Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

Finally got around to cleaning the cabin of the RX.

I found receipts from works jobs I did 2 years ago. M&M's and a 2 euro coin. I learned that when you let a dog into a car it'll never, ever, leave.

And that there's specs and spots of rust everywhere on the body where it's been stonechipped.

On the plus side of things I finally figured out why so many of my camera lenses got fungus'd. My CD's in the car got fungus'd too,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Driving out of Dublin port there about 9ish. From about the 3 arena along the liffey and well out towards Lucan I was both side by side and right behind Foxhole Norman (nearly sure it was him). I won't lie I had the window down the whole way :cool: The noise out of that thing is cruel! Not to mention the condition. Top class!

Cheers man :D Definitely me alright, was up in Dublin for the weekend with some buddies for a nerd event, we would've been tipping back to the AirBnB at that time after food!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

In it's natural habitat :)

47515768771_695e88f9ac_c.jpg

47463077622_a75575ffc5_c.jpg

Great craic messing around with this today, they really can go anywhere. This one had the engine upgraded from the standard 1.3L to a 1.6L, plenty of power in such a light jeep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

How if at all is the drivability and steering effected by the lift? Looks class

Unfortunately Duke it's just a body lift and not a suspension lift which would better for off roading. The body lift allows you to add the big a/t tyres which would otherwise be rubbing off the body. So body lift doesn't really affect handling. It might make it more prone to tipping because of the height increase affecting stability.

Suspension lift would give better ground clearance, less chance of underbody hitting off terrain which happened me a few times today. Downside is that it would affect handling, but better off road. Pros and cons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Cheers man Definitely me alright, was up in Dublin for the weekend with some buddies for a nerd event, we would've been tipping back to the AirBnB at that time after food!

Was gonna beep or cut across ya or something so you'd remember when I'd mention it on here :pac:

Having some hassle trying to get insurance on the Jimny :( Yesterday I just did a temporary transfer from the Beemer over so I rang around today to get insurance on it and I never realised your no claims bonus can only be for one car. Any company I rang then won't give a quote as they want a minimum of 1 year no claims on the car. Any solution or ways around this lads as I know there's a good few on here with daily and weekend cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Wailin wrote: »
    Having some hassle trying to get insurance on the Jimny :( Yesterday I just did a temporary transfer from the Beemer over so I rang around today to get insurance on it and I never realised your no claims bonus can only be for one car. Any company I rang then won't give a quote as they want a minimum of 1 year no claims on the car. Any solution or ways around this lads as I know there's a good few on here with daily and weekend cars?

Could possibly get a classic policy, check out what autoline have to say, failing that - a good 3rd party extension jobby.

Car has to be 25+ for classic policy doesn't it?

Car has to be 25+ for classic policy doesn't it?

Nope, some even accepted from 10 y/o.

Give em a buzz, you might end up a very happy camper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads, a bit weird one.
    My car payments always go up at around 28th. It's 2nd today and they still haven't taken money. I know, it fell on weekend, but surely it's Tuesday and still nothing.
    I wonder if it's still stalled tomorrow, who would I contact? Dealership or VW bank, if it's even possible.

It's 20 years unfortunately:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Lads, a bit weird one.
    My car payments always go up at around 28th. It's 2nd today and they still haven't taken money. I know, it fell on weekend, but surely it's Tuesday and still nothing.
    I wonder if it's still stalled tomorrow, who would I contact? Dealership or VW bank, if it's even possible.
    Nothing to do with the dealership, your loan is with the bank (in this case VW bank)

Contact them with any queries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Normally if a payment date falls on the weekend it's taken before the weekend. That's how it happened for me in the past, it was never after the weekend.

It's 20 years unfortunately:(

Feck, :(

You may sell it on to a family member so ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Normally if a payment date falls on the weekend it's taken before the weekend. That's how it happened for me in the past, it was never after the weekend.

That's what usually happens. This time it's weird. I am a bit ocd when it comes to money and finances. I'll wait till tomorrow and then contact me bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I think 15 is really about the upper limit for classic cover, with Autoline.

@Wailin, who have you tried for classic cover? Try Autoline, however they mightn't cover the Jimny as you're a new customer/its so new/and its your only car with them. If you had the space, buy a cheap early 90s Micra or similar, insure it as a classic and add the Jimny to the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

When I was organising final payment it went out a few days after the normal direct debit date. Give them (VW Bank) a call, your bank may have stopped it for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

@Wallin, I was looking at a mk1(2002) TT last year and I was quoted classic insurance on this as I had another car as a daily. I believe it was Carole Nash who quoted. I didn't get the car in the end so the memory of who I used to quote is vague.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Autoline are 15 years but that tends to be on German stuff moreso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Some brokers will mirror your ncb so that'd be worth looking into.

Cheers lads. I rang Carole Nash earlier it's 20 years with them also. I'll have to try a few brokers and hope they morror the ncb. Never thought I'd be having issues insuring a jimny!

Cheers lads. I rang Carole Nash earlier it's 20 years with them also. I'll have to try a few brokers and hope they morror the ncb. Never thought I'd be having issues insuring a jimny!

Have you a teenager or young adult? Could be a cheap way to get them a policy in their own name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Got my insurance renewal in today was actually surprised how low it was, was €850 last year which was the lowest I got by a good bit expecting around the same this year and came in at €650 :) Not bad considering I am 24. The B9 A4 seems to be particularly cheap to insure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Shur tis only a 1.4

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Shur tis only a 1.4

Yes must be the way they look at it.

Have you a teenager or young adult? Could be a cheap way to get them a policy in their own name.

A 1.6 jimny with a bodylift won't be cheap for a young driver.

Augeo wrote: »

Need they know about the bodylift if it is only being used offroad?

Lads, a bit weird one.

Mine is due 5th of the month and they would always take it on the 5th if it’s a weekday or if a weekend would take it the Monday after would never take it earlier than the 5th. Depending on who you bank with some of the online banking systems would let you look at pending payments and I can normally see it there 1-2 days before it’s taken out.

The bodylift gets installed just as one goes offroad?

• Advertisement

All the more reason to use extension driving for it..

Just to clarify my point, I know this isn't the case.
    And a bodylift kit has potential to impact brake lines so extended ones might be required, also a steering spacer could also be required.
    It's the sort of stuff/mods that should be declared, steering, brake and suspension sort of stuff.

If the thing is only being used offroad than it doesn't need to be insured at all.

No extension needed to brakes or steering on a 2" body lift. There are needed on a suspension lift above 2".

A decent 2nd hand trailer could also be an option. You are off roading on private land I imagine?

No extension needed to brakes or steering on a 2" body lift. There are needed on a suspension lift above 2".

That's all lovely, however not declaring a 2" bodylift is IMO lunacy :)

That's all lovely, however not declaring a 2" bodylift is IMO lunacy :)

Hey, will you let me get insurance on the thing first! :D

A decent 2nd hand trailer could also be an option. You are off roading on private land I imagine?

Er, not sure :o

OSI wrote: »
    Funny how much of an impact the cold has on the tyre pressures. At the weekend these all read 39psi while resting, but this morning they had all dropped to 35. Was back up to 39 after about 15 minutes of driving, but I'd love to know why it decided that one single tyre was worthy of a warning despite having the same pressure as the rest :confused:

I’d imagine it’s because the display is showing the value as an integer rounded but the warning must not be. In other words the other 3 might be 34.9 psi and the front one on fault is 34.6 let’s say the warning is set to come on at 34.7 psi then they would all display at 35psi but only the front right would be on fault for low pressure. If that makes sense.

Er, not sure :o

LOL! Doing my best for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

OSI wrote: »
    Funny how much of an impact the cold has on the tyre pressures. At the weekend these all read 39psi while resting, but this morning they had all dropped to 35. Was back up to 39 after about 15 minutes of driving, but I'd love to know why it decided that one single tyre was worthy of a warning despite having the same pressure as the rest :confused:

ezhiyxvl.jpg

1.6 Psi for every 10 degrees apparently. Handy to know if your inflating your tyres on a random frosty morning in april.

• Advertisement

Interslice wrote: »
    1.6 Psi for every 10 degrees apparently. Handy to know if your inflating your tyres on a random frosty morning in april.

Yup.......

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109601152&postcount=3980

Anyone know what story is with current Golf GTI models there is a 245bhp model which seems to be the standard model for 2019. Then there is the TCR 280bhp which is a special order with only 20 available in Ireland. But then on the build site there is a 290bhp model anyone know much on that have never heard of a 290 model GTI ? I wouldn’t of even thought they would make one as it is a bit too close to the Golf R and would surely steel some of the R sales or is it only a limited edition model ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is a big thread on the Golf GTI/R in the buying and selling sub forum. They have reduced the GTi range recently afaik as there is a new model MK8 Golf due later this year with a new GTi model due about 6 months after that. Pricing and motor tax has also gone up on the existing GTi range. Better value in a 2017/2018 used model than buying brand new at this stage imo. Go for the GTi Performance Pack version too which has increased bhp, upgraded brakes and a LSD over the standard GTi. Plenty of lads here have/had them so will be able to guide you better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

CIP4 wrote: »
    Anyone know what story is with current Golf GTI models there is a 245bhp model which seems to be the standard model for 2019. Then there is the TCR 280bhp which is a special order with only 20 available in Ireland. But then on the build site there is a 290bhp model anyone know much on that have never heard of a 290 model GTI ? I wouldn’t of even thought they would make one as it is a bit too close to the Golf R and would surely steel some of the R sales or is it only a limited edition model ?

On the build site if you select the 290 the TCR decals are on the car when selecting colour.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    On the build site if you select the 290 the TCR decals are on the car when selecting colour.

Ah ok may well be the same thing so just on the home page it mentions it as 280ps and on the build site give choice to pick at 290ps probably just a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

bazz26 wrote: »

Right car wrong seats, you'd want the super sport seats.

bazz26 wrote: »

Don’t like S3 hatchbacks only the Saloon. To be fair that car probably isn’t too badly price considering newer S3s seem to hold their value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

I don't understand why people insist on doing 66-70kph all the way along the N25

You're not driving any safer. Just slower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

That's 120 for a while and 100 rest of the way painful in parts alright.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement