8.lite-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

A certain level of respect is due if a quashqai owner even knew what a GTR even is.

I saw a Nissan Qashqai today and the owner had some GTR decals on it :pac: :pac: :pac:

st%2Csmall%2C215x235-pad%2C210x230%2Cf8f8f8.lite-1.jpg

That's nothing I've seen ones with tat all over them and nismo stickers everywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Sometimes I love RTÉ; the website has some cool
    Old stuff. Here is a report from the motor show in 1983. Top selling cars data etc. Most interesting thing for me is that there were 15 cars per 1,000 people in Ireland. I was 11 then, I remember seeing the Sierra before it launched. My grandfather had his first car in 1943. As a family of 5 we had 2 cars on 1983, both Fiat Ritmos as it happens.

Nowadays there are 436 cars per 1,000 head of population, an almost 30 fold increase.

Also declare it now as it will be too late tomorrow. Just a heads up but you probably already knew that.

Got it done! Been meaning to do it all week :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Marcusm wrote: »
    Sometimes I love RTÉ; the website has some cool
    Old stuff. Here is a report from the motor show in 1983. Top selling cars data etc. Most interesting thing for me is that there were 15 cars per 1,000 people in Ireland. I was 11 then, I remember seeing the Sierra before it launched. My grandfather had his first car in 1943. As a family of 5 we had 2 cars on 1983, both Fiat Ritmos as it happens.

Nowadays there are 436 cars per 1,000 head of population, an almost 30 fold increase.

Here's another one from the RTE archives from 1990. Came across it today. Worth a watch.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/category/environment/2015/0501/698132-the-age-of-the-automobile/

29 years on and nothing has changed. It would make you think! Especially with the recent claims about diesel vehicles in the news.

Fun fact - I did an NCT check on the Mazda MX-5 in the video... NCT'd till March 2019!

Another car.. '89 Opel Vectra 1.4... NCT just out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Saw a 191 Qashqai today with black vinyl bonnet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Pops_20 wrote: »
    Here's another one from the RTE archives from 1990. Came across it today. Worth a watch.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/category/environment/2015/0501/698132-the-age-of-the-automobile/
    I'd forgotten about "acid rain". That was a big thing back then.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Saw a 191 Qashqai today with black vinyl bonnet.

Ew.

Qashqai.

Well passed my NCT retest this evening. Another year of driving my 21 year old car. Not all good news though as there is a squeal coming from some where only noticed it once I left the center. I don't know if it's a bearing or belt, will have a look tomorrow when it's bright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Well passed my NCT retest this evening. Another year of driving my 21 year old car. Not all good news though as there is a squeal coming from some where only noticed it once I left the center. I don't know if it's a bearing or belt, will have a look tomorrow when it's bright.

What kind of car have you? I was investigating a rejig between my 13 year old car and my 20 year old car for insurance this week and I was told to shag off.

What kind of car have you? I was investigating a rejig between my 13 year old car and my 20 year old car for insurance this week and I was told to shag off.

1998 Toyota Levin BZ-R 20 Valve.

474385.jpg

474386.jpg

I'm in a BMW 118i for a few days. 1.5 3cyl turbo thing. A very pleasant drive to be fair. You've got to love how there's similarities to the e30 inside 3 decades + later. Splendid brand identify IMO.

It's a competent hatch, I think it's returning close to mid 40s mpg.

It's not much heavier on juice then the CLA220d I had a month or so ago.

Iirc the next gen 1 series will be front wheel drive. The transmission tunnel etc is a tad intrusive in a car this size alright.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement