Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

bazz26 wrote: »

I'd open a dispute with paypal at this stage. I presume the clips we can see in the photo of the ad is what's broken?

I'd open a dispute with paypal at this stage. I presume the clips we can see in the photo of the ad is what's broken?

Yes 2 of them broken on one side which means the grille won't fit securely. I'm talking to the seller on email so I think this will be resolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Silver grilles for life :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Augeo wrote: »
    I reckon garages are fleecing people on the major service thing. My sorento is due one too shortly.... it's an air filter and a minor service essentially .... fuel filter not even to be done iirc.

Yes mine is down for oil and Filter, Air and Cabin Filter and spark plugs.

Mine is just out of warranty so probably not a big benefit in getting it serviced in the main dealer. But I find them very good to deal with and in the grand scheme of car owner costs main dealer vs. independent dealer won't swing things that much. As long as I leave on Friday with the same A4 I brought to get serviced thats the main thing :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

In Australia I think there is a law where your warranty cannot be voided if you get your car serviced at a non main dealer garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

In Australia I think there is a law where your warranty cannot be voided if you get your car serviced at a non main dealer garage.

It exists here once you can prove genuine parts etc have been used. EU directive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Anyone have a solution to prevent a car being destroyed in Tar? Wife's car is destroyed in tar after 2 month's when I done it last! A set of moulded mud flaps is €160 from Audi which would be great if it solved the problem.

Nixonbot wrote: »
    Silver grilles for life :cool:

Black grilles are the new German plates these days... :pac:

Truckermal wrote: »
    Anyone have a solution to prevent a car being destroyed in Tar? Wife's car is destroyed in tar after 2 month's when I done it last! A set of moulded mud flaps is €160 from Audi which would be great if it solved the problem.

Showing online for €108 for front and rear you would want to double check they fit the S-Line model though.

I have them on my car and never have much tar on it. To be fair they probably look better without them but they do serve a purpose.

https://www.audishop.ie/a4/transport/mud-flaps-4

• Advertisement

I sold the Fiancès 1 series on Saturday but getting it prepped for sale I swore a red car will never come into the house again. Destroyed in tar was an understatement and the red just magnifies it.

CIP4 wrote: »
    Showing online for €108 for front and rear you would want to double check they fit the S-Line model though.

I have them on my car and never have much tar on it. To be fair they probably look better without them but they do serve a purpose.

https://www.audishop.ie/a4/transport/mud-flaps-4

They won't work with sline bumpers though!
    I sold the Fiancès 1 series on Saturday but getting it prepped for sale I swore a red car will never come into the house again. Destroyed in tar was an understatement and the red just magnifies it.
    Ya this is red too and between that and stone chips it's impossible to keep well! My own car is 14 year's old and the paint is perfect!

Truckermal wrote: »
    They won't work with sline bumpers though!

Ya this is red too and between that and stone chips it's impossible to keep well! My own car is 14 year's old and the paint is perfect!

The stone chips were chronic. Modern BMW paint must be very soft. The paint on my 99 3er is in better nick.

Any tips on moving a car that's being sitting up for 9 months ? And hasnt being started in about 3-4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Farfromhome02

Any tips on moving a car that's being sitting up for 9 months ? And hasnt being started in about 3-4 months.

Handbrake could be seized on it,what engine is it? What are you intending to do? Scrap it or put it back the road?

Handbrake could be seized on it,what engine is it? What are you intending to do? Scrap it or put it back the road?

2.5 Mondeo.

Intend on putting it back on the road.

I have to recharge the battery so hoping to start it up in a few days.

2.5 Mondeo.

Intend on putting it back on the road.

I have to recharge the battery so hoping to start it up in a few days.

I'd just see if it starts and runs smoothly first. 9 months isn't a huge amount of time, I'd do a oil service (oil, oil filter and air filter) and see how she goes.

I'd just see if it starts and runs smoothly first. 9 months isn't a huge amount of time, I'd do a oil service (oil, oil filter and air filter) and see how she goes.

Yeah suppose that's all I can do. It will probably take a few hundred kms for everything to get back to normal ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Yeah suppose that's all I can do. It will probably take a few hundred kms for everything to get back to normal ?

It's a Mondeo.

Jump start and leave it running for half an hour. Be grand for the next year!

Brake discs will be corroded but should clear up after normal braking. It's a bit of a tough question to answer as it depends on the condition before it was let sit. Fluids might be due a change, the same with other parts. But honestly, check the oil level and if good just jump start and go. A quick drive will tell you how she's ticking over. I bet it'll be grand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Farfromhome02

Like said,see if it starts,take it for a spin,if it's going alright give it a good service,all it will cost is the price of a service kit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Brakes would be the first thing id look at, particularly if the werent great beforehand. Something that was a bit sticky could be seized altogether now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Anyone here ever serviced a zf8 gearbox. Its the 8 speed auto in BMW's as well as plenty of other cars. BMW say it never needs attention but zf recommend an oil and filter change at 100k km. To service it you replace the sump as the filter is part of that and swap out the fluid. Reading on how the job is done, fluid needs to be added whilst engine is running per a certain process. Would this be bread and butter type stuff for a BM indy? My box is perfect but figure preventative maintenance might be a good idea, but don't want to dick about with it if it's not straightforward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

I wouldn't go near it tbh. Plenty of examples out there with over 250,000 miles and never serviced and no issues. I asked about it once in a dealers and they said it's sealed for the life of the car (like the timing chain!).

I brought herself 1 series in for a pre sale check with the buyers mechanic and he was adamant about getting it changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I brought herself 1 series in for a pre sale check with the buyers mechanic and he was adamant about getting it changed.

Maybe email BMW so you can show the response?

OSI wrote: »
    The same BMW that built “lifetime” timing chains, swirl flaps etc?

BMW did not build the autobox though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Anyone here ever serviced a zf8 gearbox. Its the 8 speed auto in BMW's as well as plenty of other cars. BMW say it never needs attention but zf recommend an oil and filter change at 100k km. To service it you replace the sump as the filter is part of that and swap out the fluid. Reading on how the job is done, fluid needs to be added whilst engine is running per a certain process. Would this be bread and butter type stuff for a BM indy? My box is perfect but figure preventative maintenance might be a good idea, but don't want to dick about with it if it's not straightforward.

I think it's fairly handy DIY, if you're that way inclined and have axle stands and a vaccum pump. It's bolt on - off for the sump/ filer, fill until the comes out the fill hole, idle engine and top up again, cycle through a series of gears and then top up again. ZF have kindly put a guide online.

https://www.zf.com/unitedkingdom/en_gb/corporate/aftermarket/spare_parts_corporate/transmissions_corporate/how_to_change_oil/change_oil.html

Be no bother to a good independent i'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

If you're anywhere near Waterford/Tramore our local Indy serviced ours last year.

Not a big or expensive job. Think it's critical to use the correct fluid and warm the box up properly.

• Advertisement

I don't know OSI but they've been using them since 2007 and it has never been on the service schedule on any model.

Out of curiosity what other car manufacturers use the ZF box and do they service them?

The chap buying the car was happy to get it changed during the next oil service and his mechanic was confident in doing it so I didn't interfere. Interesting though, is there a yearly limit or just 100k? Our 4 series has 34k but will more than likely not hit 100k for years.

Cheers for the responses. I plan on keeping the car a while so I reckon it'll need doing in my ownership eventually so may as well do it now.

I think BM saying it doesn't need touched is a decision by their finance dept and not their engineers. They probably reckon by the time it fails it's outside warranty so not their issue anymore. I'd prefer to stick to ZF's guidelines on it.

Interesting reading here about the life time v long life terms used around maintenance of the ZF8 gearbox:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-847757.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The same BMW that built “lifetime” timing chains, swirl flaps etc?
    When I see "lifetime" as a description on a car fluid(and a few parts), I think a) Lifetime = until it's outa warranty and not our problem yer honour and b) me hoop.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The chap buying the car was happy to get it changed during the next oil service and his mechanic was confident in doing it so I didn't interfere. Interesting though, is there a yearly limit or just 100k? Our 4 series has 34k but will more than likely not hit 100k for years.
    8 years mentioned in Bazz's link

• Advertisement

Interesting link bazz, and going by that mine should be done as I've hit 70k miles. Using the correct oil is critical it seems. Not sure how much longer I'll hold onto my own so I won't be doing it just yet.

Will you chance it yourself vintage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Gents,

Looking for a sat nav disc for an 06 730d.

Any ideas where I can look bar ebay? Or is that my best option?

Thanks

Gents,

Looking for a sat nav disc for an 06 730d.

Any ideas where I can look bar ebay? Or is that my best option?

Thanks

PM Voodoomelon.

Wailin wrote: »
    Interesting link bazz, and going by that mine should be done as I've hit 70k miles. Using the correct oil is critical it seems. Not sure how much longer I'll hold onto my own so I won't be doing it just yet.

Will you chance it yourself vintage?

I'm on my third BMW with the ZF8 gearbox and have never had the t/f changed on any of them. Never had any problems but mind you they were all under the intervals being recommended, during my ownership. I was also told by a few different people in the know that if the box was not giving problems then best to leave it well alone. Hard to know what to believe these days really but I don't think I'll be proactively changing it this year anyway as I have 4 tyres to replace, brake pads and knowing the F10's fondness for discs probably a front set of them too.

On a side note, Wailin are you getting itchy about changing again? Anything caught your eye? A G30 530d?

If the manufacturer of the box recommends changing the oil every 100ish k km I don't see why not. Leaving it alone may well be fine, but changing it once the gearbox develops an issue may be too late, then the bill is going to be for a new box. The onboard computer tells me every 20k miles for engine oil. I think for the extra cost of doing oil changes a bit more frequently to keep a car in good order makes more sense to me. Likewise for the gearbox. Maybe I'm a fool though, who knows.

• Advertisement

A 172-D car with a reg in the 15K range would that tell you it’s irish in other words with UK imports do they still get a high number or has the system changed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

If the manufacturer of the box recommends changing the oil every 100ish k km I don't see why not. Leaving it alone may well be fine, but changing it once the gearbox develops an issue may be too late, then the bill is going to be for a new box. The onboard computer tells me every 20k miles for engine oil. I think for the extra cost of doing oil changes a bit more frequently to keep a car in good order makes more sense to me. Likewise for the gearbox. Maybe I'm a fool though, who knows.

E39's have the "sealed for life" ZF boxes too, mine had never been serviced on the 525 and 540, I serviced both boxes at around 130k miles and both have shifted much better after it and still haven't exploded so I wouldn't believe the scaremongers about changing it and then having the box go!

Don't believe they separate the regs like that anymore.

It wouldn't of taken dublin very long to get to 15K in 172 though would it ? in other words if it was a uk import it would of had to have been imported after 2 or 3 months which is unlikely you'd imagine.

24709 seems to be the last reg. Make of that what you will.

Yes probably just easier to ring and ask rather than speculating :pac:

Or just type the full reg into the free motorcheck search and it'll tell you.

Or just type the full reg into the free motorcheck search and it'll tell you.

Well it won’t tell you if it’s been imported or not without paying for a full check.

It does, if you just type the reg into the free basic search on the homepage. If it's an Irish car it doesn't say anything but if it's a UK car it tells you, as a tactic to get you to buy a report. "This car is a UK import and we have x other record on it". Try it with a reg that you know to be a UK car and you'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

I registered an import last year, got a much higher no than anything I’ve seen on the roads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

CIP4 wrote: »
    A 172-D car with a reg in the 15K range would that tell you it’s irish in other words with UK imports do they still get a high number or has the system changed ?

Don’t know where 172Ds got up to that year but they ceased the high reg numbers from 131D. When I brought a car to Ireland in 2016 I got 132D 14xxx. It’s conceivable that fewer than 15k cars were reg’d in the second half of 2017.

It does, if you just type the reg into the free basic search on the homepage. If it's an Irish car it doesn't say anything but if it's a UK car it tells you, as a tactic to get you to buy a report. "This car is a UK import and we have x other record on it". Try it with a reg that you know to be a UK car and you'll see.

Ah ok not saying anything about a UK import so seems its Irish so. Thanks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement