Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

CIP4 wrote: »
    Yes but like you shouldn’t have to spray a car that’s a month old with 4K km on it because of stone chips. That aside they said stone chips aren’t their problem.

Oh I 100% agree that it should not be an issue but it appears to be and if the dealer did not look after it I would be seriously disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

BOSTIK wrote: »
    Thought passing this milestone justified a post.

Not bad for a petrol yoke.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=475127&stc=1&d=1552244978

Looks like a Toyota gauge cluster, Avensis Mk1 or Carina? Not a bother to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭BOSTIK

Close, E11 Corolla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

BOSTIK wrote: »
    Thought passing this milestone justified a post.

Not bad for a petrol yoke.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=475127&stc=1&d=1552244978

E11 Corolla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Ryath wrote: »
    Looks small on the 17"s alright. They have a pack for ~€1300 that give's you 18" alloys, LED headlights and tinted windows. I only saw one listed on carzone with it though.

Test drove the 1.0 St line it wasn't bad up to near 100 but needs to be worked. Liked the interior and it handles well. Would at least need to be able to get the 1.5 to consider it though. Being offered way less on trade in and the 5.9% pcp rate would added a bit over €4k to the cost to change was making it a definite non runner.

Megane 1.3 130bhp I test drove was much better especially above 100 and it didn't have be worked anyway as hard.

Neither are a patch on though VAG 1.5tsi even in 130bhp version in the Leon I drove it was much livelier. Can only get the 150bhp in the Leon with the automatic but couldn't find any of them to test drive. Only got to test a manual 150bhp in a Golf and it was good improvement. Only 1.5 DSG I could find to test was a T ROC. Hate the high seating position and wallowy handling but the engine left a very good impression on me.

Actually, I would like to test drive 1.5tsi dsg Leon myself, but looks like, that no one has one. Not a single one on donedeal.
    Not many Leons with dsg in country all together, unless it's a Cupra.
    Another thing, I tried to spec 1.5tsi dsg in configurator with a good few extras added and it got all the way up to 35k! They do that 4k scrappage and zero apr, but it is **** all help when you want to upgrade from PCP car again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So in the past week I've sold my 2017 Ioniq EV... and gone back to a diesel.
    An e60 535d msport in fact. I had an e61 before but, after a year in an EV this is so much sweeter.

Started her up this morning and she clattered into life with a beautiful dawn chorus, her sweet curves and aural cacophony belying her mere €2.5k purchase price from a dealer with 3 month warranty, FBMWSH and fresh NCT.

I've never been happier to not be in an EV, I bought it on friday afternoon and have not stopped smiling since!! Even when filling her up with €90 of derv on the way home from the dealer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Did you lose much on the Ioniq? Are the stories of close to zero depreciation true?

Didn't lose anything, could probably have made a profit if I didn't sell to a dealer but with finance owing it was the quickest no-cost way out.

To be honest I'd have paid money to get out of it if it came to it. Firmly back in the diesel camp!

Nice, at least you got to try one for free.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Didn't lose anything, could probably have made a profit if I didn't sell to a dealer but with finance owing it was the quickest no-cost way out.

To be honest I'd have paid money to get out of it if it came to it. Firmly back in the diesel camp!

Happy for you! Just be careful, I can already feel some people sharpening their pitchforks! :D
    What exactly was the last straw? What was so bad about it, that you had to go to good old BMW?

• Advertisement

I think I just couldn't come around to the ugliness of the Ioniq. I know there's thinking behind it, but I think consumers for the most part want their cars to look nice-ish.

No Tesla then?

Not for some time, no.
    P1ssed off with EVs and the crap infrastructure.

I want to enjoy my 535d, do some preventative maintenance (remove swirl flaps, blank EGR, remove DPF correctly etc), possibly remap it a bit, but otherwise keep it standard.

I will reconsider in a few months - possibly after we move house - on the Tesla front but other than that I'm done with EVs! The tech doesn't equal what we have with fossil fuels right now and I'm not prepared to wait in a queue with my family on a road trip.

Be careful, the EVangelists will be out for your blood!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Nice, at least you got to try one for free.
    Had a leaf for free before it too. This no depreciation lark is great! I feel it won't last though, it's unsustainable and there's a lot of EVs set for launch in 2020

Happy for you! Just be careful, I can already feel some people sharpening their pitchforks! :D
    What exactly was the last straw? What was so bad about it, that you had to go to good old BMW?

I really enjoyed my old e61 535d -touring - and I hated the charging crap. Having to drive slower, potential to queue for 1 hour at a charger, etc etc.
    I think I just couldn't come around to the ugliness of the Ioniq. I know there's thinking behind it, but I think consumers for the most part want their cars to look nice-ish.
    True. I actually didnt hate how it looked, just the charging and battery range management that came into it. I'm not prepared to pay over €500 a month in a loan payment to have to drive slower, or pray that the one fast charger on route is working and not in use. I'm probably going to spend about €350 a month on fuel in my 535d (will be less as I've just gotten a fuelcard at work) and I know which of the two I'd prefer to drive!
    OSI wrote: »
    A diesel? MURDERER!
    :DIn fairness I was never an environmentalist hippy, just a fan of the new tech, but... it's not good enough yet. And it wasn't saving me money.

Be careful, the EVangelists will be out for your blood!
    They're either in denial (like i was) or saving enough money to make up for it! (Which i wasnt!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

Actually, I would like to test drive 1.5tsi dsg Leon myself, but looks like, that no one has one. Not a single one on donedeal.
    Not many Leons with dsg in country all together, unless it's a Cupra.
    Another thing, I tried to spec 1.5tsi dsg in configurator with a good few extras added and it got all the way up to 35k! They do that 4k scrappage and zero apr, but it is **** all help when you want to upgrade from PCP car again.

McCoys in Lucan had one last week but it hadn't been PDI'd, said they'd have in later in the week to demo but I didn't get back up yet. There is a handful in stock with SEAT or allocated to dealers but you won't get a factory order at this stage though. To close to MK4 Leon. Fully specced FR is getting awfully close to the price of the Cupra too!

From being around a lot of dealers last few week a lot of dealers don't have their demos listed online on carzone or the like. Very hard if your looking for a particular engine or trimline to see.

Annoying alright when your on pcp and seeing the extra discount's you can get on scrappage. VW did have a €1000 contribution if going pcp and SEAT did have extra contributions on the trade in so wan't too bad of a deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

or saving enough money to make up for it! (Which i wasnt!)

Thats what its all down to

I understand the lure of machines like Teslas with the performance and charge speed they have, cost being no issue to those privileged

Alot easier ways to save money than buying a Leaf, driving 120km and charging for an hour

Tech from Tesla/Porsche etc will trickle down over next few years to plebs, we can all enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Going from an ev to 3L diesel and wanting to get the dpf gutted straight away:) haha

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Going from an ev to 3L diesel and wanting to get the dpf gutted straight away:) haha
    I did say I was not an EVangelist!

• Advertisement

Has that term ever been used before or did I really come up with it?
    a person who seeks to convert others to the Electric Vehicle faith, especially by public preaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Just insured my R34...€128 for the year :eek:

Just insured my R34...€128 for the year :eek:

Wut?

That’s serious going.

Wut?

That’s serious going.

Classic policy...but even still :D

It’s gas. When they’re up to a certain age you can’t get insured on them because they’re such a risk. Then they’re grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Wut?

That’s serious going.

Is that an off the road policy?

It’s gas. When they’re up to a certain age you can’t get insured on them because they’re such a risk. Then they’re grand.

Makes me sad, that I had to sell my r33 4 door years ago. It's was 94, so could have done whole classic insurance and have it as day off car. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

53838561_2049208985196180_2983436282694205440_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=941c18ae7d253a1984d59328f093ced5&oe=5D1D0159

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I know it's a joke and all but one has heavy trucks and cars driving it every day while the other had horses and carts when it was in use. Just a place to visit for many many years with just pedestrians.

• Advertisement

Is that an off the road policy?
    No, limited mileage and no mods declared...yet! (They haven't made their way to the car yet to be fair!)
    Makes me sad, that I had to sell my r33 4 door years ago. It's was 94, so could have done whole classic insurance and have it as day off car. :(

Yours was the red one wasn't it? I nearly bought that twice :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Teggy is finally old enough for a classic policy, just need to actually fix it and make it drive-able again.
    Tax will still be a pain though, and I suppose I'll have to NCT it as well. First time since 07..

No, limited mileage and no mods declared...yet! (They haven't made their way to the car yet to be fair!)

Yours was the red one wasn't it? I nearly bought that twice :p
    Limited miles is on every classic policy but rarely enforced in my experience. And for rarely read never.
    Tazzimus wrote: »
    Teggy is finally old enough for a classic policy, just need to actually fix it and make it drive-able again.
    Tax will still be a pain though, and I suppose I'll have to NCT it as well. First time since 07..

I've similar (in terms of old off road for a while but not on classic tax), a 94 corona sitting in storage. Although I've got another parking spot assigned so I intend on bringing her home and fixing her up soon too. Just need to find a way to bring her from swords to Navan.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Funny enough T and for no particular obvious reason mine as my sole daily has become insurable again. :eek: 800 quid fully comp. I nearly fell over when I got that quote. Over half of what it was last year(and that was TPFT) and a third what some were asking. Through Chill too.
    So long as the basics like bulbs and tyres are covered, it's rust free(their major killer) and the engine hasn't been ragged to fcuk, about the only things that will usually fail one are worn bushings and a dead catalytic converter.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

How's yours looking these days Wibbs? Haven't spotted you in a while!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Anyone know of a decent indy mechanic in South Dublin? Usually go down to Daltons but I don't have the time at the minute. I've a cv boot that needs to be changed on a Mk5 GTI (if that matters). Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Wibbs wrote: »
    Funny enough T and for no particular obvious reason mine as my sole daily has become insurable again. :eek: 800 quid fully comp. I nearly fell over when I got that quote. Over half of what it was last year(and that was TPFT) and a third what some were asking. Through Chill too.

So long as the basics like bulbs and tyres are covered, it's rust free(their major killer) and the engine hasn't been ragged to fcuk, about the only things that will usually fail one are worn bushings and a dead catalytic converter.

Friend of mine has a VZR and GSXR on the same classic policy for €342, bastard..

It's been in a shed for 5 ish years so need to check the bulbs, tyres most likely ****ed, need a friend to check if the shell can be saved or if I need to re-shell it (hopefully not), polybushed which should still be fine.

I need to find the standard exhaust, which has the cat, no room on the J's exhaust for it :D

I'll get the engine and shell sorted first, then worry about the rest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

How's yours looking these days Wibbs? Haven't spotted you in a while!
    Still alive M. :D No faults yet *touches wood*. Luckily I had the dumb luck/foresight to fill it with waxoyl and then Bilt Hamber goo a week after it came off the boat from Japan. Door bottoms, sills, inner wings, cabin and boot floor, chassis rails and pretty much the entire underneath. Have always been paranoid about rust. It would have been scrap years ago if I hadn't. Even with all that I had a sill drain hole go crusty which required a patch and a rear jacking point a muppet at a car tyre fitting place mangled and went a bit crusty, so that needed the welding gear(have to keep an eye on them as sadly I've found the Irish angle tends to be "old car, it'll do").

Mechanically all it's needed down the years have been bushings(Honda for the main ones, Blueprint don't last pissing time), steering rack gaiter, dizzy cap and coil, a rebuilt alternator and I put new brake disks on. Clutch will need doing at some stage, but luckily last year I got one of the last original Honda kits left on the shelf and for feck all(130 quid). Other than that it's been oil, filters, pads and two timing belts/water pumps. I do much of the minor spannering myself so it's been daftly cheap to run. And gets 30-35 Mpg average. Clearcoat is fading in a few places though. All that weather outside. Still given its age... Mad that's it's only a two owner car, Japan and me. Very few like that now. I saw one with twelve Irish owners.
    It's been in a shed for 5 ish years so need to check the bulbs, tyres most likely ****ed, need a friend to check if the shell can be saved or if I need to re-shall it (hopefully not), polybushed which should still be fine.
    The shell would be my worry T. Hopefully the shed helped. Getting a good shell will be bloody hard these days. If there's even a couple of bubbles in the rear wings it means the inner wings and sills are shot. I saw one two years back. JDM in black and looked pristine. No bubbles, underneath looked clean and solid. I have one of those tiny camera yokes that talks to my phone and we had a look in behind the rear arches and it had started to rot. And you can't get panels, even spurious for them. Over a year ago I got a set of rear arch panels(inc inner wheelarches)from a 1.6 that amazingly were rust free, just to have as spares. The only spare panels I don't have are wings. And a roof, but I figure if the roof's gone I've more to be worried about. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

There's a tree fallen on the Kingscourt road out of Navan, naturally the road is blocked. So traffic has to divert, there are a few ways round this incident...

Instead of setting up where there's a chance to divert traffic the fire brigade have decided to let everyone up beside the tree and make them do an awkward 3 point turn. Including coaches and articulated trucks... It's also not as if they can't divert down those roads as the last time that stretch of road was blocked (fatality at the racecourse) all possible precautions were taken to make sure traffic was alerted and diverted in plenty of time. It's not as if they can't divert traffic properly over that stretch of road, they just didn't bother their arse this time

Laziness and piss poor consideration springs to mind, along with the sentence "if they had brains they'd be dangerous"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

There's a tree fallen on the Kingscourt road out of Navan, naturally the road is blocked. So traffic has to divert, there are a few ways round this incident...

Instead of setting up where there's a chance to divert traffic the fire brigade have decided to let everyone up beside the tree and make them do an awkward 3 point turn. Including coaches and articulated trucks... It's also not as if they can't divert down those roads as the last time that stretch of road was blocked (fatality at the racecourse) all possible precautions were taken to make sure traffic was alerted and diverted in plenty of time. It's not as if they can't divert traffic properly over that stretch of road, they just didn't bother their arse this time

Laziness and piss poor consideration springs to mind, along with the sentence "if they had brains they'd be dangerous"

Maybe they're trying to make the callout last longer for extra $$

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Thinking about it today realised I now have the A4 14 months which is actually the longest I have ever kept a car :)

I know its sooo long to keep the same car :pac:

• Advertisement

Thinking about it today realised I now have the A4 14 months which is actually the longest I have ever kept a car :)

Good going, I'm lucky to get 6 months out of a car before I sell it...providing I actually drive it :pac: My current 86 Civic is the longest I've had, but only because I've driven it once in 4 years! :p

Ah but they are probably either a) local meathian fire fighters having a laugh at the locals or b) more likely, instructed by morons in meath county council

What are you buying now?

What are you buying now?

Nothing at the minute was thinking of changing the last couple of months but haven’t got anytime to look at anything yet will be the summer. Would like an A5 252 Quattro, S3 Saloon possibly, would also like to look at the new model 3 series that’s just out but not sure if they have hit showrooms yet. Kind of happy enough with the A4 though so not really in a rush.

Edit: seems they have them alright 330i
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/bmw/3-series/used-2019-191-bmw-3-series-330-m-spor-dublin-fpa-201903115783236

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Just jumped on the BM website there. Jesus they write some amount of ****e about cars in their promo stuff.

"The aspiration: maximum performance in perfection and applied to every detail. For breathtaking driving dynamics that release adrenalin at every moment."

They'd also want to proof read what they put up at least once too....

"Power that the perfectly tuned 8-speed M Sport transmission and the M Sport differently apply to the road with precision."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Big day for the Golf today, love a good round number! Photo taken on a private road, obviously.

20190314-081941.jpg
    image posting

Big day for the Golf today, love a good round number! Photo taken on a private road, obviously.

What year is it 161 that’s heavy going either way you planning on keeping it much longer ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Nothing at the minute was thinking of changing the last couple of months but haven’t got anytime to look at anything yet will be the summer. Would like an A5 252 Quattro, S3 Saloon possibly, would also like to look at the new model 3 series that’s just out but not sure if they have hit showrooms yet. Kind of happy enough with the A4 though so not really in a rush.

Edit: seems they have them alright 330i
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/bmw/3-series/used-2019-191-bmw-3-series-330-m-spor-dublin-fpa-201903115783236

I like your three choices. Don't know which I would pick though.

What year is it 161 that’s heavy going either way you planning on keeping it much longer ?

Nah, that's on my 2012, the other Golf is a 162 and is due its 4th service (120k kms) next month!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

Hi all! Could someone tell me if this is a safe option? I wouldn't be that clued in on this sort of thing. So basically, I am looking to power something with a cig lighter plug, but I want it hidden. So the following work be a good shout, if it was safe..

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/1M-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Adapter-DC12V-Extension-ATC-Fuse-Tap-Holder-Lead/263321518209?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement