Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assault in IFSC/Spencer Dock. What the hell is wrong with this city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

Assault on Talbot Street this evening.Someone was attacked by a gang wielding hurleys.Its getting beyond the joke now.That whole area around O'Connell Street and it's surrounding area, is out of control.

www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2018/0503/960152-assault-dublin-city-centre/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Assault on Talbot Street this evening.Someone was attacked by a gang wielding hurleys.Its getting beyond the joke now.That whole area around O'Connell Street and it's surrounding area, is out of control.

I would tend to feel safer on Talbot Street than most other streets in that area as it is always busy with many restaurants, shops and offices. But Maybe I'm wrong :-s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Prob a planned attack, not some random one. And the area is not out of control.

Move if you feel unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

prinzeugen wrote: »

Move if you feel unsafe.

Animals living around there. And some of us work there too. Unfortunately we have to use Connolly Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ProudIRISHman

Coincidentally just received a whatsapp from my boss. Colleague X was punched several times by a group of 5 teenagers on his way home from work. Where was he attacked you might wonder? You guessed it - Grand Canal.

The guy is an Indian who has just moved over from London only a few weeks ago. Great introduction to Dublin. Probably targeted him because he was Indian too. The guy is a really nice, quiet guy who had been so excited to try his first Guinness and when he heard our Taoiseah was half-Indian was incredibly impressed by how progressive we must be.

I'll be heading into work today to apologise on behalf of this scummy city. Our boss doesn't even know if he will be in, says he is shook up and that we should be nice to him without being obvious if he does come in.

Jokeshop of a city.

• Advertisement

Move if you feel unsafe.

Friends of mine used to live in an apartment next to Tesco on Talbot Street. Junkies were regularity found doing their things in the lobby ... and eventually what had to happen happened: one of them broke into their apartment.

Out if countrol it is ... and they indeed moved as soon as they had a kid.

They are the exact of opposite of posh people with postcode snobbery and are not too demanding about where they live, but they didn’t want their child to grow up in such an environment. My firends were foolishly considering buying an apartment on Folley Street (great bargain for a fancy and central apartment, but you will know why very quickly when you move there), and the guards themselves (which they saw due to the break-in) told them it was a bad idea as there are multiple incidents their on a daily basis.

Deedsie wrote: »
    He moved from London? There is never any assaults in London sure? No one is ever stabbed or has acid thrown at them?

I'm not condoning the violence in Dublin, it's disgusting anywhere but maybe let's have a small bit of reality that regrettably this is not just a Dublin problem.

London has a population of what nearly 23 million? Dublin is 1.5 million. This didn't happen in a ****hole area. This happened in the most upmarket city center location where our premier hotels, law firms and multinational office blocks are based.

It's a joke. Dublin is a TINY city and people get assaulted regularly in one of the most upmarket apartment developments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Coincidentally just received a whatsapp from my boss. Colleague X was punched several times by a group of 5 teenagers on his way home from work. Where was he attacked you might wonder? You guessed it - Grand Canal.

The guy is an Indian who has just moved over from London only a few weeks ago. Great introduction to Dublin. Probably targeted him because he was Indian too. The guy is a really nice, quiet guy who had been so excited to try his first Guinness and when he heard our Taoiseah was half-Indian was incredibly impressed by how progressive we must be.

I'll be heading into work today to apologise on behalf of this scummy city. Our boss doesn't even know if he will be in, says he is shook up and that we should be nice to him without being obvious if he does come in.

Jokeshop of a city.

sickening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Greyling

London has a population of what nearly 23 million? Dublin is 1.5 million. This didn't happen in a ****hole area. This happened in the most upmarket city center location where our premier hotels, law firms and multinational office blocks are based.

It's a joke. Dublin is a TINY city and people get assaulted regularly in one of the most upmarket apartment developments.

There's nothing upmarket about that part of town. It's a working class area. In saying that I lived there for 15 years and never had an ounce of trouble. Literally nothing.

Greyling wrote: »
    There's nothing upmarket about that part of town. It's a working class area. In saying that I lived there for 15 years and never had an ounce of trouble. Literally nothing.

I think upmarket development was referring to Spencer Dock (as per the thread title).

I is fairly upmarket to me when I look rents there or the price of buying an apartment in it.

But to be clear, working class area and super posh area ... crime and violence shouldn’t be accepted anywhere.

• Advertisement

Bob24 wrote: »
    I think upmarket development was referring to Spencer Dock (as per the thread title).

I is fairly upmarket to me when I look rents there or the price of buying an apartment in it.

But to be clear, working class area and super posh area ... crime and violence shouldn’t be accepted anywhere.

I was referring to the incident in Grand Canal which has very few apartments and most of the housing in Pearse Street and Ringsend is still social.

I was referring to the incident in Grand Canal which has very few apartments and most of the housing in Pearse Street and Ringsend is still social.

Well private apartments in Grand Canal Dock are even more upmarket than Spencer Dock. You’d be 2k per month for a one bed in most of them.

There are much poorer adjacent to it, but GCD itself is as upmarket as it gets in Dublin aside from a few Ballsbridge locations.

Well private apartments in Grand Canal Dock are even more upmarket than Spencer Dock. You’d be 2k per month for a one bed in most of them.

Yeah and you'll get a gaff for free around the corner when your time comes. What's your point?

Yeah and you'll get a gaff for free around the corner when your time comes. What's your point?

My point is that GCD is absolutely upmarket.

Again not that it matters, crime is a problem regardless of property prices and everyone deserves to live in a safe environment. But this kind of incident doesn’t exactly helps Dublin’s international reputation as the fairly affluent and internationally mobile crowd living in an area like GCD will spread the word about this beyond Irish borders.

Deedsie wrote: »
    More like 9 or 10 million in London. 50 murders so far this year

London metro area, if we do the same for Dublin the population is 1 million. Its a joke.

What so if London is 10 times the population and there has been 50 murders then per capita Dublin would need to have less than 5 murders this year. Has that been the case? No? Well to go on 2016 figures (only i could find) there were 38 murders across Ireland and I am assuming most of them were in Dublin.

Has London had 380 murders this year? Because per capita thats what they would need to be in a similar state to Ireland.

Honestly I cant believe I am arguing this. We are a tiny city and people get stabbed, attacked by groups with hurlys, beaten randomly REGULARLY. IN THE CITY CENTRE! Walk down O'Connell, Talbot Street, Quays and tell me the city doesnt have a RIDICULOUS crime problem?

Honestly those protecting Dublin to the hilt are part of the problem. The city is full of junkies walking around bothering tourists, shooting up all over the city, gangs of kids regularly running into centras and robbing the place, shouting racist abuse at black security (if they work in the shop in question), assaulting spanish exchange students, smashing up shops I could go on..

My point is that it is absolutely upmarket.

Dalkey or Blackrock are upmarket. Ringsend is the inner city. You can rebrand it and sell a load of dopes a lie but it will always be a predominantly working class area.

Dalkey or Blackrock are upmarket. Ringsend is the inner city. You can rebrand it and sell a load of dopes a lie but it will always be a predominantly working class area.

Turf the families of these scumbags out of the area. Put them well outside Dublin where they belong and they can commute 90 minutes into the city like people who actually WORK AND PAY FOR THEIR HOME.

GCD, Spencer Dock - all upmarket now. The scumbags don't deserve to live in such a central location if they are going to act like that. Council should move them. We have a property CRISIS in this city for working people and these welfare recipients get to live in the best locations, everything paid for, money from the working tax payers being assaulted and having their bikes robbed and all they seem to do is drink, take drugs and attack people.

Turf the families of these scumbags out of the area. Put them well outside Dublin where they belong and they can commute 90 minutes into the city like people who actually WORK AND PAY FOR THEIR HOME.

GCD, Spencer Dock - all upmarket now. The scumbags don't deserve to live in such a central location if they are going to act like that. Council should move them. We have a property CRISIS in this city for working people and these welfare recipients get to live in the best locations, everything paid for, money from the working tax payers being assaulted and having their bikes robbed and all they seem to do is drink, take drugs and attack people.

If it's so upmarket why are you wetting the bed about what's going on there?

Since this is off topic I won’t say more that agreeing to disagree on the definition of upmarket.

For me an area in Dublin were 2 bed apartments are selling for 650k is definitely upmarket. For you it seems like it isn’t. Other posters will make up their own mind.

Since this is off topic I won’t say more the agreeing to disagree on the definition of upmarket.

For me an area in Dublin were 2 bed apartments are selling for 650k is definitely upmarket. For you it seems like it isn’t. Other posters will make up their own mind.

I have 15 years experience living there. Just because someone is stupid enough to pay that price for an apartment in a windy, smelly, loud working class part of Dublin doesn't make it in anyway upmarket. In my opinion. But we can agree to disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich

You have to work to be working class. I'm working class, we didn't have much in the 80s when growing up but my parents were from good families and had values and morals. The scum that live in town are just lazy, the dredges of society. No matter how affluent our society becomes it looks like we'll always have this class of people. I'm sick of hearing "they've lived there for generations". So what? I couldn't afford to buy where my parents are so had to move a bit further out. Move them out of the city centre and let working people live there. Let them fester outside the M50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

You have to work to be working class. I'm working class, we didn't have much in the 80s when growing up but my parents were from good families and had values and morals.

I think these days when people say working class they really mean social welfare class.

You have to work to be working class. I'm working class, we didn't have much in the 80s when growing up but my parents were from good families and had values and morals. The scum that live in town are just lazy, the dredges of society. No matter how affluent our society becomes it looks like we'll always have this class of people. I'm sick of hearing "they've lived there for generations". So what? I couldn't afford to buy where my parents are so had to move a bit further out. Move them out of the city centre and let working people live there. Let them fester outside the M50.

Most of my neighbours worked. What are you talking about?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich

Most of my neighbours worked. What are you talking about?

You know what I'm talking about.

Just an update on work colleague. They attacked him calling him a 'Paki' and one of them produced a blade at one point and said he'd cut him. He started walking briskly away and they followed him through the square throwing punches and laughing as he pleaded with them to stop. He says he has seen them before even though he has only been here a short time. The place was full of people and no one stepped in. He said he went into a pizza restaurant and held the door closed and they started kicking it. After a few minutes of waiting around they left. One of the lads from work lives that way and is going to walk home with him this evening after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

psinno wrote: »
    I think these days when people say working class they really mean social welfare class.

There really needs to be another word, to be honest. There's a world of difference between an decent factory worker raising a family in a council estate and his neighbour with substance-abuse problems who never worked a day in his life. These are two very different classes of people.

I think that sometimes the term "Working Class" is used to create confusion between the two. For example, if you complain about junkies some will accuse you of disliking the working class. In reality, most people respect the working classes who actually work. It's those who who contribute nothing and have a net negative impact on society that people take issue with.

I think that sometimes the term "Working Class" is used to create confusion between the two.

Yes absolutely, and I’d say this type of linguistic trick exists in most western countries.

For exemple in France the media would use the term “quartiers populaires” (roughly “working class neighbourhood”) to describe the roughest suburbs of Paris and other French cities which would make Dublin’s north-inner city feel like paradise for a normal law-abiding citizen.

However that word is actually very rarely used to describe the more remote and also more quite towns were a majority of residents are workers on or close to minimal wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭phoenix49

Let them fester outside the M50.

What about people who work and live outside the M50? I'm one who works in city centre and lives outside and there are enough "scumbag class" people there. Moving them is not a solution, the solution is to fix the situation/them. Now there are lots of different methods to accomplish it.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The Gardaí are almost exlcusively vehicle-borne. Very little interest in foot patrol or static security. There was always a congregation of them - or one or two at the very least - at the GPO. Nowadays it's a rare occasion.

It's inexcusable. There should be a task force of Guards dedicated to high-visibility pro-active policing of antiosocial behaviour, but there isn't because no one seems to care. "Ah it'll be grand". Or they can't afford the tasers which the Gardaí would inevitably need since half the force is assaulted every year anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

Move if you feel unsafe.

Well the whole O'Connell Street area and it's environs, and the whole north city centre area in general, is not exactly in an ideal state.I stand over what i said.:) It might not be Johannesburg.But nonetheless, you do need to keep your wits about you in that part of town.;)

Advertisement