If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receiver and bookshelf speakers

Options
  • 23-03-2018 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Following on from a previous thread here https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057812611/1#post105359688 never did pull the trigger in the end so just wondering what deals are available now? I'd love to get the Yamaha RN602 or something with similar functionality (airplay, spotify etc.) but obviously its price is putting me off. I'll be primarily using this to connect my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon TT that I got off you guys before with it but want to be able to stream as well. If my budget allows I wouldn't mind having a/v receiver to connect a TV and games console up to as well. I'm asking a lot I know!

I'd ideally like to keep it under €500 for speakers, receiver and cables but can stretch a little. Open to all suggestions.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi folks

Following on from a previous thread here https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057812611/1#post105359688 never did pull the trigger in the end so just wondering what deals are available now? I'd love to get the Yamaha RN602 or something with similar functionality (airplay, spotify etc.) but obviously its price is putting me off. I'll be primarily using this to connect my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon TT that I got off you guys before with it but want to be able to stream as well. If my budget allows I wouldn't mind having a/v receiver to connect a TV and games console up to as well. I'm asking a lot I know!

I'd ideally like to keep it under €500 for speakers, receiver and cables but can stretch a little. Open to all suggestions.
    Hey Ivefoundgod.

Thanks for coming back to us.

I had a check over the previous thread and I could still stand by the deals originally quoted by John on the Pm5005 and the A9010 bundles.

If the RN602 is a bit outside your budget there is the Yamaha RN303 retailing at £299.00
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202841-rn303d.aspx

You could pair it with the Bronze 2's for £500 or 588 Euro as a bundle deal.

If you wanted to move to an A/V Receiver you could perhaps look at the Yamaha RXV483 priced at £249.00.
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202681-rxv483.aspx
    I could offer a deal on this with the Bronze 2's for £469.00 or 550 Euro.

If you went away from the Bronze 2's and went for the NEW Monitor 100's I could offer the:
    RN602 and Monitor 100's for £509 or 599 Euro
    RN303 with Monitor 100's for £480 or 564 Euro
    RXV483  and the Monitor 100's for £434 or 510 Euro.

You would require a phono pre amp to be able to connect your turntable to the A/V Receiver.
    Project make the PhonoBox MM for £60 or 65.00 Euro
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-201010-phono-box-mm.aspx

Let me know what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Hi Kenny

Thanks for coming back so quickly, just looking at the yamaha a/v receiver, would I see much benefit in going for the rxv583 instead? Looks like it has dolby atmos but couldn't see huge difference apart from that?

Can't seem to find the monitor 100s on the site, would you mind linking them so I can have a look thanks.

Edit: I have a preamp for the TT already, thanks though.

Hi Kenny

Thanks for coming back so quickly, just looking at the yamaha a/v receiver, would I see much benefit in going for the rxv583 instead? Looks like it has dolby atmos but couldn't see huge difference apart from that?

Can't seem to find the monitor 100s on the site, would you mind linking them so I can have a look thanks.

Edit: I have a preamp for the TT already, thanks though.
    Hi Ivefoundgod.

Yeah the main difference between the 483 and the 583 would be the Dobly Atmos on the 583.
    Unless you plan to setup a full 5.1.2 system then this would be of no benefit over the 483.

Apologies for leaving out the link to the 100's. Here it is below:
    https://www.richersounds.com/moni-audio-monitor-100-blk-pr.html

Thanks Kenny

Hard to make up my mind, think I'm set on the bronze 2s for speakers. Is there any receiver that offers similar functionality to the 483 as in streaming, airplay, spotify etc? Doesn't look like the onkyo option does. Think i'll just stick to audio for now and worry about an a/v receiver when I've a room ready for a 5.1 setup. Thanks

Thanks Kenny

Hard to make up my mind, think I'm set on the bronze 2s for speakers. Is there any receiver that offers similar functionality to the 483 as in streaming, airplay, spotify etc? Doesn't look like the onkyo option does. Think i'll just stick to audio for now and worry about an a/v receiver when I've a room ready for a 5.1 setup. Thanks
    Hi Ivefoundgod.

No other real options in A/V receivers around the 483 price point unfortunately.

Let me know once you have had a think over things.

• Advertisement

Thanks Kenny

I think I'll go for the Onkyo A-9010 with the bronze 2s. What cables would I need to get them up and running? Also wondering is there any speaker stands that would go with the bronze 2s?

Thanks Kenny

I think I'll go for the Onkyo A-9010 with the bronze 2s. What cables would I need to get them up and running? Also wondering is there any speaker stands that would go with the bronze 2s?
    Hi Ivefoundgod,

You would need speaker cable between the amp and speakers and RCA cables from the pre amp to the amp. We sell speaker cable by the meter so it depends how much you'd need for your system. I would recommend the Soundstyle Z2 stands for the Bronze 2s, they retail at £79.95.

If you want to go ahead with that drop me a PM with your contact number and how much cable you would need and I'll give a price for the cable and call you to process the order.

Thanks Kenny

Hi Ivefoundgod,

You would need speaker cable between the amp and speakers and RCA cables from the pre amp to the amp. We sell speaker cable by the meter so it depends how much you'd need for your system. I would recommend the Soundstyle Z2 stands for the Bronze 2s, they retail at £79.95.

If you want to go ahead with that drop me a PM with your contact number and how much cable you would need and I'll give a price for the cable and call you to process the order.
    Thanks kenny, I'm just leaving work now so will check what cable lengths i need when i get home and PM you then. Thanks for your help.

Thanks Kenny

Hi Ivefoundgod,

Thanks kenny, I'm just leaving work now so will check what cable lengths i need when i get home and PM you then. Thanks for your help.
    No problem at all Ivefoundgod.

Drop me over the length and I'll work out a price for you. I might be able to include it free if its not too many meters.

Hi Kenny

Thanks for all your help here with this, delighted with the gear. Now looking to add a subwoofer to my setup, any recommendations? Don't want to spend huge money as my music taste is not bass heavy but just want to flesh out the sound a bit when watching movies etc so would like to keep it around the €150-200 range. I know that probably limits my options but just wondering whats out there in that range. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi Kenny

Thanks for all your help here with this, delighted with the gear. Now looking to add a subwoofer to my setup, any recommendations? Don't want to spend huge money as my music taste is not bass heavy but just want to flesh out the sound a bit when watching movies etc so would like to keep it around the €150-200 range. I know that probably limits my options but just wondering whats out there in that range. Thanks.
    Hi Ivefoundgod.

Glad you are enjoying your setup.

You could add in the Cambridge SX120 which packs a decent punch priced at 179.99 euro
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-12468-sx120.aspx

Or there is the Q Acoustics 2070i at a little over budget priced at 229.99 euro
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-11480-graphite-309402.aspx

Hi folks

Have recently had some issues with the receiver where it is turning off randomly when in use. There's no real pattern to it, it just shuts off suddenly. I've googled it and most suggest it's an issue with loose speaker cable but I've checked all of that and all is as it should be. Is there anything else I need to check or is the unit faulty?

Hi folks

Have recently had some issues with the receiver where it is turning off randomly when in use. There's no real pattern to it, it just shuts off suddenly. I've googled it and most suggest it's an issue with loose speaker cable but I've checked all of that and all is as it should be. Is there anything else I need to check or is the unit faulty?
    Hey Ivefoundgod.

Sorry to hear you are having some issues.

Usually when an amp switches itself off it goes into protect mode which is to protect itself from damage. 
    Does this happen at normal volume or is it at higher volumes?

If you have disconnected all the cables and rewired the system and still no luck the only other thing you could try is disconnecting the speaker cables from the rear of the amp and then run it as normal (play a source through it) and see if it still happens.
    If it does it with no speakers connected then I would think the amp could be faulty. If it does not happen them the issue lies with either the cable or the speakers. (although I would be 95% confident in the Monitor Audio brand to not develop a fault).

Let me know the out come and we can take it from there.

Hey Ivefoundgod.

Usually when an amp switches itself off it goes into protect mode which is to protect itself from damage. 

If you have disconnected all the cables and rewired the system and still no luck the only other thing you could try is disconnecting the speaker cables from the rear of the amp and then run it as normal (play a source through it) and see if it still happens.
    If it does it with no speakers connected then I would think the amp could be faulty. If it does not happen them the issue lies with either the cable or the speakers. (although I would be 95% confident in the Monitor Audio brand to not develop a fault).

Hi Richard

Finally had a chance to test this out today. I disconnected everything as you suggested and ran it through Bluetooth. Unfortunately its still disconnecting. The longest it ran for without stopping was 35 minutes. Most times it would turn off after about 10-20 minutes. I set a timer just for curiosity.

Is there anything else I could try? Have plenty of time on my hands over the next week or so.

Hey Ivefoundgod.

Hi Richard

Finally had a chance to test this out today. I disconnected everything as you suggested and ran it through Bluetooth. Unfortunately its still disconnecting. The longest it ran for without stopping was 35 minutes. Most times it would turn off after about 10-20 minutes. I set a timer just for curiosity.

Is there anything else I could try? Have plenty of time on my hands over the next week or so.
    Hey Richard.

Sorry to hear that you are still having issues with the receiver.

If its still switching off with no speakers or speaker cables connected to it then it sounds like the unit itself is faulty.

If you could return it to us here at the Belfast store we can get it tested and then off for repair.

If you PM your address I can locate your account on our system.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.