Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assault in IFSC/Spencer Dock. What the hell is wrong with this city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Yanks

oh my god that was only half my post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Yanks wrote: »
    Yeah, I work in IFSC at one of the financial companies. I was living on Harrington St. when I first got here as it was paid for by the company. Great area! I'd turn the corner and be on Camden St. So that was cool. Now I live in IFSC literally a two minute walk to work, not a bad apartment to be honest. It was funny because the first time I went to Talbot St. it was to get my shoes fixed and shined. I looked on Google for somewhere close to work because the place I went to in Rathmines was trying to charge an arm and a leg which I thought was ridiculous. Get the F$%ck Outta here with that bull****! I told him that does not even cost that much on Wall St, which is true, but we'll forget that noise as the shoe repair on Talbot did a great job for a reasonable price! The first time I walked down Talbot it definitely reminded me of certain neighborhoods back home NYC including mine. Now that I live in IFSC and I travel to Talbot St often you definitely see the difference. I saw some people smoking meth or crack whatever it was under the train station the other day, Muthafu

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2X4wl7Bjwo6dhorsanXsk8o7IyEQzWc_t_trTJTTpyVx0jnuS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Yanks wrote: »
    I saw some people smoking meth or crack whatever it was under the train station the other day, Muthafu

Crack is a seriously growing problem in Dublin. I live in Ballymun and it's probably as prevalent, if not more so, than heroin here now. The guards drive past people doing drugs in the local parks and say nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Open dealing proper death drugs is mostly ignored by the Garda, yet if a Brazilian rickshaw driver's selling a €20 bag of grass on the Southside it's undercover task time!!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/dublin-s-drug-dealing-rickshaw-drivers-1.3320494

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Rezident

Yes Dublin skangers are pure evil scum. I have zero faith in the authorities doing anything about it, you cannot rely on them.

Self-defense is essential to know in Dublin, the psychology behind it, the knowledge, confidence and body language will help you avoid many of these situations as most members of these gangs are cowards, they want an easy target, they do not want someone who looks like they will fight back. You MUST be aware of your surroundings at all times in these areas, especially at night. Put away your phone and always know who's around you.

Docking the families' benefits would be a start, they don't fear the guards but I bet they fear their mammies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Open dealing proper death drugs is mostly ignored by the Garda, yet if a Brazilian rickshaw driver's selling a €20 bag of grass on the Southside it's undercover task time!!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/dublin-s-drug-dealing-rickshaw-drivers-1.3320494

The dealing rickshaw drivers are selling a hell of a lot more than grass; organised by the same gangs who sell it elsewhere.

All get the same, ineffective, enforcement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

L1011 wrote: »
    The dealing rickshaw drivers are selling a hell of a lot more than grass; organised by the same gangs who sell it elsewhere.

All get the same, ineffective, enforcement.

You're probably right apart from the bolded bit, that is unless you're seeing undercover cops catch small time heroin and ice dealers on the Northside.

And I've seen Gardai walk right by them dealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ProudIRISHman

On the docklands

I've been to the restaurants and bars here on multiple occasions and without fail there will be a group of young thugs roaming the place and causing trouble. I've seen them repeatedly throw (what I assume to be a stolen) bike at a boat that was docked there. I've seen them throw rocks at Spanish kids and attack them. Ive seen them go right up to people sitting outside Ely and stealing their drinks, knocking over the tables, throwing waterbombs or eggs at people. I've seen them attack skateboarders, foreigners and vandalize cars.

I have no idea why they are drawn to that area but more importantly why the hell the guards aren't doing anything? One of our premier hotels is there, lots of tourists and visitors go to Grand Canal and quite a few businesses that are being attacked daily. What worse is the garda station is around the corner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

On the docklands

I've been to the restaurants and bars here on multiple occasions and without fail there will be a group of young thugs roaming the place and causing trouble. I've seen them repeatedly throw (what I assume to be a stolen) bike at a boat that was docked there. I've seen them throw rocks at Spanish kids and attack them. Ive seen them go right up to people sitting outside Ely and stealing their drinks, knocking over the tables, throwing waterbombs or eggs at people. I've seen them attack skateboarders, foreigners and vandalize cars.

I have no idea why they are drawn to that area but more importantly why the hell the guards aren't doing anything? One of our premier hotels is there, lots of tourists and visitors go to Grand Canal and quite a few businesses that are being attacked daily. What worse is the garda station is around the corner!

A lot of very rough areas around there, particularly Sheriff Street. I've seen everything you've described as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I have witnessed all the things you mention but to be fair at least around the Grand Canal Square it is better than it used to be (not sure about the North Docklands) . A few years back it was a total mess so I think the guards have been helping a bit to be fair (problem is that all the can do is showing their presence to ensure quietness at a given time, they can’t treat the issue in the long term as there will be no follow-up when they arrest people, which is very ressource consuming for them hence expensive for taxpayers). I have been living there since 2009 and the worst point was around 2013-14 where groups of thugs were causing issues very regularly. I’m not saying it is now sorted in any way though - it’s just better - and for exemple you can clearly see the staff and the Spar and Fresh getting anxious when they see a group of teenagers wearing woodies and the like roaming around the shop (I would hate to be the guy in charge of Spar alone in the evening probably for minimal wage, when 5 or 10 of them get in the shop and start helping themselves with items,; realistically there is nothing you can do and it is a very bad pay for the stress you are going through).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,213 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Bob24 wrote: »
    getting anxious when they see a group of teenagers wearing woodies

Phnarrr phnarrr phnarrr
    I have no idea why they are drawn to that area
    Possibly because they lived there, long before the bankers arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Nermal

Possibly because they lived there, long before the bankers arrived.

So what? Times change. Scobies need to be relocated to sink estates outside the M50, where they won't occupy valuable land or offend the rest of us.

Nermal wrote: »
    So what? Times change. Scobies need to be relocated to sink estates outside the M50, where they won't occupy valuable land or offend the rest of us.

Yeah, that worked really well when the did exactly that in Ballymun, didn't it? You being offended is not a good reason for ethnic cleansing.

Yeah, that worked really well when the did exactly that in Ballymun, didn't it? You being offended is not a good reason for ethnic cleansing.

It worked well for people who didn't have to go through Ballymun, yes. Thankfully scobies have so far not been legally defined as an ethnic group.

It worked well for people who didn't have to go through Ballymun, yes. Thankfully scobies have so far not been legally defined as an ethnic group.

Funnily enough, cities don't generally work like that. People tend to mix, in and out of areas. One lesson learnt by local authorities all over the world is that ripping people out of their communities isn't a sustainable solution. It doesn't work for anyone.

Funnily enough, cities don't generally work like that. People tend to mix, in and out of areas. One lesson learnt by local authorities all over the world is that ripping people out of their communities isn't a sustainable solution. It doesn't work for anyone.

Not true. In many continental cities there is virtually no crime in the city centre because the bad areas are way out in the suburbs

Not true. In many continental cities there is virtually no crime in the city centre because the bad areas are way out in the suburbs
    Please name a specific continental city with 'virtually no crime in the city centre'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Greyling

They probably have the same opinion of you. You're probably from outside the m50 though so it makes more sense for you to go home.

Please name a specific continental city with 'virtually no crime in the city centre'.

Berlin, Munich, Brussels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Greyling

Brussels? Really?

• Advertisement

From https://www.osac.gov/pages/ContentReportDetails.aspx?cid=21158 - my bolding for emphasis
    Belgium remains relatively free of violent crime, but low-level street crime is common for a country capital this size. Muggings, purse snatchings, and pickpocketing occur frequently throughout Belgium. Thieves often loiter in transportation hubs like the Metro (subway) and train stations to take advantage of disoriented or distracted travelers.

In Brussels, pickpocketing, purse snatching, and theft of light luggage and laptops are prevalent at the three major train stations: the North Station (Noordstation or Gare du Nord); the Central Station (Centraal Station or Gare Central); and especially the South Station (Zuidstation or Gare du Midi, the primary international train hub). Criminals frequently work in pairs or as part of an organized gang, often with a high degree of skill and sophistication in selecting victims and places to commit crime. One common trick is for the thief to ask you for directions while an accomplice steals your luggage. Small groups of young men sometimes prey on unwary tourists, usually at night and often in Metro stations in Brussels. Thieves typically seek small, high-value items such as smart phones and MP3 players. RSO advise you to pay particularly close attention to your personal belongings when in Metro and train stations. Thieves watch for people who put their luggage down and are inattentive. It is a good idea to hold onto your hand luggage and not to place carry-on luggage on overhead racks in trains.

Another growing problem, especially in Brussels, is theft from vehicles, both moving and parked. Police report an increase in smash-and-grab incidents over levels seen in previous years. Thieves will sometimes position themselves at traffic lights to scan for valuables in stopped cars. If they see a purse or other valuable item, they break the window and steal the item before you have time to react. Park in secure areas or parking garages.

Ok, I'll backtrack a bit. What I mean is you don't get the kind of anti social behaviour that you see every day in Dubllin; you don't get thousands of junkies wandering around aimlessly. It's fundamentally a consequence of bad planning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich

Why exactly is the heroin problem more visible in Dublin then any place I’ve ever been in the world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Why exactly is the heroin problem more visible in Dublin then any place I’ve ever been in the world?

It’s not policed.

Greyling wrote: »
    They probably have the same opinion of you. You're probably from outside the m50 though so it makes more sense for you to go home.

I'm as Dublin as toasted batch bread. I don't care what their opinion is or how long they were there, I just don't want undesireables hanging around the city. Stick them somewhere else and make sure there's no public transport there.

I'm as Dublin as toasted batch bread. I don't care what their opinion is or how long they were there, I just don't want undesireables hanging around the city. Stick them somewhere else and make sure there's no public transport there.

Is there any particular reason why public planning, transport and justice policies should be based around your unpleasant personal opinions? Have you any expertise in these matters or any relevant research to share?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dublin doesn't really have a big population of petty criminals, its the same guys over and over that the system keep on a merry go round of convictions without any real consequences. The fact that the city is now over stocked tourists is not helping. Every city that's over saturated with tourists will have a industry of ne'er do wells living off them

Wasting your time with the guards, They're expensive to keep, not enough of them and their priorities are elsewhere. New force required whose remit is solely keeping the peace, build a couple of holding tanks in the city centre and let them move on or lift every miscreant they come across. Knowing you're going to spend most of your day locked up will soften a lot of coughs when it comes to blaggarding. Ankle bracelet on every conviction so a skanger tracking program can be launched.

This problem has been solved in other countries already, the stakeholders just don't want to invest the resources.

Bambi wrote: »
    This problem has been solved in other countries already, the stakeholders just don't want to invest the resources.

What countries have solved the problem, and how have they solved it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

I gather all drug treatment is done in the city center and junkies get free public transport. That would make it more visible than if treatment was near where people lived.

(facts learned on the internet so they may be gross simplifications or wrong)

• Advertisement

Treatment centres in the inner city attracts them from all parts of the city. Also, very deprived inner city ares (Sean McDermott St. Sheriff Street etc) within walking distance of O'Connell Street.

Advertisement