Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking for receipts of deposit is withheld?

Options
  • 23-03-2018 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi,

I've recently moved accomodation and am preparing myself for the likelihood that the landlord may withhold our deposit.

We left the place immaculate, replaced all light bulbs and anything else I could think of. There was a wooden balcony which did need some attention but due to the bad weather there was very little I could do about this.

Am I entitled to ask for receipts of work carried out if the landlord decides to withhold the deposit for work being done? If I get receipts am I entitled to dispute whether it was damage or normal wear and tear?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

Yes you are entitled to receipts.

However, you are only liable for damage that is not due to normal wear and tear.

So the balcony is not your problem unless you did something to damage it.

Don't let the landlord charge for a repaint or a deep clean. As long as you left the place in a decent condition it is not your problem.

Also, I wouldn't have bothered replacing all the light bulbs but it was a nice thing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭shellycub

Thanks for your reply. The landlord called in a day or two before our last day and had a quick look. They mentioned the balcony and how they thought the place should be left, including that lightbulbs should be replaced.

This and other things during tenancy are why I'm preparing myself for a battle, though I'm so relieved to have a new place that I don't know do I have the energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

A wooden balcony? Really? What is wrong with it?

The lightbulbs should be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

If there was a full set of working light bulbs when you moved I would leave the place in the same condition.
    Otherwise I wouldn't bother

Advertisement