Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus & a321LR arrival + new routes

Options
  • 23-03-2018 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

htt p:// www .travel weekly.co.uk/articles/300 439/aer-lingus-seeks-new-north-america-destinations

(...)

Aer Lingus seeks new North America destinations

(...)

The airline is seeking commercial support for transatlantic network development from airports in the US and Canada with a deadline for applications set for April 6 and new routes announced in May. (...)

Wonder if this means the official announcement for the new routes 2019 in May this year

My suggestions are :

Either Denver (DEN) (60%) or Dallas (DFW) (40%) for a 330 route (if an a321LR replaces a 330 on a current route OR if an additional 330 arrives next year)

Montreal (YUL) and/or Charlotte (CLT) as new routes & the early JFK and maybe an early Boston or a second daily Toronto (YYZ)

This is pure speculation . Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

If they're looking for route supports, would this not suggest more regional airports like Hartford?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

JCX BXC wrote: »
    If they're looking for route supports, would this not suggest more regional airports like Hartford?

There is normally some level of route support for any unserved route (so CLT wouldn't have anything); Hartford was a special level of support that wouldn't be frequently repeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Kcormahs

I am sure they will prefer routes with a financial support behind but that won't be a requirement.

If they go ahead with the Joint Venture (Which they probably will, since they were looking for staff to deal with this very recently, on the aer lingus careers website) AA hubs like Dallas and Charlotte would make sense to be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Maybe they will fly into Philadelphia that would be a no brainier for them. Maybe Minneapolis I spent a year there there's big interest in Ireland and some big fortune 500 companies one Medtronic set up its HQ now in Dublin. Places like Cleveland as well should be looked at.

jjbrien wrote: »
    Maybe they will fly into Philadelphia that would be a no brainier for them. Maybe Minneapolis I spent a year there there's big interest in Ireland and some big fortune 500 companies one Medtronic set up its HQ now in Dublin. Places like Cleveland as well should be looked at.

Philadelphia actually begins Sunday.

• Advertisement

Philadelphia actually begins Sunday.

It was long coming then but the others like Cleveland, Minneapolis etc should be looked at by EI

Maybe run a basic service to comepete with Norwegian into EWR or JFK could even fly into Long Island Islip ISP

It was long coming then but the others like Cleveland, Minneapolis etc should be looked at by EI

Maybe run a basic service to comepete with Norwegian into EWR or JFK could even fly into Long Island Islip ISP

Norwegian are going to go bust. Not worth trying to compete at the bottom with an unprofitable cluster****

Ultra lowcost longhaul doesn't work - it has been tried repeatedly for 40 years. The low cost model requires aircraft utilisation that cannot be done on longhaul and when you multiply out the fares for the actual usage you get "legacy" airline costs quite quickly.

I think the current model that EI and others are adopting is the way forward, legacy carrier but with a more basic fare, for example you can fly Dublin-Washington in September for €317 return. A fairly reasonable fare, considering many pay as much to go to Spain in peak season.

I think the current model that EI and others are adopting is the way forward, legacy carrier but with a more basic fare, for example you can fly Dublin-Washington in September for €317 return. A fairly reasonable fare, considering many pay as much to go to Spain in peak season.

And that's what I meant by Aer Lingus and a basic service. A early morning flight into EWR maybe. Maybe North american service out of Belfast?

What kinda config are these planes going to have will there be business up front?

The current service is as basic as you can get, really. EWR is not significantly cheaper, if at all, than JFK.

Belfast has APD, which makes any service significantly dearer. Also it may not be an option for an Irish register airline by March '19. Its not worth looking at.

The 321LR will definitely have lie-flat business class up front.

• Advertisement

And that's what I meant by Aer Lingus and a basic service. A early morning flight into EWR maybe. Maybe North american service out of Belfast?

What kinda config are these planes going to have will there be business up front?

Well they already offer this service!

North America will never be seen out of Belfast with Aer Lingus.

Well they already offer this service!

North America will never be seen out of Belfast with Aer Lingus.

At present EI do a 1pm flight into EWR I was suggesting an earlier 8am flight to enable business pax into NJ to do meetings and head back the same day. The load factors into EWR have been good as far as I can see.

God do you have to be so obtrude and make snide comments all the time. At present EI do a 1pm flight into EWR I was suggesting an earlier 8am flight to enable business pax into NJ to do meetings and head back the same day. The load factors into EWR have been good as far as I can see.

God that was quite uncalled for. I was never dissing your suggestion or an 8am flight into Newark, I never made any comment on it. Although I will say that Aer Lingus did previously operate a 7:45am flight to JFK, which appears to have been dropped in favour of Newark.

I don't understand your anger however. I certainly wouldn't consider my posting still agressive or poor in the least.

God that was quite uncalled for. I was never dissing your suggestion or an 8am flight into Newark, I never made any comment on it. Although I will say that Aer Lingus did previously operate a 7:45am flight to JFK, which appears to have been dropped in favour of Newark.

I don't understand your anger however. I certainly wouldn't consider my posting still agressive or poor in the least.

I removed my comment just got a little mad so I am sorry. IAG did say they wanted to make DUB into a hub since LHR is over capacity I for one am looking forward to any more traffic via DUB.

Having worked in NJ a lot of the big Pharma companies HQ's are within a 20 drive of EWR, JFK would take time almost 2 hours to get to. Not saying that JFKS's flights should be cut either but with the smaller planes could make previously less profitable routes viable again

I removed my comment just got a little mad so I am sorry. IAG did say they wanted to make DUB into a hub since LHR is over capacity I for one am looking forward to any more traffic via DUB.

I think it will be a 1-2 route and steady growth scenario for the foreseeable future, but restricting factors like Brexit and a lack of any growth in connecting traffic (unless a Ryanair deal is agreed) and this may faulter.

I think it will be a 1-2 route and steady growth scenario for the foreseeable future, but restricting factors like Brexit and a lack of any growth in connecting traffic (unless a Ryanair deal is agreed) and this may faulter.

Brexit could be a blessing for DUB either the LHR surcharge I know people in Liverpool and Manchester choose going via Dublin due to the lower surcharges and tax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I'm really holding out hope for a Texas route of any kind. I have to go to AUS very regularly now.

I'd take driving from DFW/SAT/IAH over the connecting flight any day.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I’ll be interested to see if they’ll deploy the new a321s on euro sectors in between transatlantics crossings, and if so where. I know they won’t off much, if any extra capacity over the current a320s but it’s smart utilisation.

Noxegon wrote: »
    I'm really holding out hope for a Texas route of any kind. I have to go to AUS very regularly now.

I'd take driving from DFW/SAT/IAH over the connecting flight any day.

Sadly Austin is 4030 nm from Dublin so its outside the range of the 321LR but Dallas could be done if the winds are kind since its 3885 nm

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Sadly Austin is 4030 nm from Dublin so its outside the range of the 321LR but Dallas could be done if the winds are kind since its 3885 nm

are those range for MTOW? could it reach austin if below mtow?

• Advertisement

The payload is already not fantastic at the longest distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

low cost model requires aircraft utilisation that cannot be done on longhaul

How is that the case since the aircraft is airborne most of every day as it can fly Transatlantic through the night, which a lo-cost here like FR wont do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

trellheim wrote: »
    How is that the case since the aircraft is airborne most of every day as it can fly Transatlantic through the night, which a lo-cost here like FR wont do.

You have to consider the number of the sectors as well as the amount of time in the air, plus the competition on a particular route. You can't necessarily charge 7 times as much for a 7hr flight as you do for a 1hr flight. Hence operating 18 hours a day with fast ground turnarounds generates more in the way of profit for FR even with a similar number of hours in the air as EI A330s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

moloner4 wrote: »
    With 12 coming in, East coast will be utilised mostly for them. The 5 year plan (as someone posted up in another thread) has no plans to retire any of the 330s for the next 5 years so only expansion (apart from retiring 4 757s). I say a couple of eastern routes maybe added on top i.e. TLV or SVO potentially.
    Only 8 are actually confirmed at the moment, it was originally 7 and was increased to 8 with a business case being considered for 12 in the future. 

Israel has potential but it's currently a pretty small market from Ireland and Aer Lingus are very much focused on "demand lead" expansion. Same could be said for Russia, it's a small market and not great for aircraft utilisation.

Only 8 are actually confirmed at the moment, it was originally 7 and was increased to 8 with a business case being considered for 12 in the future. 

Israel has potential but it's currently a pretty small market from Ireland and Aer Lingus are very much focused on "demand lead" expansion. Same could be said for Russia, it's a small market and not great for aircraft utilisation.

plus, Israel would envolve a flight crew layover (same as Russia I would think) and that'd be an extra cost that Aer Lingus may not be interested in taking.

Even the CDG and AMS flight crew and aircraft layovers were cut a few years ago in order to reduce costs although these ones were pretty profitable thanks to the early morning traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Id like to see some central routes come on board. Would Memphis & St Louis be in range of A321. Indianapolis would be another interesting city. Should be good cargo loadinds in Memphis and Indianapolis as well with FedEx based in them.

Would pulling A330 from JFK & BOS and allocating 8 A321 to serve DUB/SNN - JFK & BOS and maybe EWR be looked into. Using the same aircraft should allow 10 - 12 returns journeys be completed over a 24 hour period with earlier and later departures from both US and Ireland also the Hartford aircraft can used if there's any tight morning turn arounds in DUB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

UK regional to East coast US will form a big chunk of the NEOs work. What we don't know yet is if they will utilise CBP in DUB or SNN on the way over. The rest will be to supplement existing routes on days when demand is strong. Then there will be the subsidised routes that are a no brainer like Hartford. The working conditions are already agreed - essentially a tour of duty with the potential for back to back east coast flights terminating back into Dublin on the last day of duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

basill wrote: »
    UK regional to East coast US will form a big chunk of the NEOs work. What we don't know yet is if they will utilise CBP in DUB or SNN on the way over. The rest will be to supplement existing routes on days when demand is strong. Then there will be the subsidised routes that are a no brainer like Hartford. The working conditions are already agreed - essentially a tour of duty with the potential for back to back east coast flights terminating back into Dublin on the last day of duty.

Were are you getting this info from. It would be better and quicker for UK passengers to travel to DUB while Aer Lingus most definitely won't be doing a 1-2 hour stop off for CBP from UK regionals.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Only 8 are actually confirmed at the moment, it was originally 7 and was increased to 8 with a business case being considered for 12 in the future....

Officially 8 is the number ordered but the IAG presentation before Xmas showed a 2022 fleet plan of 12 A321LRs and 14 A330s.
    So I expect IAG have the options on 4 more (at the very least) and are just waiting to confirm it.

EI will have a config similar to the current B757s which is 12/170 I believe.
    And they have already stated that they will deploy them on 'targeted shorthaul routes' to improve their product offering.

I will take a guess that EI would like to increase frequency on busy East Coast routes (JFK, BOS) to free up A330's for further into the Continental USA. They can mixup the aircraft type to maximise their yield/load management.

2x A330=630 seats, 3x A321LR= ~570 seats, 2xA321/1xA330= 695 seats.

• Advertisement

Tenger wrote: »
    Officially 8 is the number ordered but the IAG presentation before Xmas showed a 2022 fleet plan of 12 A321LRs and 14 A330s.
    So I expect IAG have the options on 4 more and are just waiting to confirm it.

EI will have a config similar to the current B757s which is 12/170 I believe.
    And they have already stated that they will deploy them on 'targeted shorthaul routes' to improve their product offering.

I will take a guess that EI would like to increase frequency on busy East Coast routes (JFK, BOS) to free up A330's for further into the Continental USA. They can mixup the aircraft to maximise their yield/load management.

2x A330=630 seats, 3x A321LR= ~570 seats, 2xA321/1xA330= 695 seats.

b757 is 12J / 165 Y.

I recall the 12 321LR plan on the slide but only 13 a330s until 2022. Maybe I am wrong and there was a different slide going on :)

Advertisement