Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesco Vitamin D tablets.

• 24-03-2018 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Due to the zero sunlight we get I'm going to start popping some vitamin d pills. Are the tesco oens any good? Or should I be going to Holland and Barret for the more expensive stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think Holland and Barret products are hugely overpriced. I believe they are using the strategy of charging a lot for stuff because the buyer thinks if something is expensive then it must be good. If a product says its got xx ug's of whatever then there is no reason to think it does not unless there is some kind of criminal scam going on. In other words Tesco/Lidl/Aldi supplements should be fine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Is it D2 or D3? Get D3 supplements. I use iherb or vegetology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

If you’re taking vit D supplements, take magnesium too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    If you’re taking vit D supplements, take magnesium too

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Why?

In very basic terms, magnesium allows the body to use the vitamin d

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Apparently half the US is deficient in magnesium, could be a lot here too so could be a good idea to supplement. Unlike vitamin D though it should be easy to get magnesium in sufficient quantities from your diet, if you're not I'd look at that too. Top 10 sources from USDA (there's plenty more):

Spinach, cooked — 1 cup: 157 milligrams (39 percent DV)
    Swiss chard, cooked — 1 cup: 150 milligrams (38 percent DV)
    Dark Chocolate — 1 square: 95 milligrams (24 percent DV)
    Pumpkin seeds, dried — 1/8 cup: 92 milligrams (23 percent DV)
    Almonds — 1 ounce: 75 milligrams (19 percent DV)
    Black beans — 1/2 cup: 60 milligrams (15 percent DV)
    Avocado — 1 medium: 58 milligrams (15 percent DV)
    Figs, dried — 1/2 cup: 50 miligrams (13 percent DV)
    Yogurt or kefir — 1 cup: 46.5 milligrams (12 percent DV)
    Banana — 1 medium: 32 milligrams (8 percent DV)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'm a sun avoider in so far as I rarely strip down even in summer and expose most of my skin to sunlight. ie. Not a sunbather. With just the face and neck and arms exposed and maybe the calves in shorts, it takes a ridiculous amount of time to generate adequate Vit D even when we get the sun in Ireland. Hence I supplement Vitamin D. Apparently the RDA's are woefully out of date and inadequate too. The latest studies suggest that the RDA should be 4000-5000IU a day instead of 400-500IU. The Vitamin D in most supplements aims to hit the out of date RDA's. They're way too expensive as it is nevermind the amount you would have to take to achieve the figures in the thousands. Best and cheapest and easiest way to hit 4000-5000IU is to buy Vitamin D3+K2 suspended in a peppermint flavoured oil in the dripper bottles. These include Vitamin K2 because without it D3 will cause Calcium to accumulate in the blood eventually leading to calcification in the arteries. K2 sends the calcium to where its actually wanted which is the bones. D3 is a fat soluable vitamin so you want to take it with fat/oil to help it all absorb in the gut, hence why its suspended in oil. The D3/K2 Dripper I bought has about 1000IU per drop so I drip 5 drops on my tongue and wash it down with a gulp of water every other day. Bought the D3/K2 dropper last Summer IIRC and its still half full!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I have 5,000iu tabs. 365 in a bottle. They were only around a tenner. They’re tiny too so very easy to take. The magnesium on the other hand are huge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I use the Better You spray - can get it in Holland & Barrett during the buy one get one half price offers - lasts ages:

https://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/shop/product/betteryou-dlux-3000-vitamin-d-oral-spray-60012895

Had blood tests done a few years ago and it really made a difference in my levels after 6 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Calibos wrote: »
    Best and cheapest and easiest way to hit 4000-5000IU is to buy Vitamin D3+K2 suspended in a peppermint flavoured oil in the dripper bottles. These include Vitamin K2 because without it D3 will cause Calcium to accumulate in the blood eventually leading to calcification in the arteries. K2 sends the calcium to where its actually wanted which is the bones. D3 is a fat soluable vitamin so you want to take it with fat/oil to help it all absorb in the gut, hence why its suspended in oil. The D3/K2 Dripper I bought has about 1000IU per drop so I drip 5 drops on my tongue and wash it down with a gulp of water every other day. Bought the D3/K2 dropper last Summer IIRC and its still half full!!

Can I ask where you got the liquid D3/K2? Have been taking D3/K2 in capsule form but liquid sound better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement