Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assault in IFSC/Spencer Dock. What the hell is wrong with this city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

If the rent you pay is from welfare you receive then it is free, do you understand that?
    People who work in and live in social housing are still heavily subsidised
    Even at that DCC are owed millions in rent by those in arrears.

But it's a legal right.... supposedly whether you pay or not :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I don't think you understand the concept of earning money.
    So the people who clean your toilets, and clean up the kitchen after your nice restaurant dinner, and clean up the drool from your elderly relatives in the home, and change your babies' nappies during the day, they're not 'earning money' in your eyes?
    By the way, if you're from an area, are you more likely to get social housing in that area if you're on a list? Like could you be from Summerhill, but get a house in say Belcamp or somewhere?
    If you want me to do your research for you, we'd need to agree an hourly rate up front.
    If the rent you pay is from welfare you receive then it is free, do you understand that?
    If you pay rent, you're not getting it for free - do you understand that?
    Even at that DCC are owed millions in rent by those in arrears.
    Actually, most of the millions owed to DCC is by businesses, property developers and mortgage holders - but don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant;
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/dublin-city-council-owed-247m-at-end-of-last-year-1.1770299

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

So the people who clean your toilets, and clean up the kitchen after your nice restaurant dinner, and clean up the drool from your elderly relatives in the home, and change your babies' nappies during the day, they're not 'earning money' in your eyes?

Literally no-one said that.

Two posts above yours someone explained clearly what is meant by free social housing* and that should be the end of it, but to keep your trolling going you choose to completely misrepresent what was expressed by another poster and portray them as a poor-hater? :-/

* which really it is not rocket science and didn't require an explanation, I have no doubt you fully get it

Bob24 wrote: »
    Literally *noone* said that.

Two posts above yours someone explained clearly what is meant by free social housing (and really it is not rocket science and didn't require an explaination) but to keep your trolling going you choose to completely misrepresent what was expressed by another poster :-/

So just to be clear then, people who are working on minimum wage do actually earn their money then?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

If you pay rent, you're not getting it for free - do you understand that?

No - because that's complete nonsense. If you're given the money to pay your rent then you are getting your rent for free. If my parents paid me the money to pay my mortgage then I am not paying my mortgage, my parents are. If someone gets social welfare to pay their rent then the State is paying their rent. This is painfully obvious.
    Actually, most of the millions owed to DCC is by businesses, property developers and mortgage holders - but don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant;
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/dublin-city-council-owed-247m-at-end-of-last-year-1.1770299

"It doesn't matter that there's millions in unpaid rent because there's even more unpaid rates"

More nonsense. People can't managed to pay their free/heavily subsidised rent (I wonder what they do with the money instead, save puppies I'm sure) but that's fine.

• Advertisement

No - because that's complete nonsense. If you're given the money to pay your rent then you are getting your rent for free. If my parents paid me the money to pay my mortgage then I am not paying my mortgage, my parents are. If someone gets social welfare to pay their rent then the State is paying their rent. This is painfully obvious.
    It is painfully obvious that you haven't done a forensic financial audit on the people you're whinging about. So you don't know what money they have, what income they have and where they spend it You've no idea where their rent money comes from. But either way - it's their money. They have the choice to get social housing and pay rent or use the money for something else. It's their money.
    "It doesn't matter that there's millions in unpaid rent because there's even more unpaid rates"

More nonsense. People can't managed to pay their free/heavily subsidised rent (I wonder what they do with the money instead, save puppies I'm sure) but that's fine.
    Have you been taking lessons from Trump's team in fake news? You know those double-apostrophe marks that you put at the start and end of that first sentence. They're called 'quotation marks' and are usually used to mark out a quotation - something that somebody actually said - not something that you just made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

€72m owed in unpaid rents to councils across the country. It's grand though because rates.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/councils-owed-over-400m-in-unpaid-rents-loans-and-rates-36765225.html

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭savj2

Just seen a man get a big beating on Green St, Dublin 7

He was an English man about 30 years of age wearing a suit and got into trouble with a few youths from the flats on the green beside the old special criminal court.

Not sure what started it, but he couldn't get away from the mob and his face was covered in blood.

There was a few lads maybe 13-15 years of age and one lad late 30s maybe early 40s laying into him kicking him on the ground.

The Gardai did turn up and got one of the youths but a load got away.

This is the second mob incident I've seen on Green St in the space of 6 weeks. 6 Weeks there was a big fight between local teenagers and went on until the Gardai arrived.

There is a noticeable increase in anti-social behaviour in the past 6 months here and I see it getting worse with the summer holidays around the corner.

€72m owed in unpaid rents to councils across the country. It's grand though because rates.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/councils-owed-over-400m-in-unpaid-rents-loans-and-rates-36765225.html

Thanks for the link - the headlines say it all;

Councils owed over €400m in unpaid rents, loans and rates
    Report shows council shortfall of €291m in unpaid commercial rates alone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich

Coming through Spencer Dock area today on the bike, there was a man passed out in a tracksuit, looked like a heroin addict on the grass at the side as professionals in business attire walked by, and 2 kids flying around on scramblers. East Wall and townies always seemed to have kids on scramblers flying around for as long as I can remember.
    Anyway it's just quite an odd place, 2 completely different worlds in the same area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

2 completely different worlds in the same area.

Yes this part of the city is actually strange sometimes.

Mind you, I am all in favour of keeping a good social mix in the city as I think if you geographically segregate people by social classes too much, overtime they don't feel like there belong to the same society anymore. But a social mix should mean mixing the less and the better well off and have them talk to each other because they are all decent people and fell like they are part of the same society, not mixing drugs addicts and criminals with bankers and IT workers and have them point fingers at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Well the whole O'Connell Street area and it's environs, and the whole north city centre area in general, is not exactly in an ideal state.I stand over what i said.:) It might not be Johannesburg.But nonetheless, you do need to keep your wits about you in that part of town.;)

I dont get what people say about Oconnell Street tbh. Plenty of northside areas are absolute dives, I walked up near foley street the other day near the social housing and 8-10 teenage boys on their bikes at the end with hoodies up all looking back down the road in my direction from under their hoods..needless to say I walked back the other way!
    But O'connell Street is so safe..its far too busy night and day that youd ever find trouble..henry, parnell, abbey street, marlborough street and parnell square are all perfectly fine areas too. I cant say Ive ever in my life felt even the slightest bit threatend in those areas. Theres undoubtedly more rougher looking people in these areas but that doesnt mean youre gonna get mugged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

wakka12 wrote: »
    I dont get what people say about Oconnell Street tbh. ....
    But O'connell Street is so safe..its far too busy night and day that youd ever find trouble..henry, parnell, abbey street, marlborough street and parnell square are all perfectly fine areas too.....that doesnt mean youre gonna get mugged.

The stats would disagree with you.

http://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2014/03/crime-7.png

City center feels like a different planet than it did 10 yrs ago in terms of feeling safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭dubrov

beauf wrote:
    The stats would disagree with you.

That map is misleading given the city centre is far more densely populated than the suburbs.

O'Connell street isn't even in the dark red area. That's all south of the Liffey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

dubrov wrote: »
    That map is misleading given the city centre is far more densely populated than the suburbs.

O'Connell street isn't even in the dark red area. That's all south of the Liffey

In fairness most of the crime events in the D2 area would be petty crimes. Shop lifting, bag/purse grabs, pick pocketing in and around Grafton street etc.

It is painfully obvious that you haven't done a forensic financial audit on the people you're whinging about. So you don't know what money they have, what income they have and where they spend it You've no idea where their rent money comes from. But either way - it's their money. They have the choice to get social housing and pay rent or use the money for something else. It's their money.

youve no right to get so aggressive when the majority of people would agree that this point is sophistry at best and utter sh1te at worst

dubrov wrote: »

It's a stylised map based on the Garda stations. Not physical location of the crime. I assume.

The point is you'll have more crime in densely populated city center location due to weight of numbers.

Also between the courts and Garda stations on the Luas between the park and the IFSC it's the mainline for people attending court and reporting to Garda stations. There's a real tough crowd on that Luas in those locations. Not to mention all the tough areas behind all these city centre locations only a short walk away.

Of course the Garda figures are not to be trusted either. All the messing around closing Garda stations and crime reporting.

youve no right to get so aggressive when the majority of people would agree that this point is sophistry at best and utter sh1te at worst

People don't have the "right" to rebut nonsense, because you perceive it as aggressive and because the majority of a sample section of denizens of Boards.ie engaging in this thread don't agree with his stance?

That's not how rights work tbh.

beauf wrote: »
    It's a stylised map based on the Garda stations. Not physical location of the crime. I assume.

The point is you'll have more crime in densely populated city center location due to weight of numbers.

It's reported crime committed within the districts of those stations.

It's reported crime committed within the districts of those stations.

Maybe there are richer pickings south of the Liffey.

• Advertisement

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yes this part of the city is actually strange sometimes.

Mind you, I am all in favour of keeping a good social mix in the city as I think if you geographically segregate people by social classes too much, overtime they don't feel like there belong to the same society anymore. But a social mix should mean mixing the less and the better well off and have them talk to each other because they are all decent people and fell like they are part of the same society, not mixing drugs addicts and criminals with bankers and IT workers and have them point fingers at each other.

Must be a vast difference in rent in the smallest physical distance around the IFSC.

You've also got a lot of foreign workers in this area who have no idea what they are near.

That said the boom has transformed these areas. In the 80 and 90 these areas were like a wasteland.

Maybe there are richer pickings south of the Liffey.

Tourists and shoppers are easy targets for scams and pickpockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Actually, if you read the article you'll see that 41m of that is unpaid rates.

People don't have the "right" to rebut nonsense, because you perceive it as aggressive and because the majority of a sample section of denizens of Boards.ie engaging in this thread don't agree with his stance?

That's not how rights work tbh.

But that is how after hours works....

But that is how after hours works....

Oh yeah, he who shouts loudest wins.

.. They have the choice to get social housing and pay rent or use the money for something else. It's their money....

... The prtb would have a different view...

Or finds the most spelling or grammatical errors or strawman, or whataboutery.

... The point is to have fun...

Or finds the most spelling or grammatical errors or strawman, or whataboutery.

... The point is to have fun...

Strange definition of fun there.:pac:

Strange definition of fun there.:pac:

In fairness it's been a barrel of laughs so far.

Even the Luas travel in twos in this part of the city. You have to expect Luas morals.

• Advertisement

the poster i responded to is the loudest shouter type

thanks for the speech on rights and the projection of my intent. thats not how good rhetoric works either but mwah

Advertisement