Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    Quick one lads - not sure it warrants a thread of its own.

Someone I know is looking for an automatic runabout for ~€2-3k
    I've no experience of automatics beyond a few newer Mercs I've driven.

Are there any recommendations or particular makes/models that should be avoided?

Nice A6 for sale in bangeromics section....

2007 diesel and auto and looks quite well ohvand has NCT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

This came up as a memory on my FB. This time 6 years ago turbo number 2 was replaced in my 335i. The first drive after this was done by Daltons was a great experience. The first turbo was replaced a good while before and I was hoping to get away with just that but it turned out the second one needed replacing also.

46930627475_77007149c8_c.jpg

B00MSTICK wrote: »

Are there any recommendations or particular makes/models that should be avoided?

Audi multitronic IMO :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

ELM327 wrote: »
    No claims or points, only difference is last year was on 2017 Ioniq EV, this year on e60 535d

as above, e60 535d

I have an E60 525i and one way I found to decrease the insurance quote was to increase the value of the car.

Originally had it valued a €4k but when I increased the value to €6k, the quote dropped by €100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This worth a watch. Jay Leno and the cheif designer of the 2005 ford gt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Looks like there's an mx5 owners club making its way down the wild Atlantic way. Passed a decent group of them this morning, think they were Dutch. The newest model looks great, all with the roof down and sun out.

Good and all as the MX5 looks I still prefer its sister the Fiat 124.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I agree that the Fiat looks better, but the Mazda has the advantage of still having naturally aspirated engines;)! On a car like that, I'd want an engine that needs to be revved - provided the engine wants to be revved and makes a good exhaust note when you do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Good and all as the MX5 looks I still prefer its sister the Fiat 124.

The 2.0 coupe style mx5 would be for me. When Beast becomes 18 and has her own car or gets a boyfriend/girlfriend with a car, then I am going to have a proper middle life crisis and get myself proper roadster with 2 seats only. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Renewed my insurance last Friday, dropped from around 1800 to 899, now that was with a lot of shopping around. I was eager to get third party extention, so that brought it up to 1050. Still I got a quote under 1000 for the first time ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Renewed my insurance last Friday, dropped from around 1800 to 899, now that was with a lot of shopping around. I was eager to get third party extention, so that brought it up to 1050. Still I got a quote under 1000 for the first time ever!

Did you make the jump to Cornmarket? It was only when I hit about 27 that they began to be way cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

I managed to get €7 off my insurance renewal. Down to €570 fully comp for the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Renewed my license today. It was outta date since before last Christmas :eek: Surprisingly efficient and painless process actually, considering I lived in my Ma & Da’s gaff when I got the last one, just showed them the insurance cert and my old license and on ya go son. Didn’t even book an appointment cos there were none available on the website, and I was still out within 20 mins.

Did you make the jump to Cornmarket? It was only when I hit about 27 that they began to be way cheaper.

No I went with Aviva, through a broker. Cornmarket were fairly competitive though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Is that on the Mondeo or golf do you have many years NCB ?

CIP4 wrote:
    Is that on the Mondeo or golf do you have many years NCB ?

Golf, 1 year actually!

Golf, 1 year actually!

Ah right thinking it was a bit high assuming you’d have loads of NCB. Not bad for 1 year.

CIP4 wrote:
    Ah right thinking it was a bit high assuming you’d have loads of NCB. Not bad for 1 year.

Have a good bit of named experience, which they took into consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Anyone have problems with sunstrips and the nct in recent times? my car is due soon, i got a sunstrip fitted the day after it passed the nct last year, when the sun visors are down the strip is in line with them except on the corners very slightly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

Another 50 Litre in.

Another 250km on the odometer.

Another Marshall Island drowns.

Spend thirty seconds fiddling in the boot while it's running, and smell like raw petrol for the rest of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Dartz wrote: »
    Another 50 Litre in.

Spend thirty seconds fiddling in the boot while it's running, and smell like raw petrol for the rest of the day.

You hardly get 250km to 50 litres?

That's bad, real bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Dartz wrote: »
    Another 50 Litre in.

15 mpg? F1 cars get about 6!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

20l/100km

Normal for the morning commute/city traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

Anyone have problems with sunstrips and the nct in recent times? my car is due soon, i got a sunstrip fitted the day after it passed the nct last year, when the sun visors are down the strip is in line with them except on the corners very slightly

I have been told that if the wipers don't cross it, it'll pass. I can't tell you how true that is though! I personally would just take it off and put it back on after, as I could see different testers having their own opinion on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

You hardly get 250km to 50 litres?

That's bad, real bad.

About right for an RX-8 in traffic. I don't get much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

RX8s are notorious for heavy fuel consumption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's nice to be getting over 50 mpg again..
    picked up this last night

2.0 170bhp elegance spec so heated seats, leather, nav, dsg etc
    MzdjNmQ0Mzc1ZjA2M2U5YjU2ZWNiMWI4NzllMTg0ZTQKh63OtlKxyTQ9cY7lOht8aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjQyNjg4OTl8fHx8fHwzMDB4MjI1fHx8fHw=.jpeg

You'll see my 535d on donedeal in the next few days I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

There is a line at the top of the windscreen where you can't go below this point you will see it at the edge close to the rubbers....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Person said they were coming to view my car last evening. Waited around at home for their call, never arrived. Texted to see what the story was, no reply. ****ing time wasters and here was me excitedly looking at new cars to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

It's nice to be getting over 50 mpg again..
    picked up this last night

2.0 170bhp elegance spec so heated seats, leather, nav, dsg etc

You'll see my 535d on donedeal in the next few days I think
    Nice yoke, good to see more Superbs popping up here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Kilboor wrote: »
    Person said they were coming to view my car last evening. Waited around at home for their call, never arrived. Texted to see what the story was, no reply. ****ing time wasters and here was me excitedly looking at new cars to buy.
    It was the opposite for me, was sitting waiting nearly half an hour for the seller to come up!

It was the opposite for me, was sitting waiting nearly half an hour for the seller to come up!

Should be a feedback system on Donedeal...

Should be a feedback system on Donedeal...

I don't agree. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

I don't agree. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

Think so? I'm not a big fan of adverts, perhaps a thorough rating system or at least proper verification of user profiles? Even a tick that confirms seller has given genuine address verification and ID maybe.

Think so? I'm not a big fan of adverts, perhaps a thorough rating system or at least proper verification of user profiles? Even a tick that confirms seller has given genuine address verification and ID maybe.

I understand where you're coming from but to leave it open for someone to review as they want could lead to them saying something like "wouldn't sell for 10k lower than asking price...waste of time" etc. You know the way a lot of people are.

I understand where you're coming from but to leave it open for someone to review as they want could lead to them saying something like "wouldn't sell for 10k lower than asking price...waste of time" etc. You know the way a lot of people are.

Agree 100%, I wish there was a way to verify reviews or something.

I've been selling successfully on Donedeal for a good few years now and have had nothing but positive feedback. Trust is of course the main issue Donedeal face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Worth looking at some of what happens on TripAdvisor when a manager calls out a guest.

Some lads and ladies will give it hard and big about how this and that was wrong.

And then the manager comes along and points to holes in the story. And how big man on Trip advisor didn't even have the courtesy to tell the hotel of the issues when they were there.

I still look at trip advisor as I think decent places still get reasonable ratings.

But it's far from ideal if you are a hotel who gets a malicious review and shows the danger of feedback on done deal.

For the private seller - an unfair review might be the only feedback they have.

At least with a hotel - if it's a decent place then the good reviews should outweigh some of the nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

This seems like a great idea.
    https://i.imgur.com/5rb1zsZ.mp4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Hal1 wrote: »
    This seems like a great idea.
    https://i.imgur.com/5rb1zsZ.mp4

Didn't really clean them much from my eye anyway.

You'd be better off power washing them on a hot day and let them air dry in the sun.

I have a 3 series with the sport plus pack. This means it gets the larger Brembo brakes upfront with 370mm discs. One of my favourite parts of the car, not that I notice any difference in their performance, I just like they way they fill the wheels. They developed a slight vibration under light braking about 6 months so I replaced the discs and pads. It came back after a while and after plenty of research I read that wheels that have been refurbed can cause an issue if the mating surface with the hub isn't right. Sure enough there was some overspray on mine, so I had the discs skimmed and I sorted the wheels. New vibration starting again now ffs. The disc are floating and the pads are meant to slide on a pair of guide pins. Took these out tonight and they were completely covered in shít where the pad is meant to slide on them. Going now to order and new set of pins and retaining clips online, so shouldn't be too expensive but these feckin brakes have been a complete pain in the hole so far...

IMG-20190516-201401.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

This is a problem will all the BMW brakes of that era that use aluminium bells with steel discs, they vibrate for fun.

Best fix is new OE discs ensuring a spotless and true hub mounting face (replace hub if rusty/pitted),
    new OE pads and a good clean wheel mating surface with bolts torqued to spec.

Not cheap though mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Did you ever do the automatic gearbox oil change afterwards vintage? If not, are you still planning to and will you do it yourself?

Love this mad little yoke! The best way to describe it, for me anyway, is raw. No creature comforts, noisy and slightly unpredictable driving habits. Going in for nct tomorrow, even though it's not due until July. Just giving myself plenty of time to get any issues sorted if it fails. Did all i could with it myself, brake discs and pads, oil changes all round, filters, lights, replaced horn, screen washer pump etc. My biggest fear is emissions so I've had diptane in the fuel the last few weeks to lower it (hopefully). So fingers crossed....

47075548614_9ce790b12d_c.jpg

Gave it a good clean too :D

Wailin wrote: »
    Did you ever do the automatic gearbox oil change afterwards vintage? If not, are you still planning to and will you do it yourself?

I didn't no. My BM indie said if the box isn't giving any issues he would leave it well alone in the mean time. Between work and other commitments it has fallen down the list just.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I was told the same by two different people in the know.

On a similar note does anyone have a rough idea how much rear pads and discs would cost including fitting on an F10 530d? Main dealer wants a shade over 500 notes. I rang a BMW indy but they didn't bother ringing me back with a price yet.

Is that including BMW first bazz? Pretty hefty all the same but not surprising. Are the discs worn much? I have a small lip on mine, less than a mm, rear pads need changing soon but I'll leave the discs.

Yeah, that's the bmwservice.ie price minus the 20% BMW first discount.

Haven't had the wheels off so not sure about whether the discs need replacing also but there is a squeal under frequent braking now so it could be just the pad wear indicator or worse, idrive says the rear pads need changing in another 4k km but I wouldn't be one to wait until it goes down to 0. Just pricing worst case and you know that the main dealer will follow the BMW recommendation of changing the discs if there is the slightest of lip on them. My last F10 was good enough on brakes, never had to replace the discs but the 530d is obviously a heavier car again. I'm trying to avoid main dealer for this type of work if I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Had just the rear pads done on her 520d lately and it was about 170 at an Indy with BMW parts. Did it on a Saturday so that swung it really. Think they were about 220 way with BMW first. Depending on the price of the discs it might be handy to get a loaner car and all that with work.

Bazz what kind of mileage is on it ? Assuming these are the first set of rear pads it’s needed.

• Advertisement

2015 car with just over 60,000 miles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement