Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Not enough power....

Needs more power....

No really more...

Believe me it moved quite quickly ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Autosport wrote: »
    Believe me it moved quite quickly ;)

300 is what's in hot hatches....

300 is what's in hot hatches....

The A8 is not a hatch, it’s huge, had to give him extra room at the roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The A8 is not a hatch, it’s huge, had to give him extra room at the roundabout.

No I know hence needs more power.... ;-)

No I know hence needs more power.... ;-)

You think 290bhp is not powerful enough :eek:

I’d hate to see you on a bike :D

Beautiful car though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

An A8 weighs 2+ tonnes. 290bhp will push it along nicely, but it's modest power for a tank like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭selectamatic

2009 called, they want their joke back.

Tbf ye Limerick boys get it handy enough with regards stereotyping.

It's people from Donegal who get the real raw deal with some of the sh1te posted on these forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Tbf ye Limerick boys get it handy enough with regards stereotyping.

It's people from Donegal who get the real raw deal with some of the sh1te posted on these forums.

“Never buy a car with a DL reg” is a great one. Proper expert advice or what..!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Guys some brief guidance wanted. I'm doing huge mileage and getting very bored of my very good Avensis diesel. A friend is about to sell a 2007 Golf GT with a fresh DSG gearbox rebuild. Very low mileage and good condition. Would I be mad to consider it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Is a Golf really going to be that much more interesting/special?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Guys some brief guidance wanted. I'm doing huge mileage and getting very bored of my very good Avensis diesel. A friend is about to sell a 2007 Golf GT with a fresh DSG gearbox rebuild. Very low mileage and good condition. Would I be mad to consider it?

Might be a slightly nicer drive maybe but can’t see it being all that exciting either if boredom is what’s getting you. And going to an older, statistically less reliable car from a known quantity if you depend on the car doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Is a Golf really going to be that much more interesting/special?

Maybe? I don't know really. The Avensis us perfectly adequate in every way which is probably it's biggest failing. Nothing wrong with it at all, it even comes with a genuine full Toyota service history! What I mean though is that it's been well looked after and I know it shouldn't land me with a surprise.

Might be a slightly nicer drive maybe but can’t see it being all that exciting either if boredom is what’s getting you. And going to an older, statistically less reliable car from a known quantity if you depend on the car doesn’t make a lot of sense.

That's true. I really do have to depend on it to make it in any weather or conditions. It's just a bit boring to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Yes. An 07 GT could easily have that TSI engine with the turbo and supercharger which is known to be very troublesome. The 140 and 170 PS variants of the 1.4 are the twincharger units, the 122 is turbo only and is much more reliable but obviously slower.

Anyway, if you're doing big mileage, stick with the Avensis, we have two of them so the boredom I can totally relate to (they are boring to drive and to travel in), but there's a reason they're so popular with taxi drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Stick with the avensis! Id say youd get bored of throwing money at the golf fairly quick. Low miles good condition and gearbox rebuild wouldnt be a good mix for me. Mates rates or not.

Would you consider a second car? A classic or something fun to drive.

• Advertisement

Thanks Guys. I think I was just having a head stagger after my second 5 hour trip of the week. It's a great car and perfect for the job, just a tad dull.

@Colm I've two projects on the go right now. A Very early Clio that's almost completed and a Citroen BX which is waiting for me to begin. I'm not sure I'd call either exciting. That comes next when I get an E46.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

“Never buy a car with a DL reg” is a great one. Proper expert advice or what..!?

I always thought that was to do with the quality of roads rather than drivers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

2009 called, they want their joke back.

I didn’t suggest that Limerick was overrun with gangs but, like Dublin and other cities, it does have them. The OP’s car is a desirable high powered sleeper hatchback and therefore ideal as a quick getaway car. I stand by my statement. It would equally be a target for Dublin or border region gangs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I saw a car on the M50 a few weeks ago, a Volvo XC60 I think, but what caught my eye was it's reg. I can't remember the exact year (161-171 I think), or it's county (wasn't D, was was maybe MH or something with 2 letters), but what I do remember was the number, in that there was no number!!

It was 16?-??-0000

It was beside me long enough to see it a good few times, and it was definitely 0000 (missus also confirmed), same 0000 on the front when i went past it too!

Surely that's a dodgy reg no? or perhaps a Garda/Army reg of some sort! Anyone ever seen similar?

(I couldn't be ar$ed pulling the dashcam footage later to check, but it was 100% 0000)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

That's a plate dealers use while the car is on a forecourt. IT's possible it was either on a test drive or an employee took it out.

It kind of helps to protect against cloning to a certain degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Usually see them on UK import stuff that hasn't been VRT'd yet.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    I was listening to blindboy on the way home talking about this exactly. How the press gave Limerick that reputation and it's not justified based on gang activity 10 years ago. I'm from the far end of the country and would have allowed that rep to influence my thoughts towards the city. A few years ago myself and herself went down there for a weekend though and had a great feckin time. I really liked the feel of the place, but it's mad how it will take years for the reputation to go.

Blindboy should point out that drug gangs etc have little to no interest in disturbing weekend tourists or anyone else for that matter. I'd not take much notice of whatever populist horsesh1t he comes out with anyway.

The recent CAB activities in Limerick illustrate that there's still an awful lot of money being made and laundered ..........as with all such things, what CAB focus on is likely the tip of the iceberg there's absolutely fnck loads of gang activity in Limerick but the stab city rubbish was always overplayed media crap.

The the McCarthy Dundons, Ryans and the Keane/Collopy gang feud from years ago was quite simply bad for business really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Drug gangs will exist and do exist all over the country, Limerick is no exception. What gets my back up is this negative stereotype held by many about Limerick being an unsafe and dangerous place to visit. I've lived in Limerick all of my adult life and I've rarely witnessed any trouble, if anything I've gone out on nights in other towns and cities in Ireland and seen more hassle/fights and such.

....... What gets my back up is this negative stereotype held by many about Limerick being an unsafe and dangerous place to visit.....................

Yeah, that's totally unwarranted but I don't think it's held by too many. Anyone who went to college or who worked in Limerick only has good things to say about the place.

Dublin suffers the same in a way, "it's over run with junkies and scummers" etc etc etc......... yet 100s of thousands of tourists, workers and joe soaps potter about the city day and night with little to no bother :)
    .......Drug gangs will exist and do exist all over the country, Limerick is no exception. ....................

Yeah, but as well as being not the exception the Limerick one(s) are particularly large ...........outside of Dublin they're probably....maybe... (I have no source) the biggest players...........and well affiliated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I was driving behind an Audi A8 this evening and by god the hum of the engine was beautiful, looked it up there and it’s a 3litre Quattro 290bhp. A monster of a car :) nice to see some beautiful cars around

Not enough power....

Needs more power....

No really more...

Large engine, lots of low end torque, auto kickdown, decent gearbox.

In a large luxury car......

I'm very confident that it will feel PLENTY quick enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Marcusm wrote: »
    I didn’t suggest that Limerick was overrun with gangs but, like Dublin and other cities, it does have them. The OP’s car is a desirable high powered sleeper hatchback and therefore ideal as a quick getaway car. I stand by my statement. It would equally be a target for Dublin or border region gangs.

Hardly a good gateway car. Tiny, 2 door, **** all space in the back. Gangs much prefer BMWs for jobs.
    When I met my misses I was driving between Cork and Limerick for a year, now I live 3+ years in the city. So in total 4 years of experience here.
    Everyone said to me that is a super rough City. We even live not that far from South Hill. In 4 years nobody tried to bash my head in. People are lovely and I haven't seen big riots or shootings or stabbings. There are scumbags like in any bigger city, but it's not unique to Limerick.
    Funny things is lads from Cork still swear on how rough it is. Even with story where they went out for one night and one fella got punched in a face without any reason... Yeah.... I go out regularly with misses in city and non of us got punched. In fact people in pubs are very damn nice and polite.
    At this point Limerick got very nicely cleaned out and all scumbags from past are big cheeses now and focused on money laundering, so it's in their own interests to keep everything down and bring less attention. Thing is that all cities have these gangs, but Limericks reputation of the past does most damage.
    Feck, Mallow became waaaay more rough now. People who I would go out with just don't bother anymore. I am glad I got out of here and even more happy being in Limerick.

We have a 16 Seat Alhambra in the house. Came with 2 keys, now down to one. The one we have was misplaced at the weekend for a few hours, found in one of the kids toy boxes....

So I called Seat today to get a price for a new spare, and was quoted €290. Is there a cheaper solution or is it dealer only for the likes of this? Its a completely normal VAG key with three buttons and flip out blade.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd ring some local locksmiths to see what options they offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

290 is a good price for a genuine key to be fair

rex-x wrote: »
    290 is a rip off for a genuine key to be fair

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I don't know if Seat price them differently but the retail price for that key for a VW is just under €235+ coding so 290 is in the ballpark for a main dealer job.

You can get them independently from Keyfast and Autokey or the likes, still the guts of €200 from them though, there's no very cheap option bar getting a blank on ebay, getting someone to cut it and someone else to code it, but for the pain of that i'd sooner pay the €200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

FYP

Its alot of cash but compared to many marques its cheap and its a genuine key as opposed to paying 200+ to autokey for a spurious one. They are a pain to program too as they used to require a pin but now even the dealer cant get you that pin, it just gets sent silently from the VW servers when they code a key

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭blade1

We have a 16 Seat Alhambra in the house. Came with 2 keys, now down to one. The one we have was misplaced at the weekend for a few hours, found in one of the kids toy boxes....

So I called Seat today to get a price for a new spare, and was quoted €290. Is there a cheaper solution or is it dealer only for the likes of this? Its a completely normal VAG key with three buttons and flip out blade.

Thanks
    If you're worried about losing your only key,why not look into getting a Tile Bluetooth tracker.
    I don't have one so not sure how good they are.

blade1 wrote: »
    If you're worried about losing your only key,why not look into getting a Tile Bluetooth tracker.
    I don't have one so not sure how good they are.

Fantastic by all accounts. I have a tenant with an awful knack for losing keys, hasn't been an issue since I told them to buy a tile.

Yeah a fella in work was saying about those, probably a more cost effective solution. Cheers

Thanks
    Ring a local locksmith, they may be able to make a cheaper one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Waiting at lights, seen a face-lift Mondeo (late 2010 to 2015) with a 09 D plate on it. Defo something wrong there,vcouldn't be a reg that early? Car looked a bit off too, strange alloys on it. The blue film was still on the reg plates too....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Did you note the reg number?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭JustARandomGuy

I actually saw the same thing twice

Two days ago it was an E350 CDI, the 2014 model year but had an 09 plate. It was a bit kitted so I’m assuming the owner did the facelift himself.

A few months ago though I saw an E60 520i prefacelift on 08 plates. Quick reg search showed
    Touring instead of Saloon
    520d instead of 520i

Garda were notified immediately. Apparently they were scouting some estates. Don’t know if they got caught, never saw the car since.

Also, there used to be an 09 Volvo V50 floating around Kildare with an 04-07 front, but facelift rear. Guessing it was a cheap crash repair job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

I actually saw the same thing twice

Two days ago it was an E350 CDI, the 2014 model year but had an 09 plate. It was a bit kitted so I’m assuming the owner did the facelift himself.

A few months ago though I saw an E60 520i prefacelift on 08 plates. Quick reg search showed
    Touring instead of Saloon
    520d instead of 520i

Garda were notified immediately. Apparently they were scouting some estates. Don’t know if they got caught, never saw the car since.

Also, there used to be an 09 Volvo V50 floating around Kildare with an 04-07 front, but facelift rear. Guessing it was a cheap crash repair job.

Half tempted to import an RX8 R3 from the UK and cut the chassis-numbers and plates off me own '06 and weld them on....

It's not a clone. It's what aviation geeks call a data-plate rebuild.

Dartz wrote: »
    Half tempted to import an RX8 R3 from the UK and cut the chassis-numbers and plates off me own '06 and weld them on....

It's not a clone. It's what aviation geeks call a data-plate rebuild.

If you knew you'd never sell it and keep it for good it would be highly tempting. Purely hypothetically of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

colm_mcm wrote:
    Did you note the reg number?

No didn't get a chance. Usually I would remember that sort of stuff, the one time it probably is dodgy I miss it....

If you knew you'd never sell it and keep it for good it would be highly tempting. Purely hypothetically of course!

Kinda hard to find someone in Ireland willing to pay €2,350 a year on tax and keep up with the fuel and oil costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Kinda hard to find someone in Ireland willing to pay €2,350 a year on tax and keep up with the fuel and oil costs.
    I think the point is to put it on 06 plates and get the cheap tax ;)

ELM327 wrote: »
    I think the point is to put it on 06 plates and get the cheap tax ;)

The R3 was only selling from 2008 ;)

• Advertisement

and zero vrt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I know that, you know that.
    But most people would not. And it happens A LOT. Especially in vintage car circles where cars are often "Mercedes - OTHER" on the book.
    I concur I don't think he would get away with it (nor should he as it's illegal) but I share the pain re high taxation.

I think you're missing the point MM. Bring in a post 08 R3, and stick his old plates on it. No VRT, cheap tax, just an older plate. Also completely illegal

I think you're missing the point MM. Bring in a post 08 R3, and stick his old plates on it. No VRT, cheap tax, just an older plate. Also completely illegal

But there's no such thing as a pre 08 R3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

But there's no such thing as a pre 08 R3.

There's also no such thing as a 1979 LR discovery but here we are.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement