Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloc Party - Oct 22nd

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Is burty not right though? Do people listen to bloc party anymore. After first 2 albums, they then became pretty irrelevant. I’m not saying they are no good. But 3arena? I hope it sells well, cause a half full venue makes for an underwhelming gig. I was at kasabian there last year. It was 3 quarters full. And took away from it. And that’s one of the top live acts around now.

Yea I thought it a strange choice of venue especially without the original lineup. And a Monday night is crap. If it was in the Olympia I might have considered it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Is burty not right though? Do people listen to bloc party anymore. After first 2 albums, they then became pretty irrelevant. I’m not saying they are no good. But 3arena? I hope it sells well, cause a half full venue makes for an underwhelming gig. I was at kasabian there last year. It was 3 quarters full. And took away from it. And that’s one of the top live acts around now.

I would make the same illogical argument that's been made about Bloc Party for Kasabian. After the initial first 2/3 albums, they've become irrelevant, they hold no interest to a lot of people I would have gone to see them in the past with.

I've no interest in them now. Whereas if they came out and said they're doing just Kasabian, maybe with a bit of Empire, I'd be there quicker than if they were to a gig with anything since then.

And being a band has nothing to do with relevance, it's to do with your set and music.

Do people only go to see bands now because others see them as relevant? That's madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Hurrache wrote: »
    I would make the same illogical argument that's been made about Bloc Party for Kasabian. After the initial first 2/3 albums, they've become irrelevant, they hold no interest to a lot of people I would have gone to see them in the past with.

I've no interest in them now. Whereas if they came out and said they're doing just Kasabian, maybe with a bit of Empire, I'd be there quicker than if they were to a gig with anything since then.

And being a band has nothing to do with relevance, it's to do with your set and music.

Do people only go to see bands now because others see them as relevant? That's madness.

You could say the same about most bands. Initial sublimity, followed by some middle of the road albums - U2, Pearl Jam, Muse and throw Kasabian and Bloc Party in there for good measure. The difference is that, the first 4 have created a reputation for being a fantastic live gig. I have never seen Bloc Party live (and maybe they create something special), but to be honest I presumed they had split up about 10 years ago. Hadn't heard anything about them at all. If comparing to the likes of Kasabian, most bands will come up with something every so often to keep the public interest alive, and thus boost their standing on the live circuit. Kasabian's last 2 albums have been quite good, but they included some cheesy stuff like Ezz-eh and Psycho to get traction through the radios. And it works.
    It's not a comparison as to who is the better live. I think Burty was saying that as a venue, 3Arena is way over Bloc Party's capacity. And Burty was slated for it. I just think that there is logic to what Burty is saying. But I guess, as another poster pointed out, in Ireland we are effectively going from a jump from Olympia to 3Arena in size. Could do with something in between - i.e. 8k capacity

You could say the same about most bands.

Exactly, but you brought it up, it's a non issue.

Bloc Party were amazing live. I'm saying were because I haven't seen the new lineup perform. They may struggle to match that with the absence of Moakes and Tong (Tong is a brilliant drummer) but the replacements have plenty of experience, with the replacement bassist having toured with Bloc Party when in another band. But the two lead guitarists are still there, and Silent Alarm is nothing but amazing guitars and songs that will stand up to a different rhythm section. But they'd had some great reviews for gigs with the new line up.

Because you haven't heard of them at all means nothing. There's plenty of bands I would have liked, got disinterested in and could then claim they do nothing any more. Not necessarily so.

Burty wasn't just slated for pointing out the size of the venue, he appeared to be burty hurt over how Editors have been mistreated in his eyes by comparing the two.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

. They may struggle to match that with the absence of Moakes and Tong (Tong is a brilliant drummer) but the replacements have plenty of experience, .

Tong was the single best thing about Bloc Party live. They put on good shows at festivals etc, but he stood out from the rest by some distance. His energy was immense. Just don't see it being matched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Bloc party the streets the editors kasabian all bands that Dublin needs a 6,000 venue for.

How do mcd not see this

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

but1er wrote: »
    Bloc party the streets the editors kasabian all bands that Dublin needs a 6,000 venue for.

How do mcd not see this

Well the Editors cant even sell out Vicar Street and the tickets are only 38 euro .
    Pretty disappointing that a band with their back catalogue are struggling to sell out Vicar Street.
    Beggars belief really.
    Would love to see them down in the Opera House in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Well the Editors cant even sell out Vicar Street and the tickets are only 38 euro .
    Pretty disappointing that a band with their back catalogue are struggling to sell out Vicar Street.
    Beggars belief really.

They are struggling to sell out as they seem to be player here every third weekend and the fact that the majority of their songs are bang average.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

but1er wrote: »

How do mcd not see this

it's been needed a long time, far too many bands and solo stars are playing places where they haven't a hope of selling out. I be very surprised if Bloc Party sell out the 3Arena. It's crazy that Kasabian were selling out 3Arena at their peak now they are lucky to pull in half that.

I've seen Bloc Party with their classic line up play the whole of their debut album at a sold out Olympia gig back in the mid 00's. Fantastic gig. What I remember most that night were the support act The Mitchell Brothers (actually signed to The Street's Mike Skinner's Label) who were doing well enough until half way during the gig one of the guys shouted out "Hello U.K" and I swear they were booed for the rest of their set lol.

Last time I saw Bloc Party was in the Big Top in the Phoenix Park. I don't think they had a support act but the PA was banging out some classic dance tracks from the 90s and so on. The crowd was loving it and there was an amazing atmosphere before they came on stage.

Editors are great to see live too, Tuesday is a poor night though. Personal opinion but I think a lot of their audience are well grown up, probably with kids, so a Tuesday night is not a real runner or many.

But I do agree with the point about smaller venues, I've seen Kasabian in the Academy (or whatever it was called at the time), Dublin Castle (brutal sound), and the O2, plus once or twice elsewhere, and by far the best was the gig in the Academy. Same with Foals, their gig a couple of years ago in the Academy was amazing. You'll never beat a small venue like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Last time I saw Bloc Party was in the Big Top in the Phoenix Park. I don't think they had a support act but the PA was banging out some classic dance tracks from the 90s and so on. The crowd was loving it and there was an amazing atmosphere before they came on stage.

Believe it or not, their support was Foals, followed by Biffy.
    What a gig! 2007 I think.

Same with Foals, their gig a couple of years ago in the Academy was amazing. You'll never beat a small venue like that.
    That was one of my favorite gigs ever.

Believe it or not, their support was Foals, followed by Biffy.

Wait, what?!? I did get there a bit late, after imbibing some alcohol beforehand but it felt like I was there for ages before Bloc Party came on. I've no recollection of Foals or Biffy, and I was a big Foals fan at the time :eek:

edit: I see Google results mention Biffy Clyro alright in a Hot Press article. Maybe I did miss them.

Wait, what?!? I did get there a bit late, after imbibing some alcohol beforehand but it felt like I was there for ages before Bloc Party came on. I've no recollection of Foals or Biffy, and I was a big Foals fan at the time :eek:

edit: I see Google results mention Biffy Clyro alright in a Hot Press article. Maybe I did miss them.
    https://www.last.fm/event/331684+Bloc+Party+at+The+Big+Top,+Phoenix+Park+on+03+November+2007/lineup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I know music is subjective but I cant agree. Interpol are bang average

TOTBL is one of the best albums in the last 20 years.

Sure their latest stuff is bang average and Paul's voice is pure awful now but they produced a masterpiece. That's what makes bands stand up. Silent Alarm while good is not exceptional in my opinion.

But they are better musically then Editors :)

Beggars belief really.

They should definitely go to Limerick, Cork or Galway. The cost of travelling to Dublin puts many off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Who in the blazes is running the gigging system in this country?? ! Interpol just announced a gig in the Plympia theater while we have some relic from 2003 that nobody remembers hogging up a night at the o2 ?

What the hell is going on here? 'Pol tickets will be gone like flash lightening and ill bet they'll end up giving 70% of the BP tickets away for free!!!
    Lets be real here.. BP should be chief support to Interpol at the 02.

Dude,
    Start a thread about Interpol in the Olympia if you want, and leave the rest of us to looking forward to the gig.

I like all bands mentioned, but within this thread, I couldn't give a bollíx about Interpol or Editors.

It's gonna be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Burty330 wrote: »
    Who in the blazes is running the gigging system in this country?? ! Interpol just announced a gig in the Plympia theater while we have some relic from 2003 that nobody remembers hogging up a night at the o2 ?

What the hell is going on here? 'Pol tickets will be gone like flash lightening and ill bet they'll end up giving 70% of the BP tickets away for free!!!

If you're such a big Interpol fan you'll have no bother getting tickets.
    Anyway, Olympia would be a better venue as it's smaller and more confined. Assuming you're standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭BurtMacklin

Will this be Interpol's 3rd time playing Ireland in the last 4 years or so? Electric Picnic twice anyway in recent years. I like Interpol, I've seen them about 5 times at this stage and went to see them at EP recently but it does feel like they are over here every second year.

On the other hand I haven't seen Bloc Party in years and love Silent Alarm so will go to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Anyone know roughly what time they’ll be on tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Anyone know roughly what time they’ll be on tonight?

Roughly 9. Roughly

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭breatheme

I missed my flight from London to Dublin today and can't make it.

Does anyone know on which platform I could resell my ticket?

I'm so bummed.

breatheme wrote: »

I'm so bummed.

If you have soft copies I'd say adverts.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

breatheme wrote: »

I'm so bummed.

toutless

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Mac-Chops

Roughly 9. Roughly

Yea, support act Middle Kids are on at 8.00pm so 9.00pm would be about right.

Great gig lads. Thought they could have played for a bit longer though.

Yea, really good stuff.
    TBH, I would have preferred if they played a few more off weekend in the city, rather than the ones they played in encore 1 (apart from the prayer).

Great to see them again, but not a patch on seeing them in the Olympia imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Thought they were brilliant, was going for the sack of it really rather than because I was hyped, but they completely won me over. Silent Alarm was immaculate. The encores were funny sorts, strange mixture of their very early stuff and some of the newer tracks, only The Prayer and Flux as crowd pleasers.

I would agree their could've been more from Weekend in the City (Song for Clay doesn't get played enough at all) or even one or two off Intimacy but I did enjoy The Love Within a lot more in a live setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Burty330 wrote: »

I think they were basing it on quality. It's common knowledge Interpol are muck live.

• Advertisement

BadTurtle wrote: »
    I think they were basing it on quality. It's common knowledge Interpol are muck live.

Paul's voice has gone downhill.

Advertisement