Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media - analogue TV service reduction and switch off

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Are there any rights issues here? Do they broadcast Premier League games on BBC Radio 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Are there any rights issues here? Do they broadcast Premier League games on BBC Radio 5?

This afternoon VM is supplying the R5 commentary on Arsenal v. Man. City on both FM and on the digital radio service - channel 911 .

But on my Android phone, when I select R5 on the BBC iPlayer radio app, it's telling me that 'due to rights restrictions....'

coylemj wrote: »
    This afternoon VM is supplying the R5 commentary on Arsenal v. Man. City on both FM and on the digital radio service - channel 911 .

But on my Android phone, when I select R5 on the BBC iPlayer radio app, it's telling me that 'due to rights restrictions....'

I'm sure Newstalk have paid a decent amount to broadcast live Premier League matches on Sundays. You would assume Virgin would be aware of such rights and would not be knowingly breaching restrictions. I suppose what Virgin are doing with FM is not traditional radio broadcasting.

I'm sure Newstalk have paid a decent amount to broadcast live Premier League matches on Sundays. You would assume Virgin would be aware of such rights and would not be knowingly breaching restrictions.

They're sending the BBC radio stations down their cable which is no different to what they're doing with ITV4 but every time there's live sport on ITV4, they block the coverage.

I agree that it's unlikely that they would 'knowingly' breach restrictions. The question arises as to who is supposed to know when the station needs to be blocked - should the BBC tell them to block all live Premiership commentary on 5Live, or does VM expect to be told before each match?
    I suppose what Virgin are doing with FM is not traditional radio broadcasting.

Doesn't mean that they can broadcast every minute of 5Live, there will be situations where a local station has rights e.g. Today FM who typically do a full Premier League match live on Saturdays.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Yeah there’s a seperate thread where that can be discussed

• Advertisement

icdg wrote: »
    Yeah there’s a seperate thread where that can be discussed

Which is where exactly?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I was referring to the UKTV situation - the thread is the very next one - but Cap’n Midnight deleted his post which makes my reply more ambiguous than it originally was

icdg wrote: »
    I was referring to the UKTV situation - the thread is the very best one - but Cap’n Midnight deleted his post which makes my reply more ambiguous than it originally was

Yeah I thought there was some mix up alright. That's why I asked as I couldn't see a more suitable thread. I was referring to the potential rights issues by broadcasting football on FM. If you don't think it belongs here just say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

do irish cable providers pay the bbc or itv etc? or is it just fair game if their signals are coming over the border?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I'm sure Newstalk have paid a decent amount to broadcast live Premier League matches on Sundays. You would assume Virgin would be aware of such rights and would not be knowingly breaching restrictions. I suppose what Virgin are doing with FM is not traditional radio broadcasting.

Don't give them any notions. Thats how we lost ITV1 from UPC and BBC1/BBC2 from Saorview. People getting notions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Don't give them any notions. Thats how we lost ITV1 from UPC and BBC1/BBC2 from Saorview. People getting notions.

Huh?
    I have no idea about UPC but BBC 'anything' was never on Saorview.

Huh?
    I have no idea about UPC but BBC 'anything' was never on Saorview.

It was announced by Eamon Ryan as part of the Good Friday Agreement Memorandum of Understanding.
    RTE FTA on Freeview NI and BBC1/BBC2 FTA on Saorview. Then TV3 threatened to pull out of Saorview and the following day Ryan changed the wording to (BBC on a paid for basis) in brackets thus scuppering the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It was announced by Eamon Ryan as part of the Good Friday Agreement Memorandum of Understanding.
    RTE FTA on Freeview NI and BBC1/BBC2 FTA on Saorview. Then TV3 threatened to pull out of Saorview and the following day Ryan changed the wording to (BBC on a paid for basis) in brackets thus scuppering the deal.

.... and you believed a politician ....... :)

.... and you believed a politician ....... :)

Well I thought it was impressive the manner in which Ryan swept it under the carpet a few days later. He deserves praise for that seeing as "BBC on Saorview" was front page news in the Indo and Times a few days earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,530 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The MoU never included the UK terrestrial channels being FTA on Saorview. Only the press releases from the 2 governments included the references to "BBC services in Ireland on a free-to-air basis". The original press releases were published on Mon Feb 1st and amended Fri Feb 5th.

This from the Irish Times on the day the press releases were amended
    But a by product of the memorandum of understanding between the governments is to “facilitate the widespread availability on the DTT platforms of BBC services in Ireland”.

This was the first hint that the Beeb’s TV channels might be available on the ree-to-air, public service DTT multiplex that RTÉ has been charged with airing in 2012.

Ryan’s press release went a step further: “The memorandum commits the two governments to facilitating the widespread availability of RTÉ services in Northern Ireland and BBC services in Ireland on a free-to-air basis.”

The pay TV platforms and potential commercial DTT mux operators were the ones having an issue with this
    Good news for viewers, perhaps, but it caused quite a stir with pay TV operators NTL/ Chorus and Sky, who between them pay millions of euros each year to the BBC to carry their channels, which are hugely popular with Irish viewers.

They’re not impressed at the prospect of the Beeb being available for free on the public service DTT multiplex, a move that could potentially cost them subscribers.

This might also put the kibosh on the viability of a commercial DTT multiplex, which the Eircom-led OneVision consortium is trying to construct.

It would be hard for a commercial DTT operator to compete with a free-to-air DTT service that already offers RTÉ, TV3, TG4 and the BBC channels.

A source close to OneVision said this could potentially drive a “horse and coach” through its business plan.

Denis O’Brien has already walked away from DTT, handing back his licence last year.

Ryan’s deal might result in OneVision going the same way, not to mention some stiffly-worded correspondence from NTL/Chorus and Sky.

The post on boards that broke the news - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64329123#post64329123

In any case the BBC were not interested in carriage on Saorview - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85803555&postcount=12

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

My parents are switch off victims looking for advice.

Property has two old non saorview enabled TVs. Looking for advice on the cheapest non subscription way of getting basic channels.

Erecting a dish isn't an option due to property restrictions.

Can deal with switching the second TV to just be a DVD player if the have to but would like main room TV to have some channels and I've been given the project!

What is the cheapest minimum outlay i can get away with to get basic Irish channels without subscription and what kit do I need?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭stephend2000

My parents are switch off victims looking for advice.

Property has two old non saorview enabled TVs. Looking for advice on the cheapest non subscription way of getting basic channels.

Erecting a dish isn't an option due to property restrictions.

Can deal with switching the second TV to just be a DVD player if the have to but would like main room TV to have some channels and I've been given the project!

What is the cheapest minimum outlay i can get away with to get basic Irish channels without subscription and what kit do I need?

If it is an apartment building they may have a communal dish or saorview aerial that you can tap into. If not then you could use an indoor saorview aerial depending on your distance from the transmitter.

If it is an apartment building they may have a communal dish or saorview aerial that you can tap into. If not then you could use an indoor saorview aerial depending on your distance from the transmitter.

Thanks. Definitely no communal dish so i take it I'm going to need a saorview set top box for each TV? Is there a way of using one box or internal aerial for both tvs ? Is the existing Virgin wiring any use to me in this regard?

Thanks. Definitely no communal dish so i take it I'm going to need a saorview set top box for each TV? Is there a way of using one box or internal aerial for both tvs ? Is the existing Virgin wiring any use to me in this regard?

I would scrap their existing tv and get a similar sized LCD HD with Saorview for around €250. If there is no digital tuner in the old TV it must be at least 10 years old, SD and CRT. The picture must be dire. The LCD would be a huge improvement and HD to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭stephend2000

I would scrap their existing tv and get a similar sized LCD HD with Saorview for around €250. If there is no digital tuner in the old TV it must be at least 10 years old, SD and CRT. The picture must be dire. The LCD would be a huge improvement and HD to boot.

Agreed, once you spend money on saorview boxes, cabling or elaborate multiroom setups, it is almost as cheap and easier to buy a saorview ready tv. If not then you have to buy a saorview box for each TV.

• Advertisement

Agreed, once you spend money on saorview boxes, cabling or elaborate multiroom setups, it is almost as cheap and easier to buy a saorview ready tv. If not then you have to buy a saorview box for each TV.

Cost is a factor so im looking for a solution for them to use what the have. Picture is grand for them and they "don't like change"

Cost is a factor so im looking for a solution for them to use what the have. Picture is grand for them and they "don't like change"

The Virgin wiring which you asked about will be completely dead and of no use. They will need a Saorview aerial and if they don't want to buy new TVs, they will have to source set-top boxes (STB) to decode the Saorview signal from the local transmitter. You could probably pick these up cheap now as a lot of them will have been retired in the past 5 years as people upgraded from old TVs to models with an integrated digital (Saorview) tuner.

You say they 'don't like change' but I'm afraid what may sound like the least disruptive solution (STB) will actually involve them having to work two remotes - the existing TV remote to switch on and off and adjust the volume and the STB remote to change channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Our house has Virgin broadband, all the channels and a couple of sports and movies packs downstairs through the newest box etc but up in my room in the attic I just had a coax cable that let me tune in SD RTE/TV3/BBC/CH4/E4/Sky One and Discovery. Perfect for my needs as I dont really watch any tv anymore besides the news and a bit of BBC, I download everything else. Today I came home and BBC2, Sky One, CH4 and Discovery are gone, is this the right thread for this? They went before a couple of times but always came back. Just annoyed about BBC2 and CH4 tbh, they'd occasionally have things Id want to watch.

Is there anything I can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,530 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Thargor wrote: »
    Today I came home and BBC2, Sky One, CH4 and Discovery are gone, is this the right thread for this? They went before a couple of times but always came back. Just annoyed about BBC2 and CH4 tbh, they'd occasionally have things Id want to watch.

Is there anything I can do?
    Unfortunately not, likely part of the VM phased analogue switchoff

https://www.virginmedia.ie/newlineup/
    https://www.virginmedia.ie/business/newlineup/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

for anyone that had their analogue switched off and happen to have an xbox or similar Sky News and some other news channels operate youtube live streaming. just install the youtube app on your device and you are good to go

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Relation received cut-off letter yesterday - based in Dublin 9
    'A' appearing on bbc1 channel, channel reduction end of September

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Letter received in Galway City, cut off on October 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Is Virgin Media about to introduce a new set top box to replace the Horizon Box? I heard a rumour doing the rounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,226 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Is Virgin Media about to introduce a new set top box to replace the Horizon Box? I heard a rumour doing the rounds?

There's talk of the v6 box that's currently being used in the UK, being rolled out here, they probably will, sounds like a much better box than the horizon, currently on the market for a new box myself, unsure what to get though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    There's talk of the v6 box that's currently being used in the UK, being rolled out here, they probably will, sounds like a much better box than the horizon, currently on the market for a new box myself, unsure what to get though

It's mentioned in this thread that a new box is due to be launched next year.

Advertisement