Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assault in IFSC/Spencer Dock. What the hell is wrong with this city?

Options

Comments

LoMismo wrote: »

total scum, I know folks who'd be regarded as scumbags who would be appalled at that incident.

Unfortunately, it's not surprising.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Whatever about mandatory drug sentencing, there should be mandatory long sentences for anyone who assaults a frail or incapacitated person (whether robbing them or not), anyone who strikes another person in the head area with their foot (while robbing them or not). I could go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭phoenix49

For some reason I think these issues are more important to be dealt with rather than building a MetroLink. The same metro will be crossing some of the nastiest areas of Dublin, I could only imagine these unmanned underground stations :). Some people are deciding the fate of 8th, not thinking about the kids some people are going to raise. We sit here and rant and maybe get a stress relieve - but that won't have any effect unless there's an initiative to make a change. I've read couple of sound solutions to tackle the issue in this thread, why not organise and lobby it through politicians? It's democracy, isn't it? We need politically active people to do it though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭LoMismo

phoenix49 wrote: »
    For some reason I think these issues are more important to be dealt with rather than building a MetroLink...

No. The hard working people of Dublin deserve things like the Metro.
    The kind of ill behaviour being discussed here is inherent in swathes of Irish society and would take generations to get rid of. I don't know any solutions but depriving the rest of us of nice things like Metros in order to sort them out shouldn't even be discussed.

LoMismo wrote: »
    No. The hard working people of Dublin deserve things like the Metro.
    The kind of ill behaviour being discussed here is inherent in swathes of Irish society and would take generations to get rid of. I don't know any solutions but depriving the rest of us of nice things like Metros in order to sort them out shouldn't even be discussed.

It's kind of a post where you aren't sure if this is a sarcasm or statement :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

They're from there. It is the workers who have moved in on their home patch. They're Das were jumping in to the same canal 40 years previous.

Hopefully they will gradually be pushed out to slums on the outskirts, so we can enjoy the city in peace.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

OK folks, lets dial the rhetoric down a bit. Its one thing to be offended & appalled at certain behaviour but calling for the annihilation of children is not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

The sad thing is. the type of scumbags that i had hassle with 20 years ago are the parents of the current generation... these kids never stood a chance.

i dont know what the answer is. current gentrification will create more concentrated ghettoization like many other european cities and you will have serious no go zone areas far worse than current.

cutting SW support for these families would more than likely increase crime levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Newstalk interviewed some local councillors who mouthed the usual bleeding heart nonsense about the community being very close bla bla bla. About an hour later they spoke to local residents who all said the area was a dump and overrun by scumbags. People on the ground know what's happening but those in positions of power refuse to address any of the problems.

Councillors are just a reflection of the people who vote for them. There are bleeding heart nonsense councillors because that is what people want.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The Gardai can do nothing because the ombudsman would hang them out to dry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

The Gardai can do nothing because the ombudsman would hang them out to dry.

Exactly, what's the point in them trying to send some of these scumbags to prison when they will just got off with a fine or a very lenient sentence.

The sad thing is. the type of scumbags that i had hassle with 20 years ago are the parents of the current generation... these kids never stood a chance.

i dont know what the answer is. current gentrification will create more concentrated ghettoization like many other european cities and you will have serious no go zone areas far worse than current.

cutting SW support for these families would more than likely increase crime levels.
    Foodstamps instead of money, strict control on where they spend the money, public works when they damage stuff (graffiti cleaning, rubbish removal under bridges, etc), basic public works with some salary. The idea is to keep them busy, do not let them drink/get stoned/drugged and work even harder with their kids, break the chain.

This requires an organisation and maybe some investments.

phoenix49 wrote: »
    Foodstamps instead of money, strict control on where they spend the money, public works when they damage stuff (graffiti cleaning, rubbish removal under bridges, etc), basic public works with some salary. The idea is to keep them busy, do not let them drink/get stoned/drugged and work even harder with their kids, break the chain.

This requires an organisation and maybe some investments.

The problem is, Pheonix, that a huge industry relies on these people engaging in these activities, from Bernardos to lawyers, to left wing politicians. They don't want the situation to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Jaysus lads, I’ve heard there’s a rumble tomorrow between the foodstamp gang and the hang’em’high vigilantes. There’ll be hot air and vented puffery to beat the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Assault in IFSC/Spencer Dock? Shocking. That should only happen in places like Sheriff Street and the North Inner City. Disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hobie21

When I lived in Dublin I never saw so many scumbags in my life. Hated the place and couldn't wait to escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/regenerating-dublin-s-north-inner-city-ifsc-led-to-ethnic-cleansing-1.3449486

IT getting it wrong of course. The problem was that there wasn't any ethnic cleansing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Nermal wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/regenerating-dublin-s-north-inner-city-ifsc-led-to-ethnic-cleansing-1.3449486

IT getting it wrong of course. The problem was that there wasn't any ethnic cleansing!

So folks that have been living in an area for generation should be cleared out an area, just so you can live a fancy lifestyle?

You also said they should be moved out the area.

Well why dont you move? They were there before you were.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Talbot St is hardly any more dangerous than any other part of the city centre - if this attack did occur as described (and it doesn't fully pass my bs detector) I would guess that the man and the €1500 runners he happened to be wearing were spotted elsewhere and followed. Bear in mind I've been on that street tens of thousands of times at all hours and never seen anything like that happening-an opportunistic phone or bag snatch is about the worst of it, but that can and does happen on Dawson St and Stephen's Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,332 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The lad with the shoes was involved with drugs himself previously (he confirmed it on Liveline). It's possible he was known to his attackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

sabat wrote: »
    Talbot St is hardly any more dangerous than any other part of the city centre - if this attack did occur as described (and it doesn't fully pass my bs detector) I would guess that the man and the €1500 runners he happened to be wearing were spotted elsewhere and followed. Bear in mind I've been on that street tens of thousands of times at all hours and never seen anything like that happening-an opportunistic phone or bag snatch is about the worst of it, but that can and does happen on Dawson St and Stephen's Green.

I smell a little bs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Yeah, I got the smell of bs and I think joe did as well, especially when he brought up that he was an ex junkie. I got the impression that he knew who they were or was making a buy. Why wouldn’t you go straight the Garda when the station only 300m away but go and bum money off an old lady for a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I'm not sure how truthful the story is but its very true that the general area is pretty grubby with lots of dodgy looking fcukers wandering around. I work on Foley Street and see versions the same stuff every day

Smack Heads
    Fly Tipping
    Drug Dealing
    Muggings
    Shop Lifting
    Dog and Human **** on the ground

The area is a kip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

I'm not sure how truthful the story is but its very true that the general area is pretty grubby with lots of dodgy looking fcukers wandering around. I work on Foley Street and see versions the same stuff every day

Smack Heads
    Fly Tipping
    Drug Dealing
    Muggings
    Shop Lifting
    Dog and Human **** on the ground

The area is a kip

Big time dive. The armpit of Dublin. I hate to see tourists wandering around it.

Big time dive. The armpit of Dublin. I hate to see tourists wandering around it.

And never any guards around. Complete joke that decent people have to walk among the dregs with no security.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭AlanG

As mentioned earlier it is not that Dublin is any worse than other cities but it is actually just more mixed - different social classes live close together. In other cities the problems are in Ghettos and the city center is for business and tourists, Dublin does not have anything like a US or French ghetto. There are pretty much zero no go areas in Dublin. Spencer dock is certainly far safer than it was 20 years ago but there are still clearly some major social and legal problems in the area. Sorry to hear about this assault, it must have been very frightening.

• Advertisement

AlanG wrote: »
    As mentioned earlier it is not that Dublin is any worse than other cities but it is actually just more mixed - different social classes live close together. In other cities the problems are in Ghettos and the city center is for business and tourists, Dublin does not have anything like a US or French ghetto. There are pretty much zero no go areas in Dublin. Spencer dock is certainly far safer than it was 20 years ago but there are still clearly some major social and legal problems in the area. Sorry to hear about this assault, it must have been very frightening.

There is also a serious lack of a Garda Presence around the City Centre. The Gardaí are supposed to prevent crime. They're pretty useless turning up after a crime has been committed.

Advertisement