Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster vs Scarlets, Sat 24th March 5:30pm, Sky Sports

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Well at least you can see that the ref and TMO had something to base their decision on. Which is a far cry from the absolute hysteria on here when it was disallowed.

My main issue is with the commentators. Whatever about the average fan, these guys are ex-pros and should know the laws. Yet today, we had at least three incidents where they were flat wrong and got outraged about it. And there was one in the Leinster match too when Barry Daly scored and that's even carried over to The 42.

Some of the posters here are far more knowledgable than these guys.

To be honest, watching live I couldn't believe it was disallowed and along with most of the East Terrace I aired my disbelief using most unparliamentary language, while calling into to question Mr. Mitrea's vision or lack thereof, the moral fibre of the Italians, and Mrs Mitrea's promiscuity.

That said, on re-watching I can see where the TMO is coming from. There's a hit of double movement there, but not enough to disallow the try in my opinion.

Fully agree with you on the commentators. A key part of their job is to be able to explain the intricacies of the laws to viewers. If they're not up to speed on the laws they're not doing their job.

CoDy1 wrote: »
    Just in from the game, I thought we were in for a long night after the first 5 mins, but Munster got their act together and pushed up in defense and squeezed them out wide for the rest of the game. Pack did their job, scrum was immense, Nash and Arnold were impressive. Hart needs to learn how to box kick. Surely Copeland starts week?

I thought it was going to get ugly after the first try. In fairness, the lads showed great resolve to keep the Scarlets to just the one score after being on the ropes for the first 30 minutes. Scarlets were brilliant early on. Their passing game is so good that it allows them maintain great width in attack, and we really looked stretched at time. It was like watching France in the late 90's at times - I felt that familiar feeling of fear in the stomach every time they went wide.

I'm a little bit less excited about Tadhg Beirne after tonight because I wasn't really impressed by his work in the tight. Some of his handling and offloading is class, but I can't imagine we'll get great value out of it. I'm not saying he won't be a great addition, but tonight was my first time seeing

We really got a stranglehold on the game in the second half. I thought Hart had a better second 40 which really helped. Whatever van Graan tweaked at halftime seemed to work because we looked a little more comfortable in defence.

Copeland is a tough one. He really blows hot and cold but he's after stringing a run of really impressive performances together. I'd be worried about the lack of balance in the backrow with himself, CJ and POM, and I can't see either of the latter two being left out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

That was some win, great work from the full squad as mentioned already the officials had a howler tonight, thankfully it didn't matter tongue result.

We held them scoreless for about 70mins and they left without a LBP.

Only real negative was the fresh injury to TOD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

A fresh injury to TOD? Ah feck that's a disaster if he's out.

A fresh injury to TOD? Ah feck that's a disaster if he's out.

He got injured in the ruck a phase before Copeland's try. O'Donoghue hit the ruck at force so it'd be an awful sickener if that was the cause. Van Graan's initial comments don't bode well.

The bigger worry for me is Scannell went off for a HIA and didn't return. We're really down to the bare bones in the centre if he is out. Struggling to piece together a backline at this rate.

We could field the following backline next week (injured alternative in brackets)

Hanrahan (Zebo), Nash (Conway), Arnold (Farrell, Taute), Goggin (Scannell), Wooten (Earls), Keatley (Bleyendaal), Murray

Is Sweetnam injured or just out of the picture recently?

• Advertisement

Sweetnam saws the 24th man last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Has he been injured or just fallen behind Wooten and Nash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

prawnsambo wrote:
    I think you're mistaking who's getting the laugh, and at whom.

I can tell you 100% that none of the rest of us are laughing at your tiresome handbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭paddyref

Oh oh Toulon running riot against Clermont 35-0 after 36mins 😱

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

eagle eye wrote: »
    I can tell you 100% that none of the rest of us are laughing at your tiresome handbags.
    Yeah, it's only eighteen hours ago and still a hot topic. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I for one am riveted by this mini soap opera

The whole who is laughing at whom plot line is a real ratings winner for the Irish rugby demographic

BBDBB wrote: »

The whole who is laughing at whom plot line is a real ratings winner for the Irish rugby demographic
    In fairness, the grammer was exemplary. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

I've got stomach flu...I'm not laughing anymore :(

I've got stomach flu...I'm not laughing anymore :(
    Had that after Christmas. My sympathies. :(

Edit: Just in case you were tempted to ask. No it was not a bad prawn sambo. :D

Had that after Christmas. My sympathies. :(

The bathroom is my only buddy today :)

The bathroom is my only buddy today :)
    I was playing golf when it hit me. Every time I picked up the ball, I felt I was going to leave my dinner in its place. :(

Got home and the chills were so bad, I was shivering in four layers sitting in front of the fire.

Hit the leaba and stay there till it passes would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Pity about the spelling ;)

Pity about the spelling ;)
    Touché :D

jacothelad wrote: »
    Really?
    The grammar was fine though. :P

• Advertisement

Missed the second half of this game but I saw a clip earlier of an apparent disallowed try from Cronin yesterday, looked like a bizarre decision to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

The trip was a bonkers decision too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

leakyboots wrote: »
    The trip was a bonkers decision too

Munster should be happy they came yesterday. Use up the bad luck in a game you won and hope they go your way next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Copeland had a great game last night - the first real stand-out performance I've seen of him at Munster. I wonder where it went wrong for him, was he injured?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Copeland had a great game last night - the first real stand-out performance I've seen of him at Munster. I wonder where it went wrong for him, was he injured?

Tbf he's had some nice games this season, even a well deserved mom last month..he's a good player... but keeping him would perhaps stunt the development of younger guys coming thru

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Tbf he's had some nice games this season, even a well deserved mom last month..he's a good player... but keeping him would perhaps stunt the development of younger guys coming thru

Well I confess I rarely see full Munster games these days (or any province for that matter). I guess he suffers from being a 6/8, of which Munster are fairly well stocked in Stander, POM and JOD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

3 motm awards in 4 games iirc? Too little too late I guess. Also jack of all trades master of none with his flitting between back row and second row. No nailed on position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Missed the second half of this game but I saw a clip earlier of an apparent disallowed try from Cronin yesterday, looked like a bizarre decision to me.

It's a bizarre scenario - refs seem to be inventing arbitrary reason/rules to make decisions at times. He has to place the ball immediately (he did) without pushing the ball forward along the ground (he didn't). Yet the ref was talking about pushing forward with his legs... not sure what law he's referring to!

(Still, there is precedent though. I remember this one from years back - still can't believe we got away with it! Cohen try ruled out)

This double movement is a figment of the refs' imaginations. It's up there with "you have to let the player get back up" (you don't) and "you have to let him go 10 metres" (you don't).

I have to laugh too at how refs handle the tackle/breakdown. The laws say the tackled player has to release immediately; it doesn't say "he only has to release the ball immediately if an opponent is jackelling over it". Yet, that's exactly how refs call it. It seems to me they're on the lookout for patterns / body language rather than strict application of the laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

who_me wrote: »
    It's a bizarre scenario - refs seem to be inventing arbitrary reason/rules to make decisions at times. He has to place the ball immediately (he did) without pushing the ball forward along the ground (he didn't). Yet the ref was talking about pushing forward with his legs... not sure what law he's referring to!

Double movement is when a player uses an arm or legs to propel himself forward. Cronin did use his right arm to lift his body so he could reach out but he didn't propel himself forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

All of the rules that are described as being in the refs imagination above do actually exist, it’s just they don’t exist explicitly as laws and are just interpretations of existing laws that people misunderstand some times. Double movement is one of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

How did Hanrahan play on Saturday night?

I see Zebo is now a potential injury concern for the Toulon game.

WTV's blog

TRK's - The Wally Ratings

Some photos from the game & more here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

mystic86 wrote: »
    How did Hanrahan play on Saturday night?

I see Zebo is now a potential injury concern for the Toulon game.

He's not a 15 at all and his positioning and play was not great. He grew into the game but I would seriously worry about him against Toulon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Made one nice break though:

2018-03-25-11_59_02.gif

Perhaps should have gone left instead of right...but I'm not a pro rugby player!

🤪

Advertisement