Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Jimny failed nct on headlights....not a bad outcome in fairness. I was prepared for worse. I'm thinking they may have failed because I used Meguiars 2 stage headlight polish last week. Stage 2 puts a coating on the headlights but I could have used too much and it looked a bit foggy.

I bought autoglym headlight kit and cleaned them up again earlier and they look far better, like new. I'll drop it into a garage in the meantime to check alignment. Also got advisory on tyres which are 6 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

I am fairly easy going in general in life. But this thing of people driving around and blowing their horns for the slightest reason. Fair enough there are reasons for it if a person is sitting at a green light for ages and just doesn’t see it a quick beep can be appropriate.

But like for example today I was pulling out on a fairly blind junction it’s well known as being dodgy enough I pulled out and this guy comes up behind me after coming around the corner he had to very slightly slow down as I wasn’t fully upto speed like maybe 10kmh far from standing on the brakes and he blows me out of it some young lad with N plates to make it worse. Loads of other situations where the slightest thing happens and the person is straight on the horn.

I am not a very confrontational person at all but it really pisses me off and genuinely makes me want to stop the car and get out and fcuk them out of it to ensure they won’t be so quick to beep it the next time. People who do it to L- Drivers are even bigger d!ckheads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

People are dicks. Luckily a small minority. We tend to focus on them though like today on the m50 I traveled northbound at 3pm from tallaght to blanch. Seen 3 dicks and Im thinking to myself people are dicks especially dubs but im also ignoring the 150 other folk that were just tipping along and being sound about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

CIP4 wrote: »
    I am fairly easy going in general in life. But this thing of people driving around and blowing their horns for the slightest reason. Fair enough there are reasons for it if a person is sitting at a green light for ages and just doesn’t see it a quick beep can be appropriate.

But like for example today I was pulling out on a fairly blind junction it’s well known as being dodgy enough I pulled out and this guy comes up behind me after coming around the corner he had to very slightly slow down as I wasn’t fully upto speed like maybe 10kmh far from standing on the brakes and he blows me out of it some young lad with N plates to make it worse. Loads of other situations where the slightest thing happens and the person is straight on the horn.

I am not a very confrontational person at all but it really pisses me off and genuinely makes me want to stop the car and get out and fcuk them out of it to ensure they won’t be so quick to beep it the next time. People who do it to L- Drivers are even bigger d!ckheads.

Cip4. You are getting older, wiser and growing hair where hair never grew before ;-). Wait till it gets worse and you are like I use to be with it when the music was the sh1,t but now that's not the Sh1t and something u don't get is the Sh1t...

Fecking teenagers

Not wise..... You'll do it to the wrong person someday

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »

Feeling like doing it and actually doing it are two different things :pac: To be fair if I had a fit of road rage at a person I wouldn't be much better than the person that blew the horn in the first place.

General Question a new model G20 320i are they all 2.0 petrols as there is one advertised with a 1.5 petrol engine but thought only the 316 318i were 1.5. This has a 320i badge on the back so is a 320i. Could it be a mistake on the advert ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Feeling like doing it and actually doing it are two different things :pac: To be fair if I had a fit of road rage at a person I wouldn't be much better than the person that blew the horn in the first place.

General Question a new model G20 320i are they all 2.0 petrols as there is one advertised with a 1.5 petrol engine but thought only the 316 318i were 1.5. This has a 320i badge on the back so is a 320i. Could it be a mistake on the advert ?

It’s misadvertised, it’s actually 2.0

Registration 191D35668
    Make BMW
    Model 320
    Description I SPORT 3SSA 4DR AUTO G20
    Engine Capacity 1998

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

316i was 1.5. 320i, 330e and 330i are all 2.0. There is no 316i or 318i in the current G20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Similarly someone beeping and honking at someone like that will do it to the wrong person some day..

Similarly someone beeping and honking at someone like that will do it to the wrong person some day..

I've been beeped at trying to get into my drive or when I was teaching the sisters and L plates on...

I got out and pointed out that they were learning and beeping only made it much worse and on the getting into house they sheepishly have a little sorry wave.....

• Advertisement

Yeah but if they're in a locked car they are somewhat more secure then some loola after getting out of their car to throw a few fncks at some randomers. Should the wrong person be encountered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Robbed from bad parking thread but no chat allowed there so brought it here.

Three of them not parking right. Madness.

20190513-150701.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

To be fair the Saab is doing nothing wrong and is probably just trying to door dings to a minimum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

I agree, parking spaces have not grown to accommodate the size of modern cars. If you want to avoid door dings, sometimes you just have to park like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

OSI wrote: »
    Came across a bit of ****ty parking myself:

4220242992.jpeg

Then I noticed the brake discs and I can only assume it's parked like that because they had to arrive Dukes of Hazard style:

798736167.jpeg

2 child seats in the back of course :rolleyes:

"But it ONLY got NCTd 12 months ago - how am I to know the NCT only means the car passed a test on ONE day".

"I don't get paid until Thursday - there's no way I can take the car off the road - i am entitled - ENTITLED to get to work".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Merc is NCTd until July 2019 which reinforces the point that the NCT is NOT a replacement for regular maintenance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

I think the discs look worse than they are, they only have the wavy look because they are cross drilled. They all go like that after 10k or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

When you're thinking of changing the car and go search done deal and your old car shows up !!!!

If anyone is looking at an 07D santa Fe , black and auto with cream leather , avoid like the plague !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Speaking of, I'm feeling very volvo-ey again, anyone any recommendations for a nice automatic Volvo , prefer bigger than an S60 and hopefully 08 or newer . Would consider XC70 and XC90 , S80, V70. Slightly barge territory....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I looked at an 2015 XC60 last summer and was quite impressed. Didn't purchase as I was 50/50 on whether I was moving away or not but if I wasn't it was a strong contender especially considering I drove a 142 S80 on the same day and I rathered the XC60.

I looked at an 2015 XC60 last summer and was quite impressed. Didn't purchase as I was 50/50 on whether I was moving away or not but if I wasn't it was a strong contender especially considering I drove a 142 S80 on the same day and I rathered the XC60.

I'm not talking that fancy sadly. More like the 2009 era !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-xc60-2011-r-design-163bhp/21902095

There is a few older versions but tax is €1200 a year. Feck that..

When you're thinking of changing the car and go search done deal and your old car shows up !!!!

If anyone is looking at an 07D santa Fe , black and auto with cream leather , avoid like the plague !

What did you do to it....

What did you do to it....

I did Nothing, it was a ball of ****e, smokey as **** and had mould in it. Bad on fuel, gearbox wasn't great and it was only 2wd

One front wheel and one rear wheel worked.

Think it had an oil leak too.

Anyway.... Avoid.... I had it in a bog actually ....

https://ibb.co/wcXg0H1
    https://ibb.co/ZT9wPMS
    https://ibb.co/KbtPRNS

and it was only 2wd

One front wheel and one rear wheel worked.

Isn't that how most if not all 4WD work unless they have a locking diff or LSD? No?

Isn't that how most if not all 4WD work unless they have a locking diff or LSD? No?

It did have 4WD lock. But like I say they didn't work

As you can see in the images. Only the front left wheel and rear right wheel worked....

They're pure piles of crap alright....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Here lads, got a quick question here.

Buddy of mine got a car scrapped in 2017, an old Hyundai with a tonne of problems. 100% not worth repairing according to multiple mechanics.

He got the car scrapped, got the certificate confirming it was scrapped about two weeks later (still has it and all) just to walk along the street earlier today to see the exact car parked up and with the new owner getting into it.

He got a few photos, confirmed the reg and even the familiar dings and breaks in the car. Even compared it to old photos.

Surely this is suspicious carry on from the scrapyard? Is there anything to be done about this?

• Advertisement

He was issued a certificate of destruction and the car is out and about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

He was issued a certificate of destruction and the car is out and about?

Yup, that's it exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Bad times if you're a fly out there

Screenshot-20190521-145841.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Here lads, got a quick question here.

Buddy of mine got a car scrapped in 2017, an old Hyundai with a tonne of problems. 100% not worth repairing according to multiple mechanics.

He got the car scrapped, got the certificate confirming it was scrapped about two weeks later (still has it and all) just to walk along the street earlier today to see the exact car parked up and with the new owner getting into it.

He got a few photos, confirmed the reg and even the familiar dings and breaks in the car. Even compared it to old photos.

Surely this is suspicious carry on from the scrapyard? Is there anything to be done about this?

Check if it’s nct’d if the car was legally scrapped, which if the certificate of destruction was issued means it was on paper at least, the nct website will tell you if it was. I heard of this once before, the new owner bought the car without the logbook in the pre ANPR days of 2007, couldn’t tax or test it, I think I insurance companies won’t insure them either as the system prohibits it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Check if it’s nct’d if the car was legally scrapped, which if the certificate of destruction was issued means it was on paper at least, the nct website will tell you if it was. I heard of this once before, the new owner bought the car without the logbook in the pre ANPR days of 2007, couldn’t tax or test it, I think I insurance companies won’t insure them either as the system prohibits it.
    my car which i scrapped still shows that its due an nct and its been scrapped the last 3 years

shanec1928 wrote: »
    my car which i scrapped still shows that its due an nct and its been scrapped the last 3 years

Was it legally scrapped as in a certificate of destruction issued? i've scrapped 2 cars in the last 2 years, got the cert and the nct site reflects this by saying it was scrapped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Was it legally scrapped as in a certificate of destruction issued? i've scrapped 2 cars in the last 2 years, got the cert and the nct site reflects this by saying it was scrapped.
    It was also have a video of it being carried off in the scraped yard on the forklift:pac:

shanec1928 wrote: »
    It was also have a video of it being carried off in the scraped yard on the forklift:pac:

Unless the scrapyard never sent the cert to shannon which they should have. Ah jasus it was killed off the boring way then, nothing better than seeing the grabber bash down the roof and pick it up and fling it away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Looking like 10k to play around with for a new car after I sell current!

Looking on donedeal makes me remember how much I hate the Irish car market..

Kilboor wrote: »
    ............ I hate the Irish car market..

yeah, my ole lad was buying a car recently. Grim enough really ....... diesel diesel everwhere. He went with an is300h in the end and is delighted with it. Bonus points for his favourite son suggesting it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I've to drive to Rathnew Friday morning to get a Bose amp and front driver speaker for the Mazda. Didn't realise the amps were so expensive, even second hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I've to drive to Rathnew Friday morning to get a Bose amp and front driver speaker for the Mazda. Didn't realise the amps were so expensive, even second hand.

Is it an MPS you have?

Is it an MPS you have?
    Nah, 2.2 diesel sport model unfortunately.
    Near 200 quid for a second hand amp the size of my Kindle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Tazzimus wrote: »

Where did you get the problem diagnosed or was it self diagnostics?

Bit of an issue with my current A5 speakers, but I wouldn't even know where to start in trying to find exactly what's wrong.

Bass seems really bad but not fully gone and sound is heavily balanced to certain speakers. Think it was the result of aux popping so wouldn't know whether the amp, subwoofer, or speakers are screwed!

Kilboor wrote: »
    Where did you get the problem diagnosed or was it self diagnostics?

Bit of an issue with my current A5 speakers, but I wouldn't even know where to start in trying to find exactly what's wrong.

Bass seems really bad but not fully gone and sound is heavily balanced to certain speakers. Think it was the result of aux popping so wouldn't know whether the amp, subwoofer, or speakers are screwed!
    Common enough issue in them seemingly.
    I thought it was the headunit or the 3 miles of wiring behind it at first, so I put the original one back in and had the same thing.
    Checked on Reddit and lots of people have had amp issues similar to mine, usually a relay in the amp or something going tits up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I found the Thule fixings for a Honda CR-V 2nd gen, I'd forgotten I had them. If anyone can make use of them let me know, I'm based in Waterford but if anyone wants to cover the postage I can send them on.

It's just the bolts and plastic bits, not the feet or bars :-)

Leaving work yesterday started the car and got the loudest high pitched beep turns out the battery level in my car key is low. Was a bit surprised as every other warnings is that kind of gentle ping sound. For the cars I have owned this is the first I have had to change the battery in the key on not that I have actually done it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Leaving work yesterday started the car and got the loudest high pitched beep turns out the battery level in my car key is low. Was a bit surprised as every other warnings is that kind of gentle ping sound. For the cars I have owned this is the first I have had to change the battery in the key on not that I have actually done it yet.

Keyless drains the key battery. I've changed the battery in my key about once a year

Keyless drains the key battery. I've changed the battery in my key about once a year

Yes I figured that alright I may try get a decent brand replacement which should last a bit better. The key itself is fairly wrecked after me dropping it about 100 times must be the only Audi going around with 3 rings on the key instead of 4 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Yes I figured that alright I may try get a decent brand replacement which should last a bit better. The key itself is fairly wrecked after me dropping it about 100 times must be the only Audi going around with 3 rings on the key instead of 4 :pac:

Just buy a lash of batteries, won't make much of a difference the brand of battery you throw in tbh so it's easier just to have a couple lying about.

GT86 more fun than new Supra.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement