Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First and last frost dates for Cork?

Options
  • 23-03-2018 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,680 ✭✭✭

Hi.

What are the first and last frost dates in Cork? Near Cork City to be precise.

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

This is quite impossible to answer as the years vary, I mean who would have thought there would be lying snow on Paddy’s day with more forecast for next weekend.
    I’m a long way from cork but really nobody will give you a definite date.

Here in Cavan I’ve seen frost kill plants up to second week in May and the first frosts from early September on the back of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That's like how long is a piece of string. There are early or late frosts most years and severity is a major factor. Why do you ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,680 ✭✭✭Worztron

That's like how long is a piece of string. There are early or late frosts most years and severity is a major factor. Why do you ask?

Hi Ariana Round Bobsled. I ask because it's useful to know.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

How about average dates then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Odelay

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi Srameen. I ask because it's useful to know.

With all respect we need a bit of context. Is it for your life support or daffodils?

• Advertisement

Odelay wrote: »
    With all respect we need a bit of context. Is it for your life support or daffodils?

What? 'life support'?

It's for planting in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

Many plants can survive frost so its a complicated question to know weather or not there has been a frost overnight at times. I planted some Geum flower seeds in autumn with seed from the ones already flowering in the garden and although not growing much have survived outside right through the worst of the winter along with some lettuce plants I did not get to plant out last year. Sometimes it is new growth that is more prone to damage and this can be set back by a late frost whereas frost before the fresh spring growth does not cause any harm.

There is also the effect of micro-climates in the garden. Whereas a shaded area exposed to cold winds from the east can be slow to warm up I've also read that areas where cold air gets trapped will get much worse frost than a part of the garden where the cold air can continue moving downhill. Heat stores like large stones, buildings and south facing walls can also take up heat from the sun during the day and release it at night giving some element of frost protection.

In general urban areas are said to be a few degrees warmer than rural areas so how near to the city you are would be relevant. The distance from the sea is relevant and the further from the sea your garden is the more likely you are to get frost. Altitude is also a factor with frost being more regular at higher altitude. My garden is on the north facing side of a hill so I expect to get frost more often than many other gardens and find plants are always a few weeks behind those on the other side of the road which has a more south facing garden. The first and last frost dates are likely to be different in my garden than in yours and the dates are likely to be different this year in most places than they were last year due to the huge number of variables involved. Sorry I can't be any help answering your question.

I recall about 15-April is the last expected frost for the Cork City region.

macraignil wrote: »
    Many plants can survive frost so its a complicated question to know weather or not there has been a frost overnight at times. I planted some Geum flower seeds in autumn with seed from the ones already flowering in the garden and although not growing much have survived outside right through the worst of the winter along with some lettuce plants I did not get to plant out last year. Sometimes it is new growth that is more prone to damage and this can be set back by a late frost whereas frost before the fresh spring growth does not cause any harm.

There is also the effect of micro-climates in the garden. Whereas a shaded area exposed to cold winds from the east can be slow to warm up I've also read that areas where cold air gets trapped will get much worse frost than a part of the garden where the cold air can continue moving downhill. Heat stores like large stones, buildings and south facing walls can also take up heat from the sun during the day and release it at night giving some element of frost protection.

In general urban areas are said to be a few degrees warmer than rural areas so how near to the city you are would be relevant. The distance from the sea is relevant and the further from the sea your garden is the more likely you are to get frost. Altitude is also a factor with frost being more regular at higher altitude. My garden is on the north facing side of a hill so I expect to get frost more often than many other gardens and find plants are always a few weeks behind those on the other side of the road which has a more south facing garden. The first and last frost dates are likely to be different in my garden than in yours and the dates are likely to be different this year in most places than they were last year due to the huge number of variables involved. Sorry I can't be any help answering your question.

Hi macraignil. I'm in the suburbs and about 20km from the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Thud

This might gh help but its only a guideline
    http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-ireland-last-frost-date-map.php
    A lot of seed packets say to sow x weeks before last frost or sow out after last frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

Hi macraignil. I'm in the suburbs and about 20km from the sea.

Then the 15th of April could be about right for the last frost. I'd be inclined anyway to be a bit flexible with any spring planting and be ready to bring pots in overnight if there is a frost forecast that might effect something that's hasn't got hardened off yet. I tend to put plants outside when there is rainy weather from the west forecast and usually this is safe enough from a frost perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,273 ✭✭✭blackbox

July and August are usually frost free ☺️

blackbox wrote: »
    July and August are usually frost free ☺️

Hi BB. Usually? Surely always.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Hi Srameen. I ask because it's useful to know.

There can be still a few nights of frost we’ll into May. If your wanting to plant things in the garden on a certain date and be assured that the frost won’t kill them then I would say first week in June is the earliest.

Thud wrote: »
    This might gh help but its only a guideline
    http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-ireland-last-frost-date-map.php
    A lot of seed packets say to sow x weeks before last frost or sow out after last frost

Hi Thud. I tried that before alright. The colors don't exactly match but it seems like 10-April for last frost for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Last or first frosts are a very flexible event really -- but you really only have to worry about a severe or killing frost -- and they are rare enough after mid April in the south. But as has been said there are hot and cold spots within every garden and you could always have some fleece ready to throw over things if you were worried by a poor forecast

Hardening things off first helps a lot and make sure never to water or feed if you fear there might be a frost - the clinging water only makes things much worse.

lottpaul wrote: »
    Last or first frosts are a very flexible event really -- but you really only have to worry about a severe or killing frost -- and they are rare enough after mid April in the south. But as has been said there are hot and cold spots within every garden and you could always have some fleece ready to throw over things if you were worried by a poor forecast

Hardening things off first helps a lot and make sure never to water or feed if you fear there might be a frost - the clinging water only makes things much worse.

Cheers Paul. Yes, 'severe' would be a key point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Hi BB. Usually? Surely always.

Always.

There’s some more info here.

http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about5891.html

It can be frosty in May in some parts but uncommon. April seems to be the end of it.

Advertisement