Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Report SPAM/phishing text messages

Options
  • 24-03-2018 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all,

I got a text yesterday from a strange number saying that I'd "received (1) new photo". This was followed by a link where I could "tap to load preview". Knowing this was an obvious scam, I didn't click on the link.

Just wondering how one would go about reporting this phone number for sending these texts? Would like to see the activity shut down. I've gotten a few other texts like this in the past, so if I can find out a way to report the issue, I'll report all of them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You can report it to your network but their attitude will be that it's up to you to block individual numbers, otherwise they would be in the business of censoring content.

I got the same message, I think it's one of those scams whereby if you click on the link, it means that you have 'subscribed' to a premium text service so you'll start to get horoscopes or other crap like celebrity 'news' and be billed through the nose for it.

Ultimately the Govt. should close down those service providers who are pure parasites or at least force them to have multiple levels of approval so nobody can be suckered into avail of their rip-off 'services' without understanding exactly what they're letting themselves in for.

Advertisement