Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just watched the last episode of this season's Grand Tour. It was a Mongola special and they had to assemble an all terrain type vehicle from 3 boxes parachuted down to them then drive it across a section of the Gobi desert finishing in a town called Moron. Thought it was a pretty good episode, the bromance between the 3 was strong in this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Dartz wrote: »
    I don't understand why people insist on doing 66-70kph all the way along the N25

You're not driving any safer. Just slower.

Oh stop! I was driving back home from work around 22:00 and had met 4 people doing 70km/h on Cork Limerick road!!! One yaris was doing 50-60km/h!!! I thought Sunday drivers was a urban myth until I sow them all on the road last night.

Lads, is it me, or 2016-2018 hot hatches keeping and will keep their value a bit better then usual?
    Thanks to new emissions tests anything new jumped up in price and tax band.

They didn't just jump in price, some of them have reduced bhp too including the Golf R and Leon Cupra, both I think are down about 10bhp on previous versions.

bazz26 wrote: »
    They didn't just jump in price, some of them have reduced bhp too including the Golf R and Leon Cupra, both I think are down about 10bhp on previous versions.

I thought current Cupra is still 300, but now only dsg. That's another side effect, very hard to get manuals as auto is lower emissions etc.

For same reason I bet we are not getting manual Polo gti. Only dsg available right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

On my first DSG hot hatch after having a few manual ones, can't imagine ever gonig back to a manual again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Guys I think I am having some sort of midlife crisis or something.
    After going to the swords show yesterday and seeing the blue scooby I find myself dreaming at Evo X's online.
    I guess I am missing the jdm feel, havent had one since I sold my Z32 300ZX.

Actually evo 8 is quite ticking the box too
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mitsubishi-evo-8/21337065

Terrible.
    But assuming it's doable at home on a ramp/jack stands it can't be that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

€2350 tax too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

€2350 tax too

Christ almighty.
    Thats working out to be one expensive car....

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    Guys I think I am having some sort of midlife crisis or something.
    After going to the swords show yesterday and seeing the blue scooby I find myself dreaming at Evo X's online.
    I guess I am missing the jdm feel, havent had one since I sold my Z32 300ZX.

Actually evo 8 is quite ticking the box too
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mitsubishi-evo-8/21337065

I was always was a Subaru man over Evo. :D
    It's a shame tax system completely destroyed them in Ireland. Nothing there past 07.

I presume it's even harder to keep Evo or Scooby on road these days. Insurance companies will just laugh in your face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

€2350 tax too

Only post 08, 710 otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

It's a shame tax system completely destroyed them in Ireland. Nothing there past 07.

I presume it's even harder to keep Evo or Scooby on road these days. Insurance companies will just laugh in your face.

99 and older stuff ain't too bad what with classic insurance though, could keep an evo 5 on the road for a grand or so a year now.

Anything fun got ruined with that, RX8 was the same, 2350 tax on emissions, 1.3/1.7 tax on CC

Pre '08 there's a few but it's the evo X I particularly like. Won't pay 200 a month (!!) in tax though so I guess the evo 7/8 is the way to go to scratch that itch. Do any boardsies have one??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Lads, is it me, or 2016-2018 hot hatches keeping and will keep their value a bit better then usual?
    Thanks to new emissions tests anything new jumped up in price and tax band.

I remember the same happening around 08 when the co2 tax came on board, I'd say it may stop some pulling the trigger, I was moving from my ctr to a cla45 amg for January gone, but wltp bumped the price about 10k and moved the merc into silly tax too. Interestingly though the civics emissions haven't changed under wltp for 2019, but arent additional increases due again this year?

5500 wrote: »
    I remember the same happening around 08 when the co2 tax came on board, I'd say it may stop some pulling the trigger, I was moving from my ctr to a cla45 amg for January gone, but wltp bumped the price about 10k and moved the merc into silly tax too. Interestingly though the civics emissions haven't changed under wltp for 2019, but arent additional increases due again this year?

Leon Cupra went from 36k to 40k too. On the other hand it's only dsg now, so I guess price bump gone in to that too.
    On the other hand, I presume some manufacturers we're more honest then others. No wonder all German brands had so many issues with new test.
    I am keeping an eye on Leon Cupra, Skoda rs, golf GTI and all of them 2016-2017 keeping their prices very damn well. Funny enough golfs R dropping in price more then gtis. Tax band on Cupra 290 171 dsg is 390eu and 181 Cupra 300 dsg is 570eu, not sure about 191 yet. I know for me personally difference between 390 and 570 is feck all, but some people will have a fanny attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

I'm thinking if removing the rear seats permanently on the jimny as they will never be used and boot is tiny. Is this an nct fail lads? I can always put them back in for the nct if need be.

Wailin wrote: »
    I'm thinking if removing the rear seats permanently on the jimny as they will never be used and boot is tiny. Is this an nct fail lads? I can always put them back in for the nct if need be.

8. CIRCUMSTANCES IN WHICH
    TO REFUSE TO ISSUE A TEST
    CERTIFICATE
    The circumstances in which the NCTS will refuse to issue
    a test certificate are as follows:
    • Where the person who presents the vehicle to be
    tested fails to produce the required identification.
    The owner and the Driver and Vehicle Computer
    Services Division must be notified where there are any
    discrepancies between the vehicle documentation or
    N.C.T.S. vehicle file and the vehicle in the Make, Model,
    Body type, EU Vehicle Category, VRT Vehicle Category,
    Motor Taxation Class or number of seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

This was popular with Jap stuff years ago, maybe it still is.

It used to be the case that if the seats were removed, that the bolt threads for the seat base and seat belts had to be unusable so lads used to fill them with filler or weld a bolt into them etc and they would pass.

Got my insurance renewal... Payed 980eu last year, this year broker sent 1150eu from FBD ( who I was with 2 years now ), but they got AXA for 1001eu for me. After quick look online, there is nothing much better then that.
    So fecking sick of paying 1k eu each year with 11ncb and not a single point on my license.

• Advertisement

It used to be the case that if the seats were removed, that the bolt threads for the seat base and seat belts had to be unusable so lads used to fill them with filler or weld a bolt into them etc and they would pass.
    That was for the commercial tax

Got my insurance renewal... Payed 980eu last year, this year broker sent 1150eu from FBD ( who I was with 2 years now ), but they got AXA for 1001eu for me. After quick look online, there is nothing much better then that.
    So fecking sick of paying 1k eu each year with 11ncb and not a single point on my license.

1k is pretty high, my pro rata 12 month insurance on a 14 year old e60 535d is around the same and I had an accident in 2017 and 5 penalty points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That was for commercial conversions afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That was for commercial conversions afaik.

Was never into them :pac:, I recall it from lads doing it in Starlets and Corollas that were stripped out at the back, sounds like the idea stemmed from the commercial conversion thing initially.

Was never into them :pac:, I recall it from lads doing it in Starlets and Corollas that were stripped out at the back, sounds like the idea stemmed from the commercial conversion thing initially.
    Either that or Max Power scene.

The likes of starlets/corollas wouldnt have even qualified for dodgy commercial tax

ELM327 wrote: »
    That was for the commercial tax

1k is pretty high, my pro rata 12 month insurance on a 14 year old e60 535d is around the same and I had an accident in 2017 and 5 penalty points

The joys of living in Linerick. My insurance is 200eu higher just because where I live. Ironically car is used only 10% in actual city ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Last time I was getting some ins. quotations, apart from my address and where car is left overnight they all asked what county/region car will mostly be driven. That changed now?

Lads, a work colleague is looking at buying a used car from AIG Autos in Dunboyne, Co. Meath. Google returns very little other than they are in business around 7 years which is a plus I guess. Anyone know them or bought from them in the past?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The joys of living in Linerick. My insurance is 200eu higher just because where I live. Ironically car is used only 10% in actual city ffs.

High car crime area, plus car is parked there at night when most crimes will occur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

joujoujou wrote: »
    Last time I was getting some ins. quotations, apart from my address and where car is left overnight they all asked what county/region car will mostly be driven. That changed now?

Some do, some don't. It is one of those question that some can't even answer. Including me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

I thought current Cupra is still 300, but now only dsg. That's another side effect, very hard to get manuals as auto is lower emissions etc.

For same reason I bet we are not getting manual Polo gti. Only dsg available right now.

In 2017 and earlier they were 290 then went to 300bhp then sometime last year with all emissions issues they had to go back to 290 loads of people with 300s ordered ended up getting 290s instead. Think they are back to 300 again. I have driven a 290 DSG and not sure why you would want a manual one the DSG in them is class.

CIP4 wrote: »
    In 2017 and earlier they were 290 then went to 300bhp then sometime last year with all emissions issues they had to go back to 290 loads of people with 300s ordered ended up getting 290s instead. Think they are back to 300 again. I have driven a 290 DSG and not sure why you would want a manual one the DSG in them is class.

Obviously done in software so you could easily get it brought back up to 300+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

High car crime area, plus car is parked there at night when most crimes will occur.

Have you a link to back up that claim, Limerick being a high car crime area?

I'm just pointing out the obvious and parts of Dublin would also and maybe parts of Cork also but I do not know much about Cork.

Obviously compared to the rest of the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

From talking to someone related to that industry, it’s apparently personal injury claims by people with limerick addresses that pushes it up.

Limerick does have an issue with car theft, but it’s relatively small figures that are reported, roughly 250 per year for the county

56942472_10156270181716801_1948181725058170880_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=80967fe622caf93c843a686999df7a7d&oe=5D4722D0

• Advertisement

I'm just pointing out the obvious and parts of Dublin would also and maybe parts of Cork also but I do not know much about Cork.

Obviously compared to the rest of the country.

Hardly obvious. But sure it's easy to knock Limerick being such an easy target.

Hardly obvious. But sure it's easy to knock Limerick being such an easy target.

I'm not knocking it but obviously there is more crime in Limerick than other parts of the country and also in Dublin and Cork. Obviously there is crime in other smaller cities and larger towns but those three I mentioned in last post are where it happens most often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

He didn’t kill anyone but given that he overtook 12 cars and a bus at 90kph in a suburban location that seems to have been luck. If they weren’t going to jail him, why not a 10 year or lifetime ban? Clearly, under pressure he gets soooked and acts like a reckless moron.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/lucky-someone-wasnt-killed-learner-driver-who-overtook-12-cars-and-a-bus-on-the-wrong-side-of-the-road-avoids-jail-37999340.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You have a car that might be a theft target for the lovely Limerick gangs.

Marcusm wrote: »

He is the gangs.....:eek: :D

• Advertisement

He didn’t kill anyone but given that he overtook 12 cars and a bus at 90kph in a suburban location that seems to have been luck. If they weren’t going to jail him, why not a 10 year or lifetime ban? Clearly, under pressure he gets soooked and acts like a reckless moron.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/lucky-someone-wasnt-killed-learner-driver-who-overtook-12-cars-and-a-bus-on-the-wrong-side-of-the-road-avoids-jail-37999340.html

He got off extremely lightly. I got a 2 year ban for far far less over 10 years ago. Yes, I learned my lesson since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

90kph on the Hartstown Road?

Take some effort to do that in a Transit with the way the ramps are all the way down to Hunstown. Maybe the short bit between Mountview and the turn to Ongar....

Nice way to end a match tonight :(

46850311904_a6cbf14fee_c.jpg

Can anyone advise here? I've never had this before, should I be contacting my own insurance or the clubs? I have cover so its no big deal but just curious

Nice way to end a match tonight :(

46850311904_a6cbf14fee_c.jpg

Can anyone advise here? I've never had this before, should I be contacting my own insurance or the clubs? I have cover so its no big deal but just curious

Football? There might be bad blood if you contact the clubs. Have you windscreen cover with your insurance? It will more than likely put you out of pocket by €50 due to excess if your insurance policy covers windscreen damage.

Well that’s it yeah, I don’t want to go creasing a small club anyway. They said they’d get back to me but I’m half expecting a “cars are parked at owners risk” generic response over the phone

I have windscreen cover as part of my cover. Will ring the insurance tomorrow and get it sorted I suppose

I actually only just got mine done a month or two ago. Was cracked for a while but had to get it done for the NCT. It was a mobile service so handy enough. Got it done before on a previous car and had to drive to a centre about half an hour away, so was a bit of a inconvenience.

2009 called, they want their joke back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I was listening to blindboy on the way home talking about this exactly. How the press gave Limerick that reputation and it's not justified based on gang activity 10 years ago. I'm from the far end of the country and would have allowed that rep to influence my thoughts towards the city. A few years ago myself and herself went down there for a weekend though and had a great feckin time. I really liked the feel of the place, but it's mad how it will take years for the reputation to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I was driving behind an Audi A8 this evening and by god the hum of the engine was beautiful, looked it up there and it’s a 3litre Quattro 290bhp. A monster of a car :) nice to see some beautiful cars around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Autosport wrote: »
    I was driving behind an Audi A8 this evening and by god the hum of the engine was beautiful, looked it up there and it’s a 3litre Quattro 290bhp. A monster of a car :) nice to see some beautiful cars around

Not enough power....

Needs more power....

No really more...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement