Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eviction letter - Clause help

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

davo10 wrote: »
    Rubbish. Property speculation as a concept is as old as humanity. Since the day the first form of boundary markings were erected, people considered property as an asset, not a liability.

Do you think people in the 90s only purchased properties as their primary residence? What do you think people rented in the 90s? I was a student in the late 80s and I rented a house/apartment and I pretty sure the owner considered it an asset.

I think the majority of people in the 80s and 90s bought homes as a primary residence.
    I think house prices in the 80s and early 90s and the mortgages given were inline with a model that looked homes as a liability in the sense the loans had to be affordable and payable.
    Let's not forget interest rates in the 80s went above 16%.

When I say asset I mean asset inline with an investment that will grow, that people will actually make money off their investment on the basis that their investment will be worth more this year than it was last year.
    Banks started to factor this into their loan practices and the model was changed and loans got out of control......

But don't' listen to me I am sure you know what you are talking about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

http://www.ucd.ie/geary/static/publications/workingpapers/gearywp201306.pdf

Home ownership % peaked in Ireland in the 1970's and decreased thereafter. Which is a change in historical trends.
    Primarily because of extensive government supports and the withdrawal of that intervention thereafter. At which point it was increasingly driven solely by market forces.
    This is a pattern that has been repeated the world over. High home owner ship is driven by govt intervention and regulation.

How market forces, the model, hasn't changed. What changed was govt policy.

In the 80's and 90's there where whole swathes of the Dublin and other cities that were almost rental villages, of all types of housing including bedsits.
    Either students, or low income families. A lot of that has vanished. No sense of vast student areas anymore.
    But because there was supply and competition, it kept rents low, and the costs low. As soon as supply was reduced and cost increased rents rose.

We are still in the same cycle. There is no significant activity from the Govt to increase supply, or govt supports to increase supply.
    Rather the opposite the Govt (and certain interest groups) are driving small Landlords out in favour of large funds, who sole aim is to drive up rents and property prices in the short term.
    The vast majority of small Landlords were mainly in it for a long term investment, or they were trapped with property they couldn't get rid of.

What you will be left with is no social housing, and vast amounts of housing being controlled by large profit driven investment funds, often foreign based.
    This is what happened in London. We are repeating the same mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If I were you I would contact the RTB, the boilerplate notice I've seen on the RTB web side says that the tenant has 28 days to open a dispute with the LL or RTB after notice is served. Was that in the notice you gave her, if so that has long lapsed. Call the RTB be honest with them and see what they say. The put that to the tenant, she can put it to Focus Ireland / Council. If she's not spinning a yarn she'll be gone. Has she somewhere to go, will she lose that if things are delayed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Browney7 wrote: »
    I'd anticipate he was alluding to ending the tenancy after 4 years on the grounds of not granting a further part 4 instead of seeking to terminate due to renovations

That seems an option also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

beauf wrote: »
    http://www.ucd.ie/geary/static/publications/workingpapers/gearywp201306.pdf

Home ownership % peaked in Ireland in the 1970's and decreased thereafter. Which is a change in historical trends.
    Primarily because of extensive government supports and the withdrawal of that intervention thereafter. At which point it was increasingly driven solely by market forces.
    This is a pattern that has been repeated the world over. High home owner ship is driven by govt intervention and regulation.

How market forces, the model, hasn't changed. What changed was govt policy.

In the 80's and 90's there where whole swathes of the Dublin and other cities that were almost rental villages, of all types of housing including bedsits.
    Either students, or low income families. A lot of that has vanished. No sense of vast student areas anymore.
    But because there was supply and competition, it kept rents low, and the costs low. As soon as supply was reduced and cost increased rents rose.

We are still in the same cycle. There is no significant activity from the Govt to increase supply, or govt supports to increase supply.
    Rather the opposite the Govt (and certain interest groups) are driving small Landlords out in favour of large funds, who sole aim is to drive up rents and property prices in the short term.
    The vast majority of small Landlords were mainly in it for a long term investment, or they were trapped with property they couldn't get rid of.

What you will be left with is no social housing, and vast amounts of housing being controlled by large profit driven investment funds, often foreign based.
    This is what happened in London. We are repeating the same mistakes.

The model and I mean mathematical model has changed, I will get to this later today.

Strangely enough my Margin Loan model I am writing is overdue and I need to get off boards!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

If I were you I would contact the RTB, the boilerplate notice I've seen on the RTB web side says that the tenant has 28 days to open a dispute with the LL or RTB after notice is served. Was that in the notice you gave her, if so that has long lapsed. Call the RTB be honest with them and see what they say. The put that to the tenant, she can put it to Focus Ireland / Council. If she's not spinning a yarn she'll be gone. Has she somewhere to go, will she lose that if things are delayed

The RTB is not an advisory service. Even if the 28 days has lapsed, if the landlord makes a claim for overholding the validity of the notice will be checked. If it is not valid, it won't be upheld. It takes an adjudication to get a definitive answer unless there is an appeal.

Advertisement