Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I get my money back from Specsavers?

Options
  • 23-03-2018 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice as to how I can get my money back from Specsavers.

It's quite a long story but basically I'm very dissatisfied with the service I've received from them. I've tried to complain twice but they haven't been pleasant to deal with and I feel like everything I'm saying is falling on deaf ears. Has anyone here ever been in a situation where you were able to get your money back from them?

I know Specsavers probably vary a lot but in relation to the particular one I went to, I have honestly never had such a bad consumer experience! It was the complete opposite of what I had expected:( I would strongly advise people to be careful and ask around about Specsavers a lot before you decide to deal with them- I wouldn't want you to end up in the same situation that I now find myself in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

Why would you expect your money back?

Did they fulfil the service they were contracted to do?
    Is the product fit for purpose?
    Im assuming glasses tho they do hearing aids and contacts too.

There is a difference between being unhappy with the manner in which you were dealt with being unsatisfied with the with the product you received.
    a little more detail on whats wrong might assist.

PS from the specsavers website
    At Specsavers, we aim to bring you the highest standards of service and expertise. All our stores are locally owned by professional opticians whose priority is to offer the best in eye care. That’s why you’ll find this promise in all our stores:

“We want you to be completely happy with your purchase at Specsavers. If you have any concerns within three months of the date of purchase, we will put it right. No quibble, no fuss.”
    Your statutory rights are not affected. Please ask in store for full details.

They offer to put it right - and give you a link to contact customer services.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

<SNIP>

If the service or goods you purchased do not meet the terms of the Sale of Goods and Services Act then you have a right to seek recompense.
    (You can see a brief of the act here . Changing your mind about an item or finding staff rude etc. isn’t included
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html)
    The retailer has a choice as to wether to offer you a refund a repair or a replacement.
    After that you can go to the SCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Juicystar11

Hi Xterminator and splinter65,
    Thank you for your input, It's very much appreciated:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

The wrong prescription you probably have a legitimate grievance.

As for the frames, did you not try them on at all?

I go to Specsavers myself and I always try on frames before I buy them. If they slide down the nose I just squeeze the the two pads a bit closer together.

• Administrators Posts: 53,846 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How different are the two prescriptions? Don't think it's overly unusual for there to be minor variance in your eye test results across opticians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What is the difference between the Specsavers prescription and another one?

Eye tests are not incredibly accurate - a quarter diopter is nothing and even half a diopter I'd consider to be within the margin of error. Small differences are not significant.

I wouldn't expect anywhere to post a prescription these days - did you ask the original franchiser - remember, this is a franchise, not a centrally owned chain - for email as an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

I went to specsavers last year I think and I'll never go again. They upped the strength on both eyes significantly and told me.hprror stories about the condition of my eyes and that they were certain I had keratoconus. I had awful headaches and got a refund 2-3 days later and went back to my usual optician in Tesco.

He tested my eyes again and said there's no way I had keratoconus and there was much of a muchness in what my glasses from 2 years ago had and what he could give me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I go to Specsavers for my test. They had a sorry and referred me to an optomologist in Fairview who do a thorough check on my eyes every 12 months.
    I get my prescription from Specsavers and by online.

Why you couldn't have gone back to the store instead of phoning is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I have been using specsavers for the past 20 years, different branches, and never an issue that could not be resolved.
    When I have had glasses that have not fitted correctly (it happens) I have gone back in to them and they have re-adjusted there and then. No quibble.
    One I had an issue with the eye test they did where they did not do a glasses and contact check but they resolved that free of charge.

Going in to the branch and talking with them reasonably has always worked for me.

• Administrators Posts: 53,846 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Maybe go in and see if you can exchange for a pair of prescription sunglasses? Though after three months I’m not sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement