Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

180 day Data plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

According to this page Comreg says that a provider must give 30 days notice to any change to terms of service and allow exit without penalty.

There are links on that page to the relevant Irish Statute and Comreg Decision No 12/128 which states that the requirements apply to prepay subscribers as well as bill pay.

Eir didn't and still haven't given the required 30 days notice of the change and are also penalizing anyone who topped up to buy a new 180 day pass (allegedly).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Hi Kyle - do you have a channel to provide feedback to management about the dissatisfaction around the removal of the 180 day plan? It would be great if you could.

I've had two SIMs using these plans for about 18 months each, with about 15 of these boosters used between them - that's a lot of business to say goodbye to, and I'm only one customer. Going bill pay is not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Vwsham

This is a joke, I've been a happy customer with this plan for almost two years. I wouldn't mind but I recommended this plan to a few friends too!
    You rebrand as eir from meteor, allow us one top up then pull the plan out from under us. Shame on you eir, not even as much as a notification email to existing customers, treating us with contempt.
    Well, it looks like you've just lost another customer. Greed's an awful thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Ten Pin wrote: »
    According to this page Comreg says that a provider must give 30 days notice to any change to terms of service and allow exit without penalty.

There are links on that page to the relevant Irish Statute and Comreg Decision No 12/128 which states that the requirements apply to prepay subscribers as well as bill pay.

Eir didn't and still haven't given the required 30 days notice of the change and are also penalizing anyone who topped up to buy a new 180 day pass (allegedly).
    Its not like they had to do much. Comreg now allows mobile providers to send a txt msg to customers to tell them about contract changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 William Frederick Burton

Many thanks for your assistance Kyle.

I will need the following information for my ComReg complaint.

The actual date the 180 day plan was reduced to 30 days.

It appears that existing customers didn’t receive any communication of the change but -

Did Eir display any message on the customer’s account dashboard or top up screen ahead of the 180 day option being axed to alert customers?

I topped in the week before the changes and I don’t recall seeing anything but I would like confirmation so I can outline my case in a factual manner to the regulator. Thanks WFB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Vwsham

Kyle,
    I’d like to also make a complaint with the regulator. Please can you provide me with details of where to lodge my complaint with eir, and receive a complaint number to pass onto comreg. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭eir: Thomas

Many thanks for your assistance Kyle.

I will need the following information for my ComReg complaint.

The actual date the 180 day plan was reduced to 30 days.

It appears that existing customers didn’t receive any communication of the change but -

Did Eir display any message on the customer’s account dashboard or top up screen ahead of the 180 day option being axed to alert customers?

I topped in the week before the changes and I don’t recall seeing anything but I would like confirmation so I can outline my case in a factual manner to the regulator. Thanks WFB.
    Hi William Frederick Burton,

I will try and get you an exact date but it was of my understanding that the plan to discontinue the 180-day pass was rolled out at the beginning of March and was done over a period of time. 

As soon as I have an update for you regarding an exact date I will let you know.

Thanks

Thomas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭eir: Thomas

Vwsham wrote: »
    Kyle,
    I’d like to also make a complaint with the regulator. Please can you provide me with details of where to lodge my complaint with eir, and receive a complaint number to pass onto comreg. Thanks
    You can log a formal complain on the link below - 

https://www.eir.ie/complaints/

Thanks 

Thomas

You can log a formal complain on the link below - 

https://www.eir.ie/complaints/

Thanks 

Thomas

Eir certainly make it very difficult to complain.

Can the reps please supply an email address for the Eir complaints department - your online form for is not fit for purpose

https://www.eir.ie/logacomplaint.jsp

It asks for an account number - I input my 085 xxxxxx number which belongs to the device).

It also requests a landline number before it allows you to submit your complaint. As this relates to a mobile broadband query many people won’t have a landline number. (However, the complaint won’t go through without one).

From this link Comreg says that the service provider must have:

"– An electronic means of contact – i.e. an email address or an online complaint form where the consumer can attach documents to send to the service provider if they need to as part of their complaint. The electronic means of contact should have no word character restrictions..."

The restrictions on the web form appear to contravene Comregs rules (allegedly).

Maybe try Comreg first about not being able to lodge a complaint in the way Comreg stipulates (consumerline@comreg.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Ten Pin wrote: »
    It's prepay mobile broadband 180 day pass the OP is asking about so won't have an account number.
    Anyway here is the page referred to, no 180 day pass listed now but was there last week.
    https://www.eir.ie/mobile/broadband/prepay/
    Hi Ten Pin ,

The prepay 180-day pass has been discontinued and replaced with the 50gb  30-day pass.

Usage statistics have shown that customers purchasing the 180-day pass are using their 50GB allowance early. Reducing the days to 30 creates value for money for the customer and allows high data users to avail of greater amounts in the time period they need.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks

Thomas

If that's the case there should be an option to buy a booster for the plan instead of reducing it to 30 days and calling it better value. It's clear that its being cancelled because it's very cheap for what it is and if eir can increase the cost 600% why not? The problem is its now terrible value so its just not worth having for numerous reasons. I would threaten to cancel my other services I have with eir, but I've never actually used them because of terrible decisions and services, seems that hasn't changed.. 

Oh and you don't have to waste your time replying to this or passing it on to the 'relevant departments' Clearly nothing will be done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

:D
    I checked with them and have received following answer:
    The intent is to provide subscribers with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different price plans.

As for cost, we selected initial values based upon data from the Open Eir and other adjustments made to top-up rewards before rebranding. Among other things, we're looking at average per-subscriber top-up rates on a daily basis, and we'll be making constant adjustments to ensure that subscribers have charges that are compelling, rewarding, and of course attainable via top-up service.

We appreciate the candid feedback, and the passion the community has put forth around the current topics here on boards.ie, our forums and across numerous social media outlets.

Our team will continue to make changes and monitor community feedback and update everyone as soon and as often as we can.

^^^^^

Dear God, the person who prepared that reply is completely wasted in Eir :D They really should become a government spin doctor. If that doesn’t work out I’m sure Terry Prone’s Communications Clinic will snap them up lol

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

I had a close call tonight. Found out that my 17-year daughter was plannng to move from 48 Conquer to Eir tomorrow as 48 Conquer didn’t give her enough data and Eir was €5 a month cheaper than 3 or Vodafone. I told her that I would be saving €30 for 6 months (or €5 a month) by cancelling the 180 day offer so I would give her that if she stayed away from Eir. She agreed and win-win as both happy ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 30,278 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Disappointing, even as somebody who sometimes used the 50gb per month

Averaging 30gb-45gb per month the usage would sometimes stretch further than a month
    So I might have been averaging 20€ spend per month
    Increasing the cost to 30€ a month, kills the value it offered

Also a bit surprised there wasn't a bit more notice about the change

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ardteist

This was a very useful product for a holiday home with intermittent use. I too purchased a €30 top up with the intention of purchasing another booster and then could not find it and apparently I am not entitled to a refund ? . 

It would be useful if users who knew of other better value / duration options with other providers posted them here. I would be happy to switch provided the signal was good in the area I'm in. That was the original reason I went with Eir/Meteor. Eir will be monitoring tops up and if they see their revenue fall off a cliff they will respond. Customers hate waste. Buying a 30 day booster than expires without being barely used is not something most customers would put up with. The lower data amount bundles of 15 GB and 2.5 GB are very poor value as well. 

All these devices that were using the Eir 180 bundles could also share a data connection with any smartphone over bluetooth or wifi as people figure out where to move their business. 

While there might not be a legal requirement to notify users of an up coming change in booster products, it is perplexing why Eir would not do it anyway. Why would a company go out of its way to antagonise customers ? And if it was an oversight why not apologise and admit it would have been helpful and considerate to do so irrespective of legal requirements and at least put a note to that affect in the affected accounts. If this is how the company culture treats customers I cannot imagine the staff are treated any better ? My thoughts are with Thomas, Kyle, Tracey and Sarah who have have to work at Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭JustMac

Was considering moving from TescoMobile to Eir for calls/texts/data but this single thread has made me decide to stay where I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Another disgruntled & soon to be, former customer.

Problem: Plan was too cheap as proved by its popularity
    Solution: Increase price by 600%, then.............

Spin it to:

Hey! Great news! We've listened to our customers regarding this plan & are HAPPY to announce a new & improved charge to make this plan EVEN BETTER value for money........

You asked, we answered, YES, a 600% price increase!

You are most very, very welcome!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Buffman

<snip> Promotion of other network removed

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

I used it for a club's laptop that only meet every two weeks, probably ever only used 10gb over the 180 days.
    <snip> Other network provider deal removed.
    Edit: I won't mention the other provider but unless eir have a package that beats 5 euro a month for 3gb they have lost another customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

I would have been happy with a] less data, b] a higher cost or c] a slightly shorter time to use it, eg 90 days or so.  This new 50gbs for 30 days is by far the worst value possible - it makes the 'offering' worthless to most people, who can get a 30 day add-on, with any amount of data to suit, at a much better rate from virtually any other provider.

Eir, you killed a golden opportunity to tweak this so everyone was a winner.  Sure, you probably resented providing low data users with a longer option at a sweet price, but why throw the baby out with the bath water? The longer time to use data was THE business edge here.  This new incarnation will die a very swift death, particularly when the people who topped up by an un-refundable €30 find out how they've been shafted.  

Not only does it suit no one, but you've succeeded spectacularly in driving other business to your competitors, as is evidenced in this thread. Even the more lucrative (to you) offerings in your arsenal will suffer as a result.  Madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Buffman

I see my above post was deleted for commercial reasons, but due to this Eir have already lost my 2 BB accounts to another network provider.

I'm delighted I copped the removal of this add-on before I wasted E60 non-refundable top-up for a product that was withdrawn without notice.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Can the reps please supply an email address for the Eir complaints department - your online form for is not fit for purpose

It asks for an account number - I input my 085 xxxxxx number which belongs to the device).

It also requests a landline number before it allows you to submit your complaint. As this relates to a mobile broadband query many people won’t have a landline number. (However, the complaint won’t go through without one).

Is there any chance the reps could provide an email address for your complaints department? A customer can’t make a complaint via your online complaint form without a landline number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Can the reps please supply an email address for the Eir  complaints department - your online form for is not fit for purpose

Is there any chance the reps could provide an email address for your complaints department? A customer can’t make a complaint via your online complaint form without a landline number.
    Just contact comreg and ask them. They will tell you to get back to Eir but it will be one more complaint they have heard about Eir plus comreg is usually quite helpful and tell you how to complain.

I have used comreg directly a couple of times for similar cases where Eir(com) had failed to provide a way for me to get an issue solved and it worked out well, in two cases my complaint was that Eir didn't provide a contact method, after contacting comreg that changed very quickly. 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

If you discover the holy grail of a complaints email, can you share it here please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

If you discover the holy grail of a complaints email, can you share it here please?

ccm@eir.ie

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I currently use this offer in my car for WiFi for the kids on trips.
    I rarely go near the limit, but the 180 day validity was the best part of it as I didn't need to be constantly topping up.

Do you have any similar offerings, even with a lower data limit, or am I stuck into topping up every 30 days now?
    If so what's the lowest top up per month that would be possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Mycro

Could somebody perhaps PM me the other options that were discussed from other providers?

I too have been a user of this 180 day plan and sorry to see it go. I’m also quite annoyed that we weren’t given notice of this as I have already cancelled a separate account with another provider to replace with this. I had also purchased a midi device for this which is now useless unless I want to pay eir 6 times the previous price.

• Advertisement

Advertisement