Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eucalyptus cinerea (sliver dollar) tree

Options
  • 24-03-2018 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

Hi all I set some 20 eucalyptus cinerea last September, they came on well and blossomed come late November. Having looked at them today I've noticed the majority of trees has leaves turning brown with a withered feel to them.
    I know the leaves turn a red color but this isn't what I'm talking about.

The stem from the ground up is also tuning a brown color from then red/maroon color it first was when planted would this be down to the tree starting to grow?

As for the leaves my fear is the recent first and snow has s maybe done harm, I hope not. I'm looking for suggestions as to what I can do and if I should give them a feed and if so what kind?.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Mine are the same. I'm hoping it was just the bad winter.

I definitely wouldn't feed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

It's usually a harsh frost followed by a quick thaw that does the damage. Has the bark cracked or lifted in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mr321

Oldtree wrote: »
    It's usually a harsh frost followed by a quick thaw that does the damage. Has the bark cracked or lifted in any way?

No the barks not cracked or anything just discolored. I'll upload some pics later. Really hope there not dieing

pics of tree leaves and trunk

tree trunk turning a different color also

• Advertisement

Mine for comparison (different variety mind)

https://ffflumen.tumblr.com/post/172237298327/unhappy-eucalyptus

Lumen wrote: »
    Mine for comparison (different variety mind)

https://ffflumen.tumblr.com/post/172237298327/unhappy-eucalyptus

Thank you yours look the sliver dollar also. Sane problem to it seems must be frost damage has any if the branches become dried out and lost the leaves with you?

Mr321 wrote: »
    Thank you yours look the sliver dollar also. Sane problem to it seems must be frost damage has any if the branches become dried out and lost the leaves with you?
    The ones I photographed are crenulata. Oddly, these and the neglecta were supposed to be less fussy than some others I have on the same site (archeri, parvula) which look fine, but possibly they're in a more exposed location and taller and so more prone to cold drying wind.

Will see what they do this summer.

Advertisement