Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

ba_barabus wrote: »
    In other news for reasons completely unknown to myself I've purchased a 2006 VW Beetle with a 2 litre auto and very decent spec.

I can't even insure it on a classic policy to use it so this will be getting locked away.

Jaysus, 115bhp from a 2L petrol. Shows how time has moved on. Would it be suitable for modding with a turbo or supercharger to inject a bit of pace?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

OSI wrote: »
    Weren't they still putting 8v's in those?

Yep. It's the most unsporty thing I can think of that was for sale in 2006.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Rebadged Mazda 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bazz26 wrote: »
    Rebadged Mazda 2.
    Rebadged Suzuki Baleno?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Rebadged Suzuki Baleno?

Sorry, that should have said "looks like a rebadged Mazda 2".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think they did rebadge the Mazda 2 as a Toyota though.

Yeah the Yaris in US/Canada is a rebadged Mazda2:

CR-Cars-InlineHero-2020-Toyota-Yaris-Hatch-f-4-19.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Christ :o what a terrible way to bring back the name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Nice car but I only like the saloon S3 even at that I think they are a bit small. Would be a bit too old as well wouldn’t go any older than 181 ideally less. I have kind of stopped the search for the minute as I just don’t know what I want so don’t think I should be buying anything with that mind set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

Lads Wheel Wizards or Rim Solutions for alloy refurb? Both are about 15min from me. Just wondering has anyone used both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Speaking of wheels......FML....

I've a slight intermittent vibration in the car. I've had the wheels balanced but still there. I've read about road force balancing but no where near me does it so tonight I grabbed a family members E92 that drives perfectly and started swapping the wheels over to rule them out. Limited tools so a lot of jacking up and down etc. Rear wheels swapped fine and then I went to put the fronts on and they don't clear my front calipers ffs..... So had to reverse everything, wasted about 2 hours.

I think it might be either a control arm bushing or else worn shocks. I am waiting for a supplier in the UK to get back to me on a new B12 kit that is coming out and might go down that route anyway.

I have new pilot sports ordered, and may potentially buy a new set of rims for the new rubber.

Tiny vibration but it's bugging the **** outta me

Can be a nightmare to pinpoint what's causing it alright. Do you notice any difference when you go from a slightly rougher surface to smoother or is it consistently the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

vintagevrs wrote: »

I've a slight intermittent vibration in the car. I've had the wheels balanced but still there. I've read about road force balancing but no where near me does it so tonight I grabbed a family members E92 that drives perfectly and started swapping the wheels over to rule them out. Limited tools so a lot of jacking up and down etc. Rear wheels swapped fine and then I went to put the fronts on and they don't clear my front calipers ffs..... So had to reverse everything, wasted about 2 hours.

I think it might be either a control arm bushing or else worn shocks. I am waiting for a supplier in the UK to get back to me on a new B12 kit that is coming out and might go down that route anyway.

I have new pilot sports ordered, and may potentially buy a new set of rims for the new rubber.

Have you gotten it tracked by a BMW dealer? Apparently the tracking is so fine tuned that most places find it virtually impossible to track F series BMW's. Our 4 series was shredding tyres with only 10k on the clock and it had to go back to BMW as no local places could or would do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

CIP4 wrote: »
    Nice car but I only like the saloon S3 even at that I think they are a bit small. Would be a bit too old as well wouldn’t go any older than 181 ideally less. I have kind of stopped the search for the minute as I just don’t know what I want so don’t think I should be buying anything with that mind set.

The A3/S3 is a fabulous looking in car in both hatch and saloon but the saloon just slightly beats the hatch on looks for me. I was seeing A3s everywhere when I was in Australia, especially the RS.

I also got to take a Golf R manual for a spin when I was in Sydney recently. Absolute lunatic of car I thought, not as nice looking as the GTI but still.
    Done a bit of research afterwards and learned that it is cheaper by €8000 to buy one brand new in Oz than over here.

• Advertisement

The vibration is pretty intermittent so not too sure regarding surfaces. Nearest BMW garage is over an hour away so not haven't brought it to them yet. Idrive is asking for another oil stamp in 1500km so might get BM to do that and get it sussed out then.

........... might get BM to do that and get it sussed out then.

Could be anything, I wouldn't go changing rims or anything like that in the hope it might resolve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Oh God... Took me months to figure out what was the noise and vibration in my car, 2 Tyre fitters and Seat main dealer could not find the issue.
    Then a Polish lad, with a breakfast roll in his hand found issue in less then 1 minute after he got car on the lift. It was one rear Tyre damaged. Changed rear tyres and noise was gone.
    So my advice before taking apart any suspension would be to check tyres property first.

Yeah, new tyres first port of call, and then possibly a control arm bushing although I am not convinced on that one. Car has about 80k miles on it, and the shocks could probably do with a refresh anyway, hence looking at the Bilstein B12 kit.

Then the wheels thing was only if I could prove I had a bent rim, which I don't think I do. I have been peaking at a set of 20s though, which makes no sense at all. Cost money to buy, more expensive tyres, harsher ride etc.... but......

763-GM-8-1.jpg

:)

Little update, got the car up on a lift today. Both front control arm bushings are busted. So that'll be the first thing to swap out. Here's hoping...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Indicating right before entering a roundabout and then going straight... What's this about? Anyone has an answer? I never understood how these people have a right to vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Diabhalta wrote: »
    Indicating right before entering a roundabout and then going straight... What's this about? Anyone has an answer? I never understood how these people have a right to vote.

Don't forget the plebs in the left lane who go the whole way around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Diabhalta wrote: »

Come to north meath, you'll see it all.
    Left lane, indicating right, goes straight on.
    No indication
    Weave between lane 1 and lane 2 on the roundabout.

Madness I say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Beast of a pothole. Near a foot deep. At least A and E is handy.

I booked better then I got the last two rentals so this time I booked a seat Leon or similar....rental gods smiled on me. The brakes are amazing on the thing....it goes OK of course but the brakes are superb.
    482238.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Ryath

They smiled on me too! Booked an eGolf and got this! :D

400bhp 0-100 in 4.6 seconds!
    482147.jpg

482148.jpg

Ran up 445 miles on a tank in the avensinomics. 55 litres to re-brim. 36 odd mpg is alright. OBC says 37 odd so not far off. Average speed was only 20 mph. Been using to go from blanch to finglas for work so plenty of lights, roundabouts and speedbumps wasting fuel.

More importantly it doesnt seem to have used a drop of oil which i was more worried about.
    Sz6YgLil.jpg

Augeo wrote: »
    I reckon garages are fleecing people on the major service thing. My sorento is due one too shortly.... it's an air filter and a minor service essentially .... fuel filter not even to be done iirc.

Was pleasantly surprised when this became due.
    The 20k kms service was €200 which isn't cheap but it is what it is to be fair. The 40k kms service was only €25 more....an air filter accounting for the extra.

Tyres swapped around also....fronts were down to under 4mm and the rears had over 5mm on them.... Looks like they'll get to 60k kms with over 2.5mm all round now if I leave them on that long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Hi all, anybody recommend a good tyre for a turbo fwd car (190bhp)? Ideally not more than about €90 a corner, and not wear too quickly because I do big enough mileage. 215 45 r17. Was going to get either Uniroyal Rainsport 3's or Goodyear Eagle F1's?

Also recommended places in Cork/Kerry that will fit them if bought online? Thanks!

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Hi all, anybody recommend a good tyre for a turbo fwd car (190bhp)? Ideally not more than about €90 a corner, and not wear too quickly because I do big enough mileage. 215 45 r17. Was going to get either Uniroyal Rainsport 3's or Goodyear Eagle F1's?

Also recommended places in Cork/Kerry that will fit them if bought online? Thanks!

Hmmm I got 192hp and fwd and same Tyre size too. I wonder what car is it? :pac:
    I went for F1 after potenzas wore off. 150eu in Tyre shop and 112eu was online. Got two in Tyre shop, then the other two online. With fitting it turned out pretty much same price.
    The issue you will face is the unique size. It's not common and price for Tyre is higher. For 90eu I don't know what you can put on. Then again, I would not cheap out on tyre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Get the f1's in 225 45 r17 possibly?

The uniroyals have excellent levels of grip but soft ish sidewalls and they wear quick enough on rough roads.

I had Kuhmo Ecsta PS71's on the front of my car and got 35K km out of them and even at that there was probably 2.5mm of thread left. I find them a good tyre. Just got two new tyres on the front and went with the Eagle F1's and don't really find them any better and would be surprised if they last as long. Still have the Kuhmo PS71 on the rear with about 37k km on them now and there is 5mm left on them. Granted my car is FWD but only 150bhp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Have same size and spent 125 per corner on Falkens recently. They replaced toyo tires that lasted a long time. Falkens definitely improved traction on take off and braking. Can't comment on how long they will last. Don't remember the exact model.

That size is expensive and 90 euro including fitting will be tough to find unless you go budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Hmmm I got 192hp and fwd and same Tyre size too. I wonder what car is it? :pac:
    I went for F1 after potenzas wore off. 150eu in Tyre shop and 112eu was online. Got two in Tyre shop, then the other two online. With fitting it turned out pretty much same price.
    The issue you will face is the unique size. It's not common and price for Tyre is higher. For 90eu I don't know what you can put on. Then again, I would not cheap out on tyre.

Haha it's not the same as your car :) It's a Corsa OPC. Only 189bhp ;) Got it almost a year ago now and love it.

https://s20.postimg.cc/lmty46suj/2_-_Copy.jpg

Thanks for all the advice. Is there any problem at all in going for wider tyre over standard? (225 vs 215) Will have a think about it over the weekend and will up my budget if I need to, definitely not going to put crap tyres on it.

You're grand...... They don't have any such intelligence built in. All 4 are the same so can go anywhere on the car.

OSI wrote: »
    Any one know if the tyre pressure sensors are paired with a corner somehow? Rotated the tyres earlier and only thought afterwards that the car might register pressures in the wrong wheels.

I thought the tyre pressure sensors these days just use the abs sensors at each wheel to count rotation and compare each wheel to one another the one with low pressure will rotate more than the others. If that’s the case it won’t matter about swapping tyres it I could be wrong on the above. Although if you car actually give a pressure reading on each tyre then it is a different system.

CIP4 wrote: »
    ... Although if you car actually give a pressure reading on each tyre then it is a different system.

His system does that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Hey Ciano, John Bank Tyres in Tunners Cross would be my recommendation. The lads in side are sound. I got a tour of the store to show me other options but in the end I went with the F1s for approx €120 a corner for 225 45 R17s (on a 150bhp). Had F1s, then PS4 and now back to F1s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Hey Ciano, John Bank Tyres in Tunners Cross would be my recommendation. The lads in side are sound. I got a tour of the store to show me other options but in the end I went with the F1s for approx €120 a corner for 225 45 R17s (on a 150bhp). Had F1s, then PS4 and now back to F1s.
    They wont fit what you buy online though only what they sell. I always use them to track tho when get new ones. Tyres at home in grange I use to fit my last 2 sets of ps4 tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Had my car in for the NCT over the weekend, it passed, however i have a question/concern in relation to the emissions, readings are as follows:

Engine/oil temperature 104 degrees C

Low Idle CO 0.19 vol% above 0.30 fail Result : Pass
    (880 rpm) HC 40ppm Above 0ppm N/A

High Idle Lambda 1.00 Not between 0.97 and 1.03 Pass
    (2,530 rpm) CO 0.18 vol% Above 0.20 Pass
    HC 26 ppm Above 200 ppm Pass

My concern here is the CO on high idle, the car has only done 500 miles since its NCT on the same weekend last year, on that occasion it was just after a full service including a new lambda sensor as it previously failed on that.I gave the car a good oul Italian tune up on the morning, however the car was left sitting idle well beyond its allocated slot and cooled down, is this a partial reason? I did absolutely nothing to it between tests bar the top up of fluids, the car was initially failed for the sunstrip i had on it and when when i asked the tester to witness me pulling it off he printed my pass cert there and then, other than that it hasn't been touched in any other way. The car in question is a MK5 Golf with the 1.6 8v engine. Am i looking down the lines of a catalytic converter next year or a service? again the mileage on the plugs is low.

Lads. Anyone know, what PCP rates on used Audi now? Is it 2.9% ish like the rest of the VW group?

How does it know which corner is low?

Dunno how TBH.....one receiver but each wheel has the pressure monitor if equipped with direct tpms.
    The respective signals can only come from 1 of 4 positions so it's probably not hugely complicated..... In saying that I've no idea how it's done.

To save batteries they only send when rotating so perhaps the receiver reprogrammes itself on every start up :)

On my yoke there's no info until it's rolling for a while...a good few hundred metres iirc.

Google ☺....
    https://www.moderntiredealer.com/article/724278/tpms-honda-pilot-and-ridgeline-2005-2016

".. An initiator for each wheel (located in the wheel housing) is hardwired to the control unit. .......Every time the ignition is turned ON (II), the control unit asks each initiator for a sensor ID. The initiators then transmit the sensor IDs, and the control unit receives and memorizes them. The control unit then knows which ID belongs to each tire location. This recurring ID confirmation prevents any confusion in the system as a result of normal tire rotation"

Mmmmm makes sense.....dunno do all systems have the harddwired initiator yoke though.

Things like knowing how unimportant **** like that interests me...

Speaking of wheels, tyres and the likes the car got a little upgrade today:
    IMG-20190610-192726.jpg

• Advertisement

Did it eliminate the vibration issue after changing the tyres?

No, I wasn't expecting it to either as I found both front control arm bushings are bust (oil out of them) and have loads of play. Two new ones be here this week and then get them fitted. Really hoping it sorts the vibration as it's ruining the car for me. Then I can put these tyres under a little more pressure :)

Had my car in for the NCT over the weekend, it passed, however i have a question/concern in relation to the emissions, readings are as follows:

Engine/oil temperature 104 degrees C

Low Idle CO 0.19 vol% above 0.30 fail Result : Pass
    (880 rpm) HC 40ppm Above 0ppm N/A

High Idle Lambda 1.00 Not between 0.97 and 1.03 Pass
    (2,530 rpm) CO 0.18 vol% Above 0.20 Pass
    HC 26 ppm Above 200 ppm Pass

My concern here is the CO on high idle, the car has only done 500 miles since its NCT on the same weekend last year, on that occasion it was just after a full service including a new lambda sensor as it previously failed on that.I gave the car a good oul Italian tune up on the morning, however the car was left sitting idle well beyond its allocated slot and cooled down, is this a partial reason? I did absolutely nothing to it between tests bar the top up of fluids, the car was initially failed for the sunstrip i had on it and when when i asked the tester to witness me pulling it off he printed my pass cert there and then, other than that it hasn't been touched in any other way. The car in question is a MK5 Golf with the 1.6 8v engine. Am i looking down the lines of a catalytic converter next year or a service? again the mileage on the plugs is low.

Sounds like you cat took some damage from the car running poorly before the previous nct.

No, I wasn't expecting it to either as I found both front control arm bushings are bust (oil out of them) and have loads of play. Two new ones be here this week and then get them fitted. Really hoping it sorts the vibration as it's ruining the car for me. Then I can put these tyres under a little more pressure :)

The most logical explanation ive seen on here to your problem was, i think it was rex x, saying it was to do with the discs being aluminium at the hub. Is it a form over function design i wonder... people dont like seeing the rust on the inside of the alloy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Interslice wrote: »
    Sounds like you cat took some damage from the car running poorly before the previous nct.

It's the original cat with 150,000 miles on it, might be no harm to get a new one, i'll have to go back on the nct readings of it in my ownership. once i get home i'll post it here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement