Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Passed nct this morning

29 years old , owned it 14 of those years

Delighted

When I turned up, realized at counter I was a week early, very fortunate as the woman let me take the test regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭job seeker

week early, very fortunate as the woman let me take the test regardless

They are good like that! Sometimes you can go in and chance your arm knowing well that you are a number of days or a week early. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Disaster seems to be everywhere I go recently.
    I was in the second car back from this happening.

I heard after armed guards turned up.
    https://twitter.com/CorkSafetyAlert/status/1127204701928337409?s=09

Screenshot-20190511-180503.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭ofcork

Are Mercedes selling both the cla and an a class saloon now or are they the same car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

CLA is smaller and cheaper than the c class.
    CLA competes with Audi A3, C Class with Audi A4

But there seems to be an a class saloon now too which is very alike the cla.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

job seeker wrote: »
    They are good like that! Sometimes you can go in and chance your arm knowing well that you are a number of days or a week early. ;)

When the woman said the car isn’t on the list and I checked my phone message , realized it was next sat and said ‘oh well’ and went to the car

Sat in car for a few minutes and thought may as well ask , wasn’t expecting anything as they were filling up fast

She said, yes no problem

Was delighted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

ofcork wrote: »

They're doing that as well as far as I know. That's more a rival for the A3 saloon (and 1 series saloon in the case of China). The CLA will be a rival for the 2 series Gran Coupé (whenever it appears) and is somewhere between the A and C-class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The CLA is a 4 door coupe version of the A Class in the same sense that the bigger CLS is a 4 door coupe version of the E Class. The soon to be launched A Class saloon will be a traditional small saloon to compete against the Audi A3 saloon. The next BMW 1 Series will have a saloon version too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I miss the times when each manufacturer made about 4 cars in their entire range. Each with two trim levels, at least I could half keep up then.

Looking at pics of the cla and a class saloon they are very similar looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Does anyone know what an average cost would be to tow 2 cars from Belfast to Cork? I have AA membership but I don’t know if they will do it.

ofcork wrote: »

Sorry I misread your post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Does anyone know what an average cost would be to tow 2 cars from Belfast to Cork? I have AA membership but I don’t know if they will do it.

You'd be lucky to get away with €800 for 2 x recovery Belfast to Cork.

You hardly have 2 x cars broken down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Big Nasty wrote: »
    You'd be lucky to get away with €800 for 2 x recovery Belfast to Cork.

You hardly have 2 x cars broken down?

Been offered 2 cars on the cheap that are rare nowadays. I doubt the AA will tow them for me. The more i look at it the costs are stacking up and increasingly prohibitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Been offered 2 cars on the cheap that are rare nowadays. I doubt the AA will tow them for me. The more i look at it the costs are stacking up and increasingly prohibitive.

That's a different gig. It's not recovery. €400 should do it. AA won't transport a couple of cars you bought as it's not a breakdown.

Anyone running the eagle f1 asymmetric 5s?
    Just ordered 4,
    will be interested to see how they are compared to the F1 Assy 3s im on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

And the usual roulette/vaseline prep begins..
    "Sorry, we are unable to provide you with a quote

Based on the information you have provided, we cannot provide a quote at this time. Factors which influence our ability to provide a quote may include driving history or certain aspects of the vehicle.

We can send you a letter which you can refer to the Declined Cases Committee of the Irish Insurance Federation. Please contact us with your name, date of birth and address at customer.services@libertyinsurance.ie to request this letter."

As for my renewal with current provider, €700 last year to €1800 this year. Although they are offering fully comp third party extension!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It's very frustrating alright.

What's the car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I was very pleasantly surprised. Carole Nash on the 323i were €240 fully comp and no restrictions eg not able to commute. They will also refund any difference if I decide to declare it off the road and garage it. Waiting to see what Autoline come back with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I was very pleasantly surprised. Carole Nash on the 323i were €240 fully comp and no restrictions eg not able to commute. They will also refund any difference if I decide to declare it off the road and garage it. Waiting to see what Autoline come back with.

I think id take the 240 and run tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

ELM327 wrote: »
    As for my renewal with current provider, €700 last year to €1800 this year. Although they are offering fully comp third party extension!!

That increase can't be correct. Did you make a claim, penalty points, etc?

My insurance last year was €850 and jumped to €1100 with the same provider this year. After a phone call they brought it back to €870.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I've been asked lately if the car will be used for commuting to work. I'd love to know why someone would insure a car and not use it to commute to work.

Also, the idea of "commute" to most people is going from say Kildare to Dublin for work. Do you really "commute" to work if you live in the same town as your workplace?

The trip from home to work is known as the work commute....... it can be a 100 yard walk or a 50 miles drive.

Some folk who cycle to work or use public transport have a car insured too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

What happens if your car is your office?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've been asked lately if the car will be used for commuting to work. I'd love to know why someone would insure a car and not use it to commute to work.

Also, the idea of "commute" to most people is going from say Kildare to Dublin for work. Do you really "commute" to work if you live in the same town as your workplace?

I drove to my work for the first time in 5 years about 3 weeks ago...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I drove to my work for the first time in 5 years about 3 weeks ago...

You'd wonder if you said "no you don't use the car to commute" and if like yourself you didn't in 5 years but the one time you needed to use the car instead of cycling and something happened, what would be the outcome.

You could very easily say "no, I was on my way to the shops" couldn't you?

ba_barabus wrote: »

Then you presumably don't have an actual place of work (like sales reps, service engineers etc etc etc) and that's all discussed/declared when arranging insurance.
    You'd wonder if you said "no you don't use the car to commute" and if like yourself you didn't in 5 years but the one time you needed to use the car instead of cycling and something happened, what would be the outcome.

You could very easily say "no, I was on my way to the shops" couldn't you?

So a commute is the regular journey from home to work and back again. If you don't use the car for the commute the occasional trip from home to work and back again in the car would be no problem.

Wailin wrote: »
    That increase can't be correct. Did you make a claim, penalty points, etc?

My insurance last year was €850 and jumped to €1100 with the same provider this year. After a phone call they brought it back to €870.

No claims or points, only difference is last year was on 2017 Ioniq EV, this year on e60 535d

It's very frustrating alright.

What's the car?
    as above, e60 535d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

That's a bit of a step up in car to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Old diesel

ba_barabus wrote: »

Then you'd need cover for business driving.

Because realistically the car being your office is because you are on the road a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

ELM327 wrote: »
    No claims or points, only difference is last year was on 2017 Ioniq EV, this year on e60 535d

as above, e60 535d

That's sickening in fairness. My own is an F10 535d but I'm guessing yours is over ten years old which seems to be an excuse for a lot of insurance companies to hike up the premium.

Wailin wrote: »
    That's sickening in fairness. My own is an F10 535d but I'm guessing yours is over ten years old which seems to be an excuse for a lot of insurance companies to hike up the premium.
    Yeah, 2005.
    It's a pain, part of me wants to sell the 535d and buy a crap ecobox.
    Fook paying nearly €2k to robbing monopoly barstewards every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭selectamatic

When I was checking quotes on e60's with cornmarket a few months ago I could get very reasonable quotes on any 525d 530d 525i and 530i but I couldn't get an online quote on a 535d.

I didn't look into it any further but its interesting all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Insurance is beyond a joke. Im paying 1100 a year now on a 2002 1.6 avensis. Catching up on the 1600 a year i was paying 12 years ago on a Lancer at 21 on a provisional. Never claimed off anyone or had a claim against me. Thought id be down to 600 at this stage in life.

VVT-i tho

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Was driving in Mayo at the weekend. There was a funeral on (I think), and someone had put Garda Checkpoint signs out on the road (an N road), and had lads standing about in high vis jackets. Not an actual Guard to be seen about the place.

Surprised you can get away with that sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I paid €886 on my 530d last year and while it's not due for another few months I did a few online quotes recently to get an idea what I'll be paying this year. It ain't getting any cheaper for sure, cheapest so far is the crowd I'm currently with and they are coming in around the same as last year. I've also got some ridiculous quotes of double that. At 45 I thought I was beyond stupid insurance quotes but apparently not in good old Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭Damien360

Interslice wrote: »
    Insurance is beyond a joke. Im paying 1100 a year now on a 2002 1.6 avensis. Catching up on the 1600 a year i was paying 12 years ago on a Lancer at 21 on a provisional. Never claimed off anyone or had a claim against me. Thought id be down to 600 at this stage in life.

Madness. This is exactly why we had to get rid of a perfectly good 07 avensis 1.6 last year. Between tax and insurance it was starting to look silly. Never claimed for anything.

This year's quotes are about 10% higher than last year. I got them down to 500 last year and will be trying to get there again this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

a 1998 audi TDI avant was more expensive for me to insure than my S3 and twice as expensive to insure as my Golf R.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

awec wrote: »
    Was driving in Mayo at the weekend. There was a funeral on (I think), and someone had put Garda Checkpoint signs out on the road (an N road), and had lads standing about in high vis jackets. Not an actual Guard to be seen about the place.

Surprised you can get away with that sort of thing.

Common enough around Tullamore as well, judging by the few I've seen.
    Guard in the family or a friend maybe.

On the insurance talk, mine has been increasing every year for the past 5 years, it's ridiculous. No claims, points etc, and a car 10 years newer now as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Friend of mine has a 06 punto full licence and decent no claims

Paying 1388 in Dublin

Have him my address to get a quote for a laugh in rural Wicklow

460 Euro all in....

bazz26 wrote: »
    I paid €886 on my 530d last year and while it's not due for another few months I did a few online quotes recently to get an idea what I'll be paying this year. It ain't getting any cheaper for sure, cheapest so far is the crowd I'm currently with and they are coming in around the same as last year. I've also got some ridiculous quotes of double that. At 45 I thought I was beyond stupid insurance quotes but apparently not in good old Ireland.

Changing providers used to be a good way to get a few hundred off. Now it seems the opposite. They rejected the case to lower payouts for minor injuries, whiplash, so its only going to keep going up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

My insurance last year was €850 thought that was the cheapest I would ever see then this years renewal came in at €680 with Aviva (couldn’t believe it) which was cheapest I could find so rang them to renew and just as I was getting ready to pay the girl said you hardly have health insurance with Irish life, which I do have, she said oh you get 5% extra off for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

bazz26 wrote: »

Just checked mine, €844 on the 330d. I thought it was less than that. Feckin expensive enough considering clean licence, full NCB etc

• Advertisement

tossy wrote: »
    a 1998 audi TDI avant was more expensive for me to insure than my S3 and twice as expensive to insure as my Golf R.

The only explanation i have gotten for this older car high insurance craic is that say we both buy a car ,15 to 20 years old for 600 quid and agree to have a crash. Both cars are written off so we get a grand each, replace our bumpers for 50 quid in a scrapper. Off to the solicitor then for a further 20 grand for the sore neck. Some sort of common fraud to that effect anyway. Nothing to do with new cars being safer as many suggest.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    VVT-i tho

True. An absolute weapon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Who needs high lift cams when you can advance and retard the timing.

vvt-i-kicked-in-539c0d948369b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Interslice wrote: »
    The only explanation i have gotten for this older car high insurance craic is that say we both buy a car ,15 to 20 years old for 600 quid and agree to have a crash. Both cars are written off so we get a grand each, replace our bumpers for 50 quid in a scrapper. Off to the solicitor then for a further 20 grand for the sore neck. Some sort of common fraud to that effect anyway. Nothing to do with new cars being safer as many suggest.

That actually makes sense, about 17 years ago i ran into the back of a guy in cork, he was driving an old rover 500, his car was wrote off and they offered him 500 euro for it - he was driving along minding his own business and he got a smack from young idiot me and all he got was a cheque for 500 euro, how is he meant to get to work or get the kids to school, sure enough a solicitors letter arrived and he ended up getting 10k, i don't really blame him but the system that allows it to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Quick one lads - not sure it warrants a thread of its own.

Someone I know is looking for an automatic runabout for ~€2-3k
    I've no experience of automatics beyond a few newer Mercs I've driven.

Are there any recommendations or particular makes/models that should be avoided?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement