Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Kilboor wrote: »

Not a hope. The next cheapest of that vintage is €5k more. I’d say it’s a scam.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Kilboor wrote: »

That looks too cheap tbh.

A 4 year old crossover that should still have 3 years or 100 k kms warranty left from Kia.

Diesel with leather.....

This should be a far more desirable car then the 6 to 7 k it's going for.

Alarm bells should start ringing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Looking at changing cars in the next few months, any of the modernish BMW experts care to give their opinion on a 6 year old 7 series.

I keep cars for a good few years but only do about 15k a year (long trips so diesels technically suit), so the car would have to factor in a potential 1 or 2 kids. Would the boot be decent enough for kids & all that come with them on long trips? I just hate those mummy jeeps & the mrs is pushing for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

If you're worried about space and your woman wants a jeep why not an X5? Or a 5er Touring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Big Nasty wrote: »
    If you're worried about space and your woman wants a jeep why not an X5? Or a 5er Touring?

Not really a fan of jeeps & it's hard to get the 3l 5er touring.

Not really a fan of jeeps & it's hard to get the 3l 5er touring.

Not too hard ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Lol

306082-D6-2-DAE-4-FA7-B77-C-AAF261-F38-C64.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

So I think I need to replace my shocks. I pulled out one of the rear ones last night, and it is very slow at returning back to it's extended position.
    I have been trying to figure out a little vibration that the car sometimes gets. I first only noticed it when braking, so assumed it was brake related. So 4 new disks were got, and that seemed to cure the issue, but then it returned again after some millage. The vibration is not always there when braking, and normally not there at the start of a journey. My theory is that when the shocks warm up during a journey then their inability to dampen minor vibrations properly shows more. I'm not a mechanic, but the millage on the car (80k ish miles) and would probably be time for new shocks anyway?

OEM shocks are pricey enough so looking at maybe some Bilsteins. From what I gather B4s are OEM replacements, B6s are stiffer/sportier and B8s are the same as B6s but shorter for lower suspension.

Anyone got any experience of the B6/8s?

Also considering some AC Snitcher springs, as my car is on SE suspension, and apparently these really help. Not sure though.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    So I think I need to replace my shocks. I pulled out one of the rear ones last night, and it is very slow at returning back to it's extended position...........

If it's not after leaking it's likely 99% perfect tbh.
    Unloaded pace at returning to extended position isn't a test of anything :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Quick one lads. The father's car is a 2009 reg and due it's next NCT on Oct 30th. Am I correct in saying that if it were to be NCT'd before the end of July it will get a 2 year NCT cert from the date of testing? And if it were NCT'd with 90 days of due date (Oct 30th) it will get a NCT to Oct 2020?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

If it's tested and passes 91 days or more before it's due date, you'll get 2 years. So he'd need to pass the test before August 1st to get another 2 year cert.

Thanks, I don't envision any major upsets in it passing as it's in good shape with tiny mileage but I'll be getting him to send it through in early July anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Is it worth spending the extra few thousand when buying a G30 and going for the 530 X drive as it's about 9K extra. Also anyone have one with 20" wheels they seem huge for a car that's not huge..

Is that 9k difference for just x drive on a 530 or is it 9k difference between a 520 and 530 with x drive?

The 20" wheels actually don't look out of place on the G30, they fill the arches well but from a practicality point I wouldn't have them especially on our roads, the 19" look fine too imo and tyres are slightly cheaper too. I'd rather have the visibility, comfort and tech packs given the choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

bazz26 wrote: »
    Is that 9k difference for just x drive on a 530 or is it 9k difference between a 520 and 530 with x drive?

The 20" wheels actually don't look out of place on the G30, they fill the arches well but from a practicality point I wouldn't have them especially on our roads, the 19" look fine too imo and tyres are slightly cheaper too. I'd rather have the visibility, comfort and tech packs given the choice.

4 20' pirelli P zero fitted on a BMW I know recently saw a handsome 4 figure bill. :(:(

Completely subjective. 9k is a chunk of change, I presume you are comparing against a rwd 520d?

I'm in my first xdrive car at the minute and rate that highly. Rarely see the TC light blink at me where in previous BMs would see it a lot more. Car still has a rwd bias so if you do push it on it still holds some of that rwd feeling. I rarely do this to be honest though.
    The engine then is up to you, more power and smoother but I would imagine the 520d is plenty, cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, less depreciation, less tax, less insurance etc.

I haven't driven a g 5 series yet but believe the refinement and noise insulation is very good so hides a lot of the downsides of a 4 pot diesel.

If it was my money I'd probably go 520d xdrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

4 20' pirelli P zero fitted on a BMW I know recently saw a handsome 4 figure bill. :(:(

Mine are 19" with those tyres in RFT and cost 860 ex vat.

I priced 4 x 19" Goodyear Eagle F1s for my bus online recently and they were coming in at under €900 excluding fitting of course. No real urgency to replace them yet so happy to wait for Sterling to take a hammering against the euro.

• Advertisement

Yep between VRT and all it would be 9k more than a 520D. A4 we have has 19" on it and it's a hure to drive..

You will never get your money back on a 520d v 530d when it comes to selling them on yet dealers will always want more for a 530d. Same with x drive, would be nice to have but won't get anything substantially extra for it come resale time. Revenue and VRT is a different ball game though.

Have you driven both Mal, 9k is a large price difference but I think you won't know if it's worth it (in a man math's way anyway) until after you drive both.

You will never get your money back on a 520d v 530d when it comes to selling them on yet dealers will always want more for a 530d. Same with x drive, would be nice to have but won't get anything substantially extra for it come resale time. Revenue and VRT is a different ball game though.

Have you driven both Mal, 9k is a large price difference but I think you won't know if it's worth it (in a man math's way anyway) until after you drive both.

I only drove a 520 and it seemed powerful enough I like the X drive and the thought of extra power. I thought a 530 might be more desirable used but obviously not!

The lower running costs of the 520d will always trump the 530d for the majority of buyers but that's not to say a 530d is not desirable. Dealers will tell you they are worth similar to a 520d when your trading in but in the same breath they will ask more for a 530d over a 520d on their forecourt. Having owned both in F10 guise I prefer the extra refinement (in diesel terms) and power of the 530d over the 520d.

Truckermal wrote: »
    I only drove a 520 and it seemed powerful enough I like the X drive and the thought of extra power. I thought a 530 might be more desirable used but obviously not!

530d X-Drive Sport Touring in Mediterranean Blue.

I'll buy it from you in 5 years. ;)

530d X-Drive Sport Touring in Mediterranean Blue.

I'll buy it from you in 5 years. ;)

Estate would equal Divorce!

• Advertisement

Truckermal wrote: »
    Estate would equal Divorce!

Just specced this up - €90k! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

@Noccy

Blank page out of a Mondoe service book as promised

Just specced this up - €90k! :o

Depreciation is heavy though looking again at 2017 models obviously not buying new and 9K was being pessimistic I'd say about 4K extra which is worth it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

A 520d will be easier to shift for sure, but it's not like nobody's going to buy a 530d.... excellent mpg and CO2 for what they are, plus six cylinders as well. There will be plenty of buyers unless things for diesels go totally haywire over the next few years, but if there's a diesel backlash that will apply to the 520d just as much.

A 520d in the F10 is commendably quick and refined for what it is and is faster than a lot of cars out there for sure (far superior to the Mercedes equivalent), but it could do with the extra oomph and refinement of the six cylinder engine all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Haven’t seen an S3 in this colour before looks well nice car.

https://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/audi/s3/201905288397706

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

CIP4 wrote: »
    Haven’t seen an S3 in this colour before looks well nice car.

https://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/audi/s3/201905288397706

That's the 1st colour I seen the S3 in when that model came out.... I was drooling and it looked amazing at night as if it were wet.

Very hard to beat a nice blue

Thinking of going to look at this at the weekend. Looks very orange in the pictures but is actually red. Would like to stay with Audi but the lack of standard equipment on them is plain annoying the cars are lovely but just lack even basic equipment and that's in S-Line spec. Like this car has reversing camera, Front and rear parking sensors, Adaptive cruise control, heated seats, 3 zone climate control, lane keep assist, virtual cockpit, LED lights, Sunroof. Literally all that stuff is an expensive optional extra on an A5 etc. Really just want a DSG and a bit more power although I know it won't be particularly quick. I have had a good run with the A4 but its approaching 4 years old now and will start needing work, NCT and all that this is a close to new car so would be starting fresh again.

Not sure though will it just feel a bit cheap inside in comparison. Any time I see an Arteon just think they are a great looking car. Never been so undecided picking cars normally just decide and 3 hours later I have one bought. I am since January thinking about it at this point.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/arteon/used-2018-182-volkswagen-arteon-r-lin-louth-fpa-201902134893441

What work does a 4 year old car really need? The reason I ask is that my car is 4 years old with just over 60k miles and I'm looking at the service history from new and other than regular servicing and most recently brake pads last week, it needed nothing to pass it's first NCT earlier this year.

CIP4 wrote: »
    I have had a good run with the A4 but its approaching 4 years old now and will start needing work, NCT and all that this is a close to new car so would be starting fresh again.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/arteon/used-2018-182-volkswagen-arteon-r-lin-louth-fpa-201902134893441

Forgive me if I'm not seeing the full picture here, but isn't this philosophy the very same as those who in 08/9 etc spent 30/40k+ on new cars to save a few shekels on tax? What work, as bazz posits, could a 4 year old Audi possibly need?

The chap just wants to move up in the years, at a guess :)

Augeo wrote: »
    The chap just wants to move up in the years, at a guess :)

That too I suppose!

In fairness he says he wants more power and dsg. How often do the back seats in the Audi get used?

It probably doesn’t need anymore than 1k worth of work done over the next while nothing major. The main reason for changing would be to get a dsg and a little more power plus it would have some nice extras.

I am definitely not a reg snob as if I was I would just buy cheaper brand new cars every year which would probably cost me the same. A brand new Leon FR is about 28k new for example. I don’t know any reg snobs that buy second hand cars that are already a few numbers behind the upcoming 192 reg.

If I was trying to save money on cars I would sell the A4 and buy a 4K Octavia which would be a perfectly good car I could drive while being up the money. I am under no illusion that buying a new car like the one above is very much a cost it won’t save me money.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    In fairness he says he wants more power and dsg. How often do the back seats in the Audi get used?

Not a massive amount but probably still several times a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Blank page out of a Mondoe service book as promised

Legend, much obliged!

That Areton is savage looking.

Take it for a test drive and your mind will be made up pretty quickly.

That Areton is savage looking.

Take it for a test drive and your mind will be made up pretty quickly.
    It looks the business but they could have tried a lot harder with the interior imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

Would a 420i interest you CIP? Faster than the arteon and better to drive. Maybe not as eyecatching though.

https://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/4-Series-420I--M-SPORT--GRAN-COUPE--AUTO--5DR/201903276344116

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

The Areton is a fine car but go drive a well spec'd S3 or R first it's an itch you've been wanting to scratch for a while. Drive one before making the jump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The 420i wouldn't be as well spec'd as the Arteon though would it? If it's spec he's after. Agreed, you get just as good a spec in a Golf R for similar money and it'd be a good bit more fun. Probably get into a 172 R for the price of the Arteon. I'm not saying the Arteon isn't a nice car but it's a bit "auld fella" IMO.

Yes I am not into the 4 series at all if I was going down the BMW route would be a new model 3 series but they are only just out and not many demo petrols around. The Arteon gets very mixed reviews but I think it is a great looking car one passes me when I am going to work each day going the opposite way and it always catches my eye. From the looks of pictures the interior is probably on the cheap side in places but that's about the only negative I would have on it. The level of equipment in them seems excellent.

I do plan on test driving a Golf R and GTI but I just think when you are use to a bigger car it might feel a little cramped even though I know an A4 isn't massive either. The other thing is with the best will in the world they are going to be heavily loaded by insurance companies and I am not 25 yet. Also there has been a good few reports of the Golf R achieving sub 25mpg which I do a good few miles every year. Also realistically you are not going to buy a Golf R to drive it economically. I know they are only running costs but an extra 4-5K a year is substantial all the same.

The Arteon interior is lifted straight out of the regular Passat. The biggest problems with the Arteon though are the limited engine range and high pricing. All we get here is the entry level 2.0 diesel, 1.5 petrol and low powered 2.0 petrol. All of these are under 200bhp.

The Arteon interior is lifted straight out of the regular Passat. The biggest problems with the Arteon though are the limited engine range and high pricing. All we get here is the entry level 2.0 diesel, 1.5 petrol and low powered 2.0 petrol. All of these are under 200bhp.

Yes would only buy the 190 TSI which you can’t even get anymore but they sold them upto 182 so can be got secondhand. Would be mad to buy a brand new one as they seem to lose 10k by the time the number plate is put on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Do you like to drive fast though CIP?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement