Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair double price of seat selection.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

That would imply that a single parent travelling shouldn't be allowed to fly with more than two children then.

No,just that the issues of dealing with multiple oxygen masks in the event of a pressurisation problem are a potential source of significant stress, at the risk of being pedantic, how do Ryanair (or other airlines) deal with 1 parent and 3 children, or even 2 parents with 3 children.

It's not highlighted that significantly other than to say "parents travelling with small children should deal with their own mask first". The reason for that is simple, if they don't, there is a chance that none of the group will end up wearing their masks, as the time to put the mask on before passing out is very short.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

No,just that the issues of dealing with multiple oxygen masks in the event of a pressurisation problem are a potential source of significant stress, at the risk of being pedantic, how do Ryanair (or other airlines) deal with 1 parent and 3 children, or even 2 parents with 3 children.

It's not highlighted that significantly other than to say "parents travelling with small children should deal with their own mask first". The reason for that is simple, if they don't, there is a chance that none of the group will end up wearing their masks, as the time to put the mask on before passing out is very short.

I think you possibly do a disservice to other adults on board who are seated beside other people's children. I certainly wouldn't just sit there and not help a child sitting beside me to get his/her mask on.

The long-standing standard flight safety announcement is long overdue an overhaul anyway. "parents travelling with small children should deal with their own mask first" doesn't cut it at all. The announcement re the masks dropping by itself is not sufficient either. No mention is made of the fact that the aircraft will be descending very rapidly which would be the scariest part of loss of pressure and convince many passengers that it is crashing. If they are told in advance they'd at least know that it is standard procedure in the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Tenger wrote: »
    I disagree. The middle seats are only being allocating at check-in if others have already purchased the seat selection.

True somewhat and in general I suppose the threat of a middle seat is enough to make people pay for selection. But on one of my recent flights I went to check in a few days before and I was willing to pay for two seats together but there were none left!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Mebuntu wrote: »

The long-standing standard flight safety announcement is long overdue an overhaul anyway. "parents travelling with small children should deal with their own mask first" doesn't cut it at all.

Why do you think this?

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    Why do you think this?
    Firstly, why should the announcement refer only to “small children” what’s the definition of “a small child”. Even a 12 y/o might need assistance.

Secondly, children could be travelling with other than their parents or school trips, team trips etc.

Thirdly, in the current climate that we are talking about, children of all sizes could be sitting beside other adults around the plane. If the matter is to be taken seriously then that part of the safety announcement should address every adult on the aircraft who is seated beside any child so they can be prepared if the event occurs.

Something on the lines of “Any adult passenger who is seated beside children or beside someone else who might need assistance should make sure to always put their own mask on first. Please take stock now of who you are seated beside.”

PLUS what I said above about passengers not being warned about the emergency descent.

The trouble is that the safety announcement has become something of a boring routine to many passengers and even Flight Attendants. I’ve been on planes where the volume was low and the cabin noise completely obliterated it. On the one occasion when I very politely mentioned it to the flight attendant that I hadn’t been able to hear it she, basically, told me to mind my own business.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Mebuntu wrote: »
    ..........No mention is made of the fact that the aircraft will be descending very rapidly which would be the scariest part of loss of pressure and convince many passengers that it is crashing. If they are told in advance they'd at least know that it is standard procedure in the event.
    Not necessarily.......

Tenger wrote: »
    Not necessarily.......
    A two word reply doesn't really explain what you are trying to say? Please elaborate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I always wonder how, when you're travelling with a younger than 2 child, the extra oxygen mask appears.

If several children are travelling and seats aren't prebooked, who looks after seperated children?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I always wonder how, when you're travelling with a younger than 2 child, the extra oxygen mask appears.

If several children are travelling and seats aren't prebooked, who looks after seperated children?
    with ryanair you have to book seats for kids, no way round it

Advertisement