Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine

Options
  • 24-03-2018 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hey, long time lurker & first time poster lol! I”ve always wanted to be in the medical field whether its being a vet, dentist, doctor etc... I know that I wont get the points for medicine since maths, irish & french will drag my grades right down, & I cant afford to go abroad and study so I was wondering if I get a H1 in biology & ag science ( the subjects im doing ) and I do well in my HPAT, do I have a chance of getting in? Im really good at science subjects and I enjoy them but it sucks how a grade in french will determine your future even tho it has nothing to do with the course you want to do. Anyway thanks and im sorry If this is the wrong thread! This has been on mind lately so I want to know if its possible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 EA22

Thanks for replying everyone appreciate it xx🀪💋

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That attitude will get you far.

A H1 in Ag. SC. and Biology will get you 200 points.

Are you doing your other subjects at HL or OL?

Have you found out what last year's cut-off points were for the courses you are interested in?

It may 'suck' that French can determine your access to a course, but what will you do if in your university course you come up against an area that is not so interesting? Say it sucks and not bother with it? That is the system we have so you need to work within it.

@spurious
    1) I dont need you commenting on my attitude. Not necessary. You dont know me, I dont know you so leave it out.
    2) im doing 6/7 subjects at higher level

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That's great.

You know how likely you are to get the required points.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭blueberrypie

UCC have a new Healthcare/Medicine course being rolled out this year. 4 year degree and they want you to sign up for Med or Dent after the 4 years. They know not everyone can get the high points straight out of the leaving cert.
    Best of luck and chin up!!

• Advertisement

@spurious I dont know honestly I think I’ll get around 345/350 points

@blueberrypie thanks but I checked the requirements and you need a H4 in chemistry but I dont do it

You could do something like Medical Laboratory Science as a 2 year PLC and use the results of that for advanced entry into other courses.

Is it this year you are doing the Leaving or next? If this year, you would need to be applying to good PLCs now as they will be in demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

What other sciences do you do then? Medicine is about medication on the human body, which includes chemicals and the sorts. If you've always wanted to do it shouldn't chemistry have crossed your mind? Seeing as options are limited, you could just go down a healthcare or science course route and then try to do medicine as a grad student.

@spurious no im doing the leaving in like 1 years time or 2 if im repeating 5th

@jeonahr ummm why would chemistry even cross my mind when 1) its not required for medicine & 2) im already doing 2 science subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

EA22 wrote: »
    @spurious no im doing the leaving in like 1 years time or 2 if im repeating 5th

@jeonahr ummm why would chemistry even cross my mind when 1) its not required for medicine & 2) im already doing 2 science subjects

Can I ask why you might be repeating 5th year? Considering this myself...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

from personal experience, don't do anything except medicine. Lots of people do biomed and hate it because they see it as an entry to med. If you want med, you'll get med.

Can I ask why you might be repeating 5th year? Considering this myself...
    They put me in TY when I never signed up for it and it took like 5 weeks to put me into my chosen LC classes so im kind of behind in a few classes

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

They put me in TY when I never signed up for it and it took like 5 weeks to put me into my chosen LC classes so im kind of behind in a few classes

I missed time too... Is there anything you'd do differently if you do repeat 5th?

I missed time too... Is there anything you'd do differently if you do repeat 5th?

No not really. Im doing quite well right now in terms of writing out notes etc

No not really. Im doing quite well right now in terms of writing out notes etc

I'd suggest going on with the Leaving and if you don't get what you want, to repeat 6th year. If you repeat 5th you'll have to learn new English texts. Might as well stick to it to get the feel of the Leaving to know the pressures etc. if you're considering repeating 5th or 6th.

FYI chemistry is a must for TCD, UCC and the 5 year course in RCSI.

jeonahr wrote: »
    I'd suggest going on with the Leaving and if you don't get what you want, to repeat. If you repeat 5th you'll have to learn new English texts. Might as well stick to it to get the feel of the Leaving to know the pressures etc. if you're considering repeating 5th or 6th.

Thats fine because we haven’t done anything in english this year because my teacher is on maternity leave and they can’t get another english teacher to cover her.

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭dermo888

jeonahr wrote: »
    I'd suggest going on with the Leaving and if you don't get what you want, to repeat. If you repeat 5th you'll have to learn new English texts. Might as well stick to it to get the feel of the Leaving to know the pressures etc. if you're considering repeating 5th or 6th.

Thats fine because we haven’t done anything in english this year because my teacher is on maternity leave and they can’t get another english teacher to cover her.
    Seriously? If you don't have the quotes for the Shakespeare and the Poetry and have the course well revised, you've very little chance of a high grade in English. You might pull off a High C, but nothing more.

dermo888 wrote: »
    Seriously? If you don't have the quotes for the Shakespeare and the Poetry and have the course well revised, you've very little chance of a high grade in English. You might pull off a High C, but nothing more.

I know. Thats why im saying its fine to repeat 5th year because I haven’t studied anything in English yet

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭dermo888

I took that attitude myself, and lived to regret it. 5th year is the foundation stone you need to set up a good launch at the Leaving Certificate itself in 6th year. Not that I was a brilliant student, far from it, I've a lousy attention span at times.
    That said, the educational environment of 2018 is far superior to that I went through in 1992-1994 when I went through the mill. The availability of technology, the internet, and a much more transparent marking system go a long way. 
    5th year will get you 35% of the way towards the Leaving Cert. The remaining 65% will happen in 2019. By the time of the mock exams in March you'll get a 'gauge'. It won't be a brilliant gauge though - it merely shows what the worst case scenario is. Its the period from March to June that really sets it all up for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭blueberrypie

RSCI also offer Medicine

Six-year entry route--no Chemistry requirement!

Applicants must present a minimum of six subjects [2 x H5 and 4 x O6/H7] in the Irish Leaving Certificate to include a minimum of an O6/H7 in Irish (unless exempt), English, Mathematics, a third language and one laboratory science subject from Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Physics/Chemistry or Agricultural Science.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 photofinish2

I missed fifth year due to illness, so did ok in my first leaving cert 490 points counting hl irish french and english,

Decided to repeat sixth year and knew I was very good at science so did ol irish english and french, took up ag science and physics in one year, and ended up getting 625 doing ALL the sciences, biology chem , physics ,ag science maths, applied maths, now studying medicine. So yes concentrating on just science is definitely an option and worked very well for me. Good luck.

Advertisement