Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSD i70 dead after power cut ?

Options
  • 24-03-2018 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Came home yesterday to our alarm going off after a power cut to the area.
    After the power came back the green and blue LEDs where flashing but the display was blank, so I was unable to turn off the alarm.

I disconnected the power and had to wait a number of hours for the battery in the ringer to drain.

I tried replacing the fuse but its the same.

Had the alarm installer out this morning and he is saying the panel will most likely need to be replaced as its probably been blown by a surge.
    Does this sound likely ??

I dont understand how a surge could do this type of damage considering the fuse didnt blow.
    Also, couldnt just one of the components be replaced ? Its seems to be modular with easy enough to replace parts, surely the whole thing does not need to be replaced ?

Appreciate any advise you can give.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Gaz wrote: »
    Had the alarm installer out this morning and he is saying the panel will most likely need to be replaced as its probably been blown by a surge.
    Does this sound likely ??

It is possible.
    Was any other electrical or electronic equipment damaged at the same time in your home or in neighbours houses? This would be a good indicator that it was a surge. If not a surge the product may just have failed. This can happen to any electronic kit.
    I dont understand how a surge could do this type of damage considering the fuse didnt blow.

The surge could have come and gone before the fuse would have time to blow. This is why there is a big industry in surge protection. If a fuse would do the job nobody would buy surge protection.
    Also, couldnt just one of the components be replaced ?

Possibly, but that is for GSD to answer. When it is removed why not send it to GSD and see what they say? You have nothing to loose.

How old is it? It may be under warranty.
    If not GSD may give you a discount on a replacement if you ask nicely, it is worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Everything else in the house is fine. Its a new estate (still a lot of building work going on) so power cuts are common enough.

The alarm is in almost 2 years, so I assume the warranty is expired.

The installer said its common enough for the panels to blow and he was looking at 3 others in the area all affected since the power cut. That just seems a bit bizarre to me. I dont really want to have to pay out hundreds to replace it and then it blows again the next time the power goes.

I'll fire off an email to GSD (I dont see that I can buy individual parts on their website).

Cheers.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'd say it's more likely to be just the power supply. If you put a fresh battery on and hit the reset button does it start up.
    I'd definitely look into it more. We have lots of these installed and have never seen a whole panel blown.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Very common problem with those OP and I think they only come with a 12 month warranty but that could have changed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The installer said its common enough for the panels to blow

What? :eek:
    It is not common for panels to "blow".

If an installer told me that he had installed a panel in my house that is prone to failure I would look for another installer!

I am not going to comment on the reliability of this particular make of panel, but if I suspected that these panels were unreliable I would install a different make next time. It is simply too much money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'd bet it's just the power supply. More than likely caused by a surge or similar.
    Again OP shop around and get some more information. Most installers deal directly with GSD. I find them very accommodating and flexible. I have never been told something is out of warranty older than 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

According to EU law, electronic devices should have a 2 year warranty.
    I am sure GSD will look after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Realgonekid

Only last week I had a GSD power supply fail from a job that's close to 3 years in place. Contacted GSD via info@ and both PSU and battery pack replaced FOC.

I may be prudent to install surge protection on all intruder alarms.

Just on to GSD and they are going to sort it out for me. Really nice chap actually.

• Advertisement

Glad you got it sorted. As I said we find them very accommodating and flexible to deal with

Just on to GSD and they are going to sort it out for me. Really nice chap actually.

That is good news.
    For your own peace of mind you should get GSD to confirm what the issue was.
    Also get surge protection installed this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

I disconnected the power and had to wait a number of hours for the battery in the ringer to drain.

Id also ask the installer to look at the external bell as its meant to switch off after 15 Minutes.

Hi Gaz

Just wondering how you got on . Was the issue just the power supply & did you get it covered under warranty?

Yes, it was the power supply. GSD provided a replacement free of charge.

Nice one :)

Thanks for the update. A nice result compared to the prospect of a panel replacement.
    It pays to shop around rather than just listening to the scare mongers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Realgonekid

Excellent result.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hope he sorted out that external bell too, should be turning off after 15 minutes max.

Advertisement