Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the Leaving Cert PE count as a science subject?

Options
  • 24-03-2018 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Does anyone know if the new Leaving Cert Physical Education (LCPE) subject counts a science subject for a course such as medicine? I've checked everywhere but there's no information about this yet. I am wondering if Trinity College, UCD or RCSI accept the LCPE as a science subject.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You'd probably have to email them to find out. I'm sure they will have made a decision on it by now - is the first exam this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

I doubt it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Haven't looked at the syllabus but it would depend on what's on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

My school is part of the first group of schools trying it out this coming September and as far as I know no one has said it will be considered a science subject. PE will include politics and history of sport as well as education on the body. From what my PE teacher is telling us about what it is expected, I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

ya my school is a pilot school as well. Had a quick glance at the syllabus a couple of weeks ago and there wasn't much that you would classify as science in it. Stuff like ethics in sport, media, physical activity.

There isn't a huge amount on nutrition and physiology in comparison to what I assumed it would be.

Sport and recreation would probably be a better description for it.

https://www.curriculumonline.ie/getmedia/41817053-8f40-4365-8893-dba1a68508f3/LCPE_Specification_en.pdf

Colleges will probably take a while to decide where it would fit on requirements list but my gut feeling is that it won't be classed as a science subject.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭ignorance is strength

It’s conceivable that it might satisfy the requirement for general science courses, which often allow geography and applied maths. But afaik all medicine courses require two lab sciences.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

No its not considered a science subject and ironically neither is computer science (I work in a school that is a pe pilot school and other school in town is CS pilot).

Looking at the PE syllabus, I was quite surprised there wasn't more Science material in it.

I contacted TCD about this and their response was:

"The matter is currently under consideration by the relevant academic departments. We should have a decision in a week or so."

Advertisement