Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster vs Scarlets, Sat 24th March 5:30pm, Sky Sports

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

The offiating tonight was an absolute disgrace. That said, I'm not a referee so I'm sure it was all fine so carry on. Stunned to get that win, better econd half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

For everyone frothing, you really shouldn't be listening to commentators on the laws iof the game. Double movement is actually a rugby league offence, the actual offence in rugby union is 'not releasing'. You are entitled to reach out and place the ball, but pushing it along the ground is actually a deliberate knock-on.
    15.5 The tackled Player
    (c) A tackled player may release the ball by putting it on the ground in any direction, provided this is done immediately.
    Sanction: Penalty kick

(d) A tackled player may release the ball by pushing it along the ground in any direction except forward, provided this is done immediately.
    Sanction: Penalty kick

A commando crawl, even a truncated one is not allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

prawnsambo wrote: »
    For everyone frothing, you really shouldn't be listening to commentators on the laws iof the game. Double movement is actually a rugby league offence, the actual offence in rugby union is 'not releasing'. You are entitled to reach out and place the ball, but pushing it along the ground is actually a knock-on.

I thought his arm movement immediately after the tackle was an over arm motion precisely to avoid rolling it along the ground

Don't forget
    22.4(e)

If a player is tackled near to the opponents’ goal line so that this player can immediately reach out and ground the ball on or over the goal line, a try is scored.

Players are generally allowed to get away with one additional body movement after forward momentum has stopped but that is unequivocally against the rules.
    The player in this case (who was it?) had stopped his forward momentum and then used his body to move forward a second time while reaching out.

The try absolutely should have been given, but it is also absolutely technically not a try.

Don't forget

Players are allowed to get away with one additional body movement after forward momentum has stopped but that is unequivcally against the rules.

The try absolutely should have been given, but it is also absolutely technically not a try.
    No they are not. They can only reach out, they can't move their body. You actually quoted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

For everyone frothing, you really shouldn't be listening to commentators on the laws iof the game. Double movement is actually a rugby league offence, the actual offence in rugby union is 'not releasing'. You are entitled to reach out and place the ball, but pushing it along the ground is actually a deliberate knock-on.

I'm sure I speak for every Munster fan here when I say . stop talking shïte

m sure I speak for every Munster fan here when I say . stop talking shïte

BBDBB wrote: »
    I thought his arm movement immediately after the tackle was an over arm motion precisely to avoid rolling it along the ground
    If he hadn't moved the rest of his body, it would have been fine.

And I'm listening to Ieuan Evans on about it again. Who I called out earlier in the match for another clanger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

To throw the cat amongst the pigeons Munsters final try probably shouldn't have been allowed. The passer started in a stationary position so the ball never could've went backward before going forward

No they are not. They can only reach out, they can't move their body. You actually quoted it.

Perhaps you should read my post before replying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

prawnsambo wrote:

And the rule you have quoted has absolutely nothing to do with what happened. He placed the ball immediately on/beyond the try line.

He didn't roll the ball whatsoever.

• Advertisement

If that’s the law and that’s the interpretation of the law then fair enough

However, we all know that any similar action hasn’t been interpreted that way before (in my memory) and I’d place serious money that it won’t be again

It was a poor decision, sadly not the only one tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭eigrod

It was. The poster you quoted mustn’t have seen it if he’s talking about pushing it along the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

as i said planks will be on saying ref is right

Clegg wrote: »
    To throw the cat amongst the pigeons Munsters final try probably shouldn't have been allowed. The passer started in a stationary position so the ball never could've went backward before going forward

Incorrect...as usual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I didn't see the game but that is a fantastic result.

Clegg wrote: »

BURN THE HERETIC

;-)

I read it. And it's wrong. You said 'body movement' while quoting the law which says "reach out".

You are tackled. You must release the ball when tackled, but can place it. At the try line, you can place if over the line. What's so hard to understand?

I didn't see the game but that is a fantastic result.

"Quotes"
    ;););)

I read it. And it's wrong. You said 'body movement' while quoting the law which says "reach out".

You are tackled. You must release the ball when tackled, but can place it. At the try line, you can place if over the line. What's so hard to understand?

Well.. you're wrong.. what is so hard to understand?.

• Advertisement

Well.. you're wrong.. what is so hard to understand?.
    When you actually quote the law and apply it, I'll be all ears. But one-liners are about as useful as tits on a bull.

Not that I'd expect anything else tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Watched the game, worst refereeing performance I've seen in my life and I'm not a young man.

When you actually quote the law and apply it, I'll be all ears. But one-liners are about as useful as tits on a bull.

You're still wrong , perhaps you should try and rejoice in your own teams victorys instead of trying to knock others.. for a change

You quoted a law that didn’t apply to what happened - something about pushing the ball along the ground. If you’re going to quote a law to us, at least be it one that applied to what happened.

The part where I said it wasn't technically a try but in general referees allow it anyway ¿

For you that seems impossible to understand because even after I suggested you read my post you still can't understand it.

Technically, the TMO made the right call. I've never seen a try disallowed for this kind of movement before. Do you understand yet or will you yet again mischaracterise what I argued?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Schorpio

For me, the difference between 15.5(c) [i.e. player placing the ball after being tackled] and 22.4(e) is in the reaching out bit which is permitted in 22.4, but not 15.5.

I've always presumed that this act of reaching out would allow things like torso rotation, but not the use of the legs for forward propulsion (basically as long as you don't 'step' forward with your legs knees, then it's likely fine). This has always been backed up by the precedent that we have seen over the past few years.

Either way, I would have awarded the try. And I think the vast majority of refs would have too.

....luckily it doesn't really matter now in the long run.

• Advertisement

You're still wrong , perhaps you should try and rejoice in your own teams victorys instead of trying to knock others.. for a change
    What a strange way you peer at the world. There seems to be no possibility that anyone could post in a neutral manner.

Is it really your belief that I'm against Munster because I agree with the ref who didn't award a try to them? Is that actually your thought porocess?

How revealing.

The part where I said it wasn't technically a try but in general referees allow it anyway ¿

For you that seems impossible to understand because even after I suggested you read my post you still can't understand it.

Technically, the TMO made the right call. I've never seen a try disallowed for this kind of movement before. Do you understand yet or will you yet again mischaracterise what I argued?
    Tbh, when people say generally refs allow this or I've seen that, I ignore it. No offence, but I'd like to see those examples rather than hearing about them.

My point in posting about this was that (yet again in the same match) we had commentators misquoting the laws and getting outraged about it. Which then gets the fans outraged and suddenly a good ref is the worst ref ever born. It's as tiresome as it's predictable.

What a strange way you peer at the world. There seems to be no possibility that anyone could post in a neutral manner.

Is it really your belief that I'm against Munster because I agree with the ref who didn't award a try to them? Is that actually your thought porocess?

How revealing.

No, you're against Munster because you're wrong...as usual ..
    But please continue... you're giving us a laugh.

Fair enough, can you provide another example where similar movement has resulted in a no try decision? Cos I can’t

Every other similar action I’ve seen has been un challenged and resulted in a try

@prawnsamboI've never seen a try disallowed for a small second movement forward that involved reaching out.

Can you provide some examples rather than insisting others prove you wrong?

@Schorpio he used his knees or elbow to move his body forwards about 6" while stretching out. Against the rules but always allowed. The ref had a great view of it, I think it might be a case of when the tmo drew his attention to a technically illegal movement forward he had no choice but to go along with the TMO.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, can you provide another example where similar movement has resulted in a no try decision? Cos I can’t

Every other similar action I’ve seen has been un challenged and resulted in a try

Ah he can't...and unless it's reported.. nothing happens.. coz all the mods are out like ;)

Ah he can't...and unless it's reported.. nothing happens.. coz all the mods are out like ;)
    All you've done is repeatedly tell him he's wrong in a snide manner. You haven't tried to engage with him, you've just been smug. You can disagree with someone and dislike their opinions without being childish.

I think you're mistaking who's getting the laugh, and at whom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

@Schorpio he used his knees or elbow to move his body forwards about 6" while stretching out. Against the rules but always allowed. The ref had a great view of it, I think it might be a case of when the tmo drew his attention to a technically illegal movement forward he had no choice but to go along with the TMO.
    did he use his left knee to propel himself along the ground? No. His knee moved but since it was not in contact with another surface, it did not propel him.
    It was yet another poor decision by Marius.

Why do I have to do this? :confused:

For the sake of argument, let's say there is such an example. Is that the correct application of the law? And does that make Mitrea wrong? And from memory, I can recall one where it was penalised because the placement came too long after the tackle.

In today's example, he propelled himself forward with his left knee and elbow before placing the ball. It was a small enough movement, but it was visible.

Why do I have to do this? :confused:

For the sake of argument, let's say there is such an example. Is that the correct application of the law? And does that make Mitrea wrong? And from memory, I can recall one where it was penalised because the placement came too long after the tackle.

In today's example, he propelled himself forward with his left knee and elbow before placing the ball. It was a small enough movement, but it was visible.

I was simply applying the direction you applied to those who opposed you, to you

Same criteria seems a reasonable approach to me, if it doesn’t to you, then no one is forcing you to do anything.

If you are correct, then there should be other similar examples. My contention is that I can’t recall another similar movement that ended with a similar outcome. I doubt I will see another one again

You’ve now changed your mind. Earlier you said it was disallowed because he pushed the ball along the ground. You’re making it up as you go along

Defunkd wrote: »
    did he use his left knee to propel himself along the ground? No. His knee moved but since it was not in contact with another surface, it did not propel him.
    It was yet another poor decision by Marius.
    You're not allowed move anything other than the arm with the ball in hand according to the laws. He used his knees or elbow to shift his entire body forward (and it wasn't momentum, he came to a stop after being tackled). That's inarguable to anyone who actually watches the replay.

The argument is whether the law should have been applied in such a literal sense, particularly given it doesn't seem to be in general. It was initially awarded even though the referee had a clear unobstructed view of the movement. It was unfair to disallow it and if it had cost Munster the game I would have been raging even as someone who doesn't enjoy Munster.

Segueing into pretending that he didn't perform an additional body movement is just silly.

I watched the Battle of Nantes last night with a friend and it was shocking to see the instant release when tackled. We've come a long way from then!

eigrod wrote: »
    You’ve now changed your mind. Earlier you said it was disallowed because he pushed the ball along the ground. You’re making it up as you go along
    No I didn't. You're quoting me incorrectly there. I was paraphrasing the law, not describing what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Sobering game for a few if these lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The 2nd disallowed try should have been allowed. The last try was a forward pass. Karma balanced in the end. Should definitely have been a card for that trip on Arnold. Munster overall put in a really spirited performance and deserved the result they got. I'm delighted with that given their injury profile and last weeks capitulation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Just in from the game, I thought we were in for a long night after the first 5 mins, but Munster got their act together and pushed up in defense and squeezed them out wide for the rest of the game. Pack did their job, scrum was immense, Nash and Arnold were impressive. Hart needs to learn how to box kick. Surely Copeland starts week?

i don't think he is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Elvisjuice wrote: »
    i don't think he is

I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

"You're against Munster because you're wrong"? :confused: I'd expect a higher calibre of debate than that tbh. Enough of the bickering, please.

Attack the post, not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XU2n7FHoDg

Full match there with the Cronin incident at 1:50. I can't make up my mind if its a try or not. There's movement of the lower body, but I'm not convinced he propels himself forward. I think the try should probably stand because I don't think it meets the "clear and obvious" requirement to be disallowed.

kuang1 wrote: »
    I do.

good for you

Flincher wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XU2n7FHoDg

Full match there with the Cronin incident at 1:50. I can't make up my mind if its a try or not. There's movement of the lower body, but I'm not convinced he propels himself forward. I think the try should probably stand because I don't think it meets the "clear and obvious" requirement to be disallowed.
    Well at least you can see that the ref and TMO had something to base their decision on. Which is a far cry from the absolute hysteria on here when it was disallowed.

My main issue is with the commentators. Whatever about the average fan, these guys are ex-pros and should know the laws. Yet today, we had at least three incidents where they were flat wrong and got outraged about it. And there was one in the Leinster match too when Barry Daly scored and that's even carried over to The 42.

Some of the posters here are far more knowledgable than these guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Well at least you can see that the ref and TMO had something to base their decision on. Which is a far cry from the absolute hysteria on here when it was disallowed.

My main issue is with the commentators. Whatever about the average fan, these guys are ex-pros and should know the laws. Yet today, we had at least three incidents where they were flat wrong and got outraged about it. And there was one in the Leinster match too when Barry Daly scored and that's even carried over to The 42.

Some of the posters here are far more knowledgable than these guys.
    Commentators should be more knowledgeable but just because they played pro doesnt mean they should know the laws. Many dont have a clue.

• Advertisement

Commentators should be more knowledgeable but just because they played pro doesnt mean they should know the laws. Many dont have a clue.
    :D

Yeah. But that's the fallacy they earn their corn from.

Edit: They also watch a lot of matches for a living, you'd think they'd pick some stuff up along the way.

Advertisement