Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

private rental issues

Options
  • 24-03-2018 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

hi all long time no post,
    so my story begins with i am in private rental accomodation with two family members and a friend, there has been many issues with the property the biggest being the central heating / water heating has not properly worked since day one its was fiddled with by two plumbers and it kind of half worked for two years, i personally have had no heating in my room since iv been there but have had to contribute to the oil etc but this didnt bother me until we were hit with a rent increase which is tightening everything up, throughout the beast from the east we had no centeal heating we had to make do with gas and portable electric heater, which is incurring us cost weekly.

problem two is dampness its coming up through the floor in my room and also downstairs in the extented on sunroom walls are bad.

there is a few other misc problems but they are the big ones

our rent was also raised from 800 pm to 1000 pm strangely after the house and problems were inspected maybe a coincedence. the letting agent also was very aggressive almost made us agree and sign to a 24 month contract which we didnt want and also another rental increase to 1200 pm next year. didnt want to give us anytime to discuss it between us even calling outside of buisness hours around 9pm 10pm.

we have complaind to the landlord via email multiple times and have been fobbed off basically we also have had the plumber ring him he has been told the system is beyond repairing. he has told the plumber he is considering his options and may decide to move the boiler location to external, its about a 5k bill for the boiler alone we have been told. we have no idea really what to do we are fed up and our health has been suffering especially the older family member.

any advice appricated

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Complain to the environmental health officer of the local council.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

hi all long time no post,
    so my story begins with i am in private rental accomodation with two family members and a friend, there has been many issues with the property the biggest being the central heating / water heating has not properly worked since day one its was fiddled with by two plumbers and it kind of half worked for two years, i personally have had no heating in my room since iv been there but have had to contribute to the oil etc but this didnt bother me until we were hit with a rent increase which is tightening everything up, throughout the beast from the east we had no centeal heating we had to make do with gas and portable electric heater, which is incurring us cost weekly.

problem two is dampness its coming up through the floor in my room and also downstairs in the extented on sunroom walls are bad.

there is a few other misc problems but they are the big ones

our rent was also raised from 800 pm to 1000 pm strangely after the house and problems were inspected maybe a coincedence. the letting agent also was very aggressive almost made us agree and sign to a 24 month contract which we didnt want and also another rental increase to 1200 pm next year. didnt want to give us anytime to discuss it between us even calling outside of buisness hours around 9pm 10pm.

we have complaind to the landlord via email multiple times and have been fobbed off basically we also have had the plumber ring him he has been told the system is beyond repairing. he has told the plumber he is considering his options and may decide to move the boiler location to external, its about a 5k bill for the boiler alone we have been told. we have no idea really what to do we are fed up and our health has been suffering especially the older family member.

any advice appricated

Anywhere else in the area to move to? Be more forceful and insist on being provided with a fully functional heating system within a week (you're in spring now though so you are over the worst of it) or else you will need to explore avenues to assert your rights. The boiler costing 5 grand isn't your concern and is neither here nor there.

Does landlord know about the damp? You'd think he should be concerned about safeguarding the value of his investment and the structural integrity of his property.

If ye have a 24 month lease he's screwed himself over really. Was the rent review carried out correctly - notification in writing with three comparable properties? Assume you aren't in a rent pressure zone?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

he has been fully informed throughout but has a devil may care attitude, he resides in oz now the property is his home here in ireland. we went through hell also about 3 years ago to stop his house from flooding i have videos on my laptop of the water literally an inch from coming in, this is how we are repaid by saving him thousands in damage.

anyway no i live in a costal area of waterford and there is no other rentals in the area, initailly the landlord wanted to raise the rent to 1600 pm but even the estate agent advised him that is extortionate. the family member that deals directly with the landlord literally tried everything to stop him from increasing the rent to no avail, the problem with the 24 month contract was it agreed to another rent increase at the end of the first 12 months the increase was not noted but id hazard a guess at between 1200 or 1400 pm. even between four of us it is expensive its a big house yes but worth it not really with all the issues. the drive way is also gone to the dogs full of potholes and like a field.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

we got a notification in writing but not three comparable propertys?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

we got a notification in writing but not three comparable propertys?

The future rent review is invalid and in all likelihood the review you received is invalid aswell

• Advertisement
Advertisement