Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Many duplicate charges

Options
  • 23-03-2018 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there, 

I’m having a serious problem with me account and I’m hoping you can help. Over the past week, I've booked some flights for an upcoming trip. Overall, I made 5 bookings. Each booking consisted of 2 plane tickets and 2 seat purchases on the plane. For every booking, the flights and the seats appear as two transactions in my BOI account. For example:

1 transaction of €433 corresponds to my two plane tickets for one flight and another transaction of €27.12 corresponds to the payment of the seats we selected. All 5 bookings are like this and they all appear in the "Today's Transactions & Transaction In Progress" section of 365 Online. This is absolutely fine (though I'm wondering why week-old transactions are still in progress). All of these in-progress transactions amount to the total of my receipts, so all seems correct there.

The issue is that, while every flight booking I've made is still in progress, most of them have also appeared in the completed transactions section of 365 Online. It looks like they've been split in two and each set of seats and tickets has been charged separately. The €27.12 charge mentioned above, well there are now two charges of €13.56 in my completed transactions. The €433 payment, well there are now two €216.50 charges in the completed transactions.

Both the pending transactions and the completed transactions have been taken from my balance. I use a separate money app to track my transactions and I know with 100% certainty that I've been charged twice for most of my bookings. The discrepancy in my own records exactly equals the difference between why my flight receipts say I have paid and the total amount of charge Bank of Ireland has taken. 

This has caused my balance to go under the threshold for avoiding banking fees and I've already started to incur fees. This has me incredibly frustrated, as the fault is on your end. I'm extremely careful with how I manage my finances and I'm incurring fees for your mistake.

To sum up:
    • My flight receipts all add up to X amount.
    • My in-progress transactions add up to the same amount
    • some of those transactions have been split in two and completed but the original transaction is still in-progress.
    • all in-progress transactions and completed transactions have been taken from my balance. This has led to my account being overcharged by €983.12
    • I am now incurring banking charges due to this overcharge.

I have receipts, screenshots, and calculations available to prove that I have been overcharged by this amount. I would like the €983.12 refunded to my account ASAP. I'm sorry if my tone is harsh here, I know it's not the fault of whoever is reading this, I'm just incredibly frustrated that I could be overcharged by so much money.

Hoping for a speedy resolution to this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Tow

This is a 'feature' of BOI's banking system.  They will come up with one of several well trodden reasons.  To be honest, at this stage they appear to be institutionalized into thinking it is how credit/debit card banking works.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jane

mickmahady wrote: »
    Hi there,

I’m having a serious problem with me account and I’m hoping you can help. Over the past week, I've booked some flights for an upcoming trip. Overall, I made 5 bookings. Each booking consisted of 2 plane tickets and 2 seat purchases on the plane. For every booking, the flights and the seats appear as two transactions in my BOI account. For example:

1 transaction of €433 corresponds to my two plane tickets for one flight and another transaction of €27.12 corresponds to the payment of the seats we selected. All 5 bookings are like this and they all appear in the "Today's Transactions & Transaction In Progress" section of 365 Online. This is absolutely fine (though I'm wondering why week-old transactions are still in progress). All of these in-progress transactions amount to the total of my receipts, so all seems correct there.

The issue is that, while every flight booking I've made is still in progress, most of them have also appeared in the completed transactions section of 365 Online. It looks like they've been split in two and each set of seats and tickets has been charged separately. The €27.12 charge mentioned above, well there are now two charges of €13.56 in my completed transactions. The €433 payment, well there are now two €216.50 charges in the completed transactions.

Both the pending transactions and the completed transactions have been taken from my balance. I use a separate money app to track my transactions and I know with 100% certainty that I've been charged twice for most of my bookings. The discrepancy in my own records exactly equals the difference between why my flight receipts say I have paid and the total amount of charge Bank of Ireland has taken.

This has caused my balance to go under the threshold for avoiding banking fees and I've already started to incur fees. This has me incredibly frustrated, as the fault is on your end. I'm extremely careful with how I manage my finances and I'm incurring fees for your mistake.

To sum up:
    • My flight receipts all add up to X amount.
    • My in-progress transactions add up to the same amount
    • some of those transactions have been split in two and completed but the original transaction is still in-progress.
    • all in-progress transactions and completed transactions have been taken from my balance. This has led to my account being overcharged by €983.12
    • I am now incurring banking charges due to this overcharge.
    [*]

I have receipts, screenshots, and calculations available to prove that I have been overcharged by this amount. I would like the €983.12 refunded to my account ASAP. I'm sorry if my tone is harsh here, I know it's not the fault of whoever is reading this, I'm just incredibly frustrated that I could be overcharged by so much money.

Hoping for a speedy resolution to this.
    [*]
    Hi mickmahady,

Thanks for taking the time to post here on Boards.

It would appear that the airline has made pre-authorisation attempts for your flights, and then subsequently presented for a second authorisation of the same flights at an individual price. We're aware that some airlines do this, we're unsure why.

As pre-authorisation's attempt to collect available funds on your Visa Debit card, instead of completing the initial transaction, a new one is created, meaning that two attempts for the same transaction will present on your account.

One amount should debit and process fully and move to completed transactions, and the other amount should disappear and reflect on your balance in 3-5 business days.

In the unlikely event that both transactions debit, the airline who processed the payments will need to refund you.

Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Thanks again,

Jane.

Advertisement