Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows feature update forced installed today

Options
  • 24-03-2018 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi,

I have Windows 10 installed. I have all possible update methods disabled.

Today, I returned from a 3 week trip abroad.
    I was watching a movie, and Windows 10 forced rebooted and installed new features.

Has anyone else experienced this?
    The following updates were installed.

I've taken many many steps to disable updates due to certain applications I run break with new updates.

446375.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

Every time, and it's a game of luck when you have to reboot it as well.
    RIP Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

So I looked into it further.

Windows updates and reg keys I modified remain unchanged.
    Updates page still shows the big red warning that my pc is at risk.

However, it seems this update forced itself through, and added some annoying **** to Windows like “People” and re-installed the Xbox component that I removed back in July when I installed Windows.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

As far as I'm aware, the only reliable method to disable feature updates is to use the group policy option - but that's limited to the Education SKU (possibly Enterprise as well, but in any case of no use to normal home useds, or even businesses who don't have a VLSC contract covering Enterpise given that these can be fairly spendy).

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭karasu

Hi,

I have Windows 10 installed. I have all possible update methods disabled.

Today, I returned from a 3 week trip abroad.
    I was watching a movie, and Windows 10 forced rebooted and installed new features.

I use and recommend to my friends Windows Update Mini Tool.
    http://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_update_minitool.html

It's alternative Windows Update client that allows you to choose update server (Windows Update or Microsoft Catalog), preview update availability without downloading, and most importantly, it will allow you to hide and unhide updates at your convenience.

No installation necessary, i just launch exe from the desktop whenever update notifiacation pops up and if I remember it's Patch Tuesday.

From my experience, it is worthwile to hide monthly quality updates and feature updates and revisit them in two weeks or so, after critical bugs introduced in updates are fixed.

Advertisement