Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Troubleshooting WIFI installation

Options
  • 24-03-2018 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

I recently upgraded from a Huawei 5220 modem to a Huawei Router 525. I cannot connect one PC to this modem as the WIFI password will not be accepted. The first five characters are digits, the sixth is an alpha character, which the system will not allow me to input? The WIFI password contains 11 alphanumeric characters.

The WIFI password for the old modem was also alpha numeric, consisting of 8 characters, and there was no issue in either installing or reinstalling this modem.

I was thinking that a driver upgrade may be necessary but cannot understand how alphanumeric keys were accepted for one modem and not another? Can anyone throw any light on this issue or has anyone come across it before? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Not able to type character? What is it?

Log on to router from connected PC, go "Settings" -> "WLAN" -> "WLAN Basic Settings", tick "show password" box, highlight displayed password, hit CTRL+C , open notepad, hit CTRL+V, transfer txt file to other PC and copy/paste it there in password prompt or even better, change "WLAN key" to whatever you able to type from any PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

Check keyboard input language on the PC that can't connect, it may be set to US which puts characters on different keys

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Not able to type character? What is it?

Log on to router from connected PC, go "Settings" -> "WLAN" -> "WLAN Basic Settings", tick "show password" box, highlight displayed password, hit CTRL+C , open notepad, hit CTRL+V, transfer txt file to other PC and copy/paste it there in password prompt or even better, change "WLAN key" to whatever you able to type from any PC.

No joy with either of the above options. When WIFI key is pasted from notepad, the message displayed is "CheckSum validation failed for the pin entered". I reset the WLAN key as suggested, the new key is accepted but when attaching the device, the same issue occurs. The interesting thing here is that the router has retained the personalised WLAN key but on connecting another (not the one referred to earlier) device, it will not accept this but will accept the original WLAN key which is printed on the device. Also, it is not possible to logon to router, it has to be reset on each occasion, i.e. it will not accept the preprogrammed password or any other revised password. Totally baffled by this.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with a Huawei router??

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is this laptop Windows 7 or Windows Vista?

Once entered new password on router, make sure to hit "Apply" on the page...

446945.PNG

...and get following "Success" note displayed...

446946.PNG

insure "Security mode" on device(PC, laptop, whatever)match the one set on modem. Some old devices might not support it or might be defaulted to other, older standard.
    Each time you reset router it will restore WLAN key printed on label. Same apply to logon password

• Advertisement

Note:
    Change password on each band separately in "WLAN Basic Settings", modifying password through "Quick setup" only affects 2.4GHz band.
    1. Select band to "Edit". Selected band will show in "Working band" field, to change band selection you must either "Apply" or "Cancel"
    2. Modify password
    3. Apply

446978.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 17 NialltheITGuy

WiFi Card in problem computer may not be compatible with newer Technologies in Router or Router has poor reception.

Also Router Distance and Walls/Doors/Metal cause signal interference stopping connection to router.

The likes of Wireless B G are being replaced by the faster Wireless N AC.

Most newer Routers have stopped using the old Technologies and Wireless G in particular has had a revisions since inception.

A new WiFi Card is needed for old computer.

PC World has Belkin Nano N150 USB Dongle for less than €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

WiFi Card in problem computer may not be compatible with newer Technologies in Router or Router has poor reception.

Also Router Distance and Walls/Doors/Metal cause signal interference stopping connection to router.

The likes of Wireless B G are being replaced by the faster Wireless N AC.

Most newer Routers have stopped using the old Technologies and Wireless G in particular has had a revisions since inception.

A new WiFi Card is needed for old computer.

PC World has Belkin Nano N150 USB Dongle for less than €20.

Lots of general advice, but totally missing the mark.

If .11 standards were the issue they wouldnt see the SSID. What is most likely is a buggy WPA2 implementation that plagued V/W7 and a series of 8000 Atheros chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 NialltheITGuy

ED E wrote: »
    Lots of general advice, but totally missing the mark.

If .11 standards were the issue they wouldnt see the SSID. What is most likely is a buggy WPA2 implementation that plagued V/W7 and a series of 8000 Atheros chips.

The Mark is drop out of connection. Many things can influence this:
    -WiFi Strength (Put router closer to computer or vice versa)
    -Channel Interference (change channel number on router)
    -Router Overload (too many Devices Connected, Clear DHCP Leases on Router)
    -WiFi Adapter(Update Firmware)
    -WiFi Adapter Network Version (Wireless a/b/g/n/ac )
    -WiFi Interference (Microwaves, some tv reception boxes, faulty wiring(rare))
    -Operating System (XP is buggy with WPA2 WiFi Standard)

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Once entered new password on router, make sure to hit "Apply" on the page...

446945.PNG

...and get following "Success" note displayed...

446946.PNG

insure "Security mode" on device(PC, laptop, whatever)match the one set on modem. Some old devices might not support it or might be defaulted to other, older standard.
    Each time you reset router it will restore WLAN key printed on label. Same apply to logon password

Thanks smugger for this - I will have another attempt at changing the WLAN password in each of the settings, as set out in your second post. As far as I can recall, I only set the WLAN password in one setting. I actually don't know if i have more than one band, but this will become obvious when I go into this again.

In the meantime regarding the logon password for the router - this will not work as set out in original post.....it is stated that the default password is admin, but this is not accepted. If the password is changed it appears to have accepted it at the setup stage, but upon logging in again, the revised password will not work. I think it locks out after three attempts. The only option available to logon to router is to reset the router via the reset switch, in all instances.

• Advertisement

Well try from scratch:
    1. reset router
    2. log on to router with admin/admin, DON'T change admin password yet, skip/ignore any notes about it.
    3. deal with your WiFi.
    4. after confirmed your WiFi working you can update admin password in Settings->System->Modify Password and don't forget Apply.

446994.PNG

Advertisement