Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assault in IFSC/Spencer Dock. What the hell is wrong with this city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Bambi wrote: »
    Dublin doesn't really have a big population of petty criminals, its the same guys over and over that the system keep on a merry go round of convictions without any real consequences. The fact that the city is now over stocked tourists is not helping. Every city that's over saturated with tourists will have a industry of ne'er do wells living off them

Wasting your time with the guards, They're expensive to keep, not enough of them and their priorities are elsewhere. New force required whose remit is solely keeping the peace, build a couple of holding tanks in the city centre and let them move on or lift every miscreant they come across. Knowing you're going to spend most of your day locked up will soften a lot of coughs when it comes to blaggarding. Ankle bracelet on every conviction so a skanger tracking program can be launched.

This problem has been solved addressed in other countries already, the stakeholders just don't want to invest the resources.

Solved is probably overstating the case,but in many other juristictions,there is certainly a more robust attitude taken towards those who,in Dublin,would merely get a nod from a passing Garda.

The question as to why so much of the Human Race require such a great variety of chemical stimulants to function is one for another forum,but the question of,how far those of us who do NOT use/abuse drugs/alcohol or other people,can be expected to go to accomodate their requirements remains a valid one.

The "Holding Tank" suggestion is certainly worth some further consideration,as in my experience,the regulars who are involved in low-level supply of drugs tend to be ALWAYS in a hurry to get someplace else,whether by on foot,bicycle,car or public transport.

Try delaying one of these lads sometime and you'll get a tutorial in aggressive impatience...so the appropriate response to me,seems to be delay the hell out each and every one of them,until they get the message.

The reality of proposing,or introducing ANY of these type of responses,is that certain elements of the Legal Profession itself will be the very first to attempt to frustate the process....Why that should be is another question altogether...;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

psinno wrote: »
    I gather all drug treatment is done in the city center and junkies get free public transport. That would make it more visible than if treatment was near where people lived.

(facts learned on the internet so they may be gross simplifications or wrong)

For a large number of the users of the clinics, they are actually close to where they live. There's several large deprived areas with significant social problems within a very short walk of O'Connell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,993 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Solved is probably overstating the case,but in many other juristictions,there is certainly a more robust attitude taken towards those who,in Dublin,would merely get a nod from a passing Garda.
    Which jurisdictions are you thinking about here?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭phoenix49

Please name a specific continental city with 'virtually no crime in the city centre'.

There are probably hundreds of such cities. But for the sake of this topic, my friend lives in Vancouver, Canada and he says there's one street (maybe a block), called East Hastings where all the scum are concentrated. Law enforcement do not enforce anything there but ensure that they don't leave the area either. They provide medical services to them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

de-scumming the city center is badly needed, it an embarrassment
    but there seems very little political will to tackle the issue
    will it probably take a tourist to be stabbed or beaten to death before somethings done

• Advertisement

will it probably take a tourist to be stabbed or beaten to death before somethings done
    Tourist - I doubt it, a politician - maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ProudIRISHman

I would like to see the Gardai invest in a holding truck that would drive around the city centre picking up anyone involved in anti-social or criminal actions. When it fills it capacity it would drop the thugs off to a holding centre for the day/night and then go back out again. This would free up Gardai squad cars and would mean that the actual arresting garda wouldn't have to go back to the station to process the individuals. The Guards in the truck would record the arresting guards statements and they would be processed by guards in the holding centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

LXFlyer wrote: »
    For a large number of the users of the clinics, they are actually close to where they live. There's several large deprived areas with significant social problems within a very short walk of O'Connell Street.

Deprived of what exactly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich

We have a very generous social welfare scheme and the inner city social housing are more than I could ever afford in the city centre. I couldn’t get close to renting or owning something like that. What is their excuse nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,993 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I would like to see the Gardai invest in a holding truck that would drive around the city centre picking up anyone involved in anti-social or criminal actions.
    So this would include every driver that breaks the speed limit or breaks a red light, right? We're gonna need a bigger truck.
    Chinasea wrote: »
    Any reasonably possibility of any job beyond minimum wage perhaps?
    We have a very generous social welfare scheme and the inner city social housing are more than I could ever afford in the city centre. I couldn’t get close to renting or owning something like that. What is their excuse nowadays?
    Probably the fact that two people on minimum wage jobs haven't got a hope in hell of renting their own property.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

So this would include every driver that breaks the speed limit or breaks a red light, right? We're gonna need a bigger truck.

You would need 2 trucks for cyclists. But this is for another thread..

Families have been living there for generations. It is there home not just a gaff they rent for a year or two.

And the majority work btw.

Who would you "de-scum"? The drunks (local/international or both), the locals, or just anyone that you think is below you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Families have been living there for generations. It is there home not just a gaff they rent for a year or two.

??

So if you grow up in an area, you are automatically entitled to live There?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

I would be kinda surprised if they do tbh. The percentage of people who work is quite low even if you only count adults. Labour force participation is only about 60% in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Who would you "de-scum"? The drunks (local/international or both), the locals, or just anyone that you think is below you?

Targeting anyone who is involved in criminal and/or violent activities and showing zero tolerance for these behaviours would be a good start. And just to do that there is a lot of work.

Chinasea wrote: »

Ok - I’ll rephrase that. Areas of social deprivation. Some of the poorest areas of the city.

FYI I’m not defending it - just pointing out that many of the users of the clinics are actually living locally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Any reasonably possibility of any job beyond minimum wage perhaps?

Probably the fact that two people on minimum wage jobs haven't got a hope in hell of renting their own property.

A Marxist would say you are confusing proletariat with lumpen proletariat.

Nobody has a problem with people on minimum waged jobs in the city centre. The druggies are not workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Scum is a subjective term and everyone has their own definition.

The scum I'm referring to here are the ones highlighted in a number of posts in this thread, the type of scum that attack and threaten people for no reason. I see them every day, some are drug addicts, plenty are not. They make no contribution to society, they only take.

Scum thrive in a light touch law enforcement/judicial environment like we have here. Scooping them up on a daily basis as someone on here has suggested would be great start to making this city a nicer and safer place to live, work and visit.

Today I was walking down from the Abbey st. Luas stop on Marlborough str towards the Liffey. Three teenage scums were trying to steal a bike and were swearing/shouting at bypassers. I saw a man who told them something (probably to leave a bike alone), one of the guys literally took his hoodie off and tried to intimidate the person :D. This happened an hour ago on a street with lots of people. Now I'm not even sure what is worse: homeless people on the streets of american cities or cheeky overprotected teenage kids over here?

This is not only happening in the city centre, I live in a D15 suburb and I try to get used to these kind of issues with kids trying house/car door handles during night and day, is that normal? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Nothing surprises me about Dublin City. We've basically allowed a small minority of useless tossers ruin it for the rest of us. And to be truthfully honest I'm as guilty as everyone else, If I notice anti-social behaviour I just keep my head down and continue walking.

It's simply not worth the hassle to get involved.

Closing the main Garda station in the area (Fitzgibbon St) hasn’t exactly helped the situation. Following Enda Kenny’s meetings with local people it was supposed to reopen, but nothing has happened.

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Nothing surprises me about Dublin City. We've basically allowed a small minority of useless tossers ruin it for the rest of us. And to be truthfully honest I'm as guilty as everyone else, If I notice anti-social behaviour I just keep my head down and continue walking.

It's simply not worth the hassle to get involved.

You or i or anyone else shouldn't need to get involved. It's the Gardai's job to do that sort of work. I think the two lads who featured in the 'Ahhhh Heyooooooooooor leave ih' ouh' YouTube video should be put in charge of ridding these vermin from our streets. :pac:

You or i or anyone else shouldn't need to get involved. It's the Gardai's job to do that sort of work. I think the two lads who featured in the 'Ahhhh Heyooooooooooor leave ih' ouh' YouTube video should be put in charge of ridding these vermin from our streets. :pac:

Actually if we we had an efficient policing/judiciary system the Gardai wouldn’t need to do anything either as this kind of incident wouldn’t even happen on our streets.

I once heard that an efficient police force is one you don’t even see on the streets (not 100% sure anymore but I think it was a Singapore politician) and I tend to agree; although to be fair achieving this is not just about the police force itself but also about society as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

You or i or anyone else shouldn't need to get involved.It's the Gardai's job to do that sort of work. I think the two lads who featured in the 'Ahhhh Heyooooooooooor leave ih' ouh' YouTube video should be put in charge of ridding these vermin from our streets. :pac:

What Gardai? The last few occasions I've been in town I didn't even see one Garda on patrol. The fact is if sh*t kicks off you'd want to be a very good sprinter or can defend yourself because by the time the Gardai arrive you'll most likely be left in a heap on the ground.

And you can certainly forget about people trying to help you, people don't give a fcuk anymore, they'll step over you if they think you're in the way :mad:

And I'm guilty of it too, I'm not throwing the blame at everyone else and making myself out to be perfect.

Faith+1 wrote: »
    What Gardai? The last few occasions I've been in town I didn't even see one Garda on patrol. The fact is if sh*t kicks off you'd want to be a very good sprinter or can defend yourself because by the time the Gardai arrive you'll most likely be left in a heap on the ground.

And you can certainly forget about people trying to help you, people don't give a fcuk anymore, they'll step over you if they think you're in the way :mad:

And I'm guilty of it too, I'm not throwing the blame at everyone else and making myself out to be perfect.

How can you help them? If you see 2 thugs attacking someone and you try to intervene, you could most likely get kicked to death. So only the bravest with fighting skills are going to intervene. I haven't been in a fight since I was a teenager ffs.

I work in town and NEVER see Garda around. I have to say though I work in the leafier parts of the city centre and apart from beggars everywhere you don't really see any trouble. The Northside on the other hand...

How can you help them? If you see 2 thugs attacking someone and you try to intervene, you could most likely get kicked to death. So only the bravest with fighting skills are going to intervene. I haven't been in a fight since I was a teenager ffs.

This. And also you could end-up having to show-up in court and getting a conviction for taking part in a fight. The thugs you got involved with won’t care as they probably go there regularily, but it might be a problem for you (it would be for me anyway).

I’d say there is a mix between people not caring and knowing that at the end of the day there is nothing they can do and it might create huge trouble for them.

Was in New York last month and i really enjoyed the fact that i saw police every few steps in the city. I know Dublin and New York are two very different places but just seeing them made me feel really safe walking about in which let's face it would be a very dangerous city. Walking around Dublin on the other hand......

My friend and I were held up by two knackers with syringes in the mid 90s actually, on O'Connell st, forgot about that. I've been all over the world and never has anything like that happened.
    I remember we told a Garda at the GPO and he just asked for a description and did nothing else. They were equally as incompetent back then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

When Robert Peel set up the first police force he said the purpose of a police force is to patrol on foot the streets to prevent crime. A guard is useless arriving on the scene after a crime has been committed. The lack of a police presence in town is a joke.

Advertisement