Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Case recommendations?

Options
  • 23-03-2018 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a new case for my next pc as I plan on keeping my existing pc as it is.

I need something large, currently have a Coolermaster HAF but it rattles and I plan on leaving it alone as a second pc. What I need is something at least as roomy, larger isn't an issue, and with air filters everywhere. Only need headphone/mic and some newer usb ports on the front. Aesthetics are not important at all, don't need anything on display and not bothered with lighting as it will be switched off. Something that's easy to open and work in is a big bonus.

So, what's on the market that's wort looking at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It depends, are you more focused on thermals or noise?

For thermals, only the Silverstone PM01/RL06/RV02 come close to the HAF.
    For noise, Bitfenix Shogun or BeQuiet Pure Base 600.
    Fractal Meshify C is a jack-of-all trades.

What's the budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

No budget in mind, would rather have the right case as I'll be stuck with it for longer than anything I put inside.
    I don't plan on doing liquid cooling for everything but I do like having a closed loop on the CPU as I can hang the radiator somewhere out of the way of the mobo.
    Weight isn't a concern as it'll never leave this room once it's in place.
    Quiet would be nice and I don't intend on going cheap with the fans. I already have a nice quiet Seasonic PSU for it so it would be a shame to drop it into something that sounds like a hoover.
    I'll pay more for something that keeps out dust and is easy to maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Can't go wrong with NZXT stuff imo. Their fans are decent and the cases are great. I have a H440 and it's a great all round case. Not too big or small, easy to work with and clean and it looks great if you like the minimal clean look.

There's no 5.5 inch bays though so if you need blue ray/ dvd drives then it's a no go. It's also quite pricey. There might be better cases in that price range these days. Most of the cases are gone full on flashy led with glass all over the place though.

My only gripe with the H440 is the lack of a fan controller. There's a 10 fan hub on the back but you can't control the speeds to anything connected to it so they are stuck at 100%. It's not quiet out of the box. You either need to tinker with the molex power into it or buy a voltage controller to connect between them and you can't use the a front controller as there are no bays for them.

The Fractal Design Define R5 is probably the one to go for if silence is your main goal though. I haven't worked with it but it's supposed to be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

kowloon wrote: »
    I'm looking for a new case for my next pc as I plan on keeping my existing pc as it is.

I need something large, currently have a Coolermaster HAF but it rattles and I plan on leaving it alone as a second pc. What I need is something at least as roomy, larger isn't an issue, and with air filters everywhere. Only need headphone/mic and some newer usb ports on the front. Aesthetics are not important at all, don't need anything on display and not bothered with lighting as it will be switched off. Something that's easy to open and work in is a big bonus.

So, what's on the market that's wort looking at?

I'm Kinda in the same boat myself needing a full tower due to lack of desk space for the likes of a Define or Phantek mid-tower case, so I've been keeping an eye out to replace my ageing HAF with something similar.

http://www.raijintek.com/en/products_detail.php?ProductID=71

zofos_evo-03.png

This looks like it could be it, just waiting on the reviews to roll in.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 eddieb88

Used the Fractal Meshify C recently for my build, excellent all rounder and looks good,,

not sure if you want to go bigger than that though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

I have the Fractal Design Define R5, great case, quiet and very adaptable for future upgrades.
    Not sure if it's large enough for you though, mid-tower?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fractal-Design-Define-Computer-Case/dp/B00Q2Z15PG/

There is a newer R6 version out, I'm sure it's great, but probably €50-60 more for that one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaxLG2hCgo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Be Quiet! Pro 900 Is really nice.

ImageServer.php?ID=0704fa771@be-quiet.net&omitPreview=true&.jpg

All Eyes On Rafah

Advertisement