Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Indeed and I am Colm.

Mid west tyres still do them AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

CIP4 wrote: »
    While I have never actually had them on a car they seem to be difficult to get with good thread, make and actually at a good price. Although when you don’t plan on using them that long thread isn’t an issue. Doesn’t seem to be as big a thing as it was a few years ago.

Reminds me recently of a girl in work that got a blowout garage put on a part worn tyre some ditch finder brand can’t remeber and to make it worse they were a small size maybe 15 inch at most. She thought she had got a good deal at €60 I nearly got sick could of got a new mid range if not premium tyre for that.

Good ones are like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Even good brands can have blowout and i've seen it. You either get very old tyres or you get tyres with not a lot of thread left on them. It's next to impossible to get a matching set too. They really are a false economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Good ones are like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Even good brands can have blowout and i've seen it. You either get very old tyres or you get tyres with not a lot of thread left on them. It's next to impossible to get a matching set too. They really are a false economy.

Once they did for what I wanted I wouldn't mind too much. The E36 has a substantial bill to be paid before I can re NCT it and two new tyres are part of that NCT. I have another set of BBS wheels to fit but they need tyres too and I am loath to pay top dollar for two new tyres to pass an NCT when they will be replaced not long after all round. Unfortunately at the moment the 36 is very firmly bottom of the priority list for my cash (for good reasons to be fair) until after the summer but I want her on the road for summer so need to find a way that suits me best for the short term. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think there is a tyre seller out in Patrickswell that sells part worns or at least used to. I know one of the lads at work used get his there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Just play budget roulette.

€40 will get ya 17s some brands are apparently decent enough too

Just play budget roulette.

€40 will get ya 17s some brands are apparently decent enough too

I think I would rather take my chances on used tyres. My only experience of ditchfinders is driving a Transit with austones fitted and spinning the wheels in 3rd gear in the wet, no thanks. Had the loan of the van for a week and couldn't wait to bring it back.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    I think there is a tyre seller out in Patrickswell that sells part worns or at least used to. I know one of the lads at work used get his there.

Thanks, the wait for a spin is being pushed out to July at least.. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I think I would rather take my chances on used tyres. My only experience of ditchfinders is driving a Transit with austones fitted and spinning the wheels in 3rd gear in the wet, no thanks. Had the loan of the van for a week and couldn't wait to bring it back.

I'd have the new tyres aswel tbh. Not all budget brands are dreadful. Used tyres are a bit of an unknown.

Ken Ryan Tyres is the place out in Patrickswell if your out that side of town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Austones would be too dear in 17" :P

Seriously though old partworns with 3 or 4mm of tread will most likely be lacking in grip too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Ross94

I went looking for partworn 225/45R17 a while back. VERY hard to get a decent pair. Few places tried to sell me 6+ year old tyres...... I'm in Limerick too. ;)

Check the DOT code on sidewall for date.

I ended up getting 2 as new Michelins (Were about 12months old) on FB for €80 as a lad was going down a size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Don't forget to check the scrap yard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

So I went to get an update on the Alfa and if it's being written off.
    Imagine my surprise when I was told that the bill for everything is a cool 5k (in euro) and the car isn't being written off :O
    Car is worth 6.5k market value.
    Surely to Christ that would have been considered an economical write off in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

I think it's half to two thirds the value. It depends on your policy.

bear1 wrote: »
    Imagine my surprise when I was told that the bill for everything is a cool 5k (in euro) and the car isn't being written off :O
    Surely to Christ that would have been considered an economical write off in Ireland?

How do you feel about that? Were you hoping to go on the hunt again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

People say that but in plenty of cases it isn't. It also depends on your policy benefits.

Logically, why would an insurer pay out €6.5k to write the car off when they can repair it for €5k.

You're probably happier anyway? It was a nice car, be hard enough to replace it like for like even if you had it's fair market value?

• Advertisement

How do you feel about that? Were you hoping to go on the hunt again?

I feel so and so. I really miss the car and yearn to have it back but I'm a bit say hit and miss at the thoughts that it's repair costs have grown so much.
    Have looked for a replacement and I just can't find a version like it.

People say that but in plenty of cases it isn't. It also depends on your policy benefits.

Logically, why would an insurer pay out €6.5k to write the car off when they can repair it for €5k.

You're probably happier anyway? It was a nice car, be hard enough to replace it like for like even if you had it's fair market value?

Just to be clear, I've only third party and so cause the other driver at fault didn't have insurance then it's being dealt with by a special fund designed to compensate these events.
    I'm pretty happy knowing I'll get it back but fear how it end result will be if you get what I mean.
    I'd say in retrospect I've lost a bit now come sell time as I'll need to declare this.
    The absolute closest I could get as a like for like would be an older version of it and not the q4 which isn't a common model to find.
    One thing that has annoyed me is that I'm footing the bill for the damaged tyre as it's not being treated as accident damage even though the wing dug a long gouge into it.
    17s too which aren't cheap especially when they were pirellis.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Mid west tyres still do them AFAIK.

Called in today. They don't do them anymore but would do me some chinese vinyls for 50 a corner. If I have to spend a 100, I will just wait an extra few weeks and get 4 kumhos for my BBS wheels for about 300 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

I am thinking this wouldn’t be a bad feature for all new cars to have. Only discovered it today as I always have auto lights switched on. There a bit too it so obviously it only pings up if it is actually dark and you have lights switched off. But let’s say you were parked in your drive and switched off the lights with car idling it won’t come on then only comes on if you start moving and exceed ~10kmh, comes on with auto door locks.

It is ones of these features that you think should a car really need to state the obvious but then you see the evidence on roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

CIP4 wrote: »
    I am thinking this wouldn’t be a bad feature for all new cars to have. Only discovered it today as I always have auto lights switched on. There a bit too it so obviously it only pings up if it is actually dark and you have lights switched off. But let’s say you were parked in your drive and switched off the lights with car idling it won’t come on then only comes on if you start moving and exceed ~10kmh, comes on with auto door locks.

It is ones of these features that you think should a car really need to state the obvious but then you see the evidence on roads.

There shouldn't even be a headlight switch anymore with the way the EU are heading following Sweden's example

Just have all cars with front headlights and rear lights always on.

You could keep buttons for front/rear fog lights and keep the high beam switch on the indicators stalk by pulling forwards or backwards etc. All you're doing is removing the actual no headlight/sides option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just to be clear, I've only third party and so cause the other driver at fault didn't have insurance then it's being dealt with by a special fund designed to compensate these events.
    I'm pretty happy knowing I'll get it back but fear how it end result will be if you get what I mean.
    I'd say in retrospect I've lost a bit now come sell time as I'll need to declare this.
    The absolute closest I could get as a like for like would be an older version of it and not the q4 which isn't a common model to find.
    One thing that has annoyed me is that I'm footing the bill for the damaged tyre as it's not being treated as accident damage even though the wing dug a long gouge into it.
    17s too which aren't cheap especially when they were pirellis.

Just reading through this and was thinking are you fluent in Polish or what? As I would say it would be extremely difficult to deal with insurance companies and what not if you were not. Genuinely curious.

Just reading through this and was thinking are you fluent in Polish or what? As I would say it would be extremely difficult to deal with insurance companies and what not if you were not. Genuinely curious.

Often thought the same.

I can clear that up.
    Not a fopping chance :D
    I'm an expert at ordering drinks though.
    In all seriousness I can understand it mostly but speaking is a total failure. It's just unreal difficult.
    My wife handles this which annoys the hell out of me cause I can't get a word in.
    One of the many reasons why I plan to move back to Ireland.

I walked past a 171 A6 with Triangle tyres on the front and Event on the back. That’s a fair combo.

Was out cleaning the car today and discovered that it has a retractable hitch. I can pull that horsebox I always wanted now. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

As seen on reddit :D.

M50...
    fdQDzkF.png

I felt like I was seeing a serious amount of new focus 181 on the road compared to any other year looked it up and sales are actually back on same period last year but still overall 4th highest selling car with only the Golf, Tucson and Qashqai ahead of it in that order.

Lots of pre reges and they are giving big discounts on them with a brand new model arriving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

All sorted for another year, sailed through the test :)

3YlQElhh.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Quick question regarding wheel spacers, lads - Will any 5x120 20mm spacers fit an e60 or are there only certain types? Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Duff wrote: »
    Quick question regarding wheel spacers, lads - Will any 5x120 20mm spacers fit an e60 or are there only certain types? Cheers.

It depends on the Center Bore but generally all 5x120 would be BMW 72.6 bore, only really odd one is the E39 with a 74.1 bore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

It depends on the Center Bore but generally all 5x120 would be BMW 72.6 bore, only really odd one is the E39 with a 74.1 bore.

Perfect. Thanks, mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

5YfQ.gif

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Decided to replace all 4 tyres on one of the classics. They all had loads of thread but the fronts were some crap brand and all 4 were ancient. Got 4 nice Toyo's for less than 180e. The joy of having small wheels on a car :pac:

Needing to do my at the moment. 400 a set and they will be out of date before they need to replaced I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Totally agree, went from 215/45/17 on the old car to 215/55/16 less than half the price:D

Even changing to 225/45R17 would have seen a nice saving if they fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Yeah, they were cheaper, but didn't fit, the 215's were practically touching the shock, and they were manufacturer fitted, new car even Goodyears, Conti's all under 100 each. avg E80,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

NCT tomorrow evening. I'm nervous for this one... nothing wrong that I know of, but who knows what the test will throw up. Fingers crossed! Say a prayer for me lads! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Good luck Alan I have a test next month on my vrs and not looking forward to it!

• Advertisement

Alan, I put the 36 through in FEB. Failed on brake hoses which I didn't expect and rear tyres which I expected. Everything else was A1. A well minded car is always a well minded car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

NCT tomorrow evening. I'm nervous for this one... nothing wrong that I know of, but who knows what the test will throw up. Fingers crossed! Say a prayer for me lads! :pac:

Our Bimmer who art in the driveway
    Hallowed be thy vanos
    Thy NCT come, my will be done
    In the test centre as it is in heaven
    Give us this day our daily NCT cert
    And forgive us our failure points
    As we forgive those NCT testers who fail us
    And lead us not to buy more parts
    But deliver us from pricey repairs
    Eamonn

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Hallowed be thy vanos
    Eamonn

Bravo sir :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

For anyone using the N11 between Enniscorthy and Wexford. There's new traffic calming measures being put in place at Kyle Cross (junction for Castlebridge and Killurin)
    Whoever designed it obviously doesn't drive much. They've narrowed the road and coming northbound the hard shoulder/feeder lane to turn left has been done away with. Now cars turning left will have to slow to a crawl on a busy road with a 100kph limit .It might make sense on paper but in the real world it's damn dangerous.
    They did similar nearer Wexford and by the grace of God nobody has been killed.
    A roundabout would have been the sensible option but with road planning in this county,sense tends to go out the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Taxed my car for the year this time as I'm using it a good bit, €1494 euros for a bit of paper...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Thank God we dont pay too much tax on our wages in our country or else that would be robbery... Oh wait...

I know it would tax the wife's Audi for 8 years and she gives out mad about it but she still prefers to drive mine!

• Advertisement

Truckermal wrote: »
    I know it would tax the wife's Audi for 8 years and she gives out mad about it but she still prefers to drive mine!

One way to think of it is how much will your wife's Audi lose in depreciation this year more than 1.5K I would bet :) I know mine will anyway :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Decided to replace all 4 tyres on one of the classics. They all had loads of thread but the fronts were some crap brand and all 4 were ancient. Got 4 nice Toyo's for less than 180e. The joy of having small wheels on a car :pac:

Oneofthe reason I loved my mx5 with stock wheels. Tyres dirt cheap. :D
    I think I payed 37eu a corner for toyo T1R and my friend is mechanic who knew everyone in town and got them fitted for 20eu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hallowed be thy vanos
    Eamonn

Loved this!

Unfortunately it was a fail this time! But it wasn't so bad, failed on handbrake imbalance which is something I've known to be an issue for a long while now. So I'm going to jack the car up over the weekend and tighten it at the offending wheel. I do think it might be a case of having to replace the shoes, but I'll try the easy option first!

On the plus side, the fella that gave my results was super sound. He said he had an e46 and everything else was perfect. He claimed to have only done his brake shoes recently.

Do they have a separate shoe for the handbrake?

Loved this!

Unfortunately it was a fail this time! But it wasn't so bad, failed on handbrake imbalance which is something I've known to be an issue for a long while now. So I'm going to jack the car up over the weekend and tighten it at the offending wheel. I do think it might be a case of having to replace the shoes, but I'll try the easy option first!

On the plus side, the fella that gave my results was super sound. He said he had an e46 and everything else was perfect. He claimed to have only done his brake shoes recently.

Nice to get a tester who knows the cars and their foibles well. They can be the best advisors on what to do.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement