Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assault in IFSC/Spencer Dock. What the hell is wrong with this city?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Happens all the time. A scene reminiscent from the Warriors takes place in Dublin City and someone joins boards to tell their tale

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

RasTa wrote: »
    Happens all the time. A scene reminiscent from the Warriors takes place in Dublin City and someone joins boards to tell their tale

Their parents are on subsidies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

One of the problems is there is no guarda presence in the city centre. How often do you see the guards walking around on foot? Almost never in my experience. Way different story in any other major cities I've visited.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Typical Dublin scum. If the police cant do anything until they are 18, then their parents subsidies should be hit hard and deducted for any offences/damage caused by these uneducated scumbags. If you were in the US you could gun them down in defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

IFSCYP wrote: »
    ..What the hell is going on in this part of the city? and how does the Gardai not do anything about it? ....

Has anyone experienced something similar? Any advice on what can be done besides letting the Gardai know?

Do your research and google the bad areas of a city before going there at night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

I walked/motorbiked through the IFSC, Sheriff St/Eastwall area at all times of the day and night when I worked at the port tunnel and never had any issue or fear.

There was the usual Garda checkpoint when I came off the back shift about 23:00-midnight but the started to wave me through as it was regular.

The IFSC area is a grey, cold, windy ****ole however. If I had too, I would rather live on Sheriff St than in some grey box in the IFSC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

listermint wrote: »
    The op has ninja edited the dates and times .

This all sounds suspect to say the least.

Like one of those subsidies threads in after hours

Ninja edit. Translation, has corrected...

I work in the area, totally believable story, doesn't happen in the day time when they are outnumbered, but if you catch their attention in the evening when they are bored you are in for a bit of trouble.

There are not always gangs of them hanging around, but when there are, it is pretty intimidating, can easily be 50+ 12-17 year olds on the bridge outside old commerzbank building (one central something now) on a sunny summers evening.

Most bloody towns in Ireland have their dodgy areas, my wife used to own a house in a rough part of Celbridge, one time 7 years ago I had words with a young fellah for bating a football off the side of my car. When I turned up a week later I was spotted and when I left the house there was a gang of 15 of them waiting for me. Shouted and threw stuff at me until I got in the car, at which point they blocked the road, I opened my window to talk to them and was pulled out of the car and given a good kicking, received a fractured skull for my troubles.
    The Garda arrested 2 of the leaders, both 17, both well used to playing the legal system, only one ended up in court, after multiple adjournments he got a warning. The joys.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

Sorry to hear about your attack, but Spencer dock is Sherrif street. That area always had a terrible reputation.  Went to school around there in the 80s, it was a war zone.  No amount of shiny flats is going to change that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Was in Amsterdam there recently, was having coffee outside a cafe. A lad moved one of the cafe seat and table over the road to be beside the canal and in sunlight. He then took out his phone and put it with his earphones on the table. He then walked back across the road and into the cafe to order. He obviously felt there was no threat of it being nicked.

I thought to myself its surprising you can feel that safe in a European capital city and it’s a pity there’s no where in Dublin you could do that.

He was an idiot, or part of a police sting operation.

Petty crime, pickpocketing and electronic device theft is absolutely rampant in Amsterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I work downby the ifsc. The locals are being slowly pushed into the minority by the business community. It’s kind of like the catholic creep into Protestant areas of Belfast - it’s not welcome. The ifsc is a soulless kipp. The locals resent the gentrification being imposed upon the area. Their area as they see it. I’m not sure which stakeholder will win out. The locals aren’t going anywhere but the corporate denizens are setting up shop in big numbers. It is a dull and lifeless place. I’d hate to live there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

tastyt wrote: »
    I was in a cafe/ shop last week in grand canal at lunch from work.

Sitting eating a sandwich, about 7/8 of these little pricks came into the shop, one of them ordered a sandwich and they all sit down.

They proceed to shout and roar and make eveyone uncomfortable. An old lady beside them asked them to be quiet and rwlax but they laugh in her face and abuse her.

Next thing a water bottle lands right beside me on my table thrown from one of the scrotes. I must have been in bad form because without thinking I pick it up and throw it straight back, smacking one of them across the head.

All hell breaks loose, and I am approached by a little rat around 14/15 telling me he will break my legs.

I get up, call him a little bollicks and leavethat shop. They follow me, iI again tell them to **** off, one of them hits me a punch. I turned around and laid out the little **** with a punch, unconscious. The rest scattered. Yes I felt a little bit ashamed.

I understand that im a 34 yr old guy and its not possible for everyone to do or want to do the same thing but **** these little ****, its all they understand. The cops should be dishing it out to them
    Good man yourself. If a few more of the.got laid out they might stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

https://www.numbeo.com/crime/region_rankings.jsp?region=150&title=2016

Just so it’s known how crime ridden Dublin is .. 11th highest on the crime index in European. If you did what amsterdam man did you can be pretty sure your phone would be stolen.

As for the man in the amsterdam himself, I wanted to approach him quietly and ask him why he would feel so safe to do that. I should have as it was startling to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

tastyt wrote: »
    I was in a cafe/ shop last week in grand canal at lunch from work.

Sitting eating a sandwich, about 7/8 of these little pricks came into the shop, one of them ordered a sandwich and they all sit down.

They proceed to shout and roar and make eveyone uncomfortable. An old lady beside them asked them to be quiet and rwlax but they laugh in her face and abuse her.

Next thing a water bottle lands right beside me on my table thrown from one of the scrotes. I must have been in bad form because without thinking I pick it up and throw it straight back, smacking one of them across the head.

All hell breaks loose, and I am approached by a little rat around 14/15 telling me he will break my legs.

I get up, call him a little bollicks and leavethat shop. They follow me, iI again tell them to **** off, one of them hits me a punch. I turned around and laid out the little **** with a punch, unconscious. The rest scattered. Yes I felt a little bit ashamed.

I understand that im a 34 yr old guy and its not possible for everyone to do or want to do the same thing but **** these little ****, its all they understand. The cops should be dishing it out to them

good job:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,592 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

IngazZagni wrote: »
    I walked through sheriff street going between Connolly and the convention centre area last week during the day and there was a gang of male youths loitering and across the road a guy shouted at me if I wanted any weed. A fairly intimidating street and I won't be taking that shortcut again.

I agree with your other point though. I've lived in other European Cities and Dublin is pretty safe overall compared to others but I would say that other cities perhaps do a better job of policing the city centre/touristic areas.

I don't disagree but it's not necessarily just that Dublin city centre isn't properly policed but that there aren't the resources to have enough police in the problem areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Really sorry to hear that horrible experience OP. Thanks for sharing it. I think it's useful information.

I think it's impossible to have Gardai doing sufficient foot patrols through the city to stop this. However, I do think we need to do much better with surveillance cameras. High resolution cameras have got cheaper and I would like to see the place covered in them to improve the odds of capturing incidents and identifying criminals.

As for the issue of kids being able to exploit their status to avoid penalties, I'd well believe it. However, we should not be defeatest on this. We could reform the system of we had the will.. This is as socially determined behaviour: we just haven't done enough to pull enough on the levers to stop it. I think once behaving like this becomes unacceptable then it's gone forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,592 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

boombang wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear that horrible experience OP. Thanks for sharing it. I think it's useful information.

I think it's impossible to have Gardai doing sufficient foot patrols through the city to stop this. However, I do think we need to do much better with surveillance cameras. High resolution cameras have got cheaper and I would like to see the place covered in them to improve the odds of capturing incidents and identifying criminals.

More extensive CCTV would be fought tooth and nail by the ICLU et al. It would apparently a bad thing to be able to identify places where the guards on the ground should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

In Singapore malls you can mark your table with a wallet or mobile phone and go to the food counters. Will be still there when you get back. Millions of cameras...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

CCTV would be useless here anyway, I had my motorcycle stolen when I was living there. Acquired HD resolution footage of the lads stealing it, they just wear hoodies and scarves. Gardai said it was probably my neighbor as they could identify the clothing but said they had no concrete evidence so they got off.

I used to live in east wall and always felt unsafe walking around with gangs of teens roaming around the place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In Singapore malls you can mark your table with a wallet or mobile phone and go to the food counters. Will be still there when you get back. Millions of cameras...

Did that regularly in Poland. No cameras, just properly parented people who are not thieving filth and (crucially) a general public who would step in, military trained and all and sort out any dirt who put his hands on someone else's belongings.

Was in Amsterdam there recently, was having coffee outside a cafe. A lad moved one of the cafe seat and table over the road to be beside the canal and in sunlight. He then took out his phone and put it with his earphones on the table. He then walked back across the road and into the cafe to order. He obviously felt there was no threat of it being nicked.

I thought to myself its surprising you can feel that safe in a European capital city and it’s a pity there’s no where in Dublin you could do that.

He was an idiot, or part of a police sting operation.

Petty crime, pickpocketing and electronic device theft is absolutely rampant in Amsterdam.

Where have you heard or seen that? it’s quite low on the crime index considering it’s a party city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭facehugger99

or was really stoned.

or was really stoned.

Nah he was upstanding well dressed citizen

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Some would say i am being dramatic but we have a big problem with public order throughout the country.
    Dublin does have it the worst and have had some minor occurrences in the area myself,Not been assaulted though.

Gov need to face facts here and deal with it,parenting is shocking in many cases so only natural these kids end up the way they are.
    Vicious circle.

Hope your keeping well OP.
    Its a scum minority,Which is sometimes easy to forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Owryan wrote: »
    Seems totally legit, also totally understandable that after a beating like that you would join boards to tell your tale.

And it's still early on a Saturday night.
    Owryan wrote: »
    Clearly they are a time lord, just unlucky for them they landed in Dublin in the future.

I mean the story is so believable that you have to accept they traveled into the future, were attacked and returned to the present day so they could tell us about it.

Why would not believe it? This stuff does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

People are under some delusion that you can instantly gentrify historically rough and ready working class dublin areas ...you can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

I was in the cinema there a few weeks ago (The one near the 3 arena). Came out around 11 and friends car was parked on Lower Sheriff Street. As we walked towards the car another car passed and somebody threw a brick out of the window. It just missed us but smashed the window behind. Couldn't believe it. When I told my Dad where the car was parked he said we deserved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

People are under some delusion that you can instantly gentrify historically rough and ready working class dublin areas ...you can't.

True but the sharp shock lies in saturating these areas with law enforcement. A de facto police state. And to be honest a lot of people would opt for a police state at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

True but the sharp shock lies in saturating these areas with law enforcement. A de facto police state. And to be honest a lot of people would opt for a police state at this point.

During the feud between Christy Griffin and others the area was saturated with Gardaí and it quietened down greatly. They don't seem to be around as often now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

Place needs a Garda station of its own. More money needs to be poured into the gardai in general to get officers walking the area. No amount of CCTV will deter this behavior, actual police presence I think will have more of an effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I was in the cinema there a few weeks ago (The one near the 3 arena). Came out around 11 and friends car was parked on Lower Sheriff Street. As we walked towards the car another car passed and somebody threw a brick out of the window. It just missed us but smashed the window behind. Couldn't believe it. When I told my Dad where the car was parked he said we deserved it!

That's a whole different level of scumminess. Who drives around with a brick to throw?

I laughed at your dad's reaction though :)

Advertisement