Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Congrats, I was waiting to see what the outcome would be. ;)

Will you still think about replacing it or will you drive it on for another year?

No this time I think it's done... tax is due at the end of the month, but I think I'll only tax for 3 months. Need to decide what I'm doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

No this time I think it's done... tax is due at the end of the month, but I think I'll only tax for 3 months. Need to decide what I'm doing.

At least you have time to make an informed decision. You need a what to buy thread pronto!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Anyone ever use this stuff. Looking to give the leather in my cars seats a going over as it’s starting to get on a bit age wise and I don’t want the leather to dry out and crack.

https://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=15551&langId=-1&categoryId=212473&productId=758291&storeId=11101

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

CIP4 wrote: »
    Anyone ever use this stuff. Looking to give the leather in my cars seats a going over as it’s starting to get on a bit age wise and I don’t want the leather to dry out and crack.

https://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=15551&langId=-1&categoryId=212473&productId=758291&storeId=11101

I use the wipes for Leather furniture. Best one I've found has beeswax in it. Only a few quid for a pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It should be very very difficult to cross thread an engine mount bolt I would have thought. Check the length of all bolts.

I didn't cross thread it. The inside wheel arch was more rusty than you would think but then again it is a 21 year old car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Forums are fantastic including this one! I had a small but annoying rattle on the driver's door on my car where the glass would rattle a bit on a rough surface...

I googled it earlier and it took me straight to a Lexus forum which included all the instructions to sort it out! Only took 15 minutes and now I'm back to silence...:D

With all the good weather see a good few cars going around with sunroofs open. Always thought there is something quite cool about a car with a sunroof. Never had one on a car but would like to get one at some point to see what they are like. Not sure if it’s a case that it would be a novelty for a while and then never be used. You don’t seem to see them that much on newer cars the Mk7 golf seemed to have them for a while on the HL spec you would see the odd one going around.

With all the good weather see a good few cars going around with sunroofs open. Always thought there is something quite cool about a car with a sunroof. Never had one on a car but would like to get one at some point to see what they are like. Not sure if it’s a case that it would be a novelty for a while and then never be used. You don’t seem to see them that much on newer cars the Mk7 golf seemed to have them for a while on the HL spec you would see the odd one going around.

I wish I had ohe too all my older cars back to 1998 had one up to my 01 Avensis but they are a expensive option new! My buddy has a new S5 with a Pano roof it's the dog's dangles!

Sunroof is a nice addition. Better if you need to get rid of the smell of farts fast than opening the window I find!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Not so nice when a bird **** drops onto you through the panoramic sunroof as happened to me yesterday!

Harcrid wrote: »
    Not so nice when a bird **** drops onto you through the panoramic sunroof as happened to me yesterday!

You need to do the lotto.. serious good luck from that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You need to drive faster...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

They're great until they leak. Then they're a bollicks

The bird or the sunroof?

bazz26 wrote: »
    The bird or the sunroof?

BOTH

• Advertisement

Something with sunroof, Auto and 2.0 petrol and I would be happy :pac:

Something with sunroof, Auto and 3.0 petrol and I would be happy :pac:

Meh....:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Sunroofs are great alright, but I really need to buy a cheap e46 or A4 cabriolet soon! Todays weather was great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

The only car iv had with a sunroof was the e30. Even though it was manual, if it wasn't raining I had it open, even in winter. Really liked it.

Have one in my current car and had one in my last car. Even during the winter months having the sun shade back makes the entire cabin feel brighter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Happy Easter everyone! :D

===================
    Something with sunroof, Auto and 2.0 petrol and I would be happy :pac:

From bangernomics thread:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-2-0i-es-coupe-only-33k-miles/21544350

Future classic I'd say. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

I did the front discs and pads on the jimny a week ago and I'm getting some squealing from the front drivers side, particularly when reversing slowly. It's occuring without touching the brakes, any idea lads? Jammed piston?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I never cared for a sunroof until I got the E46, my logic was why would I need a sunroof when I've got air conditioning?

Now I'm raging I bought one without a sunroof. If it's even a half decent day I'll drive with windows down, it's got an airmix function so you can make it send loads of hot air through the vents. This is great because I get to hear more of that lovely sounding naturally aspirated straight six:D.

Problem is it's way too noisy once you go above about 90 so that means windows up on main roads and motorways, and the airmix can't cope with all the air from the outside. A sunroof wouldn't have that problem, plus photos of cars with the roof tilted up makes them look better as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

All my cars for the last 18 years have had sunroofs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Only car with a sunroof I had lasted about a week :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Wailin wrote: »
    I did the front discs and pads on the jimny a week ago and I'm getting some squealing from the front drivers side, particularly when reversing slowly. It's occuring without touching the brakes, any idea lads? Jammed piston?

Have you driven it much at all? Have the pads had any chance to bed in? I found when I changed my pads/discs they were noisy at the start and calmed down after a few days of normal driving. I guess there's lots of possibilities here though.

Have you driven it much at all? Have the pads had any chance to bed in? I found when I changed my pads/discs they were noisy at the start and calmed down after a few days of normal driving. I guess there's lots of possibilities here though.

That happened me also. Front right brake was squealing a bit but went by itself after a while. Though it took more than a few days. Didn't bother me though so wasn't really watching it all I know is it doesn't do it any more.

I took off the wheels and removed the caliper today to have a look and the pads are definitely rubbing off the rotor when i spin it, on the drivers side. Not happening on the passenger side. I might try a different brand of pad as they may not be a good fit and I did struggle to get them in on that side, where they should just slot in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

I took off the wheels and removed the caliper today to have a look and the pads are definitely rubbing off the rotor when i spin it, on the drivers side. Not happening on the passenger side. I might try a different brand of pad as they may not be a good fit and I did struggle to get them in on that side, where they should just slot in.

Pads very rarely just slot in, you either need to file away the corrosion on the carrier or grind the pad a bit but they should move freely once fitted

Dope this myself earlier. It's like a new car since especially with this heat.

57154688_2176856982394728_1886113980137603072_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=b4e3db4c47529407fc6c35efdf067448&oe=5D31FB34

• Advertisement

My latest mad motoring idea if anyone wants to throw in a suggestion

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057974847

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

To be fair a B9 A4 is a nice car.

But the other option is to look carefully at what the current A4 (as a trade in or a sale) + 10 k gets you as a daily driver.

Is a Golf R far off that now?????.

Old diesel wrote: »
    To be fair a B9 A4 is a nice car.

But the other option is to look carefully at what the current A4 (as a trade in or a sale) + 10 k gets you as a daily driver.

Is a Golf R far off that now?????.

Had been initially considering that but there are very few new performance petrols out there. Golf GTI/R would be the stand out ones but I just don’t know if I like them enough to actually buy one at that kind of money.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057727020

Have a read. My budget was a third of yours but how and ever. I'd be thinking of something you can get classic insurance. Have never regretted it but be prepared, an older car eats money and you'll never be finished spending on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057727020

Have a read. My budget was a third of yours but how and ever. I'd be thinking of something you can get classic insurance. Have never regretted it but be prepared, an older car eats money and you'll never be finished spending on it.

There are some reliable older cars that unless your trying to restore it can be cheap to run and fun to drive. If you can do some maintainance and part swapoing yourself its not so bad. Getting one that has been well minded is the tricky bit.

I think you should branch out a bit from hatches and aidi. Get something RWD like an mx5.

Interslice wrote: »
    There are some reliable older cars that unless your trying to restore it can be cheap to run and fun to drive. If you can do some maintainance and part swapoing yourself its not so bad. Getting one that has been well minded is the tricky bit.

It has been reliable, it's mainly preventative and ongoing maintenance. This week I spent €170 on new seals for the windows as the old ones have cracked and are perishing. I spent a grand this time last year on new brake lines, a new cooling system, tyres and so on. The only thing that HAD to be replaced were the brake lines as they were rusted but run behind the subframe and petrol tank so that was hours in labour. I'll be fitting a new set of bumpers this month as the old ones are tatty but still fine as well as an oil service and new subframe bushings. Most things I am doing are not NEEDED but it is very hard to to be on a constant quest to improve, renew and tidy up which costs a nice bit of dosh. I'm not bothered as I don't go out much anymore and am happy as anything I spend on it is my pocket money, not the houses or my savings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Interslice wrote: »

Thing with older BMWs is if you want to keep them in good nick there's constant spending needed. If you choose the right engine and gearbox combination (six cylinders minimum, and manual gearbox - although depending on model the auto can be very robust as well but some are very iffy) they're very solid mechanically. They're surprisingly good on fuel for what they are and I got mine insured for €715 last year despite it being a 2003 car with a 2.5 litre engine. If you pay for the 12 months in one go (as I do) then tax is only €90 a month, and I do about 8,000 miles a year, so I possibly spend €15 a month more on petrol than say someone driving a 1.8 litre four cylinder doing the same mileage. So to me, €50 a month extra to have a naturally aspirated straight six and rear wheel drive over some smaller engined blandmobile is the bargain of the century!

Problem is, the rubbers BMW use don't last at all, and the suspension can't really handle Irish roads that well at all. On a 3 series, common suspension problems for both the E36 and E46 include ball joints, rear trailing arm bushes, drop links, anti roll bar bushes, as well as track rods and track rod ends. Plus a bit of rust as well. If you want them to be at their best, you'll be changing rubber seals and diff bushes as well. It's all these kind of things that make them expensive to run really.

In addition, because you'll enjoy driving the thing so much you'll grow to love the car and want to look after it even more. That means you'll want to get it detailed and do some other upgrades which won't make it any more reliable but will make it a more enjoyable car to own and drive. I mean, I got the gearbox oil changed in mine recently and it made a noticeable difference to the shift quality, even my mechanic was surprised at how much slicker the box is now (and it's not as if it was imprecise or notchy beforehand). Didn't need it at all (and if it was another car, I definitely wouldn't have bothered) but I want it to drive as best it possibly can and I hope if I ever decided to sell it some day, an enthusiast would appreciate the work I've had done on mine to keep it in good shape.

Summer project has arrived at my back door!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I can't find a better thread for this question so I'll post it here. I will be removing my N-Plates next week and expect 2 sticky square marks on my windows, does anyone know the best way to get those marks off? Would it be a soap and warm water job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Autecher wrote: »
    I can't find a better thread for this question so I'll post it here. I will be removing my N-Plates next week and expect 2 sticky square marks on my windows, does anyone know the best way to get those marks off? Would it be a soap and warm water job?

Soap and warm water, if not a dab of petrol on a rag could do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Soap and warm water, if not a dab of petrol on a rag could do it.
    Thank you for that, I'll give them a go.

Planning on doing a front and rear diff oil change on my ol jimny and said I'd check the filler plug first before i open the drain plug. Lucky i did, I can't get it open, either of them. I've been spraying them with penetrating oil the last few days but doesn't seem to be helping. Heating the area would probably be the answer i get but i don't have access to a flamethrower :D

I did see a video where a jack is wedged up under the wrench and then it's jacked up, popping the filler plug. I'm a bit weary of this as I don't want to shear or cross thread, or even snap the wrench. Any ideas?

Need new front tyres for the A4 have the option of Bridgestone Potenzas S001 or Eagle F1s AS3 for the same price which is the better tyre to go for ?

Eagles all the way. Stay away from the potenzas they are brutal from my experience in damp conditions.

• Advertisement

Planning on doing a front and rear diff oil change on my ol jimny and said I'd check the filler plug first before i open the drain plug. Lucky i did, I can't get it open, either of them. I've been spraying them with penetrating oil the last few days but doesn't seem to be helping. Heating the area would probably be the answer i get but i don't have access to a flamethrower :D

I did see a video where a jack is wedged up under the wrench and then it's jacked up, popping the filler plug. I'm a bit weary of this as I don't want to shear or cross thread, or even snap the wrench. Any ideas?

Your right about not wanting to try that with the jack as what you said will most likely happen. Heat is the only reasonable option.

Yeah I thought so. There are some cheap blow torches available I'll have to get one I guess.

Yeah I thought so. There are some cheap blow torches available I'll have to get one I guess.

Best 20 quid you can spend if your working on older stuff.

Where in the country are you Wailin?

I'm in Dublin JBJ. Ah I'll pick up one online they're not too expensive.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement