Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worth investing in switch

• 24-03-2018 7:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭

I've been out of the gaming scene for a few years due to a young family. I'm liking the Switch concept and a few of my colleagues have been singing it's praises, but I wouldn't be into the games they play.

My last console was an Xbox 360, and I loved Condemned, Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Fallout, Alan Wake, Resident evil, and some single player mode Rainbow 6, COD.

Does the switch offer many games that would be similar in style to the above?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

jester77 wrote: »
    I've been out of the gaming scene for a few years due to a young family. I'm liking the Switch concept and a few of my colleagues have been singing it's praises, but I wouldn't be into the games they play.

My last console was an Xbox 360, and I loved Condemned, Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Fallout, Alan Wake, Resident evil, and some single player mode Rainbow 6, COD.

I got a Switch in December and had been away from gaming for ages if you except some iOS games (last console was a PS1 and I had stopped PC gaming around 2005!).

I am rather liking it so far and don't regret buying it - mostly having played SMO, Mario Kart Deluxe, and Doom.

However the massive hits coming from Nintendo are obviously not the kind if games you are into (but even for a “mature” audience I found SMO to be a great game, if you get the switch it is worth giving it a try to see if it works for you). You kind of games is present but in smaller number but compromise compared to other consoles. Good think about it though is that it is the only device offering a good portable experience for them - finishing Doom strictly in handheld mode on my couch and my bed was rather nice.

So in summary: it is probably not the best console for your kind of games, but some of them do exist and it offers a unique experience playing them on a handheld device.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As it stands the Switch has the likes of Doom, as mentioned, as well as Skyrim which itself is pretty amazing.
    CoD is likely to be coming to the Switch but there has yet to be an announcement on that one.
    Dark Souls Remastered should also shake things up in terms of what can be expected on the Nintendo device, along with the long awaited release of Wolfenstein II.
    I would also suggest that, while your preference is very much in those kinds of titles one would have expected on the 360, certainly my own 360 collection of titles has all of those you mention, it's worth knowing that LoZ:Breath of the Wild is an astounding game that anyone will find extremely satisfying, particularly those who enjoy a massive adventure.
    The main reason it's a little hard to see if Mario Odyssey is for you is simply the 360 didn't host anything like it.
    It's another incredible game.
    And, if competitive battles are for you, Splatoon 2 is stunning, and Arms will surprise you as well.

I mean, you can play it safe and get a PS4, and you'll play the sequels to nearly every game you mentioned, but if you are after something that'll inject a bit of something unexpected into your gaming life, I'd go with the Switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭Inviere

I bought one primarily for Breath of the Wild. The game is that good, though, to justify it imo. Since completing it, I haven't touched my Switch. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic little machine, but it's still early days in its lifetime. Portability is not something that appeals to me either, so that selling point is kinda lost on me. Nintendo's pricing model is also quite steep, but again, you're getting portability for the extra money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭Nollog

jester77 wrote: »

The types of games you enjoy will be gimped on switch, if they even come out on it.

However! They'll be portable if you're into that type of thing.
    And the sales of the console have been decent, so third parties might make games for it.

If you also like Nintendo games and indie games but forgot to list them, then yes a switch is worth every penny already, with years more to come.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    And the sales of the console have been decent, so third parties might make games for it.

This sounds a bit too negative when you look at the sales figures and compare to other consoles. Sales have been much more than just decent. And third parties have and will make games for it, not might.

(of course it won’t be the best system for graphic intensive games and probably not for more “mature” kind of games, but I still wanted to make a point your working really sounds underwhelming compared to what has happened with the console until now)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

jester77 wrote:

If you are into Nintendo titles like Mario, Zelda or Smash & like playing Indie games on the go yes get a Switch but most of those type of games you have named are on PC if you have a good one or a PS4/Xbox One already.
    Bob24 wrote:
    This sounds a bit too negative when you look at the sales figures and compare to other consoles. Sales have been much more than just decent. And third parties have and will make games for it, not might.

It's not being negative I think he just means don't expect every third party game like Red Dead 2 or Far Cry 5 on Switch as certainties which is fair to say but I'm sure we'll get versions of titles eventually.

ERG89 wrote: »

It's not being negative I think he just means don't expect every third party game like Red Dead 2 or Far Cry 5 on Switch as certainties which is fair to say but I'm sure we'll get versions of titles eventually.

Agreed about these games, but I was more referring to saying "the sales of the console have been decent" as being too negative a way to interpret the sales figures. The Switch seems to be the fastest selling console of all times in the US, that is a fair bit better than just "decent".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭Nollog

Bob24 wrote: »
    This sounds a bit too negative when you look at the sales figures and compare to other consoles. Sales have been much more than just decent.

(of course it won’t be the best system for graphic intensive games and probably not for more “mature” kind of games, but I still wanted to make a point your working really sounds underwhelming compared to what has happened with the console until now)

It's slowing down, the sales won't be keeping up with the current gen hashtag mature consoles in my opinion. 14.86 million shipped worldwide as of December 17th 2017 is the latest Nintendo figure. Half as many games sold as the Wii U had in its lifetime.

Here's something randomish but interesting:
    14.44 million software sales with 3.61 million console sales, that's the WiiU 7.5 months after launch. Attach rate 4.
    Switch is 14.86 million console and 52.57 million games sold in 9 months. 3.5 attach rate.
    Bigger numbers on that Switch, compared to a failed console.
    I'm not a PS4 guy(I got one for mhw and crash remaster though - thankfully will be sold soon) but that things got great numbers, do Sony publish these kind of numbers even? I like a lot of things about Nintendo, even dumb things like numbers.
    Bob24 wrote: »

I mean parity, releasing a custom version like for example dead space back in the Wii days, or exclusives without the stuff other consoles get.

You've surely already noticed the distinct lack of switch versions for some games on announcement, and those that do, say "switch version later".
    Example being dragon quest on that last one, latest in my memory, lots of examples of the first case from those game awards where Nintendo won loads of awards.
    I'm excited to see it change at E3 this year, and dreading it won't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Regarding sales numbers, the 3DS sold 72 million in its lifespan so far.
    The PS4 has sold 74 million.
    No reason at all why the Switch won't sell in 3DS numbers in the coming years, it's already sold 15 million.

Advertisement