Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

CIP4 wrote: »
    Yes would only buy the 190 TSI which you can’t even get anymore but they sold them upto 182 so can be got secondhand. Would be mad to buy a brand new one as they seem to lose 10k by the time the number plate is put on.

Is importing an option?

Alot of NI dealers will take southern cars as trade-ins and sell them back to dealers down south. You will get the NI used price on your A4 but there are a few 280bhp Arteons up there for sale:

https://www.usedcarsni.com/2018-Volkswagen-Arteon-2-0-TSI-280-R-Line-5dr-4MOTION-DSG-242567708?keywords=&make=32&model=206609096&fuel_type=1&trans_type=0&age_from=0&age_to=0&price_from=0&price_to=0&user_type=0&mileage_to=0&location%5B%5D=0&homepage_search_attr=1&tab_id=0&search_type=1&car_class=

https://www.usedcarsni.com/2018-Volkswagen-Arteon-2-0-TSI-280-R-Line-5dr-4MOTION-DSG-241884645?keywords=&make=32&model=206609096&fuel_type=1&trans_type=0&age_from=0&age_to=0&price_from=0&price_to=0&user_type=0&mileage_to=0&location%5B%5D=0&homepage_search_attr=1&tab_id=0&search_type=1&car_class=

Not listed on the VRT website as it doesn't look like anyone imported a petrol Arteon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

The arteon is a lovely car but it is essentially a hatchback Passat and the interior is pure Passat. All the spec in the world can’t disguise that fact. It will feel like a come down from an Audi interior.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/bmw/3-series/used-2019-191-bmw-3-series-g20-320i-s-wexford-fpa-201905077696757

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

That N7 road widening scheme 60kmh limit is just terrible. I know the limit is there for a reason but it’s tough going over such a long distance. I feel for anyone that has to commute on that road everyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Would a site visit with a pick up of supplies on the way require business cover on the insurance?????.

And what happens if you lend your car to someone for that trip but don't realise at the time what the trip is. For example the person says "oh I need to travel to Dublin on Tuesday" etc.

Presumably the way forward is to either say no OR say yes IF they can produce their policy with business cover on it and transfer it over.

Perhaps im overthinking it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

iv'e business insurance on my yoke. It actually sent my premiums down.

Handy for piece of mind. And nobody will think to rob tools out of the boot of my yoke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Alanstrainor, I see you were driving behind me earlier (nearly sure) Along the road from Donaghmede to the m50. Caught my eye in the rear view mirror. Credit to you, the car looks immaculate, pulled to the side to let you pass on the m50, looks excellent (apart from the little rust specs on the boot ;)) You probably didn't pass any notice of me infront of you, a quite dirty silver 09 Mo Golf.... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Yep, Noccy is a stalker :p

That's two boardies he has stalked so far. He will hunt is all down if we're not careful. :D

Driving the Leon a good bit the last few months for various reasons. It’s really hard to get use to the Diesel engine again though. It’s a 2.0tdi 150bhp so not particularly unrefined and a newish engine. Tbh on the motorway it’s fairly ok but around town the engine noise is plain annoying even at low revs it’s very prominent compared to my petrol where you hear nothing a normal driving revs. It’s funny how quickly you get used to things wasn’t that many years ago I was driving a diesel and thought nothing of the engine sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Driving the Leon a good bit the last few months for various reasons. It’s really hard to get use to the Diesel engine again though. It’s a 2.0tdi 150bhp so not particularly unrefined and a newish engine. Tbh on the motorway it’s fairly ok but around town the engine noise is plain annoying even at low revs it’s very prominent compared to my petrol where you hear nothing a normal driving revs. It’s funny how quickly you get used to things wasn’t that many years ago I was driving a diesel and thought nothing of the engine sound.

Lot down to sound proofing and size of car etc.....

Seat is a cheaper version so will have certain things cut back for cost savings.

Put the tunes on and you hear nothing at all but good music...

You can't beat a petrol engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You can't beat a petrol engine.

Jet engine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Seat is a cheaper version so will have certain things cut back for cost savings.

No I'd say wife has a A4 with same engine and it's loud especially when it does that stop start sh1te... They are a really loud engine for some reason..

Truckermal wrote: »
    No I'd say wife has a A4 with same engine and it's loud especially when it does that stop start sh1te... They are a really loud engine for some reason..

I would say my Dads A4 is slightly better than the Leon which I am sure is down to the extra sound proofing but it is still fairly noticable. I don't think the 1.6TDI alternative is necessarily much better.

That's two boardies he has stalked so far. He will hunt is all down if we're not careful.

It's mental, I've been in Dublin about 3 times since last Summer, yet I managed to see two boardsies! Eagle eyes...

It's mental, I've been in Dublin about 3 times since last Summer, yet I managed to see two boardsies! Eagle eyes...

Was in Dublin Yesterday morning and was actually seriously surprised by the amount of Mk7 Golf R's I saw driving around in the few hours I was there I seen at least 10 of them, you would be lucky to see 1 in a week around kilkenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Everytime I'm in Dublin I'm reminded why I rarely go there to begin with. :p

Truckermal wrote: »

Yet the Mk 3 Superb with DSG and 150 ps 2.0 TDI is pretty damn quiet

Everytime I'm in Dublin I'm reminded why I rarely go there to begin with. :p

The expense of the day out :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Was in Dublin Yesterday morning and was actually seriously surprised by the amount of Mk7 Golf R's I saw driving around in the few hours I was there I seen at least 10 of them, you would be lucky to see 1 in a week around kilkenny.

There was some gouger in a loud white one in Kilkenny on Friday night :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Pop of Kilkenny <25k
    Pop of Dublin > 1,000k

Looks like proportionately more Golf Rs in Kilkenny!

• Advertisement

Marcusm wrote: »
    Pop of Kilkenny <25k
    Pop of Dublin > 1,000k

Looks like proportionately more Golf Rs in Kilkenny!

10 in 3 hrs would be 80/day....560/week..... Unless there's 14m people in Dublin kilkenny has proportionately more golf Rs given the raw data given.....
    Even taking an 8 hour and not a 24 hour day :pac:
    I won't divide 14m by 3 to illustrate.

I got to test drive an Arteon anyway 2.0tsi 190bhp impressive car overall.
    Pros
    -Fantastic looking car and very large and practical boot wise, rear seats etc.
    -Loaded with extras mores than most BMW and Audi equivalents
    -Nice to drive the DSG and 2.0TSI was so smooth really noticeable in stop start traffic just pulls away very effortlessly relative to the A4 wasn't expecting the difference in torque power to be as noticeable

Cons
    -Although the interior was not bad at all was probably too safe in places and Passat like
    -Although it was quite you would hear noises which you wouldn't hear in the Audi
    -Certain parts were cheap relative to the Audi, door plastics, light and window switches

Overall I was well impressed with the car not so impressed with the brutal trade in they offered on mine that bad I could probably take the cost of change figure to an Audi garage where I would get a similar year A5 for essentially the same money as I would get a better trade in. I didn't haggle at all but would be hard to see them coming up enough to make it a reasonable deal.

Still very undecided but at the minute the most likely options would be keep my own till next year and decide then or else buy either an Arteon or an A5 DSG 2.0TSI. As much as I try to like them, BMW really just doesn't do it for me. Same with the S3 / Golf R I just don't really like small cars I have driven a 300bhp Cupra and while the power is very nice I am not sure it is worth the extra running cost for me as tbh I found the 190 bhp plenty quick. I think tbh if my own A4 was the same just in Auto I wouldn't even be thinking of changing as its the only thing I don't like about the car but at the time I bought it I didn't want an Auto.

Would you not sell your car privately? You would get more privately then any dealer would give you for a trade in. Unless you happened to get a amazing deal for some reason but that would be pretty rare.

Would you not sell your car privately? You would get more privately then any dealer would give you for a trade in. Unless you happened to get a amazing deal for some reason but that would be pretty rare.

I am not sure how much of a market there would be for it as most cars over 20k most people would plan to buy on finance through a dealer. If you could get a genuine buyer would work out the best selling it private but that’s a big if. My parents had their Leon up on DoneDeal for a while Diesel priced fairly well, it’s a Diesel and still got no interest at all in it.

I am not sure how much of a market there would be for it as most cars over 20k most people would plan to buy on finance through a dealer. If you could get a genuine buyer would work out the best selling it private but that’s a big if. My parents had their Leon up on DoneDeal for a while Diesel priced fairly well, it’s a Diesel and still got no interest at all in it.

Oh yeah, I forgot your car is worth so much.

Do any Lexus models tickle your fancy CIP? For a chap who is looking at petrol & auto if you liked a Lexus they'd be ideal IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I posted this over in Motorsport but worth repeating here I think:

"Golden Mondello: From Grass to Glory

Programme celebrating 50 years of Irish Motorsport at Mondello Park, the internationally renowned race-track converted from farmland in 1968."

Just happened to see this yesterday on RTE1, so I assume it will be on the player for a bit. Was really interesting, great footage from 1968 to date, interviews with people such as Edie Jordan, Derek Daly, Michael Roe, Eddie Laycock, Rosemary Smith and many more. An hour long show well worth a look!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Was an interesting watch for sure. Took me completely by surprise, I was expecting a nationwide type programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Oh yeah, I forgot your car is worth so much.

I’ve discovered over the years that often what I thought my car was worth and what a succession of dealers have thought it worth can be very different.
    Before I used think of it as a bit like stages of grief.
    Initially anger and disbelief at what I’m being told but gradually acceptance of reality.
    Eventually man maths kicks in and you convince yourself you’re getting a grand deal on the new car altogether.

• Advertisement

carsfan2 wrote: »
    ........ you convince yourself you’re getting a grand deal on the new car altogether.

I've yet to encounter anyone who reckons they got a bad deal :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Seen a few reviews of the BMW G20 330i and it seems very impressive indeed, from a handling point of view. Looks wise its subjective but I think it's a very handsome car, especially in portimao blue with black grill. Interior is a huge jump from the F30 and a welcome one. It was that cars biggest weakness.

60k is a lot of dosh though once you spec it up, another 3k will get you a 530i m sport, albeit basic spec.

Bigger in every way than the outgoing model, I could be tempted to downsize from the 5 series next year :D

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/car-reviews/our-test-drive-the-bmw-330i-m-sport-1.3877207?mode=amp

The trade in can vary from dealer to dealer depending on how they work the figures.

The figure that counts is what it's going to cost you in MONEY terms to change cars.

If you were going for PCP - be clear on all the figures in hard cash - deposit, cost per month and final balloon payments. Have all those PCP figures for all dealers.

Personally the way I like to work PCP is to total up the deposit and the monthly figures and get a total cost in money terms.

Then see how that total cost changes when the dealer takes your trade in - into account.

(The whole GMV/balloon payment on new car will stay same no matter what the trade in for your current car)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Nothing wrong with the F30 interior, that itself is a huge step up from the E90 interior!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

Can anyone think of insurance companies that offer the 3rd party extension with their policies?

Ive been with Liberty the last 4 years and their policy has been getting worse and worse every year, and now this year my renewal has increased €200 for no reason atal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Murt102 wrote: »
    Can anyone think of insurance companies that offer the 3rd party extension with their policies?

Ive been with Liberty the last 4 years and their policy has been getting worse and worse every year, and now this year my renewal has increased €200 for no reason atal.
    Try an online quote with them as a new customer. I did that this year and the “new” customer quote was 200 cheaper and they matched it no problem.

• Advertisement

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Try an online quote with them as a new customer. I did that this year and the “new” customer quote was 200 cheaper and they matched it no problem.

Tried that, was €20 more expensive still.

Just got a quote with FBD and its already €200 cheaper than Liberty’s renewal (matching what i paid last year)

Let the fun begin :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Allianz do. They’ve been cheapest for me for the last few years too for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Bank of Ireland.

Murt102 wrote:

Nearly all do, but if you're under 25 afaik, it's just Aviva and Liberty that do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Sertus/rsa do it. And the car doesn't have to have insurance on it.

It's also fully comp cover if the car is under 2000cc.

Chill quote from them and cornmarket do too.

As said Liberty and Aviva are the only ones that do it for u25s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

New BMW M8 unveiled. Fastest M car ever produced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Met Clarkson the other day in a pub near the airport. Sound chap. Took loads of pictures and banter about football etc.

His table's bill came to e276 (incl 2 bottles champers) but they didn't leave a penny tip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Met Clarkson the other day in a pub near the airport. Sound chap. Took loads of pictures and banter about football etc.

His table's bill came to e276 (incl 2 bottles champers) but they didn't leave a penny tip!

He is very hit and miss when you meet him out in public. Has been know to tell people to phuck away off.

In other news for reasons completely unknown to myself I've purchased a 2006 VW Beetle with a 2 litre auto and very decent spec.

I can't even insure it on a classic policy to use it so this will be getting locked away.

Sound lads re; insurance!

I’m under 25 so could be snookered with the 3rd party extension unless Liberty pull out something reasonable. My neighbor is an insurance broker so ill have to give him a visit one of the days to see if he can pull any strings.

Sound lads re; insurance!

I’m under 25 so could be snookered with the 3rd party extension unless Liberty pull out something reasonable. My neighbor is an insurance broker so ill have to give him a visit one of the days to see if he can pull any strings.

I was with Liberty for year and they started to get expensive last year switched to Aviva who for the last two years have been a lot cheaper. Their third party extension covers under 25s. I am in a similar boat to you under 25. So worth trying to get a quote with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Murt102 wrote:

I'm in the same position. PM me there if you like and I'll tell ya how I went about mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ba_barabus wrote: »
    In other news for reasons completely unknown to myself I've purchased a 2006 VW Beetle with a 2 litre auto and very decent spec.

I can't even insure it on a classic policy to use it so this will be getting locked away.

Best place for it

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Best place for it

You're not the first person to say that. It'll be the perfect odd ball POS to keep so future generations can be made to suffer

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement